watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Darren Bent.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, August 14, 2019, 07:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

After reading about Cyrus Christie and the abuse his sister suffered, I read in the metro today that Darren Bent said he only suffered racial abuse at Fulham. I do find it hard to believe that it wasn't anywhere else, but is it really that bad? What are the club doing about it if it is? There's no need for it in this day and age to be honest.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

KJS

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 14, 2019, 07:17:34 AM
After reading about Cyrus Christie and the abuse his sister suffered, I read in the metro today that Darren Bent said he only suffered racial abuse at Fulham. I do find it hard to believe that it wasn't anywhere else, but is it really that bad? What are the club doing about it if it is? There's no need for it in this day and age to be honest.

The only time we gave him any abuse (not racial)was when he scored for Brighton against us away and ran towards us and mocked the Fulham fans! we then scored 2 and shut the lazy twit up!!

Funny how once a player of different race has jumped on another players band wagon rather than say anything about it at all when it allegedly happened??

snarks

I read on here a while ago that some Fulham "fans" abused Darren Bent in front of his wife and child(ren) at the car park after a game.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the incident he is talking about.

Andy S

Darren Bent took a lot of stuff because he appeared lazy. I'm not sure about racism though. Sadly it is racism that made a lot of people vote Brexit so it is no good thinking it doesn't exist

Holders

Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2019, 08:53:16 AM
Darren Bent took a lot of stuff because he appeared lazy. I'm not sure about racism though. Sadly it is racism that made a lot of people vote Brexit so it is no good thinking it doesn't exist

I can never understand how some fans can be racist until said player scores then they're celebrating. It's not as if players with different historical racial origins are still the exception in teams these days.

Bent, however, (whether white or black) never seemed to try or care very much. The same can't be said of Christie.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

New Kid on the Block

I voted for Brexit. Am I to assume that, by doing that, I am a racist? The last time I looked, I wasn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on August 14, 2019, 09:01:13 AM
I voted for Brexit. Am I to assume that, by doing that, I am a racist? The last time I looked, I wasn't.

0001.jpeg
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeTheCubed

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/nov/28/darren-bent-mother-racial-abuse-sunderland

QuoteDarren Bent has claimed his mother was racially abused by a Sunderland fan during his side's 1-0 defeat at Wigan.

The Sunderland striker posted the claim on his Twitter feed shortly after the match, which was settled by Hugo Rodallega's 76th-minute goal. Bent's original post read: "So we get beaten by Wigan and to make matters worse my mum gets racially abused by a Sunderland fan. I won't stand for that."

--------------

https://www.metro.news/darren-bent/1674179/

QuoteCyrus is 100 per cent right. I've had trouble with Fulham fans. My family have never really complained about it anywhere else other than at Fulham.

--------------

The contradiction here doesn't lend any credence to the Cyrus Christie allegations.

Statto

Sorry but do we have to have another racism/politics thread FFS.

FFC1987

I have to say, I can't recall at any point Bent complaining or having made complaints about racial abuse. There was a well documented video of some clowns calling him out for his bad performances, wrongly in my opinion, but ultimately, it all started with some young fans having waited for autographs and he refused to do them, then it all kicked off. Someone mentioned being on that much money, how could he not and his retort was to ask fans how much they earn......

I don't like Bent, never have. he's from where I grew up and he was known as a Bell there too. Not condoning any racial abuse obviously, that should go without saying, but I feel like he's jumping on the bandwagon here with his bitterness towards Fulham.

N_O_W_S

Of course not, cant paint everyone with the same brush.

Some people had very legitimate reasons for voting for Brexit. Others didnt. The amount of overt or public racism increased in the time following the referendum but to say all that voted Brexit are racist is of course not true.

This thread has a risk of getting off topic.

Unfortunately racism will always feature in football. There need to be stronger ramifications. I am worried that the Cyrus Christie incident will result in a slapped wrist when it should result in prison time.

Statto

BTW what has happened with the Christie situation? No arrests reported so far. Surely with all those witnesses and the seat booking, and apparently someone handing themselves into police, they should have been able to arrest someone by now. If it emerges that no offence was committed, will Christie post a public apology?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 14, 2019, 09:25:47 AM
I have to say, I can't recall at any point Bent complaining or having made complaints about racial abuse. There was a well documented video of some clowns calling him out for his bad performances, wrongly in my opinion, but ultimately, it all started with some young fans having waited for autographs and he refused to do them, then it all kicked off. Someone mentioned being on that much money, how could he not and his retort was to ask fans how much they earn......

I don't like Bent, never have. he's from where I grew up and he was known as a Bell there too. Not condoning any racial abuse obviously, that should go without saying, but I feel like he's jumping on the bandwagon here with his bitterness towards Fulham.

I agree, Bent was a lazy arrogant individual, whatever he may say I take with a pinch of salt, he lost his credibility many years ago.

Never forget your Roots.

Burt

This thread is not about Brexit, so steer clear of it else I'm hitting the "Lock" button!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Ols_S on August 14, 2019, 09:29:01 AM

Of course not, cant paint everyone with the same brush.

Some people had very legitimate reasons for voting for Brexit. Others didnt. The amount of overt or public racism increased in the time following the referendum but to say all that voted Brexit are racist is of course not true.

This thread has a risk of getting off topic.

Unfortunately racism will always feature in football. There need to be stronger ramifications. I am worried that the Cyrus Christie incident will result in a slapped wrist when it should result in prison time.

I don't think they send anyone to prison these days.

Never forget your Roots.

N_O_W_S

Lighthouse

How many times has an individual been in a situation where they have been involved in an altercation with another human being? People tend, when upset, to attack the one thing they can see. You fat so and so. You black so and so. You long haired so and so. You gay so and so. You rich so and so.

Often we mistake attacks as racially based when they are in fact anger based. Attacks on Women, on people of a different colour, on people who appear to be different or just appear to have more. Often are anger and frustration based. It doesn't detract from the fact that it is wrong. But too often people blame attacks on a simple explanation. When frankly at football people will often shout at players, all be it a wrong reaction. because they played poorly or appeared to not put in much effort for the huge wages they received.

It isn't always because you are black that you get abuse. It is that you are perceived to be not very good.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

KJS

Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2019, 08:53:16 AM

A very sweeping statement!

I voted to leave but I am not a Racist so may I suggest you keep that opinion on that subject to yourself in future as you have no idea why individual free minded people voted to leave

Woolly Mammoth

Let me confirm that I am in no way condoning any form of racism, and to prove it, about a month ago on a tube, I noticed three young black guys follow a flustered looking white guy down the carriage until he sat down near where I was standing, and they sat opposite him, saying to him quite calmly, gammon head, and honky and load of other stuff I could not understand, kept mentioning blood clot. I could not just stand there and ignore it, so I asked them nicely why are they talking to him like that. They looked shocked that anyone would challenge them, but they never answered, so I said why don't you say that to me, they just looked at each other, and got off at the next stop, I think they went in another carriage. The guy thanked me and said he was worried they might be carrying knives, I said to him so was I.
Which brings me to some words of wisdom one of my neighbours was saying, that the "race card is a tool of the intellectually weak and lazy, when they cannot counter a logical argument or factual data ". Obviously I am sure this bares no relation to Christie incident, which is a separate issue in its own right, just saying it's not all one way, and it appears to be getting worse instead of better, and I blame amongst other things soft sentencing, not enough police on the streets, who have one hand tied behind their backs, the London Mayor and all the liberal woolly headed snow flake out of touch members of the establishment, and that's just for starters.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on August 14, 2019, 09:12:18 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/nov/28/darren-bent-mother-racial-abuse-sunderland

QuoteDarren Bent has claimed his mother was racially abused by a Sunderland fan during his side's 1-0 defeat at Wigan.

The Sunderland striker posted the claim on his Twitter feed shortly after the match, which was settled by Hugo Rodallega's 76th-minute goal. Bent's original post read: "So we get beaten by Wigan and to make matters worse my mum gets racially abused by a Sunderland fan. I won't stand for that."

--------------

https://www.metro.news/darren-bent/1674179/

QuoteCyrus is 100 per cent right. I've had trouble with Fulham fans. My family have never really complained about it anywhere else other than at Fulham.

--------------

The contradiction here doesn't lend any credence to the Cyrus Christie allegations.
You have researched and found a discrepancy which isn't altogether unusual in contemporary society.  We are all human beings and tend to respond in given ways even when we do know better.  I am sure all footballers give and suffer abuse in a measure which unfortunately doesn't always work out to be fair, through some people's eyes.  As Lighthouse says anger and rage is something that for a while can go dangerously close to being uncontrollable, and is often based upon the most trivial incidents when it does so.

As far as I can tell South Yorkshire police did not receive a complaint on the Christie affair, and that may suggest all parties considered there was a better way towards a satisfactory solution to whatever did happen.