watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Refinding and enjoying a wonderful old movie

Started by love4ffc, June 23, 2019, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Also, two nights ago I was messing around on Netflix and stumbled upon a South Korea movie, Last Train to Busan.   A zombie movie.  I know, I know--not another zombie movie, right?  Well, this one's a little different.  Highest grossing film in that country a few years ago.  Full of metaphor and allegory about the selfish times we live in.   

Kurosawa's "Ran" is worth revisiting.  Inspired by King Lear.  The director was near blind at the time.  Think of Beethoven's Ninth.  Deaf.   Beautiful movie.

Any of you not yet seen "Run Lola Run", 1998 (German)?  Blew me away.

Battle Royale.  Read the book, so I had to see the movie.   Japan, 2000.  Japanese school children taken by the state, put on an island, given weapons, outfitted with collars and locating device, and forced to hunt down and kill one another until there's supposedly only one left.  subgroups bond for self protection.   Themes explored: violence, conformity, youth distrust of the modern state.  Is it great film making?  Maybe not. But it's original.  Nothing like it out there.

Polanski's Knife in the Water.  In Polish.  He may be a child molester, but he's a gifted director.  Cul de Sac...see that one too.

The Bicycle Thief (Da Sica, 1948).     Wages of Fear.