watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

British Championships/Home Internationals

Started by CULTUREVULTURE, October 29, 2010, 10:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CULTUREVULTURE

Does anyone else think they should be brought back - perhaps in the years between major tournaments, 2013, 2015, 2017 etc.

At least England would have at least a chance of winning it!!!

os5889

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: os5889 on October 29, 2010, 11:00:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_Associations'_Tournament

England refused to join on account of not being allowed to control everything!

To be honest I think the English FA can't control their bladders let alone an international tournament - even a small one.

HatterDon

I quite enjoyed the Home International Tournement. It was the icing on the cake. The thing was that the first division was filled with Scottish, Welsh, and Niron players in those days, so it was a treat to see teammates squaring off against each other. With the influx of non-British players into the Prem, you won't see the top-shelf players you once saw as in

Northern Ireland -- Best
Scotland -- Denis Law, Jim Baxter
Wales -- John Toschak, Mike England

It would still beat the crap out of Montenegro and The Scilly Isles. I'd bring it back EVERY year. Eliminate three friendly matches to counteract the load.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

As a traditionalist I would love it even without England playing. England could play the winners from the other three if they are too high and mighty to play from the beginning. Yes bring it back.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Scrumpy

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 30, 2010, 12:53:25 AM
As a traditionalist I would love it even without England playing. England could play the winners from the other three if they are too high and mighty to play from the beginning. Yes bring it back.
Personal question mate. Are you some kind of insomniac? You always seem to post comments at about 1am in the morning!! Night shift or somethink?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Fletchino

England piss me off now so yes because I would love to see the jumped up mugs lose unless of course are bobby is playing!!!

Lighthouse

Quote from: Scrumpy on October 30, 2010, 01:06:37 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 30, 2010, 12:53:25 AM
Personal question mate. Are you some kind of insomniac? You always seem to post comments at about 1am in the morning!! Night shift or somethink?

Used to work  nights for years so I guess the habit has just stuck with me. Never seem to go to bed until the early hours now even if I have to have an early start. Mind you some would say I am asleep even during the day anyway.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

When I was growing up, I thought the home internationals were the world cup. All four side appeared to beat everyone else with ease. Then, along came Hungary

epsomraver

Should have had the home internationals when they wanted Wembley demolished, the sweaty socks would have done it for free, seriously it was crowd trouble that killed the home internationals.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on October 30, 2010, 11:39:13 AM
Should have had the home internationals when they wanted Wembley demolished, the sweaty socks would have done it for free, seriously it was crowd trouble that killed the home internationals.

I was just going to say that epsomraver, i remember it well, bunch of jerks coming down with the sole purpose to destroy Wembley, why on earth would we want that again,
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

jarv

Alfie, I am a bit offended by your comment. The problem with the Scots was many just got plain drunk, too drunk. It was the English yobs (Millwall, Chelsea, West ham etc) who actually went there looking for trouble, knowing that the crowd would be 75% Scots.

I attended every England v Scotland match at Wembley from 1967 when we beat the world champions until the last one in 1983. They were, in the most part, great days out. I also attended a few in Glasgow. For me, it was the best match in the football calendar.

I remember one year in Hampden, some English louts, about 100, very bravely tried to kick off some trouble at the game. The whole section of them was ejected and the rest of us could enjoy the football.

Scots fans travel the world, are well behaved and well received. Can't say the same for the eng-ger-land yobs.

However, I see no point in bringing it back, too many games already and Scotland are a bit rubbish now.

finnster01

Mr Jarv,
Fair point. However, I firmly believe it was a case of preventing gingerism to spread in the home countries that those matches got canned. Loads of nearly naked heavy set men in skirts bathing in the fountains of London whilst trying to dig up the turf at Wembley will do that. Especially when most of them were special one. 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead