https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

No knocking Cairney but

Started by Andy S, July 08, 2019, 01:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Would you make Mitro captain or at least vice captain

wheelerdeeler

Mitrovic already is VC, and was for the whole of last season.

I personally don't think Cairney should be club captain. Would have McDonald, Mitrovic, Ream and Bettinelli ahead of him in-terms of who I think is an actual leader, but equally I think taking the captaincy off of him would potentially cause some unnecessary drama that we don't really need so there's no need to do it.

ffcne

Mitro natural leader or Macdonald.
Cairney not a natural leader.
Cairney to concentrate on running the show on the pitch.

Facts Not Fiction

The role as captain is overhyped.

McDonald was the clear leader for the 2 years before promotion, not being captain didn't stop him.

junior white

Would not take the captaincy away from TC, leave as is. They should all be leaders anyway

Sgt Fulham

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but for people knocking TC, I remember him being a pretty good leader at Wembley!

hovewhite

SG

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 08, 2019, 07:05:32 AM
The role as captain is overhyped.

McDonald was the clear leader for the 2 years before promotion, not being captain didn't stop him.

Agreed.

Andy S

Twig

I don't see this as an issue. Different players have different styles and the more outspoken ones will provide leadership on the pitch whether captain or not.

Milo

I thought I read/heard that Mitrovic disappears after training to spend time with his family. This isn't remotely knocking the poor bloke .. but what I am saying is that perhaps Cairney offers more cohesion off the field with regards taking people out on nights out etc.

But perhaps with Cairney's baby now that has reduced too?

I think regardless, it's too late now isn't it. Every year we have this debate and nothing happens!

FulhamStu

It's TC's head down attitude when things are going wrong that upsets me about him being the leader.  That said, agree with most it would do more harm to take it off him unless he is happy to focus on his playing only..which I doubt he will be !

Sting of the North

As many have said, if you are a leader you will lead regardless of whether you happen to have an armband or not. However, for some players it is an honour and an important signal that you are a big part of the club. I believe this may be the case for TC. Also, if people in general (within the club) were dissatisfied with TC as captain, they would likely have changed it by now.

filham

I don't think Cairney is the best choice but the problem is that a change may do more harm than good. On balance I think I would leave thing as they are.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Cairney seems better suited than most at the club to the off-the-pitch activities such as press conferences.

As others have said, the on-pitch role is not so critical if you have leaders, such as Mitro, in different areas on the pitch.

FPT

Captaincy means nothing. If you need a fabric armband to step up, you're not a leader. I think the modern captain is more of the face of the football club now in terms of media and community work. David Silva is Manchester City's captain, he's not quite the roaring leader of times gone by, is he?

And even under the assumption of that being the requirements, I don't think Mitro is that either. He appears to me be more of a lead by example kind of player, he puts in an absolute shift, fights in every minute and possesses game-winning quality.

I think if you're questioning club captain, you're probably overthinking in general.

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

If we have a six point lead at the top of the table at Christmas no one will even think of raising the question of captaincy.

aaronmcguigan

In last years squad, there was ample opportunity for anyone to take the bull by the horn in terms of leadership with us as a sinking ship .
Whether it was wanting the players to show leadership, standing up and being counted, screaming and shouting to organise a defence, taking action when hints go wrong, having th balls to confront bad manager decisions, try to ensure the likes of the new signings assimilated into the group properly .

None of this happened. We had plenty of room for someone to stand up and lead, regardless of whether they had an armband and no one took it. I'm concerned if it happens again, no one will take the onus on helping to turn it around, especially with a less experienced head coach making the decisions.

As for the original question, it doesn't matter who wears the armband. Mitro with his international experience, Betts being here since he was a boy knowing the club inside out, Cairney/kmac/ StefJo all here now at least 3 years... , Tim Ream has played 250 games in england now ,you'd expect to see their experience and leadership shining through by now

The only player I remember trying to take a bit of responsibility or onus on himself  was Abou Kamara with that penalty, yet he went around it in their worst possible way

Chutney

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 09, 2019, 12:27:00 PM
In last years squad, there was ample opportunity for anyone to take the bull by the horn in terms of leadership with us as a sinking ship .
Whether it was wanting the players to show leadership, standing up and being counted, screaming and shouting to organise a defence, taking action when hints go wrong, having th balls to confront bad manager decisions, try to ensure the likes of the new signings assimilated into the group properly .

None of this happened. We had plenty of room for someone to stand up and lead, regardless of whether they had an armband and no one took it. I'm concerned if it happens again, no one will take the onus on helping to turn it around, especially with a less experienced head coach making the decisions.

As for the original question, it doesn't matter who wears the armband. Mitro with his international experience, Betts being here since he was a boy knowing the club inside out, Cairney/kmac/ StefJo all here now at least 3 years... , Tim Ream has played 250 games in england now ,you'd expect to see their experience and leadership shining through by now

The only player I remember trying to take a bit of responsibility or onus on himself  was Abou Kamara with that penalty, yet he went around it in their worst possible way

I think Chambers tried at times, impressive considering he was on loan.
C O Y W