more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan interview

Started by Fernhurst, August 12, 2019, 08:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingofCheese

Quote from: mrmicawbers on August 14, 2019, 02:20:42 PM
How can you call yourself King of cheese if you've never had a five guys cheeseburger?

You have a point..I might have to look at my other nome de plumes too "Lord of Lettuce" "Tsar of Tomatoes" "Baron of Beef" ...
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 14, 2019, 02:24:54 PM
Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 01:50:53 PM

I think it is important to be careful to equal potential correlation with actual causation. Just because someone is generally critical of TK doesn't invalidate their concern regarding having to pay to watch him (or anyone else) talk. It may very well be true that some posters are much more prone to complain about this because of TK being involved (although I assume he is not actually involved in the decision of the paywall), but we can of course never know this and it is therefore not a very relevant observation. In my opinion.

Aren't all observations relevant even if they are inaccurate (possibly?) otherwise who sifts observations before allowing them to be made?

Ok, first off all observations are of course not relevant for everything else. Secondly, I never claimed that your observation was inaccurate, but rather indicated that a conclusion based on said observation was not necessarily very accurate in this particular case (personal opinion, based on my opinion that the observation was not very relevant). Lastly, I don't think that anyone has to obtain approval in order to share their observations, and also never claimed such a thing.
[/quote]

""No," said the priest, "you don't need to accept everything as true, you only have to accept it as necessary." "Depressing view," said K. "The lie made into the rule of the world."
― Franz Kafka, The Trial
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on August 14, 2019, 02:20:42 PM
How can you call yourself King of cheese if you've never had a five guys cheeseburger?

You have a point..I might have to look at my other nome de plumes too "Lord of Lettuce" "Tsar of Tomatoes" "Baron of Beef" ...
#

Probably steer clear of Baron of Beef

YankeeJim

Quote from: love4ffc on August 14, 2019, 08:27:50 AM
Amazed this has reached 10 pages

Nothing is as melodious as the sound of ones own voice. I suspect this applies to the click clack of one's own keyboard.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on August 14, 2019, 09:14:38 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2019, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Quote from: Arthur on August 13, 2019, 05:32:42 PM
As I read it, it was only when it became evident to Levy that, if he walked away from our valuation, we wouldn't be running after him, we got the deal we ended up with. Well done, Fulham.

But "the deal we ended up with" was such that, whilst we received a large sum of money, we had no time to spend it. Money you can't spend is essentially worthless. If someone offered me (a) £10 unconditionally, or (b) £1,000,000 on the condition that I can't spend it, I'd take the tenner.

We can spend the money in future windows either loaning players in the second half of the season and/or writing players value off (eg Seri to zero) so that when we sell him we make a profit to buy other players.

Importantly, if we are on track for automatic promotion around christmas, we now have the budget to almost injury proof the last half of the season with three more loan signings. SP needs to get the team in the 42 points to 48 points range after 24 games

Yes you're quite right that we can spend it later and I was of course exaggerating to make a point.

But I do think what a lot of people are missing is that when conditions are attached to when and how you can spend money, they generally diminish its real value.

In this case, the conditions were effectively that we couldn't use the money to buy Hector now.

Whether or not that sacrifice is worth it depends how much Levy was offering in the days before the window closed, which we'll never know. TK says in the video he wasn't prepared to accept "a penny less" than £25m. I'm sure we can all agree that if Levy was offering £24,999,999.99 a week before the window shut, it would have been better to accept that and sign Hector, than to hold out for the extra penny in the final hours of the window. Of course I know TK wasnt talking literally and again, I'm exaggerating to make a point.

The issue is, for me, our chances of promotion will dramatically reduce after this season. If it's scuppered by an injury to Mawson in September and Odoi (as CB) and Christie coming into the back 4, that's £100m in TV money we've lost.

If Mawson is injuried in September, then we will all regret not buying Hector, but if Mawson is injuried in late December we can spend double on his replacement. In addition, if our backline does the job and left wing or right back needs an upgrade we will be better off waiting. Personally, i didn't like buying Hector or any backs, because i think we needed to focus on wingers and midfielders. If attack and midfield is sorted out, next window we need to focus on the right side of defense.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: sarnian on August 14, 2019, 08:54:03 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2019, 08:24:56 AM
I think people have missed that we can still buy free agents after deadline day, with the extra £5m we can add Danny Simpson RB, Ashley Williams CB and Ashley Cole LB today plus have cash left over. We have a perfect good backline of S.Sess, Mawson, Ream and Bryan plus Christie, Odoi and MLM as reserves. If that is not enough in a few weeks cause S.Sess fails or Mawson gets injuried, then wages for Danny Simpson, Ashley Williams and Ashley Cole could really beef up the bench.

Don't you think there may be a good reason why these 3 have not been snapped up. The last few times I have seem Williams he has been garbage. Cole was not good enough to replace Malone for Derby except when Malone was suspended or injured.

We only need these players if Mawson, Ream and Bryan get injuried. Ashley Williams is an upgrade on Djola if required.