watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We win two on the trot

Started by The Old Count, August 17, 2019, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

both matches in atrocious conditions that don't favour our playing style and there are multiple posts slagging players off.

It's like this board been taken over by a load of spoilt kids?

Jem

There was a time when we couldn't buy an away win. Fulham was like a fine wine - it didn't travel well.
It is still early in the season so I am happy with how it is going so far  :beer:. My round I believe!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Statto

My posts have been largely positive since Blackburn but this forum would be boring and pointless if there wasn't a little bit of balance. Yes we've got 6 pts but neither of them were especially hard fixtures and we were at least matched, if not slightly outplayed, in the first half both games. Improvement is needed if we're to meet expectations this season.

Even Cairney and Parker have publicly stated they thought Cavaleiro was poor first half, for example.

toshes mate

The win last night kind of made up for the loss at Barnsley, but, if you really have automatic promotion ambitions, then both matches should have been the kind of games you think you should get three points from.  The team is improving from the lows of last season and there are signs that SP is a fast learner - I have mentioned how Arter's role last night differed from the Blackburn game, for example - and he is clearly trying to find a balance between adventure and misadventure.  It wasn't a runaway success but then it is really early days for many of the players in the team. I always look for small improvements game by game that suggest we are moving in the right direction and there were a few things that caught my eyes last night.  We were more dominant in the second half but we should have scored more than the one goal in that half.  It is a work in progress.

Bill2

At times we played some very slick passing football which would have been praised had it been any of the top Prem teams.

Finnans Right Peg

What pleased me the most was was the commitment and the heart and fight shown on friday compared to the barnsley 
Match. The good football will come I mean cairney mitro cav knockheart reid arter they are all clever footballers so it will click but in this league you have to earn the right to play nice football and this team as done that in the last 2 games

Lighthouse

The problem with being overly positive is that you miss the fact that we have played one decent half so far. The games are all tough and there are no easy fixtures. But yes there is plenty to be happy with over and above the results. However these are early days and if we lose the next two matches it will be back to overly tragic and critical posts usually posted by those who go over the top after a win.

But it is nice not playing that well and having two wins. Plus I agree that the feeling within the squad just looks better than the whole of last season. Happy but I prefer the cautious approach. The fall doesn't hurt so much if we end up on our bottoms. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

Quote from: toshes mate on August 17, 2019, 09:44:10 AM
The win last night kind of made up for the loss at Barnsley, but, if you really have automatic promotion ambitions, then both matches should have been the kind of games you think you should get three points from.  The team is improving from the lows of last season and there are signs that SP is a fast learner - I have mentioned how Arter's role last night differed from the Blackburn game, for example - and he is clearly trying to find a balance between adventure and misadventure.  It wasn't a runaway success but then it is really early days for many of the players in the team. I always look for small improvements game by game that suggest we are moving in the right direction and there were a few things that caught my eyes last night.  We were more dominant in the second half but we should have scored more than the one goal in that half.  It is a work in progress.
Ever thought of having a space or two between sentences?
Not having a go, but it does make it difficult to read, being one constant paragraph.

You make good points but I often scroll to the next post, instead.

jarv

early days...the team is good enough to improve which it will (I believe)

Whitesideup

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 17, 2019, 07:17:33 PM
The problem with being overly positive is that you miss the fact that we have played one decent half so far. The games are all tough and there are no easy fixtures. But yes there is plenty to be happy with over and above the results. However these are early days and if we lose the next two matches it will be back to overly tragic and critical posts usually posted by those who go over the top after a win.

But it is nice not playing that well and having two wins. Plus I agree that the feeling within the squad just looks better than the whole of last season. Happy but I prefer the cautious approach. The fall doesn't hurt so much if we end up on our bottoms. 
Which half are you referring to? Comments suggest that we had a good second half against Huddersfield. I was quite happy with second half against Blackburn, and thought even in the first half that once we scored and knocked the stuffing out of them, we took control of the game.

All teams work very hard. Most are well-organized. I don't think we can expect to dominate right from the start.

But I agree that we should be cautious and said as much on the thread about the next two games. Let's not get carried away, but I am happy with the last two performances.

Twig

Saying that we have had only one decent half so far has become a cliche. Do people actually go to matches?

Andy S

Just enjoy the weekend after a long journey. It is always the result that counts and the result was good

Lighthouse

Saying things are a cliche has become a bit of a cliche.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on August 18, 2019, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 17, 2019, 07:17:33 PM

Which half are you referring to? Comments suggest that we had a good second half against Huddersfield. I was quite happy with second half against Blackburn, and thought even in the first half that once we scored and knocked the stuffing out of them, we took control of the game.

All teams work very hard. Most are well-organized. I don't think we can expect to dominate right from the start.

But I agree that we should be cautious and said as much on the thread about the next two games. Let's not get carried away, but I am happy with the last two performances.

Yes it's at least two good halves so far.

Skatzoffc

Sometimes I think people forget there are two teams in the game.

You can't guarantee domination in a game. Generally teams that play us start high tempo, pressing football to stop us playing our way out from the back. They tire and we get stronger second half.

Other teams struggle 1st half but the coach makes changes that stop us controlling the game. People on here then say we played crap 2nd half. When in reality the opposition upped there game and gave us problems.

People need to to remember the opposition plays a part as well. Just saying.

Tbh, I'm happy at the mo and can see us getting stronger as we go on. Would still like to get Hector in January tho.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

filham

Things are looking good right now and we now have two home games in four days and we will all be thinking of  quickly picking up six points that could take us to the top of the table.
Oh dear, the number of times we have been in a similar position and failed.

hovewhite

Teams know how we play so have to expect that and it takes time for better players like TC Ak to assert there skill.Its patience we all need.