https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham stats and stuff 2019-20

Started by MJG, July 21, 2019, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 05, 2020, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 05, 2020, 08:51:46 AM
Put simply we need to pretty much fall to 8/9 points every six games to fail to make playoffs.
To make 2nd we need to be the best team over next 16 games, do that and we make it.

Being the best team over next 16 games is not easy, as we have the hardest draw apart from Derby.
I never said it would be, nothing is easy in this league even if some think its a weaker one.
Its only possibly deemed weaker because one team is not running away with things.
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on February 05, 2020, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 05, 2020, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 05, 2020, 08:51:46 AM
Put simply we need to pretty much fall to 8/9 points every six games to fail to make playoffs.
To make 2nd we need to be the best team over next 16 games, do that and we make it.

Being the best team over next 16 games is not easy, as we have the hardest draw apart from Derby.
I never said it would be, nothing is easy in this league even if some think its a weaker one.
Its only possibly deemed weaker because one team is not running away with things.

If the Championship is a weak league because no one is running away with things, then same logic says the Scottish Premier League must be very strong and the English Premier League is the strongest it has ever been.

bill taylors apprentice

These stats are fascinating and I'm reluctant to say this and tempt fate but.........
I'm not bothered about playing the better teams in the rest of the season as I know we can match them or surpass them for performance.

Its not often I've been able to say this over 55 years of supporting but if we perform as we can, what the opposition do is not the main issue.

Jim©

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on February 05, 2020, 12:38:16 PM
These stats are fascinating and I'm reluctant to say this and tempt fate but.........
I'm not bothered about playing the better teams in the rest of the season as I know we can match them or surpass them for performance.

Its not often I've been able to say this over 55 years of supporting but if we perform as we can, what the opposition do is not the main issue.

Would agree with that completely- we have done OK against the better teams this season bar Brentford. Leeds won, West Brom we taught them a lesson for 65 mins, Forest nicked two goals and even though we battered them, we couldn't get the result.
As you say, this division is tight, so we see results like Wigan winning at Leeds, Barnsley beating Fulham, Boro winning at West Brom. When many of us said that we preferred the Championship after getting hammered each week in the prem, it sounded like sour grapes. But I do, it's a tough, competitive and entertaining division to be in.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jim© on February 05, 2020, 01:29:30 PM

Would agree with that completely- we have done OK against the better teams this season bar Brentford. Leeds won, West Brom we taught them a lesson for 65 mins, Forest nicked two goals and even though we battered them, we couldn't get the result.
As you say, this division is tight, so we see results like Wigan winning at Leeds, Barnsley beating Fulham, Boro winning at West Brom. When many of us said that we preferred the Championship after getting hammered each week in the prem, it sounded like sour grapes. But I do, it's a tough, competitive and entertaining division to be in.

I wouldn't expect to be picking up 10 points from the 5 games against WBA, Leeds, Brentford, Forest and Bristol, so unless we get a run of a few wins now it will be hard to pick up 32 points in the remaining 16 games .

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on February 02, 2020, 09:02:14 AM
I was asked to do a points per game for the starters...
[/url]

With Rodak in goal and a proper DM starting (either Reed or KMac)
12 games, 8 wins, 3 draws (Middlesbrough, Luton, Charlton), 1 losses (Reading), 18 scored and 11 conceded, 7 goal difference with 27 points @ 2.3 pts/game

Otherwise with Betts or with no traditional DM (either Reed or KMac)
18 games, 7 wins, 4 draws, 7 losses, 27 scored and 21 conceded, 6 goal difference with 25 points @ 1.4 pts/game

Also note, the games we dropped points with Rodak and DM starting were Middlesbrough and Reading where we lost them after 20 minutes. Luton where our back four passing out from the back conceded three goals and Charlton where the front five didn't deliver a goal.

MJG

The largest gap we had to second place was 12 points at the end of game 22.

In 9 games we have been able to close that to zero before last night, can we overtake it tonight to cap a great run in last ten games?

MJG

Our form is good, but its not slav style yet

[/url]

Abbotsbury White

Bloody hope so MJG, there have been a couple of times this season when we had a chance make a statement and we've blown it, lets hope with our improved defence that is not the case tonight , if Reading do us a favour and we do the business V Millwall not only would we be clear in 2nd but only 1 behind top. all this from a team that I believe hasn't completely clicked.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

MJG

Quote from: Mo on February 12, 2020, 07:33:44 AM
Bloody hope so MJG, there have been a couple of times this season when we had a chance make a statement and we've blown it, lets hope with our improved defence that is not the case tonight , if Reading do us a favour and we do the business V Millwall not only would we be clear in 2nd but only 1 behind top. all this from a team that I believe hasn't completely clicked.
1st place has only moved 10 points in 9 games, which if it was a team would be relegation form.

MJG

Typical Fulham stat for you:
PPG based on where the opposition were in the table when we played them:

Top Half: 14 games 1.9 pts per game

Bottom Half: 17 games 1.6 Pts per game

ALG01

Quote from: MJG on February 12, 2020, 08:02:44 AM

wow, that is interesting. I feel sure there must be a lesson there.

Statto

Demonstrates how misguided it is for some posters to be so pessimistic about our *ostensibly* difficult run in

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2020, 01:30:46 PM

Demonstrates how misguided it is for some posters to be so pessimistic about our *ostensibly* difficult run in

I don't think a statistic that shows we lost to Hull and Forest when they were in bottom half of the table proves we struggle against weaker teams; and yet beat Hull and Milwall when they were in top half of the table proves that we are good against good team. Forest were a good team when we played them even if their position at the time was low in the table. Teams high in the table low are all good and can play well.

The statistic that matters is we play seven teams above Blackburn remaining in the second round for automatic promotion we need around 12-14 points in these 7 games and in first round we got 7 games, 1 win, 2 draws, 4 loses, 7 goals, 10 conceded and 5 points. We did keep three clean sheets last season against good teams and with Hector think we may ok defensively but we will concede goals so need to score.

I think the unavoidable conclusion is we must improve or we will be in championship next season. Improving requires our defense to be keeping clean sheets against teams better than Blackburn something we haven't done this season and be scoring more goals too.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 13, 2020, 06:34:03 AM
I think the unavoidable conclusion is we must improve or we will be in championship next season.

Modify that to "we must improve or we are likely to finish outside the top two" and you have my agreement. Even if we don't improve, we'll still be where we are now, either scraping into the automatics (if it's one of those rare seasons where the threshold is only just above 80 pts) or in the play-offs (probably in 3rd, ie as the highest place team).

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on February 13, 2020, 07:57:10 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 13, 2020, 06:34:03 AM
I think the unavoidable conclusion is we must improve or we will be in championship next season.

Modify that to "we must improve or we are likely to finish outside the top two" and you have my agreement. Even if we don't improve, we'll still be where we are now, either scraping into the automatics (if it's one of those rare seasons where the threshold is only just above 80 pts) or in the play-offs (probably in 3rd, ie as the highest place team).

Well, I agree unless we improve that the 74-81 points range is where we are heading. I think WBA and one other team will find their way to get mid 80s points. People think Leeds wheels have fallen off but GK and finishing are the only problems they need to fix to win every game. I think we will make the playoffs but if we playing like today someone in the playoffs WBA, Leeds, Brentford or Cardiff will find their form and beat us, unless we improve in the playoffs and win.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 05, 2020, 10:18:18 PM
Quote from: Jim© on February 05, 2020, 01:29:30 PM

I wouldn't expect to be picking up 10 points from the 5 games against WBA, Leeds, Brentford, Forest and Bristol, so unless we get a run of a few wins now it will be hard to pick up 32 points in the remaining 16 games .

The ironic thing is, that I would expect to pick up a minimum of ten points from those matches, as Fulham will be aware that all of these are six pointers and if they want to go up, they have to play better, and we tend to against decent teams.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Top 6 at 32 games over last ten years:

Lowest points for 2nd place at this stage

Only once lower than 56 for 3rd place.

An easier league in some peoples eyes yet 6th place, only twice has the points total been higher in last 10 years.

Easier to get to 2nd but still tough to make playoffs.

MJG

Championship Table at game 33
-74 Pts target for 6th
-85 Pts target for 2nd
-FFC Form required for both
-Gaps to 2nd and 6th and form over last 6 games
-Year on Year Table (Villa made the playoffs with 32 points in those last 13 games)

The Rational Fan

It's time to admit we're aren't going to get promoted without improving our football. While Fulham got some good results by gritting out games 1-0. You cannot do that every game, we need to win 5 games easily, then grit out another 5 games by a goal. It's important to be able fight for victories where you weren't the better teams but you won, but they should be the exception cause you cannot do that three times a week.

We have the players to get 26 goals by the end of the season, if we do that i think we will go up. Parker needs to improve our attack and hope the defense doesn't have too many bad games. Score twice and we win every game that we don't conceed twice and draw every we don't concede three.