more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 29/06/19...

Started by WhiteJC, June 29, 2019, 07:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Summer Opening Hours

Opening hours for the Stadium Store over the upcoming Summer period.

DateTime
Monday – Saturday       9am-6pm
Sunday       11am-4pm

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/june/28/summer-opening-hours

WhiteJC

Fulham's back five against Barnsley

One of the most popular summer pastimes is picking your side's starting line-up come August. This is tricky when you can't take account of the potential new signings, areas of the squad that need to be strengthened, or who might be leaving. In Fulham's case, the uncertainty is heightened by the impact of a traumatic relegation from the top flight.

But there's no doubting what Scott Parker needs to improve ahead of that trip to Barnsley in August. For much of last season, Fulham were a shambles at the back. It was always going to be ambitious to try and play the adventurous football that got the Whites promoted from the Championship, but it quickly became suicidal. Even Slavisa Jokanovic chopped and changed his back four, whilst Claudio Ranieri tinkered with the tactics entirely – opting for three centre halves – trying his own chaotic tenure at Craven Cottage.

There have been rumours that Fulham might add further depth to their defensive resources this summer, with Levante's Chema apparently interested in making the move to England. But, within the squad we currently have, Parker probably has the makings of a pretty useful Championship defence. Injuries permitting, and Marcus Bettinelli and Alfie Mawson have a history of starting seasons in the treatment room, Fulham's defence at Barnsley might have something of a familiar look about it.

GOALKEEPER: MARCUS BETTINELLI

Whilst Fabri remains in the squad at the moment, it seems unlikely that he will be willing to spend another year on the bench – especially at a lower level. There's a suggestion that he could be heading back to Besiktas or somewhere else in Turkey. He might not have been given a fair crack of the whip at Fulham, but it is probable that Parker will go back to a tried and tested goalkeeper at this level. Should he be able to shake off a troublesome knee problem, I'd have no qualms about putting Bettinelli back between the sticks. He has proven his quality at this level – becoming a consistent performer in two strong Championship campaigns – and should be rewarded for his patience over the past year. It is worth remembering that he was in Gareth Southgate's England squad at the start of last season, too.

RIGHT BACK: STEVEN SESSEGNON

Fulham aren't short of right backs. Cyrus Christie and Denis Odoi ended up playing a lot more first-team football than either of them might have expected last season, although I prefer Odoi in the middle of the back four, especially in the Championship. It would be a bold call, but I would like Parker to give Sessegnon an opportunity to make this position his own. He has impressed on his few first-team outings so far and a full pre-season under Parker could put him in good stead for the new campaign. Parker placed a strong emphasis on youth during his caretaker stewardship and this would be a chance to further Sessegnon's development. He might not be as attack-minded as a Ryan Fredericks, for example, but he is defensively solid – and that's no bad thing as we look to build a foundation in a tough league.

LEFT BACK: JOE BRYAN

This is probably the most straightforward choice of the lot. Whilst there were rumours that Newcastle were interested in taking Bryan north, those have probably died out with the imminent departure of Rafa Benitez from St. James' Park. Bryan improved as a tough Premier League season went on – and he had already firmly established himself as one of the Championship's most consistent performers during his time with Bristol City. He needs little invitation to get forward and is good on the ball, so should be a permanent fixture in Parker's side.

CENTRE BACKS: ALFIE MAWSON AND MAXIME LE MARCHAND

Parker has four centre backs to chose from even before the club elects to acquire anymore. I would lean towards pairing Alfie Mawson and Maxime Le Marchand together due to their experience. Mawson has played Premier League football and, as long as he can remain fit, should have little trouble adjusting to life in the Championship. His physicality should help him deal with a more robust challenge in the second tier, whilst a lack of pace shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Le Marchand has a wealth of Ligue 1 experience to fall back on and often looked Fulham's most dependable defender in a horrible season. There is the balance of a left footed and right footed combination and both should comfortably be able to play out from the back if Parker follows the Jokanovic blueprint.

The key to success in this league will be forming a solid foundation at the back. Leadership will be important. Bettinelli is a vocal goalkeeper, not shy of giving his defenders advice and organising his back four, whilst Mawson's leadership credentials should come into play nicely. Bryan has had plenty of experience of the Championship and, whilst Sessegnon hasn't seen too much first-team action, there is no doubting his potential.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/06/fulhams-back-five-against-barnsley/

WhiteJC

The Case Against Aboubakar Kamara

With the news that Aboubakar Kamara looks like he may be returning to Motspur Park I'll set out my arguments as to why the club should be exercising caution. My colleague Max Cohen has already given you the reasons why he thinks that he should be welcomed back with open arms but, as with anything, we need to look at both sides of the argument.

Basic Skills – Kamara was an unknown quantity when he signed for Fulham two summers ago but it didn't take very long for us, and the players around him, to realise that this is a player who has a lot of improving to do regarding basic football skills. His first touch at times was shockingly bad and his decision making at key moments leaves a lot to be desired. Some say that he has a raw talent that needs to be nurtured, others say that he is still young so could still come good. But can we really rely on this? I'd like to think that a player with raw talent would show some improvement in two years rather than being in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. His actual footballing ability for me is low and while his pace and strength are good attributes, he needs to be able to do the basics. Too often when Kamara gets the ball he sends it 5 metres to the left of where he meant to with his first touch, and I'm not sure if I can cope with another season of that.

Discipline – Kamara's discipline is possibly the weakest part of his game. He fouls a lot, dives a lot and generally forces himself to walk the tightrope every game that he plays. I don't know about you, but I'm genuinely nervous when he plays for us. The dive in the play-off semi final at the Cottage is a prime example of this. To be going in for a challenge and actively deciding that you are going to dive is blatant cheating and I don't want it at Fulham. There is a difference between going down expecting contact and just trying to con the referee. He did it again against Bournemouth last season and it was clear as day for everyone to see. He also picks up yellow cards reasonably frequently and can be easily wound up by opponents. He is an accident waiting to happen, and we don't need that going into a campaign were we are aiming for promotion.

Yoga/penalty/common assault – Aboubakar Kamara is more trouble than he is worth – both on and off the pitch. I've already touched on the diving but we don't need to look much further for on-field indiscipline than the infamous penalty incident at home to Huddersfield. When your side is in the middle of a relegation battle, you don't put your own goals target over the needs of the team. What he did that day was embarrassing and very nearly cost us points in our battle to stay up. Then we have a wealth of incidences off the pitch, from going to other games instead of supporting the team in a relegation battle, to the apparent fight with Mitrovic at a team yoga session. And when ordered to stay away, Kamara was arrested at Motspur Park for suspicion of ABH and criminal damage when he tried to get in. Do we seriously want a character like this in the dressing room as we seek to return to the Premier League?

All in all, I think that we could do much better. Want pace, power and a team player? Albert Adomah could be picked up on a free after being released by Villa. For me Kamara is too much trouble and I don't think we need him disrupting the dressing room.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/06/the-case-against-aboubakar-kamara/

WhiteJC

The Case for Aboubakar Kamara

On the Fulhamish podcast this week, Tony Khan delivered a bombshell of sorts when he definitively stated he wanted to bring back Aboubakar Kamara next season.

The French livewire splits opinion like none other among Fulham fans. That statement alone is perhaps the only thing we can agree on. But despite his polarising presence, Kamara must be brought back to the squad and will play a crucial role in Fulham's promotion hopes.

I was as appalled as anyone else when Kamara snatched the ball out of Aleksandar Mitrovic's hands against Huddersfield, and then went on to miss the penalty. I was shocked to read reports he was arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm in a January training ground bust-up. And yes, I laughed along with everyone else when that viral video of Kamara missing an open goal in Turkey materialised.

But in the face of his obvious flaws, Kamara offers so much to Fulham. While it is often lazy and ignorant to dispel a player's talents to just 'pace and power,' that is a massive reason why Kamara is such an asset. One of our biggest issues last season in the Premier League was a lack of cutting edge and physicality that could cut it in the top flight. Kamara possessed those attributes, terrorising defences in matches against Wolves, Arsenal, and Leicester City.

And for all the ridicule that is directed toward his technical ability, Kamara's skill is actually far better than many give him credit for. The goal against the Foxes is a case in point. Kamara uses his speed to latch on to an adventurous Mitro flick-on, and makes his way to the byline. But he shows superb close control to turn on a sixpence, cutting back with a measured approach to leave the Leicester defender hurtling toward the advertising hoardings. Then, Kamara sizes up a shot between the legs of Kasper Schmeichel for an excellent goal.

Yes, his detractors will dispute all that. The shot was all luck, they'll say. He should have passed the ball across the face of goal. His cutback was fortunate.

But at the very least, the example shows that Kamara is far from a one-dimensional player with no technique or skill. Look back to his time in the Championship. An exquisite chipped finish, nay, a scoop, against Burton. A lovely feint followed by an exquisitely slotted goal against Hull City. Another shot-fake and confident strike away at Nottingham Forest.

And I'm sure you will find countless instances where the final product didn't come off for the Frenchman. He is liable to errant, long range strikes, speculative decision-making, and wastefulness. But what attacker isn't? My view is if you are willing to take risks and if you add energy and verve to an attack, you are a useful option who can make things happen. I'd certainly have an erratic yet energetic Kamara in my team every day over an entitled and disinterested Andre Schurrle.

Let's also resist the urge to write Kamara out of the history books of Fulham's promotion. Although for most of the unbeaten run, the winger was out of the team, he returned to the home stretch to fire Fulham up. While Tony Khan focused on the decision to start Kamara in the second leg against Derby, he actually came back at an earlier point.

With Fulham in trouble at home against relegated Sunderland, Kamara came off the bench in a bold move for the injured Matt Targett. It was Kamara's surging run that led to Lucas Piazon's equaliser in a huge game for the side's momentum. It was Kamara's shot that led to a corner and Denis Odoi's headed winner against Derby. And it was Kamara's energy that gave Villa's backline headaches in the final and led to the celebratory scenes at full-time.

Perhaps the best case for Kamara's return is not even his own qualities, but rather Fulham's priorities. The club is desperately short of attacking options, with only Mitrovic, Kamara, and Rui Fonte able to play at centre-forward. If Kamara is loaned out yet again, the club will have to spend major money to fill a need that could easily be met by the Frenchman.

Kamara's disciplinary issues do raise a concern, but I truly believe most of his actions can be explained by a love for Fulham and a desire for his team to succeed. The penalty incident was an example of a supremely passionate player who deeply believed he would be the best player to score a goal so Fulham could win. It just turned out he wasn't.

And when Claudio Ranieri was left with a young player in the aftermath of a controversial flashpoint, he bungled the response. At a time like that, Kamara needed an arm around his shoulder and a stern talking to. Both to ensure that it wouldn't happen again, but also to reassure Kamara that his team was counting on him to behave.

Instead, after an overblown yoga incident that even disciplinarian Kevin McDonald agreed was a non-story, Ranieri banned Kamara to the youth team. What followed was the disgraceful arrest. But the banishment was completely the wrong approach for a tempermental player who needed guidance, not ostracisation.

In all, if Tony Khan, Scott Parker, and the Fulham players are ready to welcome Aboubakar Kamara back to Motspur Park this summer, then his return is fine by me. In the Championship, a focused and motivated Kamara can tear up the league and complement Mitrovic's attacking qualities up front.

Some supporters may hate him, but what they can't do is claim he doesn't have an impact on the pitch. And that impact is what makes Aboubakar Kamara so valuable to Fulham.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/06/the-case-for-aboubakar-kamara/

WhiteJC

Tottenham transfer news latest: Jack Clarke, Tanguy Ndombele, Ryan Sessegnon, Maxi Gomez, Dani Ceballos and more

Spurs closing in on first signing in over 500 days as the move for Leeds winger edges closer

Tottenham have taken one step closer to securing their first signing in 18 months as Leeds winger Jack Clarke completed his medical ahead of a £10m pound move to north London. Clarke was a standout performer during Leeds' push for promotion last season.

However, Spurs' move to Lyon midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is at risk of collapse after Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas accused the club of dragging their heels over a move.

According to the Telegraph, Aulas has warned Spurs that Ndombele's price tag could skyrocket to £72m and even further still as negotiations continue to drag on.

Elsewhere, the Daily Mail have reported that Spurs are closing in on long-term target Ryan Sessegnon, with the club confident a deal can finally be done for the 19-year-old this summer.

Spurs are also ready to challenge rivals West Ham for the signing of Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez, according to El Desmarque.

According to Onda Cero, a potential move for Real Madrid midfielder Dani Ceballos could still materialise, but the 22-year-old would prefer to move to Spurs on loan, rather than be sold by his parent club

Spurs are also one of a number of clubs who are interested in highly rated West Brom winger Rekeem Harper, who is out of contract at the start of July. Birmingham Live reports that Spurs would like to loan Harper back to the Midlands club to gain experience.

22-year-old Luke Amos looks set to swap north London for west as QPR are closing in on a season-long loan deal for the Spurs youngster, according to Football.London.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-transfer-news-latest-clarke-ndombele-sessegnon-gomez-a8979426.html

WhiteJC

Fulham could lose star man to Premier League club this summer

Fulham could be in danger of losing star man Ryan Sessegnon this summer as Tottenham look to step up their interest according to the Daily Mail.

It has been well documented that Spurs have been keen on the 19-year-old for some time and they are confident they can complete a deal for the teenager.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino could be willing to offer around £25million however this is rather a long way of Fulham's valuation as they believe him to be worth around £45million.

The winger has been offered a new contract extension by the Cottagers however due to the interest from Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund he is reluctant to sign given he would like top flight football.

Fulham were relegated to the Championship last season and will now be looking to reinvest in their squad ahead of the upcoming campaign and surely will not want to lose one of their prized assets who could significantly help the in their push for promotion.

Ryan Sessegnon has already accumulated more than 100 first team appearances since breaking into the Fulham first team aged 16 and has scored 22 goals.

His contract with the London club expires next summer and with him being unwilling to sign a new one, it may be wise for Fulham to accept losing their man and obtain a transfer fee for him rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

Spurs will see Sessegnon as having real potential in the years to come and he would also help ease the goalscoring burden on Harry Kane on who they have become overly reliant on to get their main glut of goals.

https://the72.co.uk/136833/fulham-could-lose-star-man-to-premier-league-club-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Ryan Babel signs for Galatasaray after Fulham exit

Former Liverpool and Fulham forward Ryan Babel has signed for Galatasaray.

The Turkish champions said the 32-year-old had signed a three-year contract in Istanbul.

The Netherlands international was available on a free transfer after leaving Fulham following a six-month spell at Craven Cottage.

He scored five goals in 16 Premier League games after joining the club in January but was unable to prevent Fulham from being relegated back to the Sky Bet Championship.

He previously played in Turkey for rivals Besiktas and had spells at Hoffenheim and Ajax after he left Liverpool in 2007.

Babel started both of the Netherlands' Nations League finals games in Portugal earlier this summer, including their 3-1 win over England.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11751058/ryan-babel-signs-for-galatasaray-after-fulham-exit

WhiteJC

Ryan Babel joins Galatasaray after Fulham contract ends

Babel played for the Netherlands in the Nations League this summer

Former Fulham and Liverpool forward Ryan Babel has signed a three-year contract with Turkish champions Galatasaray.

The 32-year-old Dutch international was a free agent after his contract at Fulham expired at the end of the season.

Galatasaray said Babel has received a £1.79m signing-on fee and will earn £2.24m a year.

After leaving Liverpool in 2007, Babel had spells at Hoffenheim and Ajax.

He has already played twice in Turkey, for Kasimpasa and Besiktas, as well as Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates and Deportivo de La Coruna.

He has won 57 caps for the Netherlands, scoring eight goals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48807787

WhiteJC

Fixtures In Focus: Part Six

Next up in our season preview, we look at four teams who've all changed manager in the past six months; QPR, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke.

Queens Park Rangers

It looked as though last season might be a perilous one for QPR after they opened with four defeats on the trot, including a 7-1 hammering by West Bromwich Albion. Steve McClaren managed to stop the rot and stabilise the side's form, but that proved to be only temporary and they parted company in April after a run of one win from 15. John Eustace took temporary charge, but former Brentford boss Mark Warburton has been appointed ahead of the new campaign.

Last season: 19th

Top scorer: Nahki Wells (9)

Dafabet promotion odds: 18/1

2019/20 fixtures: Craven Cottage 23/11/19, The Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium 21/03/20

Last five meetings:

Fulham (Cairney, Piazon) 2-2 QPR (Luongo, Wszołek) – 17/03/18

QPR (Washington) 1-2 Fulham (Robinson og, Johansen) – 29/09/17

QPR (Manning) 1-1 Fulham (Martin) – 21/01/17

Fulham (Ream) 1-2 QPR (Washington, Sylla) – 01/10/16

QPR (Chery) 1-3 Fulham (McCormack, Dembélé, Cairney) – 13/02/16

Reading

Reading's victory over Fulham in the 2017 Play-Offs seems to have been their peak of recent times, as they have managed just a 20th place finish in each of the successive seasons. The club have parted with both Jaap Stam and Paul Clement since then, with Jose Gomes at the helm since last December. Goal difference alone was keeping the Royals outside of the relegation zone when the Portuguese took over, and he managed to secure six wins in the second half of the season – enough to keep their heads above water.

Last season: 20th

Top scorer: Yakou Meite (13)

Dafabet promotion odds: 20/1

2019/20 fixtures: Madejski Stadium 01/10/19, Craven Cottage 01/01/20

Last five meetings:

Fulham (Johansen) 1-0 Reading – 10/04/18

Reading (Kelly) 1-1 Fulham (Piazon) – 12/08/17

Reading (Kermorgant pen) 1-0 Fulham – 16/05/17

Fulham (Cairney) 1-1 Reading (Obita) – 13/05/17

Reading (Beerens) 1-0 Fulham – 24/01/17

Sheffield Wednesday

After going separate ways with manager Jos Luhukay, the Owls eventually installed Steve Bruce to steer the ship, a man who has a very successful record of getting out of the Championship. After he officially took charge at the start of February they went on an 11 match unbeaten run, and losing just three matches thereafter.

Last season: 12th

Top scorer: Steven Fletcher (11)

Dafabet promotion odds: 6/1

2019/20 fixtures: Hillsborough 21/09/19, Craven Cottage 25/04/20

Last five meetings:

Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Fulham (Mitrović) – 07/04/18

Fulham 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday (Fletcher) – 19/08/17

Sheffield Wednesday (Winnall) 1-2 Fulham (Kebano 2) – 07/05/17

Fulham (Malone) 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday (Forestieri) – 19/11/16

Sheffield Wednesday (Bannan, Nuhiu) 2-1 Fulham (Dembélé) – 09/01/16

Stoke City

Stoke learnt how tough the Championship can be, as the early season favourites fell short of expectation. Gary Rowett was appointed having just led Derby County to the Play-Offs, but he was relieved of his duties in January. Nathan Jones was the man brought in after the job he'd done at Luton Town, and he'll be looking to be challenging at the right end of the table this time around.

Last season: 16th

Top scorer: Benik Afobe (9)

Dafabet promotion odds: 4/1

2019/20 fixtures: bet365 Stadium 19/10/19, Craven Cottage 29/12/19

Last five meetings:

Fulham 0-1 Stoke (Crouch) – 22/09/15

Stoke (Odemwingie, Arnautovic, Assaidi, Walters) 4-1 Fulham (Richardson) – 03/05/14

Fulham (Bent) 1-0 Stoke – 05/10/13

Fulham (Berbatov) 1-0 Stoke – 23/02/13

Stoke (Adam) 1-0 Fulham – 24/11/12

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/june/29/fixtures-in-focus-part-six