watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR interviewers

Started by Andy S, July 09, 2019, 11:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Was Johanna Konta right to pull up the interviewer for asking patronising questions at Wimbledon today? We hear them all the time when footballers are being interviewed. I cringe sometimes at the questions that get asked

Peabody

Good for her, I sometimes wonder what experience some of these critics have in these particular sports, not only from a professional view but also from the pressure that the sporting people are under and don't give me they get paid enough,  that, has nothing to do with it.

junior white

I understand the sportspersons frustrations, however I would rather the awkward questions be asked rather than mundane run of the mill questions they feed egos or avoid possible issues.

Burt

Having just lost a game she was bossing at one stage she would also have been smarting from that and reacted in the way she did. Had she won I suspect she would have been more tolerant of the mundane questions...

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I hate being patronised, and the way he asked her was effectively if she'd tried to win. So yes, she was perfectly entitled to tell him so.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Woolly Mammoth

She had every right to react in that way, she was being polite, he was not, and the guy kept pressing her in a condescending way, and was patronising her. She is the professional, and has sacrificed a lot of her time and worked hard to get where she is. What does he know about playing tennis at that level, unless he has walked in her shoes, which he clearly has not, glad she put him in his place.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

I thought the questionning was a bit harsh, perhaps cretinous, but not patronising. Basically confronting her with her own cock-ups. What he said was true but obviously not what she wanted to hear, especially from a journo in front of the cameras. So i thought her choice of words ("patronising") was wrong but she was entitled to react badly. Even Hodgson flipped his lid and swore at an Motd journo in similar circumstances a few years back.

Dixie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 10, 2019, 12:42:41 PM
She had every right to react in that way, she was being polite, he was not, and the guy kept pressing her in a condescending way, and was patronising her. She is the professional, and has sacrificed a lot of her time and worked hard to get where she is. What does he know about playing tennis at that level, unless he has walked in her shoes, which he clearly has not, glad she put him in his place.
Spot on! Totally agree with this
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

ffcne

ffcne

Sounds like she has some sort of accent.

Jamie88

Quote from: ffcne on July 10, 2019, 04:26:19 PM
Sounds like she has some sort of accent.

She is an Aussie born to Hungarian parents who now represents Great Britain

filham

It is so wrong to interview these tennis players immediately after a big match, they should be given a cooling off period. Konta had not had the best of games and was well beaten by an experienced opponent who she was expected to beat, it was a big match, she was upset and her nerves were raw, the interviewer should have shown more respect and understanding.