watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

No Changes, Where Do We Finish?

Started by The Rock, June 20, 2019, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

If we don't turn morale around this season, then I doubt we will turn it around early enough to get promoted back up before the parachute payments ends.

Fernhurst

Talk S@@@ super computer published the league yesterday using all relevant data as of next May.
We were top and Leeds second.

So that's settled then.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

KJS

Two Ton Ted

Mitrovic is the key. Keep him, he's a 20 goal a season striker and we'll be in the range of a play off finish.

I'm still not sure about our defence, hence we will concede a lot of goals still, which will deprive us of an automatic place.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Andy S

No changes is not very likely but I would say that a reasonable start would give us something to build on. Teams would see us as very dangerous so without a doubt a top two side

Fernhurst

I remember lots and lots of media expectation when we last suffered relegation.
Despite us changing to a first 11 based on our youth team we remained favourites initially to bounce back to The Prem.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SuffolkWhite

I'm not sure about top 2 but certainly top 6 as squad stands. I would add a CH, and another striker though.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

St Eve

Top 6 with no changes. 3 good additions including a partner for Mitro then we win it

Chutney

Our defence is worse than it was the year we went up, and it was vulnerable at times that year, we would finish mid table as is.
C O Y W

ALG01

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 20, 2019, 10:35:36 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 20, 2019, 09:48:41 PM
squad stays as it is we will finish 16th plus or minus four places
our full backs are nwhere near up to it, we only have mitro up front and we need a proper fit center half not one that has a clear continuing issue.
we aso need to get shot of the players like seri and anguissa that are clearly destabilising influences.

Bryan was the best LWB in the championship

We'll see. He has been Ok but defensively the errors he makes week in week out will cost us. He hesitates when confronting an oncoming winger allowing space for crosses, in the prem that was ruthlessly exploited again and again. In the championship the quality of cross and ability to finish is less but that failing will count against us. I cannot speak for what I did not see at Bristol City, we need better IMO.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ALG01 on June 21, 2019, 01:44:31 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on June 20, 2019, 10:35:36 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on June 20, 2019, 09:48:41 PM
squad stays as it is we will finish 16th plus or minus four places
our full backs are nwhere near up to it, we only have mitro up front and we need a proper fit center half not one that has a clear continuing issue.
we aso need to get shot of the players like seri and anguissa that are clearly destabilising influences.

Bryan was the best LWB in the championship

We'll see. He has been Ok but defensively the errors he makes week in week out will cost us. He hesitates when confronting an oncoming winger allowing space for crosses, in the prem that was ruthlessly exploited again and again. In the championship the quality of cross and ability to finish is less but that failing will count against us. I cannot speak for what I did not see at Bristol City, we need better IMO.

I'd mirror everything you said...but I'd also say the drop off from Matt to Joe Bryan wasn't that large and Joe should be fine for the championship.

The much bigger problems imo would be the other FB spot, and a true #1 CB.   Fulham need a leader on that back line and I don't think Mawson will see more than half of Fulham's games next season. 

Deeping_white

Quote from: Chutney on June 21, 2019, 01:33:00 PM
Our defence is worse than it was the year we went up, and it was vulnerable at times that year, we would finish mid table as is.

Keeper will be Betts again, Bryan and Targett are equals in terms of ability and arguably Bryan shades it having been consistently one of the best left backs in the Championship over the past two seasons he was there. Mawson is better than Ream, Odoi would probably be at CB still so no change there, and only Christie for Freddo is the obvious downgrade, and Christie showed he's more than adequate for a top 6 team in the championship during our run last season, so how's it an overall worse defence??

Statto

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 21, 2019, 03:55:13 PM
Quote from: Chutney on June 21, 2019, 01:33:00 PM

Keeper will be Betts again, Bryan and Targett are equals in terms of ability and arguably Bryan shades it having been consistently one of the best left backs in the Championship over the past two seasons he was there. Mawson is better than Ream, Odoi would probably be at CB still so no change there, and only Christie for Freddo is the obvious downgrade, and Christie showed he's more than adequate for a top 6 team in the championship during our run last season, so how's it an overall worse defence??

Exactly

Sgt Fulham

Comfortably first. The gap in quality between the two leagues is just so large.

filham

So, at the moment the team is:-

Betts
                         Odoi               Mawson         Ream           Bryan   

MacDonald          Johansen

Cairney
                          Kamara                                                     Sess.
                                                       Mitrovic

That does not look too bad but is not as strong at full back as the team that last played in the Championship. It could possibly finish in the top six.

Now take away those front three and replace them with panic buys late in July and the team starts ill prepared and not good enough for a top half of the table finish.

We need to get our transfer business sorted within the next two or three weeks.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: filham on June 21, 2019, 06:44:06 PM
So, at the moment the team is:-

Betts
                         Odoi               Mawson         Ream           Bryan   

MacDonald          Johansen

Cairney
                          Kamara                                                     Sess.
                                                       Mitrovic

That does not look too bad but is not as strong at full back as the team that last played in the Championship. It could possibly finish in the top six.

Now take away those front three and replace them with panic buys late in July and the team starts ill prepared and not good enough for a top half of the table finish.

We need to get our transfer business sorted within the next two or three weeks.

With the squad we have as of today I'd expect;
4-2-3-1
Bettinelli; Christie, Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan; Zambo, Seri; Ayite, Cairney, Sessegnon; Mitrovic.

Fabri/Rodak, Odoi, Ream, McDonald, Johansen, O'Riley, Kamara/Kebano.

Unless you're factoring in the fact that Zambo and Seri won't be starting the season because of AFCON, but then Ream probably won't either given he probably won't be back in until the 3rd week of July after the Gold Cup.

General

just thinking about playing Millwall last season. Think if we did keep the same squad players like Anguissa would dominate the league. Seriously need to, as always, sort out our up front competition and whole defence. We were kidding ourselves thinking ream Odoi and Bryan and christie were ever going to be good enough for the premiership. They were average to poor in the Championship.

Deeping_white

Quote from: General on June 21, 2019, 06:54:05 PM
just thinking about playing Millwall last season. Think if we did keep the same squad players like Anguissa would dominate the league. Seriously need to, as always, sort out our up front competition and whole defence. We were kidding ourselves thinking ream Odoi and Bryan and christie were ever going to be good enough for the premiership. They were average to poor in the Championship.

Again where has the notion that Bryan was poor in the championship come from? Do people not pay attention to any other team than Fulham even if they're in the same league? If you're thinking back to that game against Millwall last season you'll also remember Bryan running riot down the left and also scoring...