watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

£35m bid in for Sessegnon

Started by Burt, June 27, 2019, 01:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Jack Clarke of Leeds United is a quality player, destined to play at the highest level, would put him in the same bracket as David Brooks of Bournemouth,  anyway , he has had a medical at Spurs today ahead of his £8.5 million deal,
With that in mind, if Clarke is only worth £8.5 then no way on Earth is Ryan Sessegnon worth £35 million, in fact no where near,
Great business again by Levy and Spurs.

Statto

Quote from: Jamie88 on June 27, 2019, 09:10:27 PM
Quote from: SG on June 27, 2019, 08:47:06 PM
Well if Wan Bissaka is £50m then Sess is worth considerably more than the oft quoted £25m

Not sure about that. Wan Bissaka was fantastic for Palace last season and showed he can perform at PL level. Sess unfortunately not so much

Agreed.

Wan Bissaka just won player of the year at a mid-table PL side and has 3 yrs left on his contract.

Sessegnon struggled to even get in the starting XI of a woeful, relegated side and has 12 months left on his contract.

Hence Sessegnon will never, ever go for £35m. Closer to £3.5m.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2019, 09:32:56 PM
Well if Wan Bissaka is £50m then Sess is worth considerably more than the oft quoted £25m

Not sure about that. Wan Bissaka was fantastic for Palace last season and showed he can perform at PL level. Sess unfortunately not so much

Agreed.

Wan Bissaka just won player of the year at a mid-table PL side and has 3 yrs left on his contract.

Sessegnon struggled to even get in the starting XI of a woeful, relegated side and has 12 months left on his contract.

Hence Sessegnon will never, ever go for £35m. Closer to £3.5m.

I Hope that they don't sell him if it is for below 20m (as you suggest is more reasonable). Surely he is more worth playing for FFC if we are serious about promotion.

Also, comparisons such as the above is far too simplified. Any buyers would not only be interested based on last years performances. And the performance of the team as a whole is rather a mitigating factor, if anything.

Also, and maybe most importantly, Wan Bisaka is 3 years older. Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age. The only thing against a huge price is of course the contract.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 27, 2019, 09:51:28 PM
Any buyers would not only be interested based on last years performances.

Really? I don't see a good season in the Championship as significantly more impressive than a poor season in the PL, given the different standards of each league. I also think you're overestimating the time horizons over which football clubs assess transfer targets. Our very own record signing, Anguissa, was valued based almost purely on his performance in the preceding season alone. Players often obtain a high valuation on even shorter periods, perhaps half a season. An example would be Scott Hogan a couple of years ago, when at Brentford.

And the performance of the team as a whole is rather a mitigating factor, if anything.

Again, really? He wouldn't have got into Palace's team. But he got into ours (albeit only just) because we were significantly worse.

Also, and maybe most importantly, Wan Bisaka is 3 years older. Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age.

Not sure it makes much difference. Both have exactly the same potential upside, - the potential to be world class. Whether that takes 3 years or 6 years from now seems rather immaterial to me. Of course, in both cases there's a chance they'll never reach that level, but Wan Bissaka is significantly closer already, and therefore he represents a signing with significantly less potential downside.

I'm also intrigued as to why all the points above are phrased as if they're facts, or at least, views you hold with a high degree of certainty. To me they all seem like pure conjecture.

JoelH5

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2019, 10:30:14 PM

Really? I don't see a good season in the Championship as significantly more impressive than a poor season in the PL, given the different standards of each league. I also think you're overestimating the time horizons over which football clubs assess transfer targets. Our very own record signing, Anguissa, was valued based almost purely on his performance in the preceding season alone. Players often obtain a high valuation on even shorter periods, perhaps half a season. An example would be Scott Hogan a couple of years ago, when at Brentford.

And the performance of the team as a whole is rather a mitigating factor, if anything.

Again, really? He wouldn't have got into Palace's team. But he got into ours because we were significantly worse.

Also, and maybe most importantly, Wan Bisaka is 3 years older. Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age. The only thing against a huge price is of course the contract.

Not sure it makes much difference. Both have exactly the same potential upside, - the potential to be world class. Whether than takes 3 years or 6 years from now seems rather immaterial to me. Of course, in both cases there's a chance they'll never reach that level, but Wan Bissaka is significantly closer already, and therefore he represents a signing with significantly less potential downside.

I'm also intrigued as to why all the points above our phrased as if they're facts, or at least, views you hold with a high degree of certainty. To me they all seem like pure conjecture, devoid of factual basis or reasoning.

Arguably 19 to 21 are 3 of the biggest years in the average football players development. By 21 you can more than often tell if they will be a top, top player or not. I think it makes a huge difference.

Also dont forget, Bissaka has had one good season. If he'd had two or more, he'd be a lot safer bet
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Deeping_white

Quote from: Riversider on June 27, 2019, 09:18:05 PM
Jack Clarke of Leeds United is a quality player, destined to play at the highest level, would put him in the same bracket as David Brooks of Bournemouth,  anyway , he has had a medical at Spurs today ahead of his £8.5 million deal,
With that in mind, if Clarke is only worth £8.5 then no way on Earth is Ryan Sessegnon worth £35 million, in fact no where near,

Remind me what Jack Clarke has actually done? Sess was doing more at 16 than he did at 18 - an 18 year old having a half decent season is about right for £8.5m - Sess was consistently very good for two seasons at the same level, so based purely on footballing ability he's worth at least treble that seeing as Clarke is a winger who scored twice in 22 games for Leeds. The only thing that bumps down Sess being worth £35m is the fact his contract is due to expire within a year, otherwise we're well within our rights to ask for that much.

Tabby

Jack Clarke has 4 starts in the Championship. Leeds fans I've seen talking about the transfer aren't exactly broken up about it.

We Are Premier League

42 PL games 3 assists and 0 goals, even for an attacking fullback...doesn't scream 50m does it.

Lordedmundo

There is a fair bit of nonsense posted on this thread. Yes - Wan Bissaka is probably a better player than Sessegnon, but he is 3 years older. His transfer fee is high as he has 3 years left on his contract, whereas Ryan has only 1 year left. This obviously significantly affects any fee the club will be offered.  If he had 3 years on his contract then his value probably would be £30-40m. As a result - the club will probably get only £20-25m for him.  I've never heard of Jack Clarke - but a quick check on Transfermarkt shows that he has only played 90mins twice in his career (once in the league, once in the FA Cup), so it is pretty obvious why his transfer fee is 'only' £8.5m!

Statto

Quote from: Lordedmundo on June 28, 2019, 09:18:35 AM
There is a fair bit of nonsense posted on this thread. Yes - Wan Bissaka is probably a better player than Sessegnon, but he is 3 years older. His transfer fee is high as he has 3 years left on his contract, whereas Ryan has only 1 year left. This obviously significantly affects any fee the club will be offered.  If he had 3 years on his contract then his value probably would be £30-40m. As a result - the club will probably get only £20-25m for him.  I've never heard of Jack Clarke - but a quick check on Transfermarkt shows that he has only played 90mins twice in his career (once in the league, once in the FA Cup), so it is pretty obvious why his transfer fee is 'only' £8.5m!

The difference between them is quite stark. Wan Bissaka is already one of the top 10 RBs playing in the UK. Is Sessegnon even in the top 50 left wingers? Debatable.

If Sessegnon gets to Wan Bissaka's level by the time he's that age, ie one of top 10 LWs in the country, that would be a decent realisation of his potential. There's a very strong chance (in fact statistically, you could probably say it's more likely than not) that he'll fall short of that level.

Nonetheless I agree with other posters that the biggest value impacting Sessegnon's value is his contract length. But to say the difference in value between having 3 yrs remaining on his contract and 1 yr remaining is £30-40m versus £20-25m seems very ambitious to me. I still can't see us getting more than £10-15m up front.

Jamie88

Quote from: mlangstrom on June 28, 2019, 08:33:38 AM

42 PL games 3 assists and 0 goals, even for an attacking fullback...doesn't scream 50m does it.

That's not the point I was making. I never said I think Wan Bissaka is worth anywhere near 50m. I was referring to the other post that suggested that because Wan Bissaka is worth x amount, Sess should be near that amount.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on June 27, 2019, 10:30:14 PM

Again, really? He wouldn't have got into Palace's team. But he got into ours because we were significantly worse.

Also, and maybe most importantly, Wan Bisaka is 3 years older. Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age.

Not sure it makes much difference. Both have exactly the same potential upside, - the potential to be world class. Whether that takes 3 years or 6 years from now seems rather immaterial to me. Of course, in both cases there's a chance they'll never reach that level, but Wan Bissaka is significantly closer already, and therefore he represents a signing with significantly less potential downside.

I'm also intrigued as to why all the points above are phrased as if they're facts, or at least, views you hold with a high degree of certainty. To me they all seem like pure conjecture, devoid of factual basis.

First of, it was not my meaning to try to present the statements as facts, and I can see that it might have come of as such. I usually try to be clear on that point, but wasn't (mostly I believe since I wrote it on my phone, which is tedious to say the least). I disagree though that all my points are devoid of factual basis. The last point stating that Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age does have a factual basis if you look at the number of senior games and awards etc. compared to almost all other players ever of his age.

Secondly, that a team may only assess his last season (as we did with Anguissa according to you, not sure if that is a fact) is no more reasonable than that they may assess several seasons. If I ask you this: Would he, in your opinion, be likely to demand a higher or lower fee this year if he had only played senior football last season (i.e. disregarding the two Championship seasons)? In my opinion, the two previous seasons will have a positive impact on the price, whether it be marginal or not.

Thirdly, how do you know that Sess would not have gotten into Palace's team? That is surely not a fact. And in any case, just as you can say that he didn't impress even in a badly performing team, one could also argue that it could be difficult for just about anyone to perform in such a dysfunctional team. Not many players in our team performed well in most games. That doesn't mean that none of them could have claimed a starting place in, for example, the Palace team.I don't find it strange at all to see that as a mitigating factor. So the short answer is, yes really.

Also, of course age makes a difference, although I agree that both are young and have potentially huge upside. But everything else alike, of course it is better to be three years younger. In my opinion.

I respect that we don't have to agree, and I see your points although I don't necessarily agree with them. I stand by my opinion that below 20 million should be a complete no go, since he is worth more to us as a player and as a statement of intent.

Riversider

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 28, 2019, 12:24:59 AM

Remind me what Jack Clarke has actually done? Sess was doing more at 16 than he did at 18 - an 18 year old having a half decent season is about right for £8.5m - Sess was consistently very good for two seasons at the same level, so based purely on footballing ability he's worth at least treble that seeing as Clarke is a winger who scored twice in 22 games for Leeds. The only thing that bumps down Sess being worth £35m is the fact his contract is due to expire within a year, otherwise we're well within our rights to ask for that much.

Clarke has the opportunity to one day prove whether or not he can make it in The Premier League, if he can his value will soar as Brookes and Maddison before him found out,
The problem Sessegnon and Fulham Football Club have is that he has been given that opportunity and what shall we say, "he was found wanting" or "he failed miserably " or "he flopped"  you choose, but whatever you come with this is the reason his valuation  has fallen so dramatically,
Season 19/20 is a huge season for Ryan, whether it's with Spurs, Fulham or anybody else, he MUST have a stellar season with no more excuses.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Riversider on June 28, 2019, 10:31:00 AM

Clarke has the opportunity to one day prove whether or not he can make it in The Premier League, if he can his value will soar as Brookes and Maddison before him found out,
The problem Sessegnon and Fulham Football Club have is that he has been given that opportunity and what shall we say, "he was found wanting" or "he failed miserably " or "he flopped"  you choose, but whatever you come with this is the reason his valuation  has fallen so dramatically,
Season 19/20 is a huge season for Ryan, whether it's with Spurs, Fulham or anybody else, he MUST have a stellar season with no more excuses.

Enh... he'll have to prove it one day, but some players take their time developing into world class players, at which level they may stay for only a short while. Nobody even knows what position Ryan should generally stick to.

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 28, 2019, 10:12:28 AM
First of, it was not my meaning to try to present the statements as facts, and I can see that it might have come of as such. I usually try to be clear on that point, but wasn't (mostly I believe since I wrote it on my phone, which is tedious to say the least). I disagree though that all my points are devoid of factual basis. The last point stating that Sess is extremely merited and experienced for his age does have a factual basis if you look at the number of senior games and awards etc. compared to almost all other players ever of his age.

Secondly, that a team may only assess his last season (as we did with Anguissa according to you, not sure if that is a fact) is no more reasonable than that they may assess several seasons. If I ask you this: Would he, in your opinion, be likely to demand a higher or lower fee this year if he had only played senior football last season (i.e. disregarding the two Championship seasons)? In my opinion, the two previous seasons will have a positive impact on the price, whether it be marginal or not.

Thirdly, how do you know that Sess would not have gotten into Palace's team? That is surely not a fact. And in any case, just as you can say that he didn't impress even in a badly performing team, one could also argue that it could be difficult for just about anyone to perform in such a dysfunctional team. Not many players in our team performed well in most games. That doesn't mean that none of them could have claimed a starting place in, for example, the Palace team.I don't find it strange at all to see that as a mitigating factor. So the short answer is, yes really.

Also, of course age makes a difference, although I agree that both are young and have potentially huge upside. But everything else alike, of course it is better to be three years younger. In my opinion.

I respect that we don't have to agree, and I see your points although I don't necessarily agree with them. I stand by my opinion that below 20 million should be a complete no go, since he is worth more to us as a player and as a statement of intent.

I agree Sessegnon is "extremely merited and experienced for his age" but in a debate comparing Sessegnon to Wan Bissaka, I don't see the relevance of comparing Sessegnon to "all other players ever of his age". I'm not disputing that either player is very good in comparison to other players their age.

On the second point, as I said, personally I don't see a good season in the Championship as much better than a poor season in the PL. You seem to concede that they difference may only be marginal, and if the impact is only marginal then I'm not sure whether/why you'd continue to treat this point as supporting your case.

Your original statement was "Any buyers would not only be interested based on last years performances." Perhaps we can agree it should have been, "*Some* buyers *may* not only be interested based on last years performances *albeit, in any case, one good season in the Championship may only be treated as marginally better than a poor season in the PL*."

Sessegnon would probably not have got into Palace's team because their players, such as Schlupp, are better. Of course there's a slim chance he could have raised his game in a better team, just as AK47 could become a world class player if thrown into Man City's team, but I think most people will accept that comparisons of players' respective abilities should be based on their current, actual performance rather than the 1% chance that absolutely any player has of becoming a much better player in a much better team.

I agree that "everything else alike, of course it is better to be three years younger." But everything else is not alike. Wan Bissaka is a better player.

I agree that "below 20 million should be a complete no go, since he is worth more to us as a player". My point is just that no one will bid £20m for him (up front).

Deeping_white

Quote from: Riversider on June 28, 2019, 10:31:00 AM

Yes but that's not the point you were making though - you were trying to draw comparisons between the two of them in terms of transfer fee, and the only comparison you can make between the two is the performances in the championship, of which Sess blows Clarke out of the water. Maybe if we were a stable mid table PL team then Sess would have had a much better season like Maddison & Brooks were able to, if they both end up at Spurs I know who my money is on to prove themselves as being the better player. Don't forget that Ryan has consistently played above his own age group for the national team too so he's constantly being pushed to become a better player, something the others never managed to achieve.

I've got no doubt that should be play in the championship this coming season he'll do very well, and in a stable PL team he'd also get the chance to flourish. He only "flopped" because as a collective we looked god awful at times last season, there was no standout player because to be enabled to perform at your best, you need everyone around you to be performing at a certain level too

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on June 28, 2019, 11:21:00 AM

I agree Sessegnon is "extremely merited and experienced for his age" but in a debate comparing Sessegnon to Wan Bissaka, I don't see the relevance of comparing Sessegnon to "all other players ever of his age". I'm not disputing that either player is very good in comparison to other players their age.

On the second point, as I said, personally I don't see a good season in the Championship as much better than a poor season in the PL. You seem to concede that they difference may only be marginal, and if the impact is only marginal then I'm not sure whether/why you'd continue to treat this point as supporting your case.

Your original statement was "Any buyers would not only be interested based on last years performances." Perhaps we can agree it should have been, "*Some* buyers *may* not only be interested based on last years performances *albeit, in any case, one good season in the Championship may only be treated as marginally better than a poor season in the PL*."

Sessegnon would probably not have got into Palace's team because their players, such as Schlupp, are better. Of course there's a slim chance he could have raised his game in a better team, just as AK47 could become a world class player if thrown into Man City's team, but I think most people will accept that comparisons of players' respective abilities should be based on their current, actual performance rather than the 1% chance that absolutely any player has of becoming a much better player in a much better team.

I agree that "everything else alike, of course it is better to be three years younger." But everything else is not alike. Wan Bissaka is a better player.

I agree that "below 20 million should be a complete no go, since he is worth more to us as a player". My point is just that no one will bid £20m for him (up front).

I am not debating Sessegnon's value only as compared to Wan Bisaka, since that is not in my opinion a sufficient way to attach a market value to a player. There are more factors involved, such as the position of the selling club and the eagerness to move from the point of view of the player and the economical strength of the buying club as well as the number of interested clubs. But any way, then he is very experienced compared to Wan Bisaka at a similar age (not that it in itself necessarily is too important, but one of many factors that may play a role in determining the value of a player).

You are right in that I stated that the impact of Sessegnon's previous seasons may be marginal. The word "may" in this case is used for two reasons. The first is to make it clear that I didn't state this as a fact. The second is that I don't necessarily believe it to be marginal. I don't see this in any way as me conceding that it is marginal, that is entirely down to your interpretation. I stand by my point that I believe that it matters, but concede that I may not necessarily be correct or doesn't necessarily matter much. I hope that was clear enough?

To add to that, Sessegnon doesn't have either a good season in the Championship or a poor season in the PL so you don't necessarily have to compare them. He has, in my opinion, one good and one very good season in the Championship, plus one poor season in the PL. This shows he has the talent, but wasn't necessarily ready to step up this year.

As for what my statement should have been according to you, why does it matter? I already in my last post explained that I did not intend to present it as a fact, and as such again yes I could have worded it differently. This added nothing to the debate however, since it should already have been cleared up.

Speaking of facts, your "1% chance that absolutely any player has of becoming a much better player in a much better team" is presented as applicable in this situation. I believe that is to sell Sessegnon's abilities well short, and is absolutely no fact. If I say that it was a 99 % chance that he would perform better at Crystal Palace, that would also be no fact. I stand by my comment that the performance of the team as a whole may very well have had a negative impact on Sess, and that he may have performed far better in a better environment. I don't find this unreasonable.

Lastly, I never stated that Sessegnon is better than Wan Bisaka or that he should be more expensive. I stated that he is younger, which in itself is positive. This may have an impact on the price, in my opinion. I never said that everything else was alike. 

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: mlangstrom on June 28, 2019, 08:33:38 AM

The number one responsibility of a full back is to defend (Fulham seem to forget this). Basaka is arguably one of the top 3 defending FB in the EPL.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 28, 2019, 12:49:54 PM
I am not debating Sessegnon's value only as compared to Wan Bisaka...

The post of mine to which you initially replied was my response to another poster's comment that "if Wan Bissaka is £50m then Sess is worth considerably more than the oft quoted £25m". So if you're "not debating Sessegnon's value only as compared to Wan Bisaka" then of course that's fine, but it's not relevant to me or this particular sub-thread.

I stand by my point that I believe that [the impact of Sessegnon's previous seasons] matters, but concede that I may not necessarily be correct or doesn't necessarily matter much.

Fine, agreed.

I stand by my comment that the performance of the team as a whole may very well have had a negative impact on Sess, and that he may have performed far better in a better environment. I don't find this unreasonable.

I agree with you, he "may" have performed much better at Palace. But I see no reason to think it likely, and I think the general approach of football clubs when valuing players (disregarding the potential of young players to improve quickly, which I think is a separate point) is just to do it with reference to their performances or the current/previous club(s), rather than relying on the general possibility that any player in a poor team may suddenly look a different player in a better team. Otherwise, there'd always be a huge clamour for Ryman League players on the basis that, according to your theory, they'd look brilliant at Man City or Liverpool.   

Lastly, I never stated that Sessegnon is better than Wan Bisaka or that he should be more expensive. I stated that he is younger, which in itself is positive. This may have an impact on the price, in my opinion. I never said that everything else was alike. 

When making the point about age, you said "everything else alike, of course it is better to be three years younger" which I interpreted to mean "if everything else was alike..." If that's not what you meant, fine.

My fundamental point was that since everything else is not alike, and Wan Bisaka is a better player, Sessegnon's age merely gives him the potential (but certainly not a guarantee) to be as good as Wan Bisaka when Sessegnon is Wan Bisaka's age. In other words, Sessegnon represents almost entirely unrealised potential, whereas Wan Bisaka represents semi-realised potential. To me, the latter seems much more valuable, even if the former still has a chance of catching him up. 

The Rational Fan

I think Ryan Sessegnon could be worth £45m, but as it is the end of Ryan Sessegnon's contract he is effectively going to be auctioned in the next few weeks. An auction requires two bidders with money, I think Spurs would be willing to buy Ryan Sessegnon at the price they can sell Danny Rose (e.g. £35m), but who is the other team that is going to bid on him, I doubt Crystal Palace would be willing to spend most of their Wan-Bissaka on Ryan Sessegnon as they will want immediate results. Fulham will get what the second highest bidder is willing to pay, its basically an auction no point waiting any longer, going once twice sold.