News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What position(s) are the most important to strengthen?

Started by Maidstone Lee, July 17, 2019, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What position(s) are the most important to strengthen?

Right Back
16 (7.7%)
Centre Back
43 (20.6%)
Right Back & Centre Back
134 (64.1%)
Left back
0 (0%)
Left back & Centre Back
1 (0.5%)
Any other position?
15 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 22, 2019, 05:01:15 PM

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 18, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 18, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
Quote from: filham on July 17, 2019, 06:17:55 PM
Really good players at right back and centre back but they have to be outstanding not just more of the same.

Agreed.
Been saying this for a while now.

We are looking to go back up so top Champ/PL quality reqd.
COYW!

If Mawson and Ream don't classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd" centre backs, then i cannot work out how Cisse, McDonald, Johasen, Kamara, Atiye, Kebano and Fonte classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd".

And, i'd go as to far to say that Mawson could easily be a better RCB than Cairney is CAM this season.

Mawsons backup at RCB is Odoi (decent backup), but Cairney's backup is to make a trip out of Cisse, KMac, Anguissa and Stefjo which is not a good trio. We need to create an attack without Babel, R.Sess and reserves like Seri, Schullre and Vietto, defense is last years problem we need goals in championship.

O'Riley or de la Torre, Kebano and Ayite I believe are good enough back ups to Cairney, Cavaleiro and Kamara. Other positions need filling first IMO, RCB the main priority. If we can improve out attack, great.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Tabby on July 18, 2019, 01:41:33 PM
Mawson hasn't been played at the right in the preseason games. He was on the left even when paired with MLM against Burnley according to the match report.

I think that should tell you that a right-sided CB is something that they're trying to sign. If the plan was to play Mawson there Parker would have surely stuck him there during the friendlies.

Using that logic MLM might play RCB this season, he played well in that position against Everton, Bournmouth and Cardiff. The question is can the money be better spent elsewhere or saved til the next transfer window to replace an injured player like Mawson last season.

Wingnut

Quote from: grandad on July 17, 2019, 10:02:47 PM
Don´tneed a RB as we have Christie & both S Sess & Marlon Fossey are with the squad in Portugal. RCB is the most urgent followed by a real RW.

Agree with you and I think we need a backup CF after that.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 18, 2019, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 18, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on July 18, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
Quote from: filham on July 17, 2019, 06:17:55 PM
Really good players at right back and centre back but they have to be outstanding not just more of the same.

Agreed.
Been saying this for a while now.

We are looking to go back up so top Champ/PL quality reqd.
COYW!

If Mawson and Ream don't classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd" centre backs, then i cannot work out how Cisse, McDonald, Johasen, Kamara, Atiye, Kebano and Fonte classify as "top Champ/PL quality reqd".

And, i'd go as to far to say that Mawson could easily be a better RCB than Cairney is CAM this season.

Mawsons backup at RCB is Odoi (decent backup), but Cairney's backup is to make a trip out of Cisse, KMac, Anguissa and Stefjo which is not a good trio. We need to create an attack without Babel, R.Sess and reserves like Seri, Schullre and Vietto, defense is last years problem we need goals in championship.

O'Riley or de la Torre, Kebano and Ayite I believe are good enough back ups to Cairney, Cavaleiro and Kamara. Other positions need filling first IMO, RCB the main priority. If we can improve out attack, great.

Tim Ream can play LCB was player of the year there.

Mawson is capable of being a premier league RCB.

MLM played RCB in the EPL and he got three clean sheets.

Odoi played RCB in the 17/18 Championship and he got 11 clean sheets.

Kamara got 10 goals in the last 44 games.

Atiye and Kebano have got around each 5 goals in their last 40 games

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 18, 2019, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 18, 2019, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on July 18, 2019, 10:12:30 AM
The rationale [for strong defense] is that opponents are forced to take more risks in attacks than they may be otherwise use to doing and leave spaces that a potent midfield and attack can exploit ruthlessly.

We haven't had a pacy attacking right back since Fredericks left and that has impacted upon performances from that moment on. 

Why we haven't purchased a reasonably good right footed central defender in what will be three windows if something doesn't happen soon. 

The rationale for a strong defense is based on the assumption that other team wants to avoid a draw
and push forward leaving gaps. Next season most games we play other teams will be more happy with a draw than us, so we are more likely to push forward first and leave gaps.

You say we haven't had a pacey right back but TFM was the fastest right back in the premier league not Fredricks.

You say we haven't had a right footed centre back, Mawson is a right footed CB even if he normally plays LCB.

Is this Tony Khan?  064.gif 064.gif

It has to be him, we are going to have to have a full investigation commencing with an early dawn raid. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Classic94

RCB has to be the absolute priority, followed by RW and DM.

fulhamfan

Danny Simpson is a free agent  and could do a job for us for a season or 2.

32 isnt too old either