watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham stats and stuff 2019-20

Started by MJG, July 21, 2019, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffc73

Yet it does not feel like the 2nd best start in 19 to me MJG.  Maybe my expectations for this group of players is too high. 

6th on goal difference.  Then I see we have only played one of the top 10.  Looking forward to seeing how this stats show our progress during the campaign

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on September 09, 2019, 02:03:06 PM
Based on current positions

We should be happy that Stoke and Huddersfield are probably out of the automatic promotion race already.

MJG

Final table prediction

Gaps to 6th and 2nd plus form

Year on year table

MJG

Just behind where we need to be based on pre season predictions of how good each team would be.

Based on where teams stand today we should have 12.8 points. so just below par.

MJG

Statto

Quote from: MJG on September 22, 2019, 04:15:11 PM
Just behind where we need to be based on pre season predictions of how good each team would be.

Could you explain this? Seems interesting but I've no idea what it means

MJG

Quote from: Statto on September 22, 2019, 08:49:01 PM
Quote from: MJG on September 22, 2019, 04:15:11 PM

Could you explain this? Seems interesting but I've no idea what it means
it's something I'm working on for this season.
Taking we need a minnimum of say 75 points over the season how should a team get them?
We'll you will usually get more points againt the bottom teams and less against the top teams as you move up the table.
So I've worked it out something ike this...
The five teams in the top six(us being one of them) you need to get 12 points from ten games.... 1.2 points per game
The next six teams maybe we should get say 20 points from 12 games 1.6 points per game
Bottom 12 teams need 43 points at 1.8 points per game.
Taking all that into account and looking at the betting for teams and listing them 1-24 if you look at our first eight fixtures, put the points per game against those teams you get... 12.6 points.

Now 75 might not be enough, and I'm sure the ppg against positions is out... But just a way of weighting the fixtures.

4 games againt top six teams would mean 4.8 points... 5 then
4 games againt bottom half teams... 7.2 points. 7 or 8 needed.

From those eight games if we hit 12/13 points... We would be on par for 6th.

MJG

I have that table also based on second place and also real time positions of teams as they stand now.

Statto

OK that makes sense, thanks. Interesting.

I've also inferred from that 5 out of the 8 teams we've played so far we're expected to finish in the top half in pre-season betting. Is that right? If so that's a much better indicator IMO of the toughness of our fixtures than the actual positions teams were in when we played them. Torpedoes dfe argument from some on here that we've had relatively "easy" fixtures so far.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on September 22, 2019, 10:16:50 PM

I've also inferred from that 5 out of the 8 teams we've played so far we're expected to finish in the top half in pre-season betting. Is that right? If so that's a much better indicator IMO of the toughness of our fixtures than the actual positions teams were in when we played them. Torpedoes dfe argument from some on here that we've had relatively "easy" fixtures so far.

We have easy teams coming up Wigan, Reading, Charlton, Stoke and Luton.

MJG

if you look further down the thread there is a table and it says pre season rank and that's how the teams were listed in the betting pre season.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 22, 2019, 10:55:10 PM

No such thing as an easy team, I would like to think they are easy, but nothing is given on a plate, and we are a big scalp for these so called easy teams we happen to find hard to beat, Take the Barnsley game, I bet you never thought we would lose that one, and I bet you would not bet your house on us winning all six games you called easy. So there you are, and I can see you are already changing your mind, after reading my words of wisdom.
Of course we could win all six nothing is impossible, but never expect to as you will be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if Fulham failed to produce.
Instead just think of Wigan, nothing else matters. Then when we have completed that fixture move on to the next match, not the one after which is Reading, just the Wigan game.
Never presume we can beat a team that may be below us, or may be struggling. All you have to think about is that (1) they are called Wigan, (2) they are from Wigan, (3) there are 11 of them.
Simple when you think about it, but don't think too long, no need to dissect the ins or to dissect the outs.
It's a simple game with the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opposition.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2019, 11:23:51 PM

No such thing as an easy team, I would like to think they are easy, but nothing is given on a plate, and we are a big scalp for these so called easy teams we happen to find hard to beat, Take the Barnsley game, I bet you never thought we would lose that one, and I bet you would not bet your house on us winning all six games you called easy. So there you are, and I can see you are already changing your mind, after reading my words of wisdom.
Of course we could win all six nothing is impossible, but never expect to as you will be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment if Fulham failed to produce.
Instead just think of Wigan, nothing else matters. Then when we have completed that fixture move on to the next match, not the one after which is Reading, just the Wigan game.
Never presume we can beat a team that may be below us, or may be struggling. All you have to think about is that (1) they are called Wigan, (2) they are from Wigan, (3) there are 11 of them.
Simple when you think about it, but don't think too long, no need to dissect the ins or to dissect the outs.
It's a simple game with the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opposition.

If we cannot beat "Wigan, Charlton and Luton" at home, then we will have to be beating "Swansea and Leeds" away. No easy games is a bit of a cliche, because some games are clearly harder. The next ten games are much easier than the December games, which will be a tough tough games.

MJG

MJG

My predicted table at game 16 means we would need 16 points over next 8 games to be 6th and at the international break, where I suspect Parker has a target of being at least 3 points within 6th place at the absolute worst.
My Pre season par score for the 16th game would have been 26 points.
My ongoing par score as it stands today position wise would be 27 points based on who we have played and coming up.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 23, 2019, 07:37:33 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 22, 2019, 11:23:51 PM

If we cannot beat "Wigan, Charlton and Luton" at home, then we will have to be beating "Swansea and Leeds" away. No easy games is a bit of a cliche, because some games are clearly harder. The next ten games are much easier than the December games, which will be a tough tough games.

I understand your train of thought, but I have to take you to task on certain points, as nothing is as simple as that. We could struggle to beat Wigan 1 0 at home, but win away to Swansea 3 0. It's all on the day, a Goalkeeper having an outstanding game with saves bordering on the miraculous, or a fluke goal, a worldly goal, a nightmare mistake by a player or even a referee, an injury on the day, a sending off. All these things contribute to what might or can happen on any given match day. That's the reality that a manager cannot foresee.
That is why it's one game at a time, whereas you are already looking at who we play around Christmas and forecasting possible results. Just worry or not worry about the next match, and respect every opponent, but make sure they respect you.
As the great Henry Cooper use to say, " I respect every opponent that climbs into the ring, as that alone takes courage.
Never take anything for granted, Wimbledon v Liverpool in the FA Cup Final, and Sunderland v Leeds in the same competition and that great Jimmy Montgomery double save. Not forgetting Wigan v Man City in the League Cup Final. Stats and previous form and reputations did not win those games, players did, Characters, Warriors, Fighters and Leaders and hearts the size of footballs won those games, with a little bit of effort and a few drops of sweat. Reputations and history count for nothing on the day.
When you have eaten dirt on a freezing cold January Sunday morning somewhere around Gravesend, when a huge hairy uncompromising centre back has fouled you for the umpteenth time during the game, and the referee waves play on, and as you pick yourself up, the same centre back whispers in your shell like ear, " I could make you look good but I ain't gonna, there is more pain to come ".
That Rational Fan is the reality of the completion like a Gladiator in the Coliseum. It's not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 21, 2019, 03:49:15 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 21, 2019, 03:40:14 PM
How many poiints needed at 10 & 15 games.

10 Wins Required in First 15 Games
1. Barnsley (a)
2. Blackburn (h)
3. Milwall (h) - Game 4
4. Nottingham (h)
5. Shef. Wed (a)
6. Wigan (h)
7. Reading (a) - Game 10
8. Charlton (h)
9. Luton (h)
10. Hull (h) - Game 15

So far 2 out of 5
and we beat Huddersfield, why did you not forecast that TRF.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 23, 2019, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 21, 2019, 03:49:15 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 21, 2019, 03:40:14 PM
How many poiints needed at 10 & 15 games.

10 Wins Required in First 15 Games
1. Barnsley (a)
2. Blackburn (h)
3. Milwall (h) - Game 4
4. Nottingham (h)
5. Shef. Wed (a)
6. Wigan (h)
7. Reading (a) - Game 10
8. Charlton (h)
9. Luton (h)
10. Hull (h) - Game 15

So far 2 out of 5
and we beat Huddersfield, why did you not forecast that TRF.

Well, lets hope I'm right about the next three games, but i'll be honest im not forecasting well so far.