watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Right sided centre back

Started by Finnans Right Peg, July 19, 2019, 11:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnans Right Peg

As a retired semi professional footballer who played in defence i had no problem playing right or left sided  so I just can not understand why we cant play mawson rcb and ream lcb surely with the coaching these lads get it can be done .

Andy S

Totally agree it is about the understanding between the pair that is important

jarv

100 per cent agree, as a retired not quite semi pro. (many years ago) I could play right back, left back or sweeper. (I am only 5 ' 7" so I had to play behind a big guy).

AnOldBrownie

Only if Ream plays LCB. MLM shouldnt be the first team option.

I also worry that when Christie makes attacking runs on the left its going to leave the right side too open for a counter when the back line plays high. Mawson is too slow.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on July 19, 2019, 11:14:11 PM
As a retired semi professional footballer who played in defence i had no problem playing right or left sided  so I just can not understand why we cant play mawson rcb and ream lcb surely with the coaching these lads get it can be done .

I dont agree with that mate, I didnt play to your standard but played centre half & much preferred to play on the left & I was right footed. Didnt feel right if I played on the other side.
I've also played with a lot of very good players who were well known in non league circles & probably the best one was a centre half who preferred to play on the right side despite being left footed

The Rational Fan

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 20, 2019, 04:42:09 AM

I dont agree with that mate, I didnt play to your standard but played centre half & much preferred to play on the left & I was right footed. Didnt feel right if I played on the other side.
I've also played with a lot of very good players who were well known in non league circles & probably the best one was a centre half who preferred to play on the right side despite being left footed

Left Footed MLM played his best football last season at "Right Centre Back", he played 270 minutes at RCB resulting in three clean sheets (Everton, Bournemouth and Cardiff). Mawson also cannot be too bad in training at "Right Centre Back" otherwise why did Slavisa play him their against Watford with Right Footed Chambers at LCB.

Left Footed MLM @ RCB and Righ Footed Mawson @ LCB would make a good centre back pairing, with the Ream and Odoi as the successful backup pairing. We could have the best centre back pairing in the league.

Although fitness questions marks over Mawson and Ream means a extra defender would be a good addition, plus it is risky to have MLM and Odoi as our two RCB, when they our also our backup full-backs too. But an extra backup defander can be bought on deadline day just before the 2nd Game.

hovewhite

That Watford game both Chambers & Mawson were subbed if memory serves me right as that first half they looked like they never played before.

Finnans Right Peg

Hi hillingdon fc

Totally  understand your point but i just feel that professional footballers  who have the best coaches and train 4 or 5 times a week should be able to play in a couple of positions .

Also not having a pop at scott but i think he should have played mawson right side in our friendlies

BernieBoy

Let's be honest guys, a professional footballer on the money they get paid should be comfortable with a ball on either foot and it shouldn't matter where they play in a central position, I get wide is different. I've played semi pro and my grandad made me use both feet from an early age, you can't tell me guys who train nearly every day with top coaches can't use both feet and play either right or left side.

MJG

Quote from: BernieBoy on July 20, 2019, 09:08:42 AM
Let's be honest guys, a professional footballer on the money they get paid should be comfortable with a ball on either foot and it shouldn't matter where they play in a central position, I get wide is different. I've played semi pro and my grandad made me use both feet from an early age, you can't tell me guys who train nearly every day with top coaches can't use both feet and play either right or left side.
the vast majority can't though can they? Yes they should be able to do all of that, but in truth how many are ok with both feet? You watch a game and one footed players get themselves in trouble when if they could only kick the ball with their other foot it would give them a different angle.

It's the way it is, they don't work hard enough to learn how to use both feet on a regular basis.

As for positioning, it is is different being a left or right sided and asked to swap. Angles are different. It's muscle memory and if your not used to it it throws you.
Classic example is goal Ipswich scored againt us on opening day a few years ago. Watch Hutchinson playing left side of CB when he's pkayed right side all his life. Body all over the place.

For the money they should all be adaptable, but it's not taught to vast majority of players from a young age. Your the fat kid, your in goal... Your the tall big lad it's either CB or forward and so on. Your position is pretty much set from ten years and upwards.
Just the views of a long term fan

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on July 20, 2019, 09:03:16 AM
Hi hillingdon fc

Totally  understand your point but i just feel that professional footballers  who have the best coaches and train 4 or 5 times a week should be able to play in a couple of positions .

Also not having a pop at scott but i think he should have played mawson right side in our friendlies
Quote from: BernieBoy on July 20, 2019, 09:08:42 AM

Its nothing to do with being two footed, Mawson kicks very well with both feet its more about the positions you get in when defending. Again I only played in a moderate standard but if a striker was running at me I always tried show him the inside so I could tackle with my right foot, found that harder to do playing on the right of a central two.
At the end of the day they're professionals so can play both sides but even the best probably favoured one side over another

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 20, 2019, 04:49:59 AM

Left Footed MLM played his best football last season at "Right Centre Back", he played 270 minutes at RCB resulting in three clean sheets (Everton, Bournemouth and Cardiff). Mawson also cannot be too bad in training at "Right Centre Back" otherwise why did Slavisa play him their against Watford with Right Footed Chambers at LCB.

Left Footed MLM @ RCB and Righ Footed Mawson @ LCB would make a good centre back pairing, with the Ream and Odoi as the successful backup pairing. We could have the best centre back pairing in the league.

Although fitness questions marks over Mawson and Ream means a extra defender would be a good addition, plus it is risky to have MLM and Odoi as our two RCB, when they our also our backup full-backs too. But an extra backup defander can be bought on deadline day just before the 2nd Game.
anyone who wants to rely on MLM as our right sided CB for anything more than five or so games is going to be disappointed if they want promotion.
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on July 20, 2019, 09:30:51 AM

anyone who wants to rely on MLM as our right sided CB for anything more than five or so games is going to be disappointed if they want promotion.

I have to agree with you there, unfortunately MLM is not the answer.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

S.F.Sorrow

The only player we've got who looks comfortable at RCB is Odoi and that's just because he's been forced to play there for the last 2 seasons. He has performed admirably under the circumstances but he's not a CB. He's a 178cm RB who should never have been more than a short term emergency solution at CB.

Don't get me wrong, Odoi is one of my favourite players. He's always gives 100% and could probably do a decent job in any position except GK. But he is not a natural CB.

If we have any ambitions about promotion we really need a solid RCB.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: hovewhite on July 20, 2019, 09:01:27 AM
That Watford game both Chambers & Mawson were subbed if memory serves me right as that first half they looked like they never played before.

Mawson was replaced at half time. Very poor performance. But I haven't been impressed with him at LCB either to be honest. He's been disappointing so far IMO. We've turned into the CBs graveyard.

bobby01

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 20, 2019, 09:55:45 AM
The only player we've got who looks comfortable at RCB is Odoi and that's just because he's been forced to play there for the last 2 seasons. He has performed admirably under the circumstances but he's not a CB. He's a 178cm RB who should never have been more than a short term emergency solution at CB.

Don't get me wrong, Odoi is one of my favourite players. He's always gives 100% and could probably do a decent job in any position except GK. But he is not a natural CB.

If we have any ambitions about promotion we really need a solid RCB.

TBH despite his height the boy can really jump. One of the best headers of a ball we have
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

filham

Oh dear what a problem centre back has been since Hughes and Hangeland left us. Ream looked good in our last Championship season so perhaps so Mawson and Ream could do the job this season, we will not know until we try but Parker should make full use of the Brighton game today to decide.

We bought Sigurdssen and Stearman as good centre backs but they both failed, we don't want another mistake like either of those, maybe we should go and take another look at Dan Burn, I always liked him and he may have matured by now.

S.F.Sorrow

Our problem is that we need ball playing CBs. Players like Stearman or Hutchinson won't work for us even if they can do an excellent job for other Championship clubs. Even players like Dunk or Flint would probably struggle with our style of passing out from the back. Of course finding a top quality ball playing CB at a Championship budget is more or less impossible so we will always end up with a compromise. Players like Ream and Odoi who are a perfect fit for our style of football but not really the physical presence we need at the back.

Mawson looked like an excellent signing but he hasn't impressed me so far.

filham

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 20, 2019, 02:18:05 PM
Our problem is that we need ball playing CBs. Players like Stearman or Hutchinson won't work for us even if they can do an excellent job for other Championship clubs. Even players like Dunk or Flint would probably struggle with our style of passing out from the back. Of course finding a top quality ball playing CB at a Championship budget is more or less impossible so we will always end up with a compromise. Players like Ream and Odoi who are a perfect fit for our style of football but not really the physical presence we need at the back.

Mawson looked like an excellent signing but he hasn't impressed me so far.
In the old days teams had some success converting old centre forwards to centre halves, Roy Bently an ex England centre forward discarded by Chelsea served us well as a centre half.  Peter Crouch has just retired perhaps we should bring him back as a centre back for a season.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 20, 2019, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: MJG on July 20, 2019, 09:30:51 AM

I have to agree with you there, unfortunately MLM is not the answer.

He's not horrible but his passing isn't good enough for our style of football IMO. We lose possession in dangerous areas far too often because of MLMs mistakes. And let's face it, we only got him as part of the Seri deal (probably intended as a backup LB).

But then again, we got promoted with Ream at CB which I would NEVER have imagined as even remotely possible, lol!