watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Television prices.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, July 10, 2019, 06:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

filham

It really is time there was control on the TV companies and on players wages.

junior white

Players wages dictate what TV companies pay to a degree, so I agree.

Although you don't have to buy them all as its a choice, that's what TV companies will say. Eleven sports what do they show? At that price could be a bargain if it is more than say 10 games

For me as we are championship that's all i will watch so it's just sky, but then that's all i had last year too

ToodlesMcToot

Anyone have any idea if Sky/ESPN have expanded their coverage? More matches?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 10, 2019, 06:56:24 PM

I'm led to believe it's spread more evenly over the various networks
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

wheelerdeeler

I do find it interesting that more companies are getting involved in the rights for Football. Think all it'll do is lead to more people pirating it. Similar thing with Netflix where at the start it was pretty much the only streaming service and it was convenient to just pay the one fee of like 7-8 pound a month and you get access to everything. Whereas now there's Netflix, Amazon Prime, soon to be Disney Plus etc. and you end up paying however much a month when you're really only interested in one or two things on each platform- so it ends up being more convenient to find a stream for it online.

I see it as similar in Football in the sense that there's just too many different companies for it now, in that you'll get BT, Sky, Amazon, I think Facebook are bidding (or have bid) on some of the packages and it just gets to the point where it's more convenient for the user to find a stream for it.

Personally think if the TV rights go down during the next renewal like they did in the last they might consider their own streaming service "Premier League TV" where you pay however much a month and you get access to all 10 games every weekend. Think that's the future. A one-stop shop to watch Premier League football, rather than it being diluted over 4 or 5 different platforms.

toshes mate

The coverage has always been packaged in bundles by the PL/EFL since it was discovered that as a process it attracted more money both during the bidding process and after.  The process of dissemination across platforms is not in the interest of the individual customer unless all platforms are dip in or out and without contract or the need for specific devices to access.  Meanwhile those who attend games face ever higher prices and increasing costs of travel etc.  It's a problem that self serving economies have because the worth, importance and consideration of the individual customer is marginalized in the process - as in there will be another mug along in a minute.  A better system would be a universal PPV choice system so that you access what you want to access and where subscription is the cheaper option if you watch lots of games on TV.

At the moment the whole media industry is an ugly mess of lower and lower value for money, and poorer and poorer quality in the simple things.  Most terrestrial channels historically do so many thing much, much better than the subscription channels on lower margins but even they are also suffering from the poorer quality in general output.

Chutney

C O Y W

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on July 10, 2019, 07:39:43 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 10, 2019, 06:56:24 PM

I'm led to believe it's spread more evenly over the various networks

Ah, ok. Thanks. I'm just hopeful that someday someone will see the value in televising all of the Championship season. I know not nearly as many are aware or support those clubs outside England but, it's a compelling competition - far more than PL IMHO - and not nearly as top heavy. I think those television rights are more valuable than they're given credit for.....or could be anyway.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude