https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt O’Reilly

Started by Stoneleigh Loyalist, July 09, 2019, 10:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nero on July 09, 2019, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 09, 2019, 02:20:32 PM
Curious. I keep reading about the club using a preferred agent and the troubles that can cause in negotiations with current or prospective players.

What exactly is the benefit? One would assume that it isn't because the agent gives sweetheart deals because they would, seemingly, have a fiduciary responsibility to get the best deal possible for their clients. So, is this decision to deal with only certain agent(s) more to do with cutting out the bad dealing agents (the McKay's of the world)? Or is it something else? The whole thing seems to limit the pool of players from which the club can choose. On the surface, it doesn't seem beneficial.

Probably something to do with the Fee the agent wants and how quick they are to ask for a payrise for there client every year or the client is off

Thanks. Just trying to figure out the logic of it.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 10, 2019, 07:05:27 PM

Quote from: Nero on July 09, 2019, 03:57:28 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 09, 2019, 02:20:32 PM
Curious. I keep reading about the club using a preferred agent and the troubles that can cause in negotiations with current or prospective players.

What exactly is the benefit? One would assume that it isn't because the agent gives sweetheart deals because they would, seemingly, have a fiduciary responsibility to get the best deal possible for their clients. So, is this decision to deal with only certain agent(s) more to do with cutting out the bad dealing agents (the McKay's of the world)? Or is it something else? The whole thing seems to limit the pool of players from which the club can choose. On the surface, it doesn't seem beneficial.

Probably something to do with the Fee the agent wants and how quick they are to ask for a payrise for there client every year or the client is off

Thanks. Just trying to figure out the logic of it.

If one agent handles all the signings, then the agent can reassure players that other supporting players will come along and explain the long-term plans of the club. For example at Fulham, any top RW would probably wait until we have signed a better RB; and any top RB would probably wait until we have signed a better RCB; and a top RCB won't sign unless we upgrade the RW etc. If you haven't noticed that forms an infinite loop to get a RW you need a RB, to get a RB you need a RCB, to get a RCB you need a RW, who needs a RB, who needs a RCB on forever and ever.

But, if an agent is signing the RW, RCB and RB, then he can reassure all of them that those positions would be upgraded. The advantage for club is there is a more collaborative trusting arrangement between the club and agent, the advantage for the players is that their agent is able to provide more claity about where that club is going. It helps clubs move up the league ladder, but it also gives the agent more power which means you could easily find you team going down the ladder faster too. Personally, I wouldn't use one agent but recommend building a team slowly year on year going up the ladder. I guess the ultimate would be using a clever combination getting some of the advantages of both (e.g. maybe using one agent when you get caught in an infinite loop situation).

Any player signing with Fulham wants to know how much Fulham intends to spend if we get promoted next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony Khan and Mitrovoic discussed how much Tony Khan is going to spend on deadline day this season, because a comment like i'll spend every pound i get from the sale of Sessegnon, Seri and Fabri would make Mitro more likely to sign. Of course, TK cannot have that conversation with players outside the club but a single agents can.

Bassey the warrior

Lad looks great on Youtube, but the test will be whether he can remain so composed when he has less time on the ball and he's getting aggressively tackled. Optimistic though.

Chutney

O'Reilly has the wrong agent and refuses to change, for this reason we have severely limited his game time so far, the lads a proper baller.
C O Y W