News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR should women play with smaller goals?

Started by Neil D, June 14, 2019, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

I caught part of a discussion on Radio 5 this morning about whether women should play with smaller goals than men, given that men are significantly bigger.  This could mitigate the criticism of the poor quality of women goalkeepers.  Well, their poor shooting already goes some way to compensating for this.  But is it a coincidence that the Thai gk who shipped 13 against the US is also the smallest at 165cms (5'5")?
However, ponder this.  When the 24' by 8' goal size was determined back in the 1870s, the average height of a European male was 167cms.  The average height of the goalkeepers in the first round of the women's World Cup is 175cms (5'9") - much bigger than men 150 years ago.  In fact, there's a good case for the size of the men's goals to be bigger to reflect their much bigger stature now.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Neil D

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on June 14, 2019, 08:44:15 PM
Not if you are the Argentinian goalie!
Same thought occurred to me!  But she is significantly taller than the average at 180cms - the tallest at 182 are England, Chile and China. 

AnOldBrownie

No.

I don't see the benefit to their game.   What they should do though, is have the refs start calling some of those fouls that they are letting go.  You know, the kind that would be called in the EPL and most Euro leagues.

filham

Well if we are considering smaller goals then lets not overlook smaller pitches as women are less capable of covering as much ground as men.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: filham on June 14, 2019, 09:27:05 PM
Well if we are considering smaller goals then lets not overlook smaller pitches as women are less capable of covering as much ground as men.

Sarcasm doesn't come through well via text.  Sarcasm?

HobGoblin

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 14, 2019, 09:30:25 PM

Why would it be sarcasm? Are you disputing it?
It's not something that needed saying, perhaps, but it's still a pretty simple and irrefutable statement of fact

Twig

Quote from: Statto on June 14, 2019, 11:06:38 PM

It's not something that needed saying, perhaps, but it's still a pretty simple and irrefutable statement of fact

Sorry but why is that a fact? I was not aware that women cannot run as far as men.  In terms of covering distance I don't think there is any difference.  If filham meant that women can't cover the ground as quickly as men that's a different argument but it isn't what he said. Maybe a simple misunderstanding, depends on what filham intended to convey.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on June 14, 2019, 11:17:03 PM
Quote from: Statto on June 14, 2019, 11:06:38 PM

Sorry but why is that a fact? I was not aware that women cannot run as far as men.  In terms of covering distance I don't think there is any difference.  If filham meant that women can't cover the ground as quickly as men that's a different argument but it isn't what he said. Maybe a simple misunderstanding, depends on what filham intended to convey.

Yes if you take time out the equation, then perhaps women aren't "less capable of covering as much ground as men". In much the same way that I'm capable of covering as much ground as the Kenyan bloke that holds the current world record for a marathon. The only difference between us is that whereas he can run 26 miles in about 2 hours, it takes me about 2 days. But ignoring that small detail, we're both equally good at marathon running.

Of course if you look at it like that, the whole concept of being able or unable to cover a lot of ground becomes pretty meaningless, and certainly has no relevance to football matches, which are played over a fixed period of time (90 minutes). Ergo, I strongly suspect filham was talking about the amount of ground a man/woman can cover in 90 minutes.

AnOldBrownie

Lol..not sure about over in England...but my daughter has played soccer for 12 years and can cover the same amount of ground faster than most 15:year olds can. If the statement wasn't being sarcastic it was definitely an ignorant statement.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Smaller goals, smaller pitches, smaller shorts and smaller tops.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

toshes mate

Interesting OP and discussion that kind of follows the usual 'natural' trends.  Whatever the size of the pitch and goals it's the same for both sides, with the same physical and mental attributes tending to influence outcomes.  As someone who has watched and followed the women's game for quite a long time I note how improvements to fitness, techniques, application, and achievement have been made at the top of the game whilst acknowledging how far the lower echelons have to go to make up ground. 

I was intrigued by the media response to the thirteen goals the US scored against Thailand and remember the times in the men's game when such large scores were regular occurrences.  I hope the women's game adapts and develops its own unique style and doesn't even try to compete like for like with the men's game.   We know the fastest men run faster than the fastest women, but what we don't know is whether the latter will ever catch up.  What I will say is that a good women's match is every bit as entertaining as a good men's match even now. 

Andy S

At what age do young boys first play on a full size pitch? I think it is 14 so you could make the pitches and the goals smaller if it would improve the game

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Nothing to do with football but on the subject of athleticism watch the amazing catches that the English women have made lately in their cricket games. Every bit as good as the men.
Yes the goals should stay the same size and also international refs should clamp down on the cynical fouls made by the Argentinian women who matched their men in that department.
An interesting similarity that I have noticed in this weeks games is that supposedly quality women players are as one footed as our much lauded men. The number of times last night that I saw the situation where on the left wing the move was crying out for a one touch cross. Instead of that the ball was switched to the right food slowing the move and angle of the cross.
Back to goal size I can see teams recruiting beanpole freaks to train as goalkeepers.
All of the England netball team are tall so there are fit girls out there.
Modified - I am not suggesting that our netball girls are beanpole freaks they are very fit!

bog

This was first brought up by one of the England players. I wonder if there would have been an outcry if a male had said this. 

092.gif

grandad

Why don´t the ladies swap their shirts after the game as men do.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Statto

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 15, 2019, 02:48:06 AM
Lol..not sure about over in England...but my daughter has played soccer for 12 years and can cover the same amount of ground faster than most 15:year olds can. If the statement wasn't being sarcastic it was definitely an ignorant statement.
I think you are confusing (a) the concept that men are on average, or at the elite level, physically faster, stronger, bigger etc than women with (b) the concept that every single man in the world is faster, stronger, bigger etc than every single woman in the world. (a) is true. (b) is untrue. Saying (a) is not ignorant.

Woolly Mammoth

I thoroughly enjoy watching the England Lionesses playing Football, Cricket and Rugby and most other sports. I note you don't see them surrounding the referee screaming like the spoilt brat men's footballers of today. I find the women competitive and entertaining, athletic not forgetting the skill.
It case you haven't noticed women are built and made differently to men, and I don't see any swollen egos on the field of play wanting to be massaged either.
Women have come along way in team sports over the years, and good luck to them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jims Dentist

I am really enjoying these women's games, there is much skill and technique on show.
Regarding the OP, the Scotland GK certainly got caught out against Japan due to lack of height.
Also am I imagining it or is England's excellent LB Greenwood playing games while wearing her false eyelashes??