News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What position(s) are the most important to strengthen?

Started by Maidstone Lee, July 17, 2019, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What position(s) are the most important to strengthen?

Right Back
16 (7.7%)
Centre Back
43 (20.6%)
Right Back & Centre Back
134 (64.1%)
Left back
0 (0%)
Left back & Centre Back
1 (0.5%)
Any other position?
15 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 22, 2019, 05:01:15 PM

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: grandad on July 17, 2019, 10:02:47 PM
Don´tneed a RB as we have Christie & both S Sess & Marlon Fossey are with the squad in Portugal. RCB is the most urgent followed by a real RW.
How do you know Marlon is with the squad? There was a picture of a 6 team group of Fulham players and I didn't see Marlons name at all.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 17, 2019, 10:57:32 PM
Quote from: grandad on July 17, 2019, 10:02:47 PM
Don´tneed a RB as we have Christie & both S Sess & Marlon Fossey are with the squad in Portugal. RCB is the most urgent followed by a real RW.
How do you know Marlon is with the squad? There was a picture of a 6 team group of Fulham players and I didn't see Marlons name at all.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

TK implied some players (plural) are ready for league one loans that have not yet played for Fulham competitive yet and they now have stats for league one. As Sess, Edun, Riley and Torres have played competitively for Fulham, the best player that never played for Fulham is Fossey. I suspect he'll go on loan to league one and replace Christie when he comes back if he plays well.

toshes mate

The most difficult teams as opponents are those who do not concede many goals to any opponent.  The rationale is that opponents are forced to take more risks in attacks than they may be otherwise use to doing and leave spaces that a potent midfield and attack can exploit ruthlessly.   Once behind on score teams are then exposed to taking even more risk to claw a recovery back, and, occasionally, they may get the rub of the green.  The flanks are the key parts of attacking philosophy since potency tends to cause teams to defend deeper to try to prevent opponents getting behind them.  It also releases spaces in midfield.

We haven't had a pacy attacking right back since Fredericks left and that has impacted upon performances from that moment on.  Christie has had his moments and may come again, but I feel it is FFC's weakest position.  Right Centre Back has been drawn into attention by our release of Kalas who was not adequately replaced last summer.   Even if you allow for injuries to key players you have to ask yourself why we haven't purchased a reasonably good right footed central defender in what will be three windows if something doesn't happen soon.  That is why I go for RB and RCB.   

bobby01

I love Kevin Macdonald, I voted for him as player of the year over Ream in our championship season. I do however feel time has caught up with him and he is not a starter for me this year, I presume Zambo will take this spot.
Stefan also makes me wonder if he will be as good as seasons before, I think we need an upgrade.
Tom is Tom, when he wants to he can be one of the best midfielders in the league, but he cracks under pressure and opposition teams will press him more this season I feel. Also he will not work back when he loses the ball. We have to accept he is somewhat a luxury player not a great midfielder.

The reasons I am concentrating here is, that for all our back fours faults, they are continually left out to dry. If the fullbacks push on we still to often get left with just 2 back, with no real pace.

The two best covering players against Porto were AK and Neeskins.

If we are to continue with 4-3-3 then this midfield trio needs to be addressed or it will not matter who we buy to strengthen if they are constantly under pressure when we are not in possession.

Just an opinion.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: toshes mate on July 18, 2019, 10:12:30 AM
The rationale [for strong defense] is that opponents are forced to take more risks in attacks than they may be otherwise use to doing and leave spaces that a potent midfield and attack can exploit ruthlessly.

We haven't had a pacy attacking right back since Fredericks left and that has impacted upon performances from that moment on. 

Why we haven't purchased a reasonably good right footed central defender in what will be three windows if something doesn't happen soon. 

The rationale for a strong defense is based on the assumption that other team wants to avoid a draw
and push forward leaving gaps. Next season most games we play other teams will be more happy with a draw than us, so we are more likely to push forward first and leave gaps.

You say we haven't had a pacey right back but TFM was the fastest right back in the premier league not Fredricks.

You say we haven't had a right footed centre back, Mawson is a right footed CB even if he normally plays LCB.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I am glad that at last someone has caught on to the truth about Macdonald and Steffo. They were quality two years ago when they were at a peak but two years on time has taken its toll and they are not the players that they were. Both of them must be looked at as squad fillers at best.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on July 18, 2019, 11:08:51 AM
I am glad that at last someone has caught on to the truth about Macdonald and Steffo. They were quality two years ago when they were at a peak but two years on time has taken its toll and they are not the players that they were. Both of them must be looked at as squad fillers at best.

I think you are wrong about "the truth". KMac is 31, StefJo 28. That is nothing. The difference is, I believe, that two years ago they were comfortably playing in a midfield three that had clicked. Now they are trying to fin their way back to that after a really poor season. Although I also believe that they are both replaceable, and that neither of them are likely to ever make more than a minor contribution in the PL should we get promoted. So, in the PL I believe that they are squad fillers at best, in the Championship I believe that they are above average starting quality at worst. I would in any case assume that Anguissa will replace one of them as soon as he is back and in shape.

FFC1987

I personally think KMac will be a great squad player but he's certainly lost his legs. Seems very awkward whenever i've seen him and anyone remotely with pace beats him and entices fouls from him. Not writing him off as he's still a good player but he certainly shouldn't be our no.1 without competition next season.

Andy S

You should always look to improve the squad and every player is at least adequate. If a decent player comes along then bring him in. Squad players last season may have done enough to earn a place this year. How else can anybody say who should be replaced?

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 18, 2019, 10:46:36 AM
The rationale for a strong defense is based on the assumption that other team wants to avoid a draw
and push forward leaving gaps. Next season most games we play other teams will be more happy with a draw than us, so we are more likely to push forward first and leave gaps.

You say we haven't had a pacey right back but TFM was the fastest right back in the premier league not Fredricks.

You say we haven't had a right footed centre back, Mawson is a right footed CB even if he normally plays LCB.
And your evidence of inferior teams parking the bus to successfully negotiate relegation issues is what?
TFM was rapidly going absolutely nowhere.  He was worse than Christie for pity sake.
Has Mawson ever had a successful run at playing right centre back and if so with whom and where?

Your specious attempts at intelligent argument are getting to be tedious.  I read elsewhere of your concerns up front, a situation FFC have had ever since Dembele and McCormack were sold.  We even sold Matt Smith once Martin's loan saga was sorted.   We haven't had true striker cover since TK took over the recruitment bureau.   Our greatest development in that time has been the ability to score from both flanks and midfield at will - a stronger defence will make that more likely to happen, although bus parking may feature large as life if we start winning games 4-0, 5-0 or better.  That is when superior skills in the midfield come into play.  Refer back to some of SJ's triumphs in his first full season.     

Maidstone Lee

The rationale [for strong defense] is that opponents are forced to take more risks in attacks than they may be otherwise use to doing and leave spaces that a potent midfield and attack can exploit ruthlessly.

We haven't had a pacy attacking right back since Fredericks left and that has impacted upon performances from that moment on. 

Why we haven't purchased a reasonably good right footed central defender in what will be three windows if something doesn't happen soon. 

Is this Tony Khan?  064.gif 064.gif
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 18, 2019, 11:58:39 AM

Unfortunately, if I was DoF, the owner probably would look at our past record and ask me why should he give me more money given the last money he gave the DoF; from his sons future inheritance, was thrown down the toilet. Of course, i doubt the owner is too worried about his son throwing his own inheritance down the toilet, besides Tony Khan needs to practice managing money before he can be  trusted with serious money Flex-n-Gate. Shahid Khan has got richer since Tony Khan took the DoF position at Fulham (probably cause he let experts manage FlexNGate) and TK may have learnt a little too, so it must be the right decision for SK. SK just help believing in your son signing any and all cheque's that come along.

Two Ton Ted

I still think we need a right back, a centre half a goalkeeper, and a centre forward as cover for Mitrovic.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

bobby01

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 18, 2019, 11:58:39 AM

This has crossed my mind many times, if not then someone close to him, with the perpetual use of stats. 064.gif. But there again I think alg01 is nose  :023:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on July 18, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
I still think we need a right back, a centre half a goalkeeper, and a centre forward as cover for Mitrovic.

For a goalkeeper might i suggest one that has twice won goalkeeper of the season in a Tier-1 league, has averaged less than a goal a game in his last 70 league games (including the three goals he let in against Tottenham), made more saves per game in the premier league than any other goalkeeper and played lots of champions league football in the past three seasons. If Betts is better than Fabri fine, but Fabri is a quality keeper with a quality record. Fabri is quality keeper, Bielsa wanted him. Betts is was Southgate third choice for England. And, some say Rodak is better than both. Don't buy another keeper please.

Nero

I think we just need a vocal Right Centre Back and that should help the right back situation

Skatzoffc

Quote from: filham on July 17, 2019, 06:17:55 PM
Really good players at right back and centre back but they have to be outstanding not just more of the same.

Agreed.
Been saying this for a while now.

We are looking to go back up so top Champ/PL quality reqd.
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Sting of the North

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 18, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
Really good players at right back and centre back but they have to be outstanding not just more of the same.

Agreed.

COYW!

Yes, which is of course very hard to acquire when we are a Championship team.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 18, 2019, 12:53:06 PM

Agreed.

COYW!

If Mawson and Ream don't classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd" centre backs, then i cannot work out how Cisse, McDonald, Johasen, Kamara, Atiye, Kebano and Fonte classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd".

And, i'd go as to far to say that Mawson could easily be a better RCB than Cairney is CAM this season.

Mawsons backup at RCB is Odoi (decent backup), but Cairney's backup is to make a trip out of Cisse, KMac, Anguissa and Stefjo which is not a good trio. We need to create an attack without Babel, R.Sess and reserves like Seri, Schullre and Vietto, defense is last years problem we need goals in championship.

Tabby

Mawson hasn't been played at the right in the preseason games. He was on the left even when paired with MLM against Burnley according to the match report.

I think that should tell you that a right-sided CB is something that they're trying to sign. If the plan was to play Mawson there Parker would have surely stuck him there during the friendlies.