watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jokanovic named new head coach of Qatar Super League side Al Gharafa

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 16, 2019, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Qatar Stars League outfit Al Gharafa SC have appointed former Fulham and Watford manager Slavisa Jokanovic as their new head coach ahead of the new season.

The 50-year-old Jokanovic has gained a strong reputation in England where he helped both Watford and Fulham gain promotion to the Premier League in 2015 and 2018 respectively.

He has almost managed Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel as well as has prior experience in Asian football after serving as the head coach of Thai League giants Muangthong United during the 2012-13 season.

Jokanovic has signed a two-year contract with Al Gharafa and will replace French coach Christian Gourcuff.

The Cheetahs finished eighth in the Qatar Stars League last season with a squad boasting the likes of Dutch legend Wesley Sneijder and IR Iran's Mehdi Taremi and will be hoping to return to AFC Champions League with an improved domestic showing next season under their new coach.

Jokanovic was a defensive midfielder during his playing days for Yugoslavia and clubs including CD Tenerife and Chelsea. He was one of the names rumoured to replace Antonio Conte as Chelsea boss last summer.

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/asian-football/1119763/former-premier-league-manager-slavisa-jokanovic-named-new-head-coach-of-qatar-super-league-side-al-gharafa/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Milo

Another pay-out and then back to sunny Spain to drink wine with his wife? Don't blame him. Pleased he's not managing someone else in the Championship!

hovewhite

bog

Good luck to Slav. I will never forget him Thanks for the wonderful memories Slav.  082.gif   :54: 049:gif

092.gif

aster

Such a disappointment. I thought he had ambitions as a coach, he had a talent. Now, it turns out he is just after money (and he is far from poor). Al Giraffe is really not what I expected as his next choice.

elgreenio

bit of a shame but he's still young for a manager and it's hard to begrudge him taking the money that will probably set a fair few generations of his family up in the long run (interest in American sports taking its toll on me). He'll have plenty left in the tank for when something more competitive comes up
touch my camera through the fence

bobby01

I find this quite sad, I watched some fantastic football during his tenure. I will always remember him fondly.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

aster

Mince n Tatties

Maybe he just wants back in the game,he was interviewed wasn't he? for Boro,Forest and West Brom
and wasn't successful.
Or maybe he turned them all down,who knows.

aster

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 16, 2019, 08:08:05 PM
Maybe he just wants back in the game,he was interviewed wasn't he? for Boro,Forest and West Brom
and wasn't successful.

There is a difference between not being successful and turning down offers because they were not satisfactory financially (that is what he was doing). He could have easily taken over a Championship team at least, and a good one for that matter. He also could have taken over Serbia.

Bassey the warrior

Not a good career move. He's not being very ambitious. Shame really, he did brilliantly with us.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: bog on June 16, 2019, 05:18:23 PM
Good luck to Slav. I will never forget him Thanks for the wonderful memories Slav.  082.gif   :54: 049:gif

092.gif
0001.jpeg

HV71

Somehow I just don't buy the fact that this move is about nothing else than money, (and even if it is - then who could blame him ?) . Maybe he has been given carte blanche to build a team in any way he feels fit - which I am pretty certain would appeal to him

I can only wish him all the best as , for me , he was treated shabbily by ourselves , and the wrong man was the scapegoat. I can only hope that I live long enough (unlikely ) to see such exciting football at the Cottage again . A true legend as far as I am concerned

Southcoastffc

Quote from: HV71 on June 16, 2019, 08:49:58 PM
Somehow I just don't buy the fact that this move is about nothing else than money, (and even if it is - then who could blame him ?) . Maybe he has been given carte blanche to build a team in any way he feels fit - which I am pretty certain would appeal to him

I can only wish him all the best as , for me , he was treated shabbily by ourselves , and the wrong man was the scapegoat. I can only hope that I live long enough (unlikely ) to see such exciting football at the Cottage again . A true legend as far as I am concerned
:plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

aaronmcguigan

While this looks like a stepping stone move, getting a managerial job 3 years before a World Cup in Qatar gives him a great chance to develop a team to allow home grown players to grow and flourish to be able to perform at the World Cup.
You never know it could be a stepping stone to the actual Qatar national team.  Fairplay to the man for getting back in the game. He has shown time and time again that he can go to far flung countries like Israel and Thailand and perform, and earning a return to a big league.

Andy S

Totally agree. Good luck wherever you go and whatever you do. He gave us some good times

filham

I suspect his failure to adapt to the premier  league with us has not helped him as he has not had an offer from a good club.
This really is a come down for him, going to be hard for him to get back to the championship or premier league now.

Statto

Terrible move.

A stepping stone to nothing - when did a decent club in Europe ever recruit a manager because they "did really well in Qatar"?!

Also an awful place to live and work. Horrible, mad culture, horrible climate. I hope for his family's sake he's left them in Spain.

There must surely be more to this than meets the eye. This is the sort of move Steve Kean made after getting Blackburn relegated. How can Jokanovic have gone from being talked about as the next Chelsea manager, to that, in the space of 12 months?

Another career ruined by Tony f****** Khan