News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do You Remember When People Used To Laugh.

Started by Mince n Tatties, July 10, 2019, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

I read two 'revealing' stories today of relevance to this thread. 

One was about a kid's playground in Holland that has been permanently shut because of the noise of the kids enjoying themselves ... 

The other was about climate scientists having nervous breakdowns, depressions, anxiety and panic attacks and general poor mental health.  All of the sufferers are acknowledged climate alarmists.  The healthy climates scientists appear to be those who remain unconvinced that we have sufficient knowledge of the science involved to be able to know what is happening next week let alone in a decade's time, and those who know just how many untruths and lies have been told to get us to where we are.

We are being taken for a sucker culture. I am afraid that with political correctness they are driving us, and will continue to drive us, up our own exhaust pipes and oblivion.   But choose Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company ...     

Mince n Tatties

The Girls School in Bury Lancs,that can't call it Girls school anymore,even though the 500+ pupils are all girls...lol

filham

I am really enjoying watching a lot of those good old films from the fifties and sixties on channel 81 but am puzzled that most of them carry a warning saying that people may be offended by the content as attitudes were different when the films were made. I just can't see anything offensive in them.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

It's part of the reason I'm no longer on any social media. The amount of people taking offence over the smallest of things is ridiculous.
Some need to read "the boy who cried wolf" and come back to reality.

It's similar to those that spend £100000s on a house near a football stadium and then complain that it's busy on a match day. You knew the stadium was there and in use, why buy the place!!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

bill taylors apprentice

The Black and White Minstrel Show!
Love Thy Neighbour!
Loved them both, there I've said it and I'm a very bad person!   064.gif

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 10, 2019, 07:11:40 PM
Love Thy Neighbour!

That's 100 lines for You.
"I must not be caught Laughing".😝

Dr Know

Anyone remember Curry and Chips , with Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes , late 1960s I think ?

Lighthouse

Love Thy Neighbour!

My Mum loved the Black and White Minstrel show. We bought albums for Christmas. Probably still have them. Yes I am a bad person. No doubt somebody has had an emotion triggered somewhere.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

Quote from: Dr Know on July 10, 2019, 07:55:06 PM
Anyone remember Curry and Chips , with Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes , late 1960s I think ?

I remember it being awful. But don't think it lasted beyond a series. Was right at the end of the 60s I think. Mind you loved Sykes and Milligan in their own series.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

St. Andrews White

The state of this thread [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

ALG01

1500.gif
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 10, 2019, 04:42:06 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 10, 2019, 04:40:46 PM
I think the story was in the sun and it ,ay just be a planning consent issue. Who knows? There are stupid rules for everything.

Planning permission to fly a little flag.lol

I do not know the context of the whole story but know the sun make stuff up. As i understand it you van erect a flagpole to fly the union flaf for free, no planning consent. A fkag for other purposesmay be subject to needing consent, say for advertising purposes... just as you do placing an advertising hording on your land. I am merely saying the source may have been economic with details for us to fully evaluate the situation.

ALG01

:blow candles:
Love Thy Neighbour!

I know you mean it light heartedly but even as a child i thought both programmes bizzare and in poor taste. I  saw no logic to watchingwhite men blacked up and then singing. Love thy neighbour was just awful writing and actinng, laugh? I never did.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

KingofCheese

I am increasingly concerned that we think we are building a cage to lock all the bad stuff in but in fact the cage is being built around us with us inside. The desire to rewrite history, to ban expression of ideas, to ban books, films and plays and to prosecute people who "offend" our worldview is playing out the world as warned by Orwell (1984) and Kafka (the Trial). Context is abandoned and everything is reacted to in a knee jerk way with groups running around social media with metaphorical pitchforks looking to "string people up" we desperately need to rid ourselves of this victim mentality as we now have the ridiculous situation where evil people claim to be the victims to avoid proper scrutiny. Take Lauren booth for example, she worked for PressTv an Iranian news agency that collaborates in the torture of opponents of the Iran regime but claims to be a victim in this country and a "human rights" campaigner.

So saying that I have a black friend who tells me how it felt having to go to school in the 70's after some programme or comedian laid into "the darkie"s" knowing that his day or week would be made miserable by people repeating that rubbish to him all the time. That isn't funny and I for one don't miss it.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

70sPimlico

My advice to many people who are really annoyed with political correctness and stories like the banning of baah baah black sheep and change of names for "manholes' etc is....dont read the daily mail.

for those wanting to watch black n white minstrels and love thy neighbour, they are not banned, they are just very dated and ancient. Black n white minstrels was filmed in black n white for gawds sake.

You can get them on dvd. On reflection, you may need to seach for vhs.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: 70sPimlico on July 11, 2019, 08:49:19 AM
My advice to many people who are really annoyed with political correctness and stories like the banning of baah baah black sheep and change of names for "manholes' etc is....dont read the daily mail.

for those wanting to watch black n white minstrels and love thy neighbour, they are not banned, they are just very dated and ancient. Black n white minstrels was filmed in black n white for gawds sake.

You can get them on dvd. On reflection, you may need to seach for vhs.

What about Betamax?😊

ffcne

Quote from: ALG01 on July 10, 2019, 10:19:24 PM
:blow candles:
Love Thy Neighbour!

I know you mean it light heartedly but even as a child i thought both programmes bizzare and in poor taste. I  saw no logic to watchingwhite men blacked up and then singing. Love thy neighbour was just awful writing and actinng, laugh? I never did.

As a child? 

FFC1987

Quote from: KingofCheese on July 11, 2019, 08:00:08 AM
I am increasingly concerned that we think we are building a cage to lock all the bad stuff in but in fact the cage is being built around us with us inside. The desire to rewrite history, to ban expression of ideas, to ban books, films and plays and to prosecute people who "offend" our worldview is playing out the world as warned by Orwell (1984) and Kafka (the Trial). Context is abandoned and everything is reacted to in a knee jerk way with groups running around social media with metaphorical pitchforks looking to "string people up" we desperately need to rid ourselves of this victim mentality as we now have the ridiculous situation where evil people claim to be the victims to avoid proper scrutiny. Take Lauren booth for example, she worked for PressTv an Iranian news agency that collaborates in the torture of opponents of the Iran regime but claims to be a victim in this country and a "human rights" campaigner.

So saying that I have a black friend who tells me how it felt having to go to school in the 70's after some programme or comedian laid into "the darkie"s" knowing that his day or week would be made miserable by people repeating that rubbish to him all the time. That isn't funny and I for one don't miss it.

Very well put. Totally agree, the worrisome thing for me is, that line of acceptable and not acceptable being skewed constantly by the loud minority who seem perpetually offended by anything and everything. It's such a strange culture that I think is absolutely harboured by social media platforms.

Nightwind15

You Brit's think you have it bad, we cannot even sing "Dixie" in the USA any longer for fear of upsetting the populous.  if you like I will send you the list of cannot does here!  Hell, we have people taking issue with honoring the flag of our nation.   
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I was born in Fulham during the War when it was common for people to keep chickens and rabbits in their gardens. In common with many people in the area my grandparents used to get the help of a butchers from behind Stephendale Road if they needed it to do the killing and cleaning. This butcher was the first black man that I had ever seen and to the whole of the Sands End area he was known as 'Darkie'. No offence was intended and none was taken by this man . Oh for such times now!