watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for the opener

Started by MrFFC, August 01, 2019, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

Not sure I can add anything that hasn't been said already. The only question mark for me is right back, Scott can pick between Denis Odoi, Cyrus Christie and Steven Sessegnon and I think Denis gets the nod for solidity and experience. People seem to forget that Odoi arrived as a full back and has actually played more at left-back than right back and only played centre back as a temporary thing but justified not getting Tomas Kalas back in the lineup.

Anyway, Alfie Mawson is fine. Tim Ream seems the type to keep himself in shape and could be good to go but I would go Le Marchand next to Mawson mostly because he's been here all pre-season and should have a better understanding of the message Parker has been spouting all pre-season. Joe Bryan starting at left-back is a non-debate at this point.

I would have looked harder (at least what it seems) to improve the midfield but the trio that got us promoted is a no brainer at this point. Then I expect Knockaert and Cavaleiro to be either side of Mitrovic.

We have good depth in areas, bad depth in others. Hope to see a midfielder or two come in this summer (a reminder that if any of McDonald, Johansen and Cairney break their legs or tear an ACL - we're looking at a season with Francois, O'Riley or Cisse filling in *of course if the window was closed today).

filham

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on August 01, 2019, 04:53:43 PM
Good news that Mawson will be back, take Odoi out and it looks a bit better in defence.
Give that defence a chance, it suffered in the premier league but in the championship it may prove to be an experienced unit.
More worried about the cover it is going to get from midfield especially if McDonald tires after 75 minutes or so and the two new wide men don't work hard at defending.

Matt10

Best time of the year :)

I think we'll start pretty linear, with the only question mark being if it's Ream vs LeMarchand. Ream has played in a highly competitive series most recently out of all the defenders, so not sure if that is a nod for him to get the start or to get some rest. AK has looked good coming in late, but I'm sure he's hungry to be the starter. All about his attitude in accepting if that is a fact or not. Regarding subs, I feel like Fonte has underperformed, but Parker may give him a "trial" to start improving. Till then, DLT doesn't make the 18.

Think it'll be like this:

Betts

Christie      Mawson       LeMarchand        Bryan

Cairney  McDonald  Johansen

Knockaert       Mitro      Cavaleiro

Subs: Rodak, Fonte, Ayite, AK, Kebano, S.Sess, Odoi

FFC1987

Quote from: Matt10 on August 02, 2019, 04:49:48 PM

I think we'll start pretty linear, with the only question mark being if it's Ream vs LeMarchand. Ream has played in a highly competitive series most recently out of all the defenders, so not sure if that is a nod for him to get the start or to get some rest. AK has looked good coming in late, but I'm sure he's hungry to be the starter. All about his attitude in accepting if that is a fact or not. Regarding subs, I feel like Fonte has underperformed, but Parker may give him a "trial" to start improving. Till then, DLT doesn't make the 18.

Betts

I personally think we'll go:

Betts

Christie      Odoi       MLM        Bryan

Could be Ream instead but i think they'll want a bit of pace of Odoi and not force MAwson back if anything suspect happened with his knee.

Tabby

Betts

Think Ayite and Kebano along with AK is a bit redundant when there are no CM options. One of them for De La Torre or one of the other kids.

Mike the White

I see David Prutton has us down for a 2-1 loss.  Apparently Barnsley haven't lost at home for 2 years.  We shall see ...

fulhamben

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 02, 2019, 05:03:05 PM

Betts

Betts

Could be Ream instead but i think they'll want a bit of pace of Odoi and not force MAwson back if anything suspect happened with his knee.
ream is currently getting spanked in the under 23s, so out of contention
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FFC1987

Quote from: fulhamben on August 02, 2019, 07:02:24 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 02, 2019, 05:03:05 PM

Betts

Betts

ream is currently getting spanked in the under 23s, so out of contention

Yeh, good spot, only just saw that myself. I think unless the whole thing with Mawson was absolutely nothing, he'll start.

MikeCdawg

What's the story with Matt O'Riley? Is he staying?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Jeroen on August 01, 2019, 05:07:56 PM
Would you start Ream (without pre-season)?

Ream is playing tonight  (Friday ) for the u23 who are 3 down against QPR. Third from a glaceing header. Not sure Ream is the answer to anything when fit.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Matt10

Quote from: Tabby on August 02, 2019, 05:31:38 PM

Betts

Think Ayite and Kebano along with AK is a bit redundant when there are no CM options. One of them for De La Torre or one of the other kids.

Hm, good point. Tough call between Ayite and Kebano. Kebano brings pace and skill, but Ayite is solid with the ball and can finish. I wouldn't mind DLT. What happens if Kmac gets hurt, is that DLT's spot then?

FPT

Quote from: Mike the White on August 02, 2019, 05:46:10 PM
I see David Prutton has us down for a 2-1 loss.  Apparently Barnsley haven't lost at home for 2 years.  We shall see ...

They didn't lose a league game at home last season. The season before against Championship opposition? 4 wins, 9 draws, 9 losses (including a 3-1 loss against us).

They were a little harder to beat the season before that (6 wins, 11 draws, 6 losses) but we still beat them 4-2.

Our 3-1 win there two seasons ago was with a front three of Piazon, Sessegnon and Fonte with Kalas in the back four and a midfield three of McDonald, Johansen and Norwood (no Cairney).

Tomorrow we're going to have Mitrovic, Knockaert, Cavaleiro and Cairney plus Alfie Mawson. Sure, Barnsley will feel confident following promotion, but to look beyond that quality in most games this season is a bizarre decision.

the nutflush

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on August 01, 2019, 08:14:06 AM
I would swap Reeeeeeeam for La March but other than that I would pick the same team MrFFC.. I would have R Sess on the bench if fit also.

+1. Ream > MLM every day of the week. But just shows how big a hole we have in our defence that still needs plugging.

the nutflush

The Rational Fan

I hope Odoi and MLM play, as they are fit and we need to test them before window closes.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SuffolkWhite

Just a thought on DM cover for McDonald, would Cisse be part of things this season if SP has worked his magic on him?
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Spirit of 2000

If Mawson and Stef Jo fit. Betts, Odoi, Bryan, MLM, Mawson,  KMac, Stef Jo, Cairney, Cav, Knockaert and Mitro.

davew

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on August 03, 2019, 01:21:48 PM
If Mawson and Stef Jo fit. Betts, Odoi, Bryan, MLM, Mawson,  KMac, Stef Jo, Cairney, Cav, Knockaert and Mitro.
+1
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: davew on August 03, 2019, 01:50:45 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on August 03, 2019, 01:21:48 PM
+1
+2