https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Villa 'doing a Fulham' or not?

Started by southwest6, July 25, 2019, 04:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 25, 2019, 04:38:19 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 25, 2019, 04:37:02 PM
Villa have organised and prepared them selves far quicker than we did. Plus they have brought in better characters who will play within the framework of the team. They have made wiser signings earlier who should settle far more rapidly. So I think they will do better than we did, and they should stay up.

I mean, they'll do better than we did but that's not hard.....I think they could potentially stay up but will stick my neck out and say they'll stay down.
Villa are a big club with a large fan base I think they will stay up this season and could in a few seasons time be on ready to replace any of the top six that is faltering.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: filham on July 25, 2019, 07:04:27 PM
Villa have organised and prepared them selves far quicker than we did. Plus they have brought in better characters who will play within the framework of the team. They have made wiser signings earlier who should settle far more rapidly. So I think they will do better than we did, and they should stay up.

I mean, they'll do better than we did but that's not hard.....I think they could potentially stay up but will stick my neck out and say they'll stay down.
Villa are a big club with a large fan base I think they will stay up this season and could in a few seasons time be on ready to replace any of the top six that is faltering.

Villa doesn't have an owner who can compete with the top six yet. They also are poorly run unlike say Wolves.

rusty shackleford

I wish theyd stop signing players. 70% of search results for fulham are about villa

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 25, 2019, 07:31:52 PM

Villa doesn't have an owner who can compete with the top six yet. They also are poorly run unlike say Wolves.
Wolves are not well run. When Mendes or their owner loses interest, they'll go the same way as QPR, Portsmouth and Leeds. I can see Villa outperforming them over the long term, eg next 5 years.

Fernhurst

Watched the highlights of their friendly last night. Looked much smoother than we did at the same stage last season.
17th will be their target, however, think they may do a little better.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on July 25, 2019, 07:44:14 PM

Wolves are not well run. When Mendes or their owner loses interest, they'll go the same way as QPR, Portsmouth and Leeds. I can see Villa outperforming them over the long term, eg next 5 years.

So they are well run now but will no longer be well run when the people running them well leave. Got it.

One Martin Thomas

They mean nothing to me and I hope they get relegated .... we'll only know the answer to this question come May 2020 !

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 25, 2019, 09:04:39 PM

So they are well run now but will no longer be well run when the people running them well leave. Got it.
Not what I said at all but nevermind
1500.gif

Bassey the warrior

Worth pointing out they've now spent more than we did. £120m.

Statto

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on July 25, 2019, 11:48:16 PM

Also worth pointing out that's gone on 10 players. We only got what, 7 permanent signings for our £100m? So we spent significantly more, something like 25% more, per player.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 26, 2019, 12:20:53 AM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on July 25, 2019, 11:48:16 PM

Also worth pointing out that's gone on 10 players. We only got what, 7 permanent signings for our £100m? So we spent significantly more, something like 25% more, per player.

Sam Allardyce said Fulham should have spent all £100m on upgrading just three positions with new players spending £30m each position. His logic being you need eight positions stable from last season. He obviously wasn't counting resigning old players Kalas, Targett, Norwood, Piazon and Mitro, but it would be interesting which three positions they would have been (obviously the RB was leaving so what other two).

This season the two positions i would have invested in would be RW and LW, plus a lot of 2nd XI players (a bit better than Odoi, Cisse, Kebano and Fonte). With winter transfer getting a RCB or RB.

peter w

we most certainly do. We have the 3rd richest owners in the league now and they have laid out their plans in earnest. https://the18.com/soccer-news/aston-villa-new-owners-net-worth

We will try and get through the season and then they will flex their muscles as much as possible to keep us going upwards.

Of course it won't be easy but this "doing a Fulham" is just lazy journalism and your situation and ours is not comparable. Why not say are we doing a Wolves? or a brighton before them? Or a Watford? Etc etc The point is we're following our own blueprint. We released around 12 players at the end of the season so they needed to be replaced. 3 of those are players already at the club - Mings, Hause, El Ghazi - so no risk involved there. We had only 1 centre-half (Chester) who battled through injury all season and Tuanzebe also going meant buying centre-halves was a priority. Engels and Konsa are the only 2 new buys out of that group and I guess Konsa is more with an eye on the future. Engels will start. (remembering that konsa has played under Smith previously so not a total unknown).

Other than that we've bought for positions that we have a need in, and as has been said we've bought early. I think another thing that has been crucial is that Purslow/Pitarch/Smith (don't need to look them up and I guess you know the last one) had a plan for players that they had identified whether we went up or stayed down. If anything we've borrowed enormously from the Brentford model which served them well as there appeared to be a more vigorous scouting (and coaching) in identifying suitable personalities/characters with the required ability. I fully trust them to have got the right players in that we need.

It could still go all wrong, obviously, and I don't know too much about your purchases and what happened to you last season but by all accounts you added players that disrupted rather than enhanced the qualities of what had previously been the best footballing team in the championship. we have not done that, we're buying out of necessity. we're not doing a Fulham we're doing an Aston Villa. If we get it wrong it will set us back enormously. If we get it right then with the financial muscle we have expect to see us challenge for the top 6 over the next few seasons.

peter w

Quote from: rusty shackleford on July 25, 2019, 07:34:16 PM
I wish theyd stop signing players. 70% of search results for fulham are about villa

I'm guessing 2 more. A keeper and another forward.

The Rational Fan

No one seems to mention the fact that less than 33% of the Fulham game time in the Premier League was contributed by players at the club before the 30th January 2018, which maybe some kind of record low percentage of game time played by players at the club for less than a year.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Statto on July 25, 2019, 11:10:09 PM

1500.gif

It is exactly what you said, but you just had no idea you said it. ;)

Statto

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 26, 2019, 10:37:10 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 25, 2019, 11:10:09 PM

1500.gif

It is exactly what you said, but you just had no idea you said it. ;)

Why is it only stupid people that are condescending?
I've always wondered that.

Anyway, back to the topic...
Perhaps another way to put it, Lyle, might be to ask, do you think Enron were "well run" until December 2001?

Statto

Quote from: peter w on July 26, 2019, 05:01:32 AM

we most certainly do. We have the 3rd richest owners in the league now and they have laid out their plans in earnest. https://the18.com/soccer-news/aston-villa-new-owners-net-worth

We will try and get through the season and then they will flex their muscles as much as possible to keep us going upwards.

Of course it won't be easy but this "doing a Fulham" is just lazy journalism and your situation and ours is not comparable. Why not say are we doing a Wolves? or a brighton before them? Or a Watford? Etc etc The point is we're following our own blueprint. We released around 12 players at the end of the season so they needed to be replaced. 3 of those are players already at the club - Mings, Hause, El Ghazi - so no risk involved there. We had only 1 centre-half (Chester) who battled through injury all season and Tuanzebe also going meant buying centre-halves was a priority. Engels and Konsa are the only 2 new buys out of that group and I guess Konsa is more with an eye on the future. Engels will start. (remembering that konsa has played under Smith previously so not a total unknown).

Other than that we've bought for positions that we have a need in, and as has been said we've bought early. I think another thing that has been crucial is that Purslow/Pitarch/Smith (don't need to look them up and I guess you know the last one) had a plan for players that they had identified whether we went up or stayed down. If anything we've borrowed enormously from the Brentford model which served them well as there appeared to be a more vigorous scouting (and coaching) in identifying suitable personalities/characters with the required ability. I fully trust them to have got the right players in that we need.

It could still go all wrong, obviously, and I don't know too much about your purchases and what happened to you last season but by all accounts you added players that disrupted rather than enhanced the qualities of what had previously been the best footballing team in the championship. we have not done that, we're buying out of necessity. we're not doing a Fulham we're doing an Aston Villa. If we get it wrong it will set us back enormously. If we get it right then with the financial muscle we have expect to see us challenge for the top 6 over the next few seasons.

What's better than challenging for the top 6 over the next few seasons?

Living somewhere other than Birmingham.

:drums: