more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham stats and stuff 2019-20

Started by MJG, July 21, 2019, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

There is such a thing as having too much possession,,,,,
Does this show that teams who soak us up and defend and break do better against us, or are we wasteful in the use of it?
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

No team in last 6 years has finished in top 2 winning less than 26 games.
We just need to win 20 of the next 31 and draw a few then.

To put that into context, in the promotion season in the last 31 games Slav did this.......Can lightning strike twice?

SuffolkWhite

I cant see it MJG, that season was a one off I think, we have 5 points from the last 5 games and there are teams below us that are gaining on us all the time. Top 6 maybe but things have to change.

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

Interesting stats, MJG, and the questions you ask are left hanging in the air.  My personal view is that a good coach should expect every phase of possession to produce a goal chance, since even at 50:50 or below you still give yourself a chance to win - as our opponents in those high percentage losses will tell us.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: toshes mate on November 03, 2019, 11:17:58 AM
Interesting stats, MJG, and the questions you ask are left hanging in the air.  My personal view is that a good coach should expect every phase of possession to produce a goal chance, since even at 50:50 or below you still give yourself a chance to win - as our opponents in those high percentage losses will tell us.

Spot On! The philosophy of ROUTE ONE football is to create a chance every time a player kicks the ball, assuming that creating chances with little consideration to the quality of those chances wins games. Hence, surely the object of possession football is to hold on to the ball and create high quality chances that have an extremely high probability of going in.

MJG

MJG

How the top 6 has looked at 15 games for last 6 years compared to this.

MJG

Using the preseason Target information at 23 games we should be at the following:

6th 38 Pts
2nd 45 Pts

To reach them now over next 8 games we need to do the following:

5 wins in next 8 for 6th Place

7 wins and a draw to be 2nd.

MJG

@ 15 games in previous Championship sesons

MJG

Kit Symons was sacked on the 8th Nov 2015 after a 5-2 defeat at home to Birmingham
It was our 16th game of the season

We were 12th on 20 points

In his last 8 games Kit got 9 pts (2-3-3)

In Parkers last 7 games he has got  11pts (3-2-2)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on November 07, 2019, 07:24:03 AM
@ 15 games in previous Championship sesons

Statistics say we start poorly every year. If we keep more of last season team each year (less cleaning out of so called deadwood), surely we can start our seasons better.

Many people say, even TK implied it, the best bargains on deadline day and highest prices are in the winter transfer window. So, why not buy for the winter on summer deadline day, but play last years squad until the international breaks and sell surplus players in Winter.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2019, 07:29:55 AM

There is such a thing as having too much possession,,,,,
Does this show that teams who soak us up and defend and break do better against us, or are we wasteful in the use of it?

Scott Parker needs to read this - it may save his job if he changes things up. 100% shows when we overplay too many sideways & backwards slow passes things generally don't go well. We need to move the ball quicker, more movement off the ball, quicker transitions, more chances taken, the odd ball over the top into space.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 07, 2019, 07:43:48 AM

Many people say, even TK implied it, the best bargains on deadline day and highest prices are in the winter transfer window. So, why not buy for the winter on summer deadline day, but play last years squad until the international breaks and sell surplus players in Winter.

Players are people, not numbers. Buying players with no intention of playing them for half a season would ruin morale and leave us with a squad with no match fitness in January.

toshes mate

It would seem only twice since 2013-14 has 19 wins been enough to obtain a Championship play off position.  This season the table is really congested down to 17th position and so we should be expecting sixth place to have won at least twenty one games or better over the whole season or risk missing out.   It is doable but the task of reaching top two is going to require a major shift in team work ethic, IMO, coaches included.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on November 07, 2019, 12:31:42 PM
It would seem only twice since 2013-14 has 19 wins been enough to obtain a Championship play off position.  This season the table is really congested down to 17th position and so we should be expecting sixth place to have won at least twenty one games or better over the whole season or risk missing out.   It is doable but the task of reaching top two is going to require a major shift in team work ethic, IMO, coaches included.

if you said here is 76 points do you take it or not right now, I'm not sure it will be enough, it should be but not 100% sure.

MJG

MJG

Quote from: MJG on September 23, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
My predicted table at game 16 means we would need 16 points over next 8 games to be 6th and at the international break, where I suspect Parker has a target of being at least 3 points within 6th place at the absolute worst.
My Pre season par score for the 16th game would have been 26 points.
My ongoing par score as it stands today position wise would be 27 points based on who we have played and coming up.

At game 8 I predicted the table at 16 and fairly happy with how close I was, if i'm +/- 1 pt im happy with that.

*played 15 games

MJG

-Target for 6th now 77pts

-Target for 2nd now 90pts

To reach 2nd we need to play like the champions and a bit better.

-Gap and form need to improve...to be 2nd we need 13pts every 6 games

MJG

How far are we really behind 2nd place?

It shows 5pts, a couple of wins you say.

In fact it would take us 5 maybe 6 wins in a row to be 2nd.

Statto

Interesting how the spread among between the top 8 was even narrower last year than it is now, which does undermine the argument some have made that it matters less if we fall behind this year.

If we'd lost yesterday, I'd say that would have put an end to any realistic top 2 aspirations. As it is, I still think our chances are hanging by a thread for the reasons you say MJG.

Lots of six-pointers in the next 7 games. Surely this spell will be determinative of how our season turns out.