watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Allan Jones

Started by bog, August 19, 2019, 10:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

This may have been covered before but being an avid reader of the Rothman's Year Book, now published by Sky Sports, because I am getting old now, I always check the obituaries pages. In the 2017/18 edition I found that a former player of ours had passed away 27th December 2016 aged 76.  Allan Jones. I recall he being on b&w tv when scoring in the first minute of his debut v Bolton 6th February 1960. He had been a prolific goalscorer for the youth and reserves but only went on to make 8 appearances in total and score three goals.  However, about 25 years later he was in charge at Dover and I was involved with a side who were due to play there. I rang to confirm the fixture and spoke to the man himself. I brought up the subject of his debut and playing for Fulham, the club I love and arranged to meet up on the evening of the game. He had kept all his newspaper cuttings of his debut. He could not have been a nicer chap.  Said things just did not work or for him there. Wish I could have spent more time with him. I know he has been gone nearly three years now but RIP Allan.     

filham

I just can't remember the player but an interesting piece Bog. I of course would have loved to have met anyone who played for Fulham , even if only a few games, so I envy you.

Fernhurst

Don't remember him Captain, but, if he was one of ours,,,, RIP Allan
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

The programmes of that time show Allan to be a very prolific scorer for the reserves, perhaps nerves played a part when he stepped up.

092.gif     

OldBrownShoe

093.gif I remember him very well, saw his brilliant debut goal against Bolton, some of his relatively few first team appearances and quite a few for the reserves.
Great memories of those years and some of the many players who graced the Cottage pitch both for and against us.  049:gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Peabody

I remember him Bog, we seemed to produce a lot of prolific youngsters around that time,  players who were going to set the world alight but never quite did. Players like Bobby Moss, Bobby Brown, Dave Metchick and of course Allan Jones. Anyway, belated RiP Allan,

bill taylors apprentice

Allan William Edward Jones
Born in Paddington 1940
Scored the goal on his debut v Bolton W (h) 1960 after just 35 seconds. 1-1
Made 7 appearances between Feb & April scoring 3 goals.

59/60 was our first season back in the old First Div.
Finished in 10th 

Jones spent more than 30 years in Kent football as a player, coach, manager & secretary at various clubs.