watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lazy Players

Started by Andy S, August 15, 2019, 12:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

There are and have been a lot of players over the years that could have been classed lazy. But looking lazy as a forward can be deceptive. Berbatov looked lazy but what speed was in that brain. Saha looked lazy but if that ball is coming across you would put money on him reaching it first. its not jus forwards either They used to say Bobby Moore was slow but he won a lot of tackles.
Somebody who wasn't slow Frank Large. He would keep running for 90 mins but could not hit a barn door when he was with us

The Rational Fan

I don't like the word lazy to describe players that are not as athletic. Odoi and Johasen have more energy than Mitrovoic and KMac. I think KMac trains hard, but his body just doesn't allow him to get as fit as Odoi.

RaySmith

Well, it isn't accurate to describe a player as lazy just because he's slower, and maybe not as good as another player, maybe in a different position.

He could be training just as hard, or harder, and giving his all in a game, but just doesn't have the natural talent, is naturally a heavier build, maybe ageing legs, but isn't lazy, or unfit - which would make him lazy implying he didn't train hard enough, unless he'd been injured, though ongoing niggles can effect player performance and make them seem as if not trying.

I agree that fans  often talk of players as lazy and not trying, but I'm not sure if you can tell this - ie players might seem lazy and not trying, but it isn't the case. I think most  pro players try their best these days, with so much at stake in every game in a rewarding career if successful, but one which is highly competitive, and there's always someone better coming along to take your place in the team..

toshes mate

Not every footballer can run 100 metres to Olympic qualifying standards; not every footballer can react to an event in such a time as would disqualify a 100m runner, but professional players learn and have coping strategies just as all skilled technicians do.  If your skill is being in the right place at the right time then you don't necessarily need blistering pace.  If your skill is instant control you don't necessarily need to be in space.  If your skill is getting to the ball legally every time you make a tackle then you can afford to wait for the right time.  If you read the game comprehensively then you know when a foul may be better than no foul. 

As watchers of professional footballers we learn how to watch the game too, and it takes time to cope with that when you are urging your team to victory.  There's a difference between laziness and not giving one hundred percent.

I Ronic

Murphy always moving, always barking out orders gave you 90 minutes of watching entertainment. Berbatov was the complete opposite but watching him take a ball out of the air and kill it stone dead or a little flick over the head of a defender and into the path or more often than not to his feet was worth the ticket price, just for those few fleeting minutes.

colinwhite

Its a fine line. Players that are very cool on the ball get accused of being casual. Players that run all the time may not have real character when it comes to the crunch. Some players are winners,some not. Being fast or ,always putting ina shift doesnt guarantee  anything ,but it often helps, but not always.

hovewhite

Interesting this I see cavelero has been called it already in a few posts already compared to knockheart,but loved watching berbatov worth season ticket whilst he was at the club.

snarks

Truly lazy players don't last long in a team.

Berbatov was always unfairly called lazy in my mind, he was frequently back in the penalty area when the other team had a corner. Yes his was not an "all action" style but he covered the ground as he was asked to.

Southcoastffc

Interesting discussion. I know some would call TC lazy but so far this season (perhaps the effect of Parker) I think he's noticeably more active, tackling and covering back more than last season. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bog

Quote from: Andy S on August 15, 2019, 12:06:45 AM
There are and have been a lot of players over the years that could have been classed lazy. But looking lazy as a forward can be deceptive. Berbatov looked lazy but what speed was in that brain. Saha looked lazy but if that ball is coming across you would put money on him reaching it first. its not jus forwards either They used to say Bobby Moore was slow but he won a lot of tackles.
Somebody who wasn't slow Frank Large. He would keep running for 90 mins but could not hit a barn door when he was with us

Frank always gave his all for us even if it just did not work out for him here. Having to follow Allan Clarke was an almost impossible task. Like replacing Albert Einstein with Knickerless Clegg.

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 15, 2019, 11:49:12 AM
Interesting discussion. I know some would call TC lazy but so far this season (perhaps the effect of Parker) I think he's noticeably more active, tackling and covering back more than last season. 

I was gonna post that
its as if last season cairneyplayed as if he was one bad tackle away from a serious injury so was tackle shy

this season those fears seem to have gone