watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 31/07/19...

Started by WhiteJC, July 31, 2019, 07:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Opening Three Games For Fulham Are Crucial But How Many Points Will We Amass?

The new season is almost upon us, it'll not be long before all thoughts of playing in the Premier League last season are eased aside as we concentrate, hopefully, on a Championship promotion campaign.

However, if Scott Parker is set to lead us back into the top-flight of English football, at the first attempt, then it is essential that we don't take anything for granted and that we get off to a good start.

Our season starts with a trip to South Yorkshire to take on Barnsley, a side that were promoted from League One last season.

It then continues with a visit from Blackburn Rovers, a club who have been trapped in the Championship for what seems like an eternity.

Our third game is probably the most difficult of the opening three when we return to Yorkshire to take on Huddersfield Town who, like us, suffered the heartache that is relegation last season.

Three interesting games but, and here is the crux of the article, how many points do you believe Fulham will amass from those vital first three games?

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-opening-three-games-for-fulham-are-crucial-but-how-many-points-will-we-amass/

WhiteJC

Clinical Championship Golden Boot race: 15 stars to keep an eye on in the 2019/20 season, including Leeds and Fulham strikers

As the final champagne bottle was popped at Wembley after Aston Villa's dramatic play-off final win over Derby County, the attention of fans across the country turned to the return of the Championship.

After what feels like an eternity, Luton Town and Middlesbrough will finally kick off the new EFL season on Friday.

After Norwich City, Sheffield United and Villa secured safe passage to the promised land of the Premier League, the scrap for promotion begins once again.

24 teams will slog it out over the course of nine months to earn their right to play in the top flight, with every club believing they stand a chance.

However, in order to get there, history and statistic suggest teams will need to have the top scorer in the division to do so.

Last season, Teemu Pikki scored 29 goals for Norwich as they ran away with the title, with Tammy Abraham notching 26 and Billy Sharp getting 23 for the Blades.

But who could win the Golden Boot this season? talkSPORT.com has picked out 15 potential candidates to finish as top scorer this season.

Scroll down to see the entire list, in no particular order.

Lewis Grabban – Nottingham Forest
Forest endured a tough season last time out, with Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill departing this summer after a ninth placed finish.

For Grabban, he still managed to score 16 goals and has shown he is clinical at this level. Provided Sabri Lamouchi can replace Sheffield United-bound Ben Osborn, the 31-year-old could thrive.

Callum Paterson – Cardiff City
The Scotland international struggled for goals in the Premier League last time around, but he managed to bag 10 in the Championship in the Bluebirds' promotion winning season.

Neil Warnock has just allowed Kenneth Zohore to join rivals West Browmich Albion, meaning even more responsibility will be entrusted to Paterson.

Lyle Taylor – Charlton Athletic
The 29-year-old from Greenwich helped get the Addicks out of League One in his debut season and will be desperate to show he can take his clinical form up to the Championship.

Taylor is  is AFC Wimbledon's record Football League goal scorer with 44 goals, and the Dons' highest scorer during their Football League era with 55 goals in all competitions – but he could well thrive for Lee Bowyer's men this time around.

Benik Afobe – Stoke City
The DR Congo international may not have enjoyed the success his early career promised, but a run of games and confidence will do Afobe the world of good.

The Potters may have struggled in their first season out of the Premier League since in a decade, but Nathan Jones will surely be entrusting the 26-year-old with firing Stoke back to the promised land.

Jack Marriott – Derby County
Despite being restricted to plenty of substitute appearances from the bench, Marriott managed to find the back of the net on 10 crucial occasions for the Rams.

Phillip Cocu is all too aware of how agonisingly close Derby have come to the Premier League in recent seasons and if he can get Marriott scoring on a regular basis, the Dutch boss could be the man to finally end their play-off nightmare.

Jarrod Bowen – Hull City
Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United have both been linked with moves for the 22-year-old forward, who was named in the Championship Team of the Season last time out.

He scored 22 goals in all competitions last season and, given his current trajectory, it would not be surprising if Bowen beats that record and moves on in the next 12 months.

Kenneth Zohore – West Bromwich Albion
The youngest player to play in the Danish Superliga at 16, Zohore is a real handful for defenders. His three seasons at Cardiff City in the Championship saw him net 23 times.

Slaven Bilic moved quickly to sign the 25-year-old as soon as he arrived at the Hawthorns, perhaps in the knowledge he can finally fulfil his early potential. Didier Drogba approached the former Copenhagen striker after a Champions League game about joining Chelsea – while he was still 17.

Kemar Roofe – Leeds United
The only reason Roofe may struggle to get bundles of goals this season is due to the incessant number of injuries he picks up. The 26-year-old is out for four weeks with an ankle injury, but still has time to catch the early season scoring contenders when he gets back.

Marcelo Bielsa stayed on for another season thankfully at Elland Road and the Argentine clearly sees tremendous potential in the former Oxford United striker.

Ollie McBurnie – Swansea City
Sheffield United are reportedly interested in the Swansea City striker, and it is clear to see why the Blades want to bring the 23-year-old to Bramall Lane.

The former Leeds United academy star scored 33 goals in the Championship last season and is a clinical poacher who can find the back of the net from anywhere.

Britt Assombalonga – Middlesbrough
Jonathon Woodgate will know all about playing about powerful strikers, with the new Boro boss all too aware of Assombalonga's talents as well.

The 26-year-old has suffered a career-threatening knee injury and come back stronger, meaning Championship defenders will need to be on their guard against the frontman

Patrick Bamford – Leeds United
Bamford is in danger of falling into the category of players who are 'Too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Premier League'. Cameron Jerome and Anthony Knockeart are two such players.

The 25-year-old from Nottingham will be desperate to get Leeds into the Championship and show his doubters he is good enough for the top flight.

Karlan Grant – Huddersfield Town
When Grant moved from Charlton to Huddersfield in the January window, fans were surprised. The Terriers were seemingly on their way down and the Addicks were on the way up.

Now that this situation has actually transpired, Grant will be keen to prove the form he displayed in League One and briefly in the Premier League was not a fluke and his move to the John Smith's Stadium was justified.

Neal Maupay – Brentford
Last season, Maupay hit 25 goals in the Championship. But Brentford laboured to an 11th placed finish and the rumours of a move away have understandably intensified.

The 22-year-old is a France youth international and Aston Villa are keen on making a reunion with Dean Smith happen. If that happens, expect Maupay to bag even more goals.

Aleksandar Mitrovic – Fulham
Despite rumours of a move to the Chinese Super League brewing, Fulham somehow managed to sign the Serbia international to a new deal this summer.

With Tom Cairney and Anthony Knockaert providing for him, Mitrovic could run riot in the second tier – he scored 12 in 20 appearances to help the Whites reach the Premier League in 2017/18.

Bradley Dack – Blackburn Rovers
In a way not too dissimilar to Jack Marriott, Dack has risen from lower league football to become a prominent marksman. He scored 15 goals in his debut Championship season and looked like a natural.

The 25-year-old has plenty of time to develop his game and, as the main man at Edwood Park, do not be surprised to see him add to his tally from last season.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/577871/championship-golden-boot-race-top-scorer-2019-20-leeds-fulham/

WhiteJC

Liverpool transfer news: Fulham hope Harvey Elliott tribunal fee will top £10m

Fulham hope Liverpool will be ordered to pay a record tribunal fee of more than £10million for 16-year-old sensation Harvey Elliott.

Elliott signed for Liverpool after rejecting a scholarship at Fulham and his transfer fee is expected be decided by a tribunal after the two clubs failed to reach an agreement.

Fulham want a compensation package which includes an upfront payment and a percentage of any profit Liverpool make on the sale of the midfielder, who became the youngest ever Premier League player last season.

The record fee for a tribunal involved striker Danny Ings when he moved from Burnley to Liverpool in 2015. In that case, Liverpool were ordered to pay £6.5m plus £1.5m in add-ons plus 20 per cent of the profit they made on his £20m transfer to Southampton last year.

Fulham are pushing for compensation for Elliott, who made his Liverpool debut on Sunday, which would exceed that.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool/liverpool-transfer-news-fulham-hope-harvey-elliott-tribunal-fee-will-top-10m-a4201261.html

WhiteJC

U23 Report: Bournemouth 1-2 Fulham

Fulham Under-23s continued their unbeaten pre-season with a 2-1 win over Bournemouth on the South Coast.

Goals early in either half from Sonny Hilton and Timmy Abraham ensured they go into their final game against QPR without tasting defeat.

The blustery conditions and torrents of rain played its part from the get-go. Both teams struggled to move the ball with freedom.

However, the game was sparked into life by the direct approach of Hilton. He played a nice interchange with Nicolas Santos-Clase to open up the defence and give the Young Whites the lead.

Bournemouth came back swinging and could have levelled through a set-play, but a glancing header was diverted wide of Luca Ashby-Hammond's far post.

Cameron Thompson looked sharp on the beginning of his comeback from a lengthy injury and he burst through looking to add a second. A defender got back to cover superbly.

Timmy Abraham used his pace and power to fashion another Fulham opening but from a tight angle he could only fire into the gloves of the Bournemouth 'keeper.

Ashby-Hammond was called into action for the first time after 35 minutes. The hosts pressed high up the pitch ending with a curling effort which was smartly read by the stopper.

The 'keeper was then beaten shortly after a mistimed tackle in the area. Ashby-Hammond went to his left and got a strong hand on it without avail. Bournemouth had the bit between their teeth as they then struck the post from a free kick.

Fulham flew out of the traps much like they did in the first. Abraham made a nuisance of himself to win a spot kick of our own and he confidently dispatched his chance. The hosts attempted to hit back instantly and struck the crossbar.

Cody Drameh embarked on a trademark run to try and force the issue. His resulting shot after a 40-yard dash darted wide of the right-hand post. Thompson's liveliness deserved a goal and he was millimetres from getting it after his volley slammed the underside of the crossbar.

Toni Stahl came off the bench in the Fulham goal and was immediately in action to recall on his heroics from Saturday. A point-blank shot from six-yards he somehow tipped around the post.

Fulham held on to continue their unbeaten pre-season and it comes to an end against QPR on Friday.

Fulham: L. Ashby-Hammond (Stahl 71'), Drameh, Trialist A (Trialist C 61'), Tricker, Trialist B, Hilton, De Havilland (Davis 31'), Walters (Harris 54'), Thompson, Santos-Clase, Abraham.

Subs: Stahl, Asare, Mundle-Smith, Trialist C, Davis, Harris, Frei.

Bournemouth: Dennis, Seaman, Sherring, Cordner, Rossi, Zemura, Hunt, Dinsmore, Cope, Hamilton, Scrimshaw.

Subs: Plain, Camp, Hobson, Pardoe, Moriah-Welsh, Hanfrey.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/july/30/u23-report-bournemouth-1-2-fulham

WhiteJC

Bähre: "I've got goosebumps thinking about it."

Reds midfielder anticipating new campaign

After joining the Reds on a permanent deal this summer following a highly successful loan spell which ended in promotion from Sky Bet League One, influential midfielder Mike Bähre is living his childhood dream.

The 23-year-old put pen to paper on a three-year deal in May, which will see him play Championship football for the first time, as Barnsley gear up to face recently relegated Fulham at Oakwell on Saturday.

And, after watching the two teams square off in the same competition at Craven Cottage almost two years ago, it is sure to be even more of a special occasion for Bähre, as he can't wait to experience his first taste of Championship football.

"I still can't believe it!" he said, about the prospect of playing Fulham this weekend.

"I remember, I was 22 and wasn't fit to play, so whilst I was in London, I went to watch Fulham against Barnsley.

"I was really surprised at the atmosphere, and I remember thinking at the time; 'Wow! It would be a dream come true to play in the Championship.'

"Now, just one and a half years later, all my dreams have come true. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it and I'm super excited!"

The versatile midfielder missed Barnsley's final pre-season clash against Sheffield United last Saturday after picking up a knock during the club's training camp in his native Germany, but insists he will be raring to go ahead of the season opener at Oakwell this weekend.

He went on to say: "I'm feeling good. I twisted my knee a little bit in Germany, but it's better now, so I think I'll be back fit and firing ready for Fulham.

"I've been out for a week and I didn't want to risk it in the game against Sheffield United because it's more important that I'm ready for the start of the new season."

Whilst the team now prepare for the visit of Fulham, summer has provided the players with the chance to get vital minutes under their belts and regain key match fitness in both France and Germany, before a return to Oakwell rounded off proceedings.

And, with pre-season completed, Bähre believes the Reds' are in good shape ahead of the highly anticipated new campaign. 

"We've been back in training for a month now, everyone is feeling good and I feel as though we are all ready for the start of the season," continued the German. "It's the Championship and there aren't many leagues better, so we're we just need to go out there and enjoy it."

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/interview-mike-bahre/

WhiteJC

Harvey Elliott: Fulham to ask Liverpool for £9m in compensation for young midfielder

Fulham will argue that Liverpool should pay a record-breaking £9m in compensation for star teenager Harvey Elliott.

The 16-year old, who attracted interest from Barcelona, Real Madrid and RB Leipzig, moved to Anfield over the weekend after turning down a scholarship and running down his contract at Craven Cottage.

Fulham are owed a fee, due to be decided by the Professional Football Compensation Committee, for developing the player who became the Premier League's youngest debutant in Fulham's defeat to Wolves - aged 16 years and 30 days.

Elliott became Fulham's youngest player at the age of 15 years and 74 days in last season's Carabao Cup and it's understood the left-footed attacking midfielder was a fundamental part of manager Scott Parker's plans for the forthcoming campaign.

He made his first Liverpool appearance in a 3-0 friendly loss to Napoli on Sunday, coming in as a second-half substitute.

"I can say many positive things about the boy because we have signed him and he decided to join us when he could have gone pretty much anywhere," Klopp said after the game. "He wanted to be part of Liverpool because of his talent.

"Now that he is here, let's work with him. He needs game time, we have to see where he will get that. He is obviously a fine, fine footballer - that is the reason why we were really interested."

Liverpool hold the record for the highest fee ever paid in compensation, paying Burnley £8m for Danny Ings in 2015.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11773516/harvey-elliott-fulham-to-ask-liverpool-for-9m-in-compensation-for-young-midfielder

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

I was at the Cottage on Saturday for the West Ham game, and it was strange to see the ground as it was, with nobody in the Riverside Stand. It's exciting seeing the cranes at the back of the stand and all the work going on – it really is going to look spectacular when it's finished. It is a really exciting project and you have to credit the Chairman for his commitment to the cause; not just putting his money into the stand, but also managing to keep our best players.

Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrović being here this season is a big plus because they've already proven they're amongst the best in the Championship. Everyone in 2017/18 recognised that. They've proved they can get us up from the Championship, so go and do it again. Adding to that, we've also brought in more pedigree in Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert. Everyone knows about those two boys. In them we've got two different types of wingers. Knockaert likes to come in on off the right onto his left foot, and Cavaleiro has so much pace that he's always looking to get beyond his man.

Like Mitro and TC, they've both proven themselves in the Championship. Their presence in the team is very important as we know they can contribute goals, and that alleviates a bit of the pressure on Mitro's shoulders. You've got three people up top there who know where the back of the net is, and then there will be people like Tom and Stefan Johansen who are more than capable of chipping in, too.

West Ham put out an incredibly strong side on Saturday, including their striker who they just shelled out £45m on, and we coped well. I don't think either side reached their top gear, which is normal with friendly games, but we showed we can live with them.

We've got to be pushing for the top-two. We're starting as one of the favourites and teams will be wary of us because of the squad we've got. We might have to be patient sometimes, not force the issue if sides are being stubborn with us. I'd like to see us get more crosses into the box than we did last season for Mitro to feed off, and that's what the two new wide-boys will provide.

I'm not particularly frightened by the teams who came down with us. I think Huddersfield and Cardiff will be strong, but I can't see them being as good as us. In terms of promotion rivals, you're looking at teams like Leeds with their manager, if he can get a tune out of his team again. But I think some outsiders could be in with a shout this season. Look at Bristol City, Brentford even – they've gone well in the transfer market as even though they've sold some players, they've invested wisely, too. There are some good clubs in there. I think it will be really, really close, and – famous last words – I can't see anyone running away with it.

We kick-off against Barnsley on Saturday, and although not many people fancy them this season, it might not be a great time to play them. We're catching them fresh on the first game of the season after they've just been promoted, so it's going to be a difficult one because they'll be high on confidence. I don't fear anyone this season, though, with the players that we've got. I think if you asked any manager in the Championship which squad he'd like, it'd certainly be our one.

One familiar face in the Barnsley side is Cauley Woodrow, who was on fire last season. I was really surprised he didn't crack on with us after he came into the team as a kid. He didn't get the game time he wanted at Fulham, and let's hope he doesn't get his revenge on Saturday. He's a good lad, Cauley, someone I only heard positive things about, so I hope he does well at Barnsley – just not at the weekend!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/july/30/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Unexpected development could affect Sheffield United, Fulham and Stoke chances of signing Harry Arter

The Bournemouth midfielder has been linked with moves to Sheffield United, Fulham and Stoke City.

Any hopes Sheffield United, Fulham and Stoke City had of signing the Bournemouth midfielder, Harry Arter, this summer appear to have taken a hit.

The Sun reported on Monday that Sheffield United, Fulham and Stoke were pursuing a deal for the Republic of Ireland international, as Bournemouth closed on the signature of Philip Billing from Huddersfield Town.

And even though Billing has now completed a move to the Vitality Stadium, Arter's services may still be required.

That is after Bournemouth announced on Tuesday that they could be without another midfielder, Dan Gosling, for 'around three months' due to a hip muscle injury.

What that means for Arter - who the Sun also claimed Bournemouth would ideally sell for £8 million - remains to be seen.

But for Sheffield United, Fulham, Stoke and any other suitors, it would perhaps be wise to have a list of alternatives to hand.

Arter's brother-in-law, Scott Parker, is the current Fulham manager.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/07/30/unexpected-development-could-affect-sheffield-united-fulham-and/

WhiteJC

Fulham reportedly want record-breaking tribunal fee from Liverpool over Harvey Elliott

The Whites are apparently demanding over £10 million.

Recently-relegated Fulham are demanding a record tribunal fee from European champions Liverpool over young midfielder Harvey Elliott.

According to the Evening Standard, the Whites want a figure that includes an upfront payment and a percentage of any future sell-on fee for the teenage midfielder.

That is quoted at over £10 million, which would surpass the £8 million the Reds had to pay Burnley to get Danny Ings back in 2015.

The Reds apparently failed to agree a fee with Fulham during negotiations, which is why the dispute now looks set to go to a tribunal, where the amount the Cottagers will receive for Elliott will be decided.

With the premium on talented young English players, it makes sense that they can't be plucked from EFL clubs at no expense, and Liverpool have been down this road before with Ings.

Elliott looks set to be the next English prospect who could burst onto the scene and if he lives up to his early promise then even £10 million, and some kind of sell-on fee would represent excellent value.

But an eight-figure fee for a 16-year-old would represent a significant show of faith in the midfielder's talent, and Jurgen Klopp will likely hope that Elliott's Anfield spell is more successful than Ings' was, although they did manage to sell him on at a profit.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-reportedly-want-record-breaking-tribunal-fee-from-liverpool-over-harvey-elliott/

WhiteJC

Sir Bobby Robson Foundation has raised £13.5m

Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson's foundation has raised £13.5m and provided great comfort to his family, his widow Elsie has said on the 10th anniversary of his death.

He set up the cancer charity in 2008, a year before he died, and it continues to save lives by funding research.

Lady Robson said: "We've all missed him a great deal and still do. All the family, and his friends of course.

"I've found the foundation very helpful in that respect."

Sir Bobby, who had cancer on five occasions, intended to raise £500,000 to equip a cancer drug trials centre in Newcastle and that target was reached in just eight weeks.

"It was something Bob was very passionate about and it's given us all a focus," Lady Robson said.

"For myself especially, because I really do enjoy all the events and the people I meet through the charity.

"What stands out most to me after 10 years is that the love and respect people have for Bob doesn't seem to have diminished at all."

Lady Robson said Sir Bobby felt like he was managing a football team again when he set up the foundation.

She said: "Even though he was ill, he was determined to set up this charity and he was extremely proud of it.

"It's amazed me how much we've been able to do through the foundation.

"The support just hasn't let up and our medical trustees keep us moving forwards and make sure we're making the right decisions.

"I'm so grateful to everyone who has continued to fundraise for us and to help find better ways to detect and treat cancer.

"Bob would be absolutely amazed at everything we've done. He'd want us to keep at it."

Sir Bobby was approached by his oncologist Professor Ruth Plummer to help fundraise in 2008.

When he presented her with the £500,000 cheque, he said: "I've achieved many things during my career in football, won trophies, represented my country, received all kinds of wonderful awards and even been knighted but I'm as proud of this achievement as I am of any other in my life."

The foundation works with other charities and organisations and funds cancer treatment and patient care.

At its heart is the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care in the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

Sir Bobby opened the centre in 2009 and was one of the first patients, and it puts about 600 people a year through cancer trials, many of whom have no other options.

Patrons of the foundation include Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer, Sunderland hero Niall Quinn, ex-goalkeeper Steve Harper, Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson, Delia Smith and the former Ipswich Town and England captain Mick Mills.

Before his death at the age of 76, Sir Bobby played for and managed England, as well as managing clubs including Ipswich Town, PSV Eindhoven, Porto, Barcelona and Newcastle United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-49170456

WhiteJC

The factors that determine how much Liverpool will pay Fulham over Harvey Elliott transfer

Some of the biggest names in the game were circling around Harvey Elliott this summer - but will that affect how much Liverpool will pay?

Some of the biggest names in the game were circling around Harvey Elliott this summer.

The Fulham youngster was a man - or rather, a 16-year-old boy - in demand, with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and Real Madrid all reportedly keen to lure the teenager away from Craven Cottage.

However, boyhood Red Elliott opted to join Liverpool to become the Reds' second signing of the summer last week, before quickly making his debut in a 3-0 defeat to Napoli on Sunday night.

History-making Elliott became the youngest-ever player to feature in the Premier League towards the end of last season when he played for relegated Fulham against Wolves aged just 16 years and 30 days.

Elliot made his first-team debut at Millwall in a 3-1 win in the Carabao Cup back in September last year, becoming the Cottagers' youngest debutant in the process at just 15 years and 174 days.

In total, Elliott made three senior appearances at Craven Cottage before his contract expired and he agreed to move to Merseyside.

Fulham had hoped that the starlet would remain at the club to be fast-tracked into their first team following the signing of his maiden professional contract.

And the Londoners are now demanding a precedent be set from a tribunal surrounding the fee Liverpool will eventually pay them.

Fulham are believed to be looking for as much as £10million for the 16-year-old Elliott, feeling their work in developing him into one of the most sought-after teenagers in British football should be compensated adequately.

Liverpool, for their part, have been here before, having snared Danny Ings from Burnley in the summer of 2015 in similar circumstances to the deal that brought Elliott to Anfield.

Ings left Turf Moor upon the expiration of his Burnley contract, and with the striker being under the age of 24 at the time, the Clarets were due compensation for their efforts to hone his talents during the formative years of his career.

It took a long time for the authorities to come to a conclusion concerning the Ings deal, with a fee eventually set in April 2016, nearly a year after his move.

The figure was eventually determined by Professional Football Compensation Committee some nine months after he joined Liverpool, with the Reds ordered to pay a £6.5million fee, with add-ons totalling £1.5m.

The PFCC met in Manchester in April 2016 and listened to both clubs before deciding on what they felt to be a fair valuation of Ings.

Burnley were given a 20 per cent share of any sell-on fee the Reds made from the striker, who officially joined Southampton for £20m earlier this summer.

"We acknowledge and accept the tribunal's decision," Burnley chief executive David Baldwin said at the time.

"We feel we must reiterate this is an unprecedented record payment for training compensation and not a transfer fee.

"As the initial fee decided by the committee represents almost double the previous record for a tribunal, this fully justifies our decision to press ahead with what we felt was a fair reflection of the part Burnley Football Club played in Danny's development."

The fee set for Ings was a record sum for such a tribunal, which makes Fulham's hopes of earning an eight-figure fee perhaps unrealistic.

Whatever valuation is placed on Elliott is non-negotiable, but the PFCC is not a standing, permanent body, but rather made up on an ad-hoc basis of four or five people.

It is comprised of people who have experience in dealing with contracts and transfers and they must have the approval of the Premier League, Football League and Professional Footballers Association.

Once assembled the representatives of the PFCC have a list of factors to include, such as the status of the two clubs, the age of the player and the terms upon which he has agreed to move to the new team.

New contracts offered, the player's career records, international call-ups and first-team involvement are also taken into consideration, with little weight given to an often intangible concept such as future potential.

However, interest from other clubs is factored in and Elliott was a target for some of the biggest in Europe prior to his official move to Anfield last week.

Ings' valuation was set with Tottenham's interest in mind and Burnley were after as much as £12m for their forward before the figure was placed at just over half that over three years ago.

Fulham may feel aggrieved should they fail to get near their £10m valuation for England youth international Elliott, but the Reds will remain quietly confident they have snatched one of the brightest prospects around for a relatively modest fee - whatever figure is decided in the future.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-harvey-elliott-transfer-fee-16672436