watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cyrus Christie

Started by DevonFFC, July 18, 2019, 06:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

It seems to me that Cyrus Christie's video caption message is expressing his sentiments about negativity in the generic sense, which includes the reverse meaning of positivity.  Whether or not you, the observer of the message, believe in the sentiment is down to your personal feelings about the positive v. negative syndrome which, in many cultures, is said to exclude the essential meaning that both are absolutely necessary - in balance - to complete a whole.  It is the kind of superficial thing that is very common on social media and means very little.

I've watched a lot of Cyrus since he joined FFC including his games for Ireland to see if he played better in different formations and styles but he was always much the same performer.  He is a good footballer who has limits that he recognises and plays well within.  I do feel he was an inappropriate choice to replace Fredericks whose skill set was very different.   That isn't Cyrus's fault.  It is also a good reason why he didn't replace Fredericks while our former right back was still here.  He has had a tough introduction to life at the Club but at least he has stuck to it.   Wish him well under Parker but I think he is playing in our weakest position and on our weakest flank as it stands.  Hope he does better with a decent partner on the right but I still criticise him if he doesn't.       

Sting of the North

Quote from: ALG01 on July 18, 2019, 08:58:19 PM
he was not up to the standard in the promotion year and the because of the step up was spectacularly poor last season.
In the friendly V porto he was poor again.... we need a proper right back

Why wasn't he up to standard in the promotion year? How can you come to that conclusion?

JoelH5

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 18, 2019, 09:28:06 PM
he was not up to the standard in the promotion year and the because of the step up was spectacularly poor last season.

Why wasn't he up to standard in the promotion year? How can you come to that conclusion?

I think the question is, was he better than Fredericks?

Most would say no. We went up through the playoffs last time. We want to get automatic now. Why would we want a player who is not as good as the one we had in the playoff season?
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Statto

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 18, 2019, 10:00:41 PM

Most would say no. We went up through the playoffs last time. We want to get automatic now. Why would we want a player who is not as good as the one we had in the playoff season?

During the half season we had Targett, Mitrovic and a fit Cairney, we significantly outperformed Cardiff, and even Wolves I believe. In other words, we were a top 2 side, and arguably the best side in the division. So we don't need to be any better than that to go up via the automatics, if indeed that's our aim.

To reach that standard again, I don't think every player has to be the same, but rather, the team overall needs to be up to the same standard.

IMO Anguissa, Cavaleiro and Mawson are upgrades on McDonald, Ayite and Ream. I suspect we'll also bring in a RCB who's better than Odoi. Having upgraded in 4 positions, IMO we can afford to be marginally worse in at least 1 position, which will most likely be RB.

Sting of the North

So, the answer is then that because he didn't start ahead of the already well performing and integrated Fredericks, he was not up to upper Championship standard. Very weird reasoning, seemingly devoid of logic (unless you think that Fredericks was not good enough perhaps). In any case, we would probably always want as good players as possible in every position. But the question is not if he is better now than Fredericks was in our promotion season. The relevant question is (quite obviously one would think) whether he is good enough to play a part in a team with promotion ambitions. So unless you are certain that i) Fredericks is a better player, and ii) Fredericks was the absolute minimum standard of a right back that a team could hope gain promotion with, the comparison is not really relevant when answering the relevant question.

FFC1987

He's warranted constructive criticism but boo'ing and being abusive is too much. Blindly supportive isn't my thing and trying to force that view on others is reductive. Being critical is fine, being abusive is not.

ALG01

Because I saw him play, in the flesh, far to often.

JoelH5

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 18, 2019, 10:19:41 PM
He's warranted constructive criticism but boo'ing and being abusive is too much. Blindly supportive isn't my thing and trying to force that view on others is reductive. Being critical is fine, being abusive is not.
Quote from: Sting of the North on July 18, 2019, 10:18:46 PM

So, the answer is then that because he didn't start ahead of the already well performing and integrated Fredericks, he was not up to upper Championship standard. Very weird reasoning, seemingly devoid of logic (unless you think that Fredericks was not good enough perhaps). In any case, we would probably always want as good players as possible in every position. But the question is not if he is better now than Fredericks was in our promotion season. The relevant question is (quite obviously one would think) whether he is good enough to play a part in a team with promotion ambitions. So unless you are certain that i) Fredericks is a better player, and ii) Fredericks was the absolute minimum standard of a right back that a team could hope gain promotion with, the comparison is not really relevant when answering the relevant question.

Ive got a tip for you. When trying to argue a point, try not to use phrases such as 'devoid of logic.' It tends to make you look childish and detract from your argument.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: ALG01 on July 18, 2019, 10:53:06 PM

Christie did a job for us in our promotion season. He wasn't spectacular (not that he had much time to be), but he still chipped in with a few assists. Only thing that springs out to me with Christie in our promotion season (other than scoring against us for Boro) is him not taking it to the corner against Brentford.

I think we signed Christie that January to be a Fredericks replacement in the Championship as we knew Fredericks was off, and he was never intended to be a starting Prem Right-Back. It just so happened that the player we did sign to be our starting Right-Back in Fosu-Mensah managed to be worse. So while I want us to sign a new RB, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

wheelerdeeler

To add on, I said this in a different thread as well- we all complain about our kids not getting enough chances, but then we all also want a new signing rather than acknowledging that Parker might want to fully back S. Sessegnon/Fossey/Drameh for next season. I think a proper pathway to the first team is one of Parker's "things", because Taylor-Crossdale spoke quite openly about it when he signed. So if we're looking for a Christie replacement, we might already have it.

The Rational Fan

Cyrus Christie had the hardest job in the premier league with Odoi providing support inside him, Schurlle in front of him and Hazard coming at him. And, although he was quite bad, he wasn't a total failure. If anyone doubts his standard, i believe he has played more games in the Championship than any other player in the squad (around 140 games). He is not a strength, but nearly every team ever promoted has had a worse player in their Starting XI somewhere for half a season. We are losing lots of players, replacing players and 60% of transfers from the average DoF don't work (and our DoF is very average). We need to have money to buy at least one player in the winter transfer window, because someone will get injured or disappoint. If I was delay one position until then it would be the RB as we have two decent players Christie and Odoi plus a few more potentials S.Sess, Fossey, Dramah and Cisse.

Sting of the North

Quote from: ALG01 on July 18, 2019, 10:53:06 PM

Do you refer to the one full game + a couple of short subs he played for us, or were you watching Boro a lot? Because if it is the former, I would think that it is harsh to judge a new player on such a very limited number of performances.

Sting of the North

Quote from: JoelH5 on July 18, 2019, 10:55:13 PM

Ive got a tip for you. When trying to argue a point, try not to use phrases such as 'devoid of logic.' It tends to make you look childish and detract from your argument.

My apologies for putting forth a childish looking argument, I agree that such phrases were not needed to put forth my point.

So, in order to be able to have a non childish argument, instead I ask you this: Do you believe that Fredericks anno 17/18 was the absolute minimum required standard of a championship right back (assuming the team wants a fair chance at promotion)?

toshes mate

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 18, 2019, 11:18:31 PM
To add on, I said this in a different thread as well- we all complain about our kids not getting enough chances, but then we all also want a new signing rather than acknowledging that Parker might want to fully back S. Sessegnon/Fossey/Drameh for next season. I think a proper pathway to the first team is one of Parker's "things", because Taylor-Crossdale spoke quite openly about it when he signed. So if we're looking for a Christie replacement, we might already have it.
I am hopeful that you are right in believing we already have some options to tease out for the right flank options because I do not see us signing (i.e. not loaning) a RB before the window shuts.  I also believe SP will integrate youngsters as far as he can trust them if circumstances suggest there are good partnerships to be derived from training ground exercises.  I also believe Christie offers some real utility (as does Odoi) from the bench if one of the youngsters is successfully integrated into first team action.

hovewhite

Really pisses me off ,people slagging off players on these sites and it's always the same players.get a life!

filham

Quote from: grandad on July 18, 2019, 06:33:59 PM
Any player wearing our shirt deserves encouragement. The constant slagging off a player & booing are counter productive. Make fair & objective comments after a game is fine but the abuse he gets before the season has started is uncalled for.

Fully agree.
That right back spot was a problem last season with three players failing to make a success.
We should give Christie a clean start this season to se how well he does.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: hovewhite on July 19, 2019, 08:01:23 AM
Really pisses me off ,people slagging off players on these sites and it's always the same players.get a life!

This negative attitude is clearly getting to the players, Christie commented on his feed, Fabri's friends  have commented, an article about Seri implied he didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted and even Ryan Sessegnon has wanted to leave even since fans complained about him being on the bench. The DoF is clearly also distressed, he got his dad to give him some of future inheritance and wasted some of it, but we still ended up with Mawson, Bryan, Anguissa, Mitrovoic and Caveliro that's not value for money but still an upgrade most championship teams dream of. Of course, we should discuss where upgrades are needed and if Christie was a backup RB our team would be stronger. But if you support Fulham you'll still be watching if Christie is our best player, rather than our weakest.

Mince n Tatties

I'd rather have Cyrus at RB than Odoi.
When Odoi played there,he kept showing the attacker on the ball inside instead of down the line.
And what happened, ball in back of net most times.

I Ronic

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on July 18, 2019, 06:46:01 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on July 18, 2019, 06:40:06 PM
Quote from: grandad on July 18, 2019, 06:33:59 PM
Any player wearing our shirt deserves encouragement. The constant slagging off a player & booing are counter productive. Make fair & objective comments after a game is fine but the abuse he gets before the season has started is uncalled for.

I think he was the worst player in the regular 11 last season due to, in my opinion, his poor marking, lack of ability to get the ball into the box etc. However, that is nothing against his personality. He seems very professional and a decent guy. I think if people dont make personal assumptions but comment on his ability, that's fair enough.  As fans of the club,  we are allowed a view. What I dont agree with is people making personal comments about someone they don't know.

Yeah, but if you hear your "customers/clients" or whatever you want to call them, slagging you off, will it have a Positive or negative effect on you?!
We're supporters, we're supposed to support the team.

:plus one:

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 19, 2019, 08:33:32 AM
I'd rather have Cyrus at RB than Odoi.
When Odoi played there,he kept showing the attacker on the ball inside instead of down the line.
And what happened, ball in back of net most times.

Transfermarkt says we could sell Christie for £3m and Sporting Lisbon is interested. But, I'd prefer to keep Christie than give TK £3m to replace our Right Back. I doubt many DoFs could replace Christie for £3m and definitely not our DoF.

One player is always going to be the worst in the XI that doesn't mean we should slag him off. Clearly, a lot of players played better football elsewhere in 17/18 (eg Fabri) than at Fulham in 18/19. No amount of owners investment or improved recruitment will result in success unless some players play there best football here.