watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How long do we give parker?

Started by General, July 15, 2019, 08:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

I want Scott to become the next big thing in management - who wouldn't.. but as much as I do, I'm also aware, as are most others that in the games he managed for us in the premiership we didn't win many and he's now our manager in his first senior posting.

We have the core of the squad that got us up to the premiership and who have proven under the right manager can thrive and dominate the league, so if we don't start on the front foot, with the inclusion of the likes of Ivan etc then how long do you realistically give him? Do we give him until Christmas, the new year? Is this point null and void? How much should he be given slack or should he having played under enough good managers and in the league be expected to hit the ground running? How do you gauge an untested manager and their levels of progression in the role vs results? Is giving it to a relatively inexperienced manager us losing the potential momentum to go straight back up?

Statto

Excluding caretakers the Khans have sacked what, 6 managers? All those sackings have been carried out mid-season but only one of their replacements, Symons for Magath, has made a significant improvement within the same season they were appointed.

At least one of those sackings looks premature with hindsight (Jokanovic) but none of them appear to have been given too long IMO.

So for me, the clear lesson is that these intra-season sackings aren't working for us, and unless we have an epic, disastrous Magath-style start and are clearly on course for relegation, we may as well give the manager the full season.

Then if we finish outside the top 6-8 I'd say by all means replace Parker at the end of the season.

grandad

For goodness sake, the season hasn´t even started & topics like this come up. Why don´t go the whole hog & start a "Who do we want as our next manager?"
Where there's a will there's a wife

ScalleysDad

Two seasons minimum. Rebuild this year and that includes finding a style that suits us, getting the ethos back and laying some foundations without the anchor around his neck of winning automatic promotion and taking the Championship by storm. The current squad is not settled enough for that. Indeed promotion with this squad could be disastrous. The season after next will be the one. The coaches will be settled, some of the younger players will have had more experience that should hopefully replace that experience we lose either through moving on, retirements or quite simply by 'the legs going'. If we gang up on SP because we are not beating teams four nil every week and end up with manager No.8 by January we will be in a right mess.

Nero

His first 3 games where against the top 3, the team did well and didnt embarrass us with 5-0 drubbings, they then won 3 on the bounce, lets cut the guy some slack and get behind him with out the knives in our hands

KJS

Quote from: grandad on July 15, 2019, 09:15:18 AM
For goodness sake, the season hasn´t even started & topics like this come up. Why don´t go the whole hog & start a "Who do we want as our next manager?"

:plus one: It is a ridiculous thread

bobby01

Listening to the Steven Sess interview he seems to have got the youngsters excited, so let's give the fella a go.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

fcfulham55

We played in the premiership last season?  I was not aware of this ffs.   No wonder we struggled in the Premier League.  We should have just stuck to Football.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Well, if Jose is still unemployed, I reckon we should go for him.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

ALG01

Quote from: KJS on July 15, 2019, 09:42:14 AM

:plus one: It is a ridiculous thread

I agree, this is a silly thread before a ball has been kicked. What i want to see is a some structure and a clear purpose to the way we are playing. I will cope with poor results if there is a clear structure that has a long term reward. I think Scott speaks that sort of language. The way we are playing more than results will be key for me and I hope scott leads us successfully for a few years. However that is different to what the Khan's m,ight do if we are bottom third by November, they are apt to panic.

Dr Quinzel

The moment he was given just two years it raised my eyebrows.

It could be seen as a 'get us promoted before the parachute money goes, or you're gone', but equally it could be that Scott didn't want to commit to beyond the parachute money going?

My view is that by giving Scott the job, we HAVE to stand by him - there's no point going for a first-time manager and then sacking him if it's going Pete Tong after 4 months.

Hopefully none of this is necessary to think about!

Sting of the North

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on July 15, 2019, 11:02:50 AM
The moment he was given just two years it raised my eyebrows.

It could be seen as a 'get us promoted before the parachute money goes, or you're gone', but equally it could be that Scott didn't want to commit to beyond the parachute money going?

My view is that by giving Scott the job, we HAVE to stand by him - there's no point going for a first-time manager and then sacking him if it's going Pete Tong after 4 months.

Hopefully none of this is necessary to think about!

I believe that two years is not strange for a rookie manager. Regardless of manager, I would assume that he would be gone if he doesn't achieve promotion within two years. I expect that if he was to achieve promotion a new longer deal with substantially increased wages would be agreed anyway.

Woolly Mammoth

We have to give Scot at least a year or even two years. It has to be for the long term. Give him the time he needs to restore the heart beat that was torn out of the team last season. and restore some consistency.
Changing managers at someone's whim has proved fruitless and just digs the whole deeper which has been confirmed over the last few years. Scot was a players player, and is a proper man manager, and that's half the battle getting players on his side. We have seen the damage done by managers like Magath, Ranieri and Buckingham in the past to name but a few.
My feelings are that he is the sort of bloke that has the character to make a good manager, if we give him the chance and stay off his back, we may reap the benefits.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Really don't understand the posts saying 20/21 is the year we should look to go up.

We'll still be in receipt of parachute payments but they'll be reduced. We may not be able to afford Cairney and Mitro on PL wages and in any case, there's less chance of them wanting to stay in the Championship another year. We won't make Cavaleiro's move permanent so he'll be gone, as will Sessegnon and anyone else who plays well this year, eg Bryan or Mawson.

Most of our current squad have already been playing together for a year or two, and we're not going to fundamentally change our tactics, so I see no benefit from an extra year, just downside.

If we miss out on promotion by a whisker this year then I'd be happy to keep Parker for another go, but this year has to be our best chance of achieving it.

Andy S

MJG

Scott will have targets both him and the owners will have agreed. He's being given almost the same squad as last year and with a few improvements still to arrive.
Target has to be to be playoffs at the very least. So you have to break the season down and set targets at points of the season.

First one where a review would be done (apart from a shocking run of results happening) would be game 16 and international break after the Birmingham away game. Pretty much a third of the way into the season and the table will have settled down.

To be top 2 using the past averages we would need  about 31+ points from 16 games
To be in the play off positions about 26+ points from 16 games.

I suspect you would not want less than 20/21 at that stage. And yes we all know about 23 game runs but that doesnt happen often.

In the 4 years in the championship we had 16, 20, 24 and 19 points after 16 games.
Gives a picture of where we need to be at that point.
Just the views of a long term fan

filham

Parker has to build a team , lets think about the changes that are going to be made to players before we start thinking about changing the manager.
I am hoping to see Parker with us for three or four seasons before he is poached by Spurs.

Tabby

If we're far from playoffs by New Years I think he'll get sacked. We aren't in as bad a shape as when Kit was appointed, I expect both Parker and management have higher expectations than back then.

toshes mate

So many people shout the words 'results, results, results' when looking at a team's current trajectory.  Results are what matter in any competitive sport but over what kind of period do you expect a return and from what starting point?  The FFC team includes more than just the players and coaches and if just one person interferes with the acceptable and accepted time line for success in an arbitrary fashion just because of short term issues then they must expect inconvenient and unexpected consequences for their action.  The Khans have made one good head coach appointment in six years who is also the longest lasting of all their appointments.  They might like to grasp the logic of that simple but true fact.

When you are looking at the whole team to succeed then you must look at the whole team when it fails.  If you appoint the wrong person for the wrong job then that is a recruitment failure and you take steps to understand what went wrong.  You do not repeat the same mistake because, if you do, then you haven't learned from the original mistake.  Either SP is here for a realistic run - one complete season or more, or we continue going around in circles getting nowhere fast.  One good coaching appointment suggests the Khans are not learning from mistakes and they need to ensure SP is a runaway success.  TK should publicly declare that if SP fails then he will fall on his sword too.   

Twig

It's a bit of a non-topic really. But to my mind we should and baring disasters, will, give him the season. The club owner however has a propensity to be rather impatient. I agree with MJG, they will be setting targets and I hope they don't react prematurely.