watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cyrus Christie

Started by Mince n Tatties, July 11, 2019, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

You should wait for the 3 amigos to appear and chat with them,one put up 11 quotes the other day taking up the whole page....How many times posters have  complained and still it goes on....1 or 2 is sufficient.😯

Mince n Tatties

Not a cheap snipe,lots find endless quotes tiresome
And nobody forced you to read and  message on this Christie topic.....I don't go on quite a few,or do you feel you have to have an opinion on everything?

FFC1987

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 11, 2019, 11:05:30 AM
Not a cheap snipe,lots find endless quotes tiresome
And nobody forced you to read and  message on this Christie topic.....I don't go on quite a few,or do you feel you have to have an opinion on everything?

Maybe they should change the quote tool to only bring up a max of 2 quotes or something then?

I don't hold an opinion on everything. I do however take exception when people make posts that I think have misconstrue an argument I've made. In this case 'certain posters think all our problems in defence lay at his door,and he must be replaced.'. I've made an argument that we should replace but haven't said everything at fault with him so it's not a factual portrayal of most of the arguments given up on him.

Mince n Tatties

Did you class yourself as one of the certain posters then,as I didn't mention you.
There were too many to name.
Anyway enough said by me on the subject,time for the hounds walk in the woods.Be lucky.😊

JoelH5

Out of all the players he was the most responsible for our relegation. He is a terrible defender who doesnt track back and cant mark his man. When he gets forward he doesnt putnthe ball in and just circles around with his head down by the corner flag, ultimately losing the ball. He needs to be replaced at all cost.

We knew last July he wasn't good enough hence why we went for Mensah. We knew last Jan he wasnt good enough hence why we went for Sabaly. He is nowhere near the level we need. Nothing against him personally. Seems like a good bloke who is determined, he's just not good enough.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 11, 2019, 12:12:17 PM
Out of all the players he was the most responsible for our relegation. He is a terrible defender who doesnt track back and cant mark his man. When he gets forward he doesnt putnthe ball in and just circles around with his head down by the corner flag, ultimately losing the ball. He needs to be replaced at all cost.

We knew last July he wasn't good enough hence why we went for Mensah. We knew last Jan he wasnt good enough hence why we went for Sabaly. He is no where near the level we need. Nothing against him personally. Seems like a good bloke who is determined, he's just not good enough.

Surely Fosu-Mensah was more influential in our relegation, going on your opinion.

Bassey the warrior

I really don't rate Christie, he's not that great at attacking or defending in my opinion. He's quite slow and his crossing is poor. Bryan is also quite slow but his crossing is good, so it's okay. Would be great if we could get a quick full back, Youssouf Sabaly would be brilliant if he's willing to play at this level.

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 11, 2019, 12:16:25 PM

We knew last July he wasn't good enough hence why we went for Mensah. We knew last Jan he wasnt good enough hence why we went for Sabaly. He is no where near the level we need. Nothing against him personally. Seems like a good bloke who is determined, he's just not good enough.

Surely Fosu-Mensah was more influential in our relegation, going on your opinion.

Agree. T F-M was our worst defender last season. No contest.

Dr Quinzel

People arguing over his deficiencies, but I wonder what people see as his positives? What does he bring to the squad that either one of the younger right backs (for those that have seen them) or A.Nother couldn't? I can't really point to something he does especially well.

My view is that I prefer us to have one especially attacking full-back, and another who will more likely sit. Bryan will attack better than any of the right-backs, so if Christie doesn't excel offensively it isn't such a bother to me. It's his defensive side I'd be thinking about - he's average at best defensively. If he has to play, then so be it, but we could improve upon him if we wanted.

That said, if we want to improve on him, would that be at the cost of improving elsewhere? Way ahead of RB for me is a central defender (I would like MLM to never play for us again), wingers on both sides and someone to backup Mitrovic (if he gets injured for any period of time we're stuffed - Stef Jo false nine anyone :doh:).

ALG01

Quote from: Dodger53 on July 11, 2019, 09:33:13 AM
Christie will not be ok at right back, his ability is poor and atitude are wrong. Back up at best assuming nobody wants him on loan.
I do not lay our defence problems all on Christie, he was just one of them. Playing Sessegnon as a full back and a lack of a good CB were all in the mix but Christie stood out as very poor in defence and he is not a wing back because he can't cross a good ball.

I agree totally except I do not think he has a bad attitude per se, rather that he does have a tendency to give up when caught up field having lost possession. I do think he is a very poor defender in terms of his positioning. I suspect he could be trianed to rather better but I am certain he is nowhere near good enough if we really want to progress.

Nero

Funny how CC was brought on in the play off final for the last 10 mins for Frederick's when he cant defend what was Slav doing!!! as for crossing Frederick's was hardly Mr Accurate he was just fast, think Christie's problems are more to do with how he was told to play, Ireland must have a shortage of RB for him to keep getting games for them.

Matt10

Christie is tricky to me. First off, I'm not sure which games he struggled defensively, other than Arsenal at home where he was instructed to stay forward in a wingback formation. Yet, he is seen multiple times tracking back. I'd love to know specifically when he doesn't track back, because throwing generalizations like that are going to get challenged. Back to my point, he struggled against Arsenal, like we all did, but he struggled against Wolves at Home, and in the last 10 minutes of Spurs at home, including not closing down the cross that set up Winks header. Then the Palace match away was tough to watch because he struggled to the point that he didn't want to cross anymore. It was the first time I've ever seen that.

I've said it before, but my hesitation with Christie is in the attack, and primarily his right foot crossing ability. He needs to take lessons from Joe Bryan who can send in a cross with pace and curve. We need to let go of the Fredericks mentality as his first acceleration point was out of this world, and even defenders that knew what he was doing, could not stop him. Christie isn't that player, so instead he needs to work on his crossing/distribution more.

Furthering my hesitation is more so how he plants his feet and balances his body. It always looks like he is going to fall over, especially with the ball at his feet. It's hard to describe, but I've found myself find it hard to watch him with the ball at times because it's a bit unpredictable of what he is going to do.

Overall, if we find an adequate replacement, I am fine with that as long as they provide good service to Mitro. If Christie shows improvement in that area, then I'd say we have a good RB still. I'd love to see some examples of where he has been consistently a bad defender and doesn't track back though, because that's not exactly what I viewed.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Nero on July 11, 2019, 01:42:25 PM
Funny how CC was brought on in the play off final for the last 10 mins for Frederick's when he cant defend what was Slav doing!!! as for crossing Frederick's was hardly Mr Accurate he was just fast, think Christie's problems are more to do with how he was told to play, Ireland must have a shortage of RB for him to keep getting games for them.

Ireland are not a very good team though. And they have actually also used him in midfield.

Matt10

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 11, 2019, 01:49:37 PM

Ireland are not a very good team though. And they have actually also used him in midfield.

If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't made an appearance for Mick yet either right? Christie's biggest fan was Martin O'Neil, who actually defended him when he was blasted about Arsenal at home. Shame that Christie wasn't placed in midfield again as he actually received a MOTM vs Denmark in the Uefa Nations league. Of course, he didn't play as great in the next match, forgot who it was against. I know some on here have also considered him in the past for the midfield - probably not anymore considering how crowded it is.

Wingnut

We knew last July he wasn't good enough hence why we went for Mensah. We knew last Jan he wasnt good enough hence why we went for Sabaly. He is nowhere near the level we need. Nothing against him personally. Seems like a good bloke who is determined, he's just not good enough.

Can we really lay the blame on one player? On the subject of levels, we need a RB who is proven in the Championship. I would argue that Christie is the man for that job and we have adequate cover at RB in Denis & S. Sess. I'd prefer to see us invest in other areas before we spend money on another RB.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

FFC1987

Quote from: Wingnut on July 11, 2019, 02:39:12 PM

Can we really lay the blame on one player? On the subject of levels, we need a RB who is proven in the Championship. I would argue that Christie is the man for that job and we have adequate cover at RB in Denis & S. Sess. I'd prefer to see us invest in other areas before we spend money on another RB.

You can't seriously blame relegation on one player but he certainly played a part in it. I think we need more pace down that side who can get in behind and provide more in the box balls, more direct at times. We'll struggle without it. Maybe Odoi is that option with the youth as backup. I don't think Christie is that player.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 11, 2019, 01:49:37 PM

Christie had the hardest position in the premier league last season with "Odoi to the left of him" and "Schullre in front of him".

JoelH5

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 11, 2019, 02:42:02 PM

You can't seriously blame relegation on one player but he certainly played a part in it. I think we need more pace down that side who can get in behind and provide more in the box balls, more direct at times. We'll struggle without it. Maybe Odoi is that option with the youth as backup. I don't think Christie is that player.

Do you know what the word 'most' means? Unless the definition has changed today, where did I 'blame relegation on one player'?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

The Rational Fan

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 11, 2019, 02:48:45 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 11, 2019, 02:42:02 PM

Do you know what the word 'most' means? Unless the definition has changed today, where did I 'blame relegation on one player'?

Its ridiculous to blame any one player that makes the starting XI week after week, because the other players in the squad weren't as good as him at RB.

filham

I would start the season with Odoi at right back but we will have to see who is in form come Christmas time, the position is up for grabs and over the season we may see Steven  Sess. come into the picture.
No doubt we have not replaced Fredercks.