Started by Fernhurst, August 12, 2019, 08:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Quote from: I Ronic on August 14, 2019, 07:49:52 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on August 14, 2019, 07:38:45 AM
Quote from: I Ronic on August 14, 2019, 06:51:19 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Quote from: Arthur on August 13, 2019, 05:32:42 PM
As I read it, it was only when it became evident to Levy that, if he walked away from our valuation, we wouldn't be running after him, we got the deal we ended up with. Well done, Fulham.

But "the deal we ended up with" was such that, whilst we received a large sum of money, we had no time to spend it. Money you can't spend is essentially worthless. If someone offered me (a) £10 unconditionally, or (b) £1,000,000 on the condition that I can't spend it, I'd take the tenner.

Really ? You can't spend the million but what about the interest or your vastly improved credit rating.
If that were a factor then it did not do us much good exactly one year ago did it?  (Rhetotical)
Credit rating is an absurd concept that encourages people to spend more than they have the clue being in the word 'credit'.

Unfortunately Tosh it's part of the world we live in and without it I along with millions of others would never have got on the housing ladder. There has been the odd  period where I spent more than I had, that was my fault.
Mortgages have been around for a very, very long time.  It once had the special meaning that you'd eventually pay off the debt and own a house.  Since house inflation took over via gentrification it has become a get rich quicker scheme for many people whilst pushing house ownership out of reach of many who actually deserve the chance.  That is a social problem the importance of which has been highlighted by economic collapse without resolution.  In the football environment it is etched out very clearly between haves and have nots. 

Credit, prior to plastic cards, was once something you'd spend a considerable time negotiating with a lender most often to be told 'no' which was a fair indication of stretching your ambitions too far. 

The Rational Fan

I think people have missed that we can still buy free agents after deadline day, with the extra £5m we can add Danny Simpson RB, Ashley Williams CB and Ashley Cole LB today plus have cash left over. We have a perfect good backline of S.Sess, Mawson, Ream and Bryan plus Christie, Odoi and MLM as reserves. If that is not enough in a few weeks cause S.Sess fails or Mawson gets injuried, then wages for Danny Simpson, Ashley Williams and Ashley Cole could really beef up the bench.

love4ffc

Amazed this has reached 10 pages
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

toshes mate

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 07:58:53 AM
I may be wrong but it does appear that those people most against giving the club £5 per month to watch content are also the same who moan at the club for not spending millions upon million on new players every time the window opens. Isn't that like the people who moan about the roads, hospitals and schools who also clap themselves on the back for avoiding tax?
I note you use the word 'giving' rather than 'paying for a product' which perhaps is a Freudian slip.  FFC is not a charity.  It has become a product in its more middle class days rather than the badge of honour it was in my younger years.  People judge products by price and quality and £5 per month (or £45 per year) is still quite an outlay for someone who is living on a tight budget.  I get the message from the Khans that they want to attract money to the Club but there are ways and means of doing that without alienating anyone.

sarnian

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2019, 08:24:56 AM
I think people have missed that we can still buy free agents after deadline day, with the extra £5m we can add Danny Simpson RB, Ashley Williams CB and Ashley Cole LB today plus have cash left over. We have a perfect good backline of S.Sess, Mawson, Ream and Bryan plus Christie, Odoi and MLM as reserves. If that is not enough in a few weeks cause S.Sess fails or Mawson gets injuried, then wages for Danny Simpson, Ashley Williams and Ashley Cole could really beef up the bench.

Don't you think there may be a good reason why these 3 have not been snapped up. The last few times I have seem Williams he has been garbage. Cole was not good enough to replace Malone for Derby except when Malone was suspended or injured.

Sting of the North

I may be wrong but it does appear that those people most against giving the club £5 per month to watch content are also the same who moan at the club for not spending millions upon million on new players every time the window opens. Isn't that like the people who moan about the roads, hospitals and schools who also clap themselves on the back for avoiding tax?

I believe you are misreading the arguments. I believe it would more accurate to compare those "who moan" to a taxpayer already paying a lot of taxes and then complaining when they do not receive a service (roads, hospitals and schools for example) that they feel that their huge outlay should reasonably warrant. Since the argument from several of those "who moan" was that they already spend a lot of money on season tickets etc.

Whether or not one believes that information such as the interview in question should be available because you have already paid a decent amount for another service is of course debatable.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on August 14, 2019, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Quote from: Arthur on August 13, 2019, 05:32:42 PM
As I read it, it was only when it became evident to Levy that, if he walked away from our valuation, we wouldn't be running after him, we got the deal we ended up with. Well done, Fulham.

But "the deal we ended up with" was such that, whilst we received a large sum of money, we had no time to spend it. Money you can't spend is essentially worthless. If someone offered me (a) £10 unconditionally, or (b) £1,000,000 on the condition that I can't spend it, I'd take the tenner.

We can spend the money in future windows either loaning players in the second half of the season and/or writing players value off (eg Seri to zero) so that when we sell him we make a profit to buy other players.

Importantly, if we are on track for automatic promotion around christmas, we now have the budget to almost injury proof the last half of the season with three more loan signings. SP needs to get the team in the 42 points to 48 points range after 24 games

Yes you're quite right that we can spend it later and I was of course exaggerating to make a point.

But I do think what a lot of people are missing is that when conditions are attached to when and how you can spend money, they generally diminish its real value.

In this case, the conditions were effectively that we couldn't use the money to buy Hector now.

Whether or not that sacrifice is worth it depends how much Levy was offering in the days before the window closed, which we'll never know. TK says in the video he wasn't prepared to accept "a penny less" than £25m. I'm sure we can all agree that if Levy was offering £24,999,999.99 a week before the window shut, it would have been better to accept that and sign Hector, than to hold out for the extra penny in the final hours of the window. Of course I know TK wasnt talking literally and again, I'm exaggerating to make a point.

The issue is, for me, our chances of promotion will dramatically reduce after this season. If it's scuppered by an injury to Mawson in September and Odoi (as CB) and Christie coming into the back 4, that's £100m in TV money we've lost.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 14, 2019, 09:13:15 AM

I believe you are misreading the arguments. I believe it would more accurate to compare those "who moan" to a taxpayer already paying a lot of taxes and then complaining when they do not receive a service (roads, hospitals and schools for example) that they feel that their huge outlay should reasonably warrant. Since the argument from several of those "who moan" was that they already spend a lot of money on season tickets etc.

Whether or not one believes that information such as the interview in question should be available because you have already paid a decent amount for another service is of course debatable.

I agree with a lot of what you say and feel that one option would be to give season ticket holders (of which I am not one currently) the service for free, even though as you point out that the service they have contracted with the club for is actually 19 live games as the ground rather than highlights. However, I do notice a correlation between those that seem to feel that they are being ripped off with those that also question TK and the club's transfer policy. There is almost a "TK can do nothing right" mentality within this forum which I suspect would still be the case if he went and bought the Liverpool back line.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: toshes mate on August 14, 2019, 08:47:57 AM
I note you use the word 'giving' rather than 'paying for a product' which perhaps is a Freudian slip.  FFC is not a charity.  It has become a product in its more middle class days rather than the badge of honour it was in my younger years.  People judge products by price and quality and £5 per month (or £45 per year) is still quite an outlay for someone who is living on a tight budget.  I get the message from the Khans that they want to attract money to the Club but there are ways and means of doing that without alienating anyone.

I wouldn't read any extra meaning into my choice of words in this case, I use giving interchangeable with paying in this context. Whilst £5 might seem expensive it is the price of a burger from BK and therefore I personally think it is worth it not having the money at the moment to pay for a season ticket...at least I can see the games. Mind you that is a personal opinion as I have never had a burger from Five Guys because every time I walk into one I see the £7 plus starting price and can't justify paying that for something I can get cheaper elsewhere..doesn't stop me thinking that one day I will buy one though...
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Lighthouse

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 11:29:19 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on August 14, 2019, 09:13:15 AM

I agree with a lot of what you say and feel that one option would be to give season ticket holders (of which I am not one currently) the service for free, even though as you point out that the service they have contracted with the club for is actually 19 live games as the ground rather than highlights. However, I do notice a correlation between those that seem to feel that they are being ripped off with those that also question TK and the club's transfer policy. There is almost a "TK can do nothing right" mentality within this forum which I suspect would still be the case if he went and bought the Liverpool back line.

Actually as a supporter of TK who has stuck up for him under heavy fire. Plus a critic of the money grabbing system that insists that we must pay for everything many times over as we do with football. I find your conclusions inaccurate.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Roberty

It has nothing to do with the title topic - BUT at it seems to be where this thread has gone:-

I happily stump up my £4 soon to be £5 for Fulham TV - it gives me access to a lot of stuff that was not available before and I can access it from where ever in the world I am

I stopped buying programs because I never read them and the money saved more than pays for Fulham TV

As to including it the price of my season ticket - why should all the other season ticket holders pay if they don't want the service? It was much the same as a few years ago when a home cup game was included - why - not everyone wanted to go to it but they had to pay anyway.

I'm more miffed about being sold "ticket exchange" with my season tickets - it was an unconditional statement - two weeks into the season and there is no indication from the club as to when it will start or how it will work - maybe a report to trading standards about mis selling would loosen their tongues.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Roberty

"Yes you're quite right that we can spend it later and I was of course exaggerating to make a point"

Statto - it wasn't much of a point nor is your new one - there is no end to the size of our squad if you want cover for everyone who might be injured. I have no idea what it is but there is some limit to the number of first team player we can nominate and at some point someone - TK maybe has to say that we have enough.

There are supposed to be some exciting prospects from the academy - Steven Sessegnon is the one most spoken about - if we do not make some effort to bring them through they will all end up following Elliot to Liverpool or some other Pool. Ryan was the only one we have made any real effort to bring through, probably since Sean Davis and that is a terrible state of affairs. If we're going to have an Academy there needs to be some prospect of advancement and we cannot keep bringing in average players to cover for average players - at some point there has to be "one of our own" on the pitch

Sting of the North

I think it is important to be careful to equal potential correlation with actual causation. Just because someone is generally critical of TK doesn't invalidate their concern regarding having to pay to watch him (or anyone else) talk. It may very well be true that some posters are much more prone to complain about this because of TK being involved (although I assume he is not actually involved in the decision of the paywall), but we can of course never know this and it is therefore not a very relevant observation. In my opinion.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Sting of the North on August 14, 2019, 01:26:26 PM

I think it is important to be careful to equal potential correlation with actual causation. Just because someone is generally critical of TK doesn't invalidate their concern regarding having to pay to watch him (or anyone else) talk. It may very well be true that some posters are much more prone to complain about this because of TK being involved (although I assume he is not actually involved in the decision of the paywall), but we can of course never know this and it is therefore not a very relevant observation. In my opinion.

Aren't all observations relevant even if they are inaccurate (possibly?) otherwise who sifts observations before allowing them to be made?
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

KingofCheese

Quote from: Roberty on August 14, 2019, 12:27:12 PM
It has nothing to do with the title topic - BUT at it seems to be where this thread has gone:-

I happily stump up my £4 soon to be £5 for Fulham TV - it gives me access to a lot of stuff that was not available before and I can access it from where ever in the world I am

I stopped buying programs because I never read them and the money saved more than pays for Fulham TV

As to including it the price of my season ticket - why should all the other season ticket holders pay if they don't want the service? It was much the same as a few years ago when a home cup game was included - why - not everyone wanted to go to it but they had to pay anyway.

I'm more miffed about being sold "ticket exchange" with my season tickets - it was an unconditional statement - two weeks into the season and there is no indication from the club as to when it will start or how it will work - maybe a report to trading standards about mis selling would loosen their tongues.

Have you ever bought a Five Guys burger though?
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Dr Quinzel

Same. I wonder if they simply can't manage it and hope we forget about it. They gave FST an update last time around detailing that funds would go to your next season ticket, but no more than that. Believe FST are to ask at their most recent meeting which may have been this week?

Roberty

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on August 14, 2019, 01:59:13 PM

Same. I wonder if they simply can't manage it and hope we forget about it. They gave FST an update last time around detailing that funds would go to your next season ticket, but no more than that. Believe FST are to ask at their most recent meeting which may have been this week?

I read that too and I don't have a problem with that - I think the same notes also said the publication was imminent as did a reply to an email I sent to the club in July.

Season ticket holders have the best seats with the best views of the pitch - it is a waste that they are left empty when the holder cannot attend and people have to sit behind girders that hold up the roof.

It will also be the case that if the club doesn't do something the touts will if demand outstrips supply - season ticket seats for the bigger clubs are regularly sold online - for double or triple the face value - and delivered to the hotel where the purchaser stays - they have to be returned in a prepaid envelope or left with the hotel for collection after the match.

Roberty

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 01:52:40 PM

Have you ever bought a Five Guys burger though?

No - I'm not brave or stupid enough - I also don't have a rocky table that needs a wedge under one leg

mrmicawbers

How can you call yourself King of cheese if you've never had a five guys cheeseburger?

Sting of the North

Quote from: KingofCheese on August 14, 2019, 01:50:53 PM

Aren't all observations relevant even if they are inaccurate (possibly?) otherwise who sifts observations before allowing them to be made?
[/quote]

Ok, first off all observations are of course not relevant for everything else. Secondly, I never claimed that your observation was inaccurate, but rather indicated that a conclusion based on said observation was not necessarily very accurate in this particular case (personal opinion, based on my opinion that the observation was not very relevant). Lastly, I don't think that anyone has to obtain approval in order to share their observations, and also never claimed such a thing.