https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Darren Bent.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, August 14, 2019, 07:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: KJS on August 14, 2019, 10:30:17 AM
Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2019, 08:53:16 AM
Darren Bent took a lot of stuff because he appeared lazy. I'm not sure about racism though. Sadly it is racism that made a lot of people vote Brexit so it is no good thinking it doesn't exist

A very sweeping statement!

I voted to leave but I am not a Racist so may I suggest you keep that opinion on that subject to yourself in future as you have no idea why individual free minded people voted to leave

Exactly right KJS I could not have put it better myself.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

As mentioned above, Bent made no comment on this at the time he was at Fulham which is a shame as the club could have acted then to raise the awareness of racism in football and at Fulham in particular. This may have meant this awful incident with Christie could have been avoided.

I have never heard any racist comments at Fulham or seen any racist behaviour but that does not mean to say that it doesn't happen every so often. Maybe some newer fans feel they need to try the alpha male thing and impress their friends by making racist comments. I do hope though this is an absolute minority and the club and us fans deal with it and get it out of our club.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

This thread wasn't supposed to be about Brexit, it was supposed to be about racism in football. The UK, and the world as a whole is a very sexist and racist place. It doesn't stop and unlikely to ever stop, but I was simply asking if it is more common than I was led to believe at Fulham!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

snarks

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 14, 2019, 11:17:20 AM
This thread wasn't supposed to be about Brexit, it was supposed to be about racism in football. The UK, and the world as a whole is a very sexist and racist place. It doesn't stop and unlikely to ever stop, but I was simply asking if it is more common than I was led to believe at Fulham!

I think the answer to that is yes. If as was reported on here, people were singing songs supporting a currently imprisoned far right thug, then there is a racist element. Having said that a lot of clubs have that issue at the moment.

FFC1987

Quote from: snarks on August 14, 2019, 11:39:04 AM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 14, 2019, 11:17:20 AM

I think the answer to that is yes. If as was reported on here, people were singing songs supporting a currently imprisoned far right thug, then there is a racist element. Having said that a lot of clubs have that issue at the moment.

I suggest shutting this thread down now. We've already seen a conflation to Brexit and racism and now someone who supports Tommy Robinson (assuming thats the right winger you're referencing) is now also conflated to racism. Its not helpful or productive to do so other than pushing a more left wing political message which I believe is against the boards rules no?

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 14, 2019, 11:51:04 AM
I suggest shutting this thread down now.

1,000% agree, should have been deleted immediately

Get some sense mods, surely this is a breach of the no politics rule and the thread will obviously go the same way as all the others, souring the relatively good vibe we have on here at the moment following the Barnsley result

Lighthouse

There is a button you can press.  'Report to Moderator' Instead of all this fake outrage I suggest those who object press it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFC1987

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 14, 2019, 12:07:22 PM
There is a button you can press.  'Report to Moderator' Instead of all this fake outrage I suggest those who object press it.

It's hardly fake outrage though is it.....I think outrage is the wrong word entirely.

Holders

Quote from: Statto on August 14, 2019, 12:02:03 PM

Get some sense mods, surely this is a breach of the no politics rule and the thread will obviously go the same way as all the others, souring the relatively good vibe we have on here at the moment following the Barnsley result

Blackburn, surely!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FFC1987

Quote from: Holders on August 14, 2019, 12:27:25 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 14, 2019, 12:02:03 PM

Blackburn, surely!

nah, we were all celebrating Woodrow......

Slaphead in Qatar

Fulham is a mirror of society. We are not better or worse.

Unfortunately people seem to be more openly racist and sexist these days. The racism and sexism always was there but people used to be quieter about it.

RaySmith

I've never seen racism at Fulham or with Fulham away, and don't believe we have a significant problem apart from a few youngsters trying to be big..

Certainly no worse than most other clubs, and probably a lot less than some i could mention. Football represents a cross section of society, so you are bound to get some individuals with unacceptable views but they aren't representative of Fulham fans generally - who I think are mostly a very well behaved, civilised lot.

The incidents, though not at all acceptable, and tarnishing Fulham's reputation, are very isolated, I think. Sit amongst Chelsea , West Ham or Millwall fans, and you will hear far , far worse, than you will ever get at Fulham, where you probably won't hear anything untoward.

epsomraver

Quote from: KJS on August 14, 2019, 07:53:02 AM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 14, 2019, 07:17:34 AM
After reading about Cyrus Christie and the abuse his sister suffered, I read in the metro today that Darren Bent said he only suffered racial abuse at Fulham. I do find it hard to believe that it wasn't anywhere else, but is it really that bad? What are the club doing about it if it is? There's no need for it in this day and age to be honest.

The only time we gave him any abuse (not racial)was when he scored for Brighton against us away and ran towards us and mocked the Fulham fans! we then scored 2 and shut the lazy twit up!!

Funny how once a player of different race has jumped on another players band wagon rather than say anything about it at all when it allegedly happened??
0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

FFC1987

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on August 14, 2019, 12:32:57 PM

Unfortunately people seem to be more openly racist and sexist these days. The racism and sexism always was there but people used to be quieter about it.

See, I don't think this is true at all really. If you compare society from say 60's-80's to now, its not comparable in the slightest, so the idea that we've gone backwards is a little hard to take seriously. Having grown up in a very racist area of the UK, people are still openly racist there now, but I think its way less than it was. We still have problems, but the scale of it is way less than it ever was.

epsomraver

not at all, people are just finding offence in everything these days , some spend all their days being "offended" snowflake society

FFC1987

Quote from: epsomraver on August 14, 2019, 12:38:05 PM

not at all, people are just finding offence in everything these days , some spend all their days being "offended" snowflake society

As much as I think we look for it more, I think the fact social media highlights it way more is also a reason. Like the media, we tend to focus on the low hanging fruit vocal minority of opinion rather than the massive positives we've made in the last decade. It's a shame really.

epsomraver

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 14, 2019, 10:52:06 AM
Quote from: KJS on August 14, 2019, 10:30:17 AM
Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2019, 08:53:16 AM
Darren Bent took a lot of stuff because he appeared lazy. I'm not sure about racism though. Sadly it is racism that made a lot of people vote Brexit so it is no good thinking it doesn't exist

A very sweeping statement!

I voted to leave but I am not a Racist so may I suggest you keep that opinion on that subject to yourself in future as you have no idea why individual free minded people voted to leave

Exactly right KJS I could not have put it better myself.
0001.jpeg

Baszab

I'm a racist  against lazy footballers not trying whilst playing for FFC and copping £25k a week when we pay our measly £40 to watch them - irrespective of white black or green

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 14, 2019, 12:37:35 PM

See, I don't think this is true at all really. If you compare society from say 60's-80's to now, its not comparable in the slightest, so the idea that we've gone backwards is a little hard to take seriously. Having grown up in a very racist area of the UK, people are still openly racist there now, but I think its way less than it was. We still have problems, but the scale of it is way less than it ever was.

For Enoch Powell you now have Trump. Just one analogy I know - but it's not got better, it's not got worse either to be fair

FFC1987

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on August 14, 2019, 01:10:32 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 14, 2019, 12:37:35 PM

For Enoch Powell you now have Trump. Just one analogy I know - but it's not got better, it's not got worse either to be fair

Hmm agree to disagree. We've got way better.