more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

le tour 2019

Started by ALG01, July 14, 2019, 11:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

with all the cricket, tennis and F1
Le tour has been brilliant as usual with proper athletes showing that the competitive spirit is alive and well. these guys risk life and limb, fall off their backs and just carry on despite injuries that would have most of running to A and E. This year we have a proper race and mpt a prossesion... It is as good as all the other stuff this week and it is every day for three weeks!

Carborundum

It's brilliant as always and watching the French countryside roll past is a pleasure in its own right.

Todays's finish is in Albi.  If you've never been and have a chance to go, don't hesitate.  It's a gem of a place. 

Dr Know

Quote from: Carborundum on July 15, 2019, 01:36:21 PM
It's brilliant as always and watching the French countryside roll past is a pleasure in its own right.

Todays's finish is in Albi.  If you've never been and have a chance to go, don't hesitate.  It's a gem of a place. 
It's the gear changes that have me on the edge of my seat , one cyclist following another , zzzzzzz .

KJS

Yes just love all that bright colour of Lycra zzzzzzzzz

ALG01

Quote from: Dr Know on July 15, 2019, 02:06:53 PM

It's the gear changes that have me on the edge of my seat , one cyclist following another , zzzzzzz .

If that was all there was too it. It is an imensely technical sport with athleticism and tactics all mixed in. If you watch live, the whole stage, especially flat stages it can be dull but then I have seen some stinking football games too. But once you get the hang of the tour it is thrilling.

ALG01

I have been to Albi.
1st i ate the best ever chocolate fondant I have ever had there.
2. the cathedral, places which usually leave me cold, is amazing. When we were there the organist was practicing in the style of Bernie Worrel, one of my favourite organists (check out parliament and funkadelic), we had a very interesting day all round there.

The stage yesterday was imense and this years race is likely to be brilliant, nearly every day has had great moments. Thomas is looking good, and could win if he ever learns to avoid the crashes. Alaphilip looks very good too, will have to see what he does in the high mountains.

grandad

Cycling, watching paint dry & watching golf are all on a par.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ALG01

Quote from: grandad on July 16, 2019, 05:01:44 PM
Cycling, watching paint dry & watching golf are all on a par.

cycling is an imensely technical sport with subtle tactics and vast elements of danger. the guys are superb athletes, brave and for those with the capability of understanding what is going on, the sport is phenomenally exciting. But if you just watch the odd ten minutes here and there, you will never grasp the brilliance of the thing.

I have to agree with you about golf
I have given it every chance but in the end it is boring and seems to be sport for people that have nothing better to do and cannpot manage to run about but don't want to play darts (which I do like bit do not know why!).

RaySmith

Road cycling can be boring much of the time, but you have to know when to watch it - like the all out  sprints, risking life and limb, to win that unfold with teams jockeying for position to get their sprinters in  place 20k before the end of the  flat stages, the brutal mountain climbs on tired legs when the race is often lost and won, and the  50 mph plus descents, plus the unfolding tactics.

It's actually  about the most demanding and dramatic sport there is.
Compared to cycling footballers are  completely soft, feigning injury  at every opportunity, while cyclists carry on riding with broken bones and  gashed legs, putting it in  every day for three weeks in the most testing conditions.

I think the avarage person who does sport can at least see that the  football pros aren't too much fitter than them,or even more skilful, if they go the chance to train every day - there is gulf, but it doesn't seem TOO great, but to imagine yourself  cycling at the speed, at such distances and terrain as pro cyclists, seems impoosibe for me to think I would have ever been capable of it.

Dr Know

Must be all the drugs the cyclists are on !  Boring , boring , boring !

Burt

I agree with all the comments around how technical a sport it is, the amazing fitness levels of these guys, etc. etc. but for me it has yet to fully recover from Lance Armstrong et al, to the extent that I am always thinking whether whoever crossed the line first was actually "clean" or not...

ALG01

Quote from: Dr Know on July 17, 2019, 07:14:05 AM

I take this as the wind up it is and treat with the amusement you are aiming for.
Boring it isn't (well some stages are if you watch all five hours and not much happens) but taken over three weeks it is spectacularly exciting but you have tohave the capability to understand it, and to do that you actually have to watch it for a bit and try to get somebody who understands it to explain what is going on and why. It is a brilliant team sport, the winner does not do it alone. The drugs? well yes there has been that... but it is obvious who is really cheating e.g Lance Armstrong was clearly cheating from the moment he returend to cycling after beating cancer, everyone with eyes in their head and a brain to think knew that.

If you do not give it a chance, and that is your decision and prefer not to watch you shouldn't need to comment here. I stayed away from the criocket thread which i find immensely boring (although the last few overs of the world cup were brilliant, but I at least gave it a chance and tried to understand what was going on)

Dr Know

Quote from: ALG01 on July 17, 2019, 12:53:59 PM
Quote from: Dr Know on July 17, 2019, 07:14:05 AM

I take this as the wind up it is and treat with the amusement you are aiming for.
Boring it isn't (well some stages are if you watch all five hours and not much happens) but taken over three weeks it is spectacularly exciting but you have tohave the capability to understand it, and to do that you actually have to watch it for a bit and try to get somebody who understands it to explain what is going on and why. It is a brilliant team sport, the winner does not do it alone. The drugs? well yes there has been that... but it is obvious who is really cheating e.g Lance Armstrong was clearly cheating from the moment he returend to cycling after beating cancer, everyone with eyes in their head and a brain to think knew that.

If you do not give it a chance, and that is your decision and prefer not to watch you shouldn't need to comment here. I stayed away from the criocket thread which i find immensely boring (although the last few overs of the world cup were brilliant, but I at least gave it a chance and tried to understand what was going on)
Not a wind up !  Have watched it in the past and , like I posted earlier it's watching one cyclist following another and another , how anyone gets excited by that is beyond me , anyway each to there own !

Carborundum

Quote from: Dr Know on July 17, 2019, 01:50:37 PM
anyway each to there own !

This.

Sobering thought, but there are some who think football is a group of people kicking a ball around.  You could try talking them round, but twenty years of marriage has suggested that's not always going to work.

FFC1987

Quote from: Carborundum on July 17, 2019, 03:19:05 PM
Quote from: Dr Know on July 17, 2019, 01:50:37 PM
anyway each to there own !

This.

Sobering thought, but there are some people who think football is a group of people kicking a ball around.  You could try talking them round, but twenty years of marriage has suggested that's not always going to work.

Marrying someone for twenty years to try and persuade them why football is good seems the wrong way to go man....

Mince n Tatties

I reckon they should televise Tiddlywinks.
They're all a bunch of Winkers.😝