Sheff Wed
1-0
Luton
Hull
0-1
Blackburn

WhiteJC

U18s PL Cup Draw

Fulham Under-18s have been drawn in Group C of the PL Cup alongside Sunderland, Norwich and Everton.

The 24 teams have been split into groups of four in which each team from their respective groups will play each other once.

Last season, the Under-18s fell at the first hurdle after losing to Everton, Arsenal and West Brom in a challenging group.

We will face Norwich at their Colney Training Base on Saturday 28th September. We then return home to face Everton on Saturday October 26th, and travel North to Sunderland on Saturday 23rd November.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/august/20/u18-pl-cup-fixtures

WhiteJC

An Inconvenient Truth: We Need to Talk About Cyrus...

Chris Anderson (a former footballer) teamed up with behavioural analyst David Sally in 2013 and wrote a book called 'The Numbers Game". They argued that there are two types of sports: strong link and weak link. In a strong link sport, the most decisive factor is how good your best player is. It's why NBA teams with Lebron inevitably do well. He can run laps of the entire court, or at worst, pull an extra player out of defence. Football, on the other hand, is a weak link sport. What matters most is how good your worst player is.

The simple fact of the matter is that Cyrus Christie is our weak link. If an opposition can pressure our right defender, and sneak a cheap late goal, then it matters less how good Mitrovic is. Barring a renaissance in his career, Christie is not the man we need lining up at right-back if we are aiming for promotion. His case was dealt another blow by a solid Denis Odoi performance last week, and a very promising effort from Steven Sess at Huddersfield.

But that's not the reason we need to talk about Cyrus. The actual truth is far more painful...

A few weeks ago, Ben Jarman wrote an exceptional piece praising Joe Bryan for his honesty about his mental health. It was one of the most read articles in Fulhamish history, and the comments on social media were unanimously in support of Joe. As they should be.

And yet.

In the very next breath, Christie is cursed and slated across Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Even his name on the bench evokes outrage. The inconvenient truth is that Cyrus Christie exposes something we might not like to admit; Hypocrisy, thy name is Fulham fans (this writer included).

If you read, Ben's article and interpreted it to be about Joe Bryan in isolation, you have missed the point. It's not about Joe. It's about footballers. Even the ones you may not like.

It might be easy to show compassion to Bryan, because he's funny on twitter, likes Fortnite and has performed well for us. Let's ignore for the moment that Christie's main social media (and real life) activity is focused on raising money for the disenfranchised and volunteering at Soup Kitchens. After all, unless he knows his way around a meme, that's all irrelevant.

However, if you show compassion and empathy to Joe, and not Cyrus, don't fool yourself into thinking you're a good bloke. Hell, I'm sure Jeffrey Epstein showed compassion to the people he liked. The true measure of a person is how well he treats people when he might not feel like it. This hits at the heart: I had to have a long hard look at myself, and the way I have spoken and written about Christie after reading Ben's article. I didn't come out favourably...

Whilst I believe Cyrus would walk into most Championship sides, I don't think Cyrus Christie should be starting for Fulham – a club gunning for automatic promotion. Coming off the bench, sure. But long term, we need someone else there. You may disagree with me, and that's fine. However, it's not fine to inflame a powder-keg by blowing up on your socials every time his appears on the bench. It's not fine to abuse his sister if you cross paths on matchday. It's not fine to wait till he opens up about his stress and anxiety before we finally cut him a break.

If Joe's wellbeing matters, then Cyrus' wellbeing matters too. You can't have it both ways.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-08-20-an-inconvenient-truth-we-need-to-talk-about-cyrus/

WhiteJC

Watch The Lions at Craven Cottage with iFollow

Purchase a match pass...

Millwall's allocation for Wednesday night's Sky Bet Championship trip to Fulham (kick-off 7.45pm) has SOLD OUT - but supporters can watch exclusive HD four-camera coverage on iFollow!

iFollow gives you the inside track on your club. With a range of benefits including live match video streams, live audio commentary and exclusive club content, sign up today to get closer to the action.

With Neil Harris' side travelling to Craven Cottage, fans in the UK unable to secure a ticket for the trip can purchase a match pass for just Β£10 and receive HD coverage and exclusive full match commentary.

To subscribe to iFollow, purchase a match pass or for more information, click here.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/watch-the-lions-at-craven-cottage-with-ifollow/

WhiteJC

Romeo discusses positive start and looks ahead to Fulham

Defender hungry for the challenge of Wednesday night at Craven Cottage

Mahlon Romeo has spoken of the determined attitude among the Millwall squad, following The Lions' victory and clean sheet against Sheffield Wednesday at The Den last Saturday.

Romeo played a starring role in the win at right-back, against highly-rated winger Kadeem Harris.

"We were raring to go, we couldn't wait to get out there at half-time," Romeo says.

"We were ready for the challenge - we invited it, we were hungry for it. We were hungry to hang onto the lead. When we do our analysis of the opposition, we leave no stone unturned. I knew what sort of challenge I'd be up against, as I've watched Kadeem as a player for a while.

"I knew he was going to stay out wide and receive the ball as much as possible to try and take me on 1v1. I just had to try and make his job as difficult as possible. I won the battle, because we won the game."

Romeo explains an upturn in the vibe and chemistry of the squad around Calmont Road, which is being reflected on the pitch.

"In training, there's definitely a different feel around the club to last season. The camaraderie and standard of training has improved a lot.

"Us defenders do our own analysis with Ads [Adam Barrett] which has clearly helped with the clean sheets we've kept so far, and having the voice of Pearcey in the back line on the pitch and around the training ground has been a great benefit.

"The gaffer made it clear on the first day of pre-season what he wanted, and it's coming to life. We've had to come together as a team, help out one of our teammates in Jed who'd been sent off on Saturday, and there will be times in the future where we have to do the same thing. It's about the togetherness."

The full-back is relishing Wednesday night's visit to Fulham, with The Lions considered underdogs for the all-London contest at Craven Cottage.

"We play in one of the best Leagues on the planet, and if you look at the wages at a lot of clubs and the money involved, I would still say we are underdogs," he says.

"But it's never been something to affect us, in fact I think we thrive off it. Fulham have a great squad, and [Ivan] Cavaleiro and [Anthony] Knockaert are names that a lot of people know. It will be a big challenge, we'll have the right mindset and we'll look to try and get the job done.

"As good as it is to analyse a side, that's just a tool to help you and you have to deliver it out on the pitch. It's not as easy as watching a video on an opponent and playing well against them, but it's a useful utensil that can help us."

Romeo finally touches on the competition for a starting berth in Neil Harris' selection, with new arrival Jason McCarthy rivalling the 23-year-old for a place on the right side of the defence.

"The competition is good to keep us on our toes. Jason is a good guy and great to have around the place.

"The gaffer told us everyone has to fight for their place in the side, and he will at times change things regardless - for example depending on the opposition.

"From an individual point of view, I just have to keep producing performances and stay in the team, and every player will be doing the same."

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/romeo-post-sheff-weds/

WhiteJC

Why Millwall look in better shape to maintain impressive start to the season as Lions go hunting Fulham scalp

MILLWALL 1
Smith 37
SHEFFIELD WED 0
BY RICHARD CAWLEY AT THE DEN

Five clubs level on points at the top of the table – and Millwall are one of them.

It wouldn't be a surprise if two of the early pacesetters, Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion, were there in the final shakedown. Maybe even Swansea City, still receiving Premier League parachute payments, at a push.

But Millwall and Charlton? That wasn't part of the pre-season script. And yet both, tipped to struggle, have made commendable starts to the 2019-20 season.

It feels like this can be a good season for the Lions. On Saturday they played a touch under an hour with 10 men – when you add in stoppage time – but dug in after the dismissal of Jed Wallace to collect a second straight win at The Den.

No wonder manager Neil Harris punched the air twice at the full-time whistle. He had just seen his Millwall side pass a gut check, as the Americans like to say, with flying colours.

The South London club were also undefeated at the same stage of last season – although had banked two points less – but then didn't win again in the Championship until early October. It ended up being a draining and testing slog to safety.

There are only three points separating first to 15th.

Will it be any easier this time around? There are reasons to suggest it could be.

Millwall have a squad which seems more suited to playing in the style that Harris wants.

Matt Smith has two goals in his opening three matches. It took him more than five months to reach that total at QPR last season. Double figures for the big frontman should be easily obtainable under a manager who knows how to best service him.

His matchwinner on Saturday would have been exactly what you visualised him doing when he was announced as a new signing in the summer – powering home a corner.

Connor Mahoney's deliveries at the weekend were testing for Kieren Westwood – at least a couple of them bent uncomfortably under his crossbar. But then the former Bournemouth man mixed it up with a deeper one that drew the Wednesday number one off his line and Smith was there to beat his marker. Bosh.

And if Smith doesn't get you, then Millwall can turn to Tom Bradshaw, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson and Aiden O'Brien. There are so many more options than 12 months ago.

The Lions look far more cohesive as a defensive unit too. It's now two clean sheets from their opening three league games. Contrast that with taking until their 14th fixture to claim a second shutout in the previous campaign.

Sheffield Wednesday predictably piled on the pressure in the second period at The Den – ending up with 21 attempts on goal. But it didn't feel at any stage that Millwall were being overwhelmed.

In fact one of the best chances after the break saw O'Brien's ferocious volley tipped over by Westwood. There was only one time that Bartosz Bialkowski had to dive with real urgency – parrying a Barry Bannan effort with Kadeem Harris, in an offside position, slamming the rebound over.

Alex Pearce and Jake Cooper were first to so many crosses into the box – the former producing a terrific intervention to deny Steven Fletcher a close-range chance.

Mahlon Romeo had his hands full with the livewire Harris, the pair producing one of the standout battles, but the Lions right-back did well to contain some of his threat.

Bialkowski was not unduly concerned in making nine saves, that isn't to say he hasn't been a calmning presence who adds confidence to those in front of him .

I don't think the same could always be said for Jordan Archer, who is still to find a new club following his release in mid-May.

His time at The Den saw some poor goals conceded, little mental lapses that proves costly.

Goalkeeper was a problem position for Millwall and probably the weakest area since they gained promotion – although David Martin did redress some of those issues to a large degree in the 2018-19 run-in.

The spine of any side needs to be strong and the Lions look improved in that regard.

They certainly had to show solidity at the weekend as Wallace was sent off for the second time in his Millwall career.

I don't believe for one moment there was any malicious intent as he slid in on Kieran Lee, just an eagerness to win back possession. But it was a late and poor tackle.

Referee Gavin Ward spoke to his assistant before issuing a straight red.

Wallace will be a miss at Fulham tomorrow night but Millwall have options to cover that. The two-footed Mahoney can easily switch to the right wing – Jiri Skalak, Shane Ferguson or O'Brien looking most likely to fill the free slot.

The Lions are due a result against the west London club, who along with Leeds are the bookies' favourites to win the league.

They were desperately unlucky to lose by the Thames in November 2017 – Oliver Norwood tucking away a penalty after the softest of awards when Rui Fonte went down under minimal contact from Conor McLaughlin.

And while the record books show a 3-0 victory for Fulham at The Den in April 2018, it doesn't fairly reflect when the two form sides in the Championship clashed.

Millwall's pressing and direct approach had Slavisa Jokanovic's side reeling in the first half – Jake Cooper hitting the bar as well as a George Saville goal being disallowed. That was the day that the Lions' play-off surge was halted. Ryan Sessegnon scored 40 seconds after the restart – tucking away after Archer produced a weak parry on Aleksandar Mitrovic's long-distance effort.

When Kevin McDonald slammed in a fine second soon after it was too much for Millwall, who had expended huge energy in compiling a 17-match unbeaten run.

The Lions will know that their best chance of success against Fulham is to play to their strengths – that means crosses into the box and looking to win the ball high up the pitch with the hosts intent on playing out from the back.

Millwall (4-4-2): Bialkowski 8, M Wallace 8, Pearce 9, Cooper 9, Romeo 8, Williams 7, Thompson 7, Mahoney 7 (Leonard 74),Β  J Wallace 5, O'Brien 7 (Ferguson 83), Smith 7 (Bradshaw 52, 6). Not used: Steele, Hutchinson, Skalak, Bodvarsson.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/why-millwall-look-in-better-shape-to-maintain-impressive-start-to-the-season-as-lions-go-hunting-fulham-scalp/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Millwall
WED 21 Aug 2019Β  Β Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Maxime Le Marchand joined Fulham from Nice in July 2018

Recent Fulham signing Josh Onomah could again miss out, with Scott Parker reluctant to make changes after two wins from three league games.

Maxime Le Marchand and Bobby Reid are pushing to start, having come off the bench in Friday's win at Huddersfield.

Millwall are without Jed Wallace, who is banned after a red card during their win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Jiri Skalak or Shane Ferguson could replace Wallace, while Jayson Molumby and Frank Fielding are both still out.

Match facts
Β  Β  Fulham have won their last three games against Millwall in all competitions, most recently a 3-1 win in the League Cup last season.
Β  Β  Since winning 1-0 at Craven Cottage in August 2014, Millwall have failed to score in their last three league matches against Fulham (W0 D1 L2).
Β  Β  Fulham have lost their last 10 London league derbies, losing all 10 last season in the Premier League; their last London derby victory was against Millwall in April 2018.
Β  Β  Millwall have only managed to win one of their last 12 away Championship matches in August (P12 W1 D6 L5), though that victory came at Craven Cottage back in 2014, thanks to a Martyn Woolford winner (1-0).
Β  Β  Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored in his last two league appearances, has scored 14 goals in just 21 starts for Fulham in the Championship, last scoring in three straight matches in the competition back in April 2018, a run which included a goal against Millwall.
Β  Β  Millwall striker Matt Smith has scored as many goals in his last seven league appearances as he managed in his previous 32 Championship matches before this run (four goals).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49340157

WhiteJC

Harris talks ahead of Fulham contest

Manager discusses form, fans and Scott Parker's hosts

Neil Harris is upbeat to continue a good run of form for Millwall as The Lions visit a dangerous Fulham outfit on Wednesday evening.

Harris takes his side to West London to face Scott Parker's side - who are among the promotion favourites in the Sky Bet Championship.

"What a game this is - a London derby, we're in great form and up against a brilliant Fulham side," Harris says.

"Fulham have improved since their opening day defeat at Barnsley, and we have seven points from three games along with a Cup victory. We're facing a team with a lot of Premier League qualities in it.

"My comments about it being a 'travesty' if Fulham weren't to go up were picked up by the press after last Saturday, but what I meant is that they're packed with experience, quality and promotion winners at this level. They have players who have played regularly in the Premier League. We know it's of course going to be a tough game, but it's just another obstacle for our players to overcome. The boys and the fans are looking forward to it, and we just have to go and give a good account of ourselves."

The manager has explained his thought process in preparing to face Fulham, and credits the squad assembled by The Cottagers.

"Fulham have that nous in this division, and it's why I expect them to be the side I've said. They have a good sprinkling of overseas players and an excellent backbone of British players.

"We won't overthink that on Wednesday night - it's still 11v11 on the pitch and we're in good form, so we will have the belief and the confidence in players both individually - some of them are playing right to the best of their ability - and as a group. The group looks very strong and solid. Whatever team I put out there, we're confident they will be at their best.

"Every game is different. I have to look at the strengths and weaknesses going into every match against each opponent, and how we think we can affect them. Obviously you look at previous results against upcoming opponents later on in the season, but right now we're focusing on a visit to Fulham on Wednesday night, alongside the number of games we're currently playing. We have to be sure to get the team selection right."

Harris says the squad can boast a clean bill of health, besides the three-match ban given to Jed Wallace following his dismissal last Saturday.

"There aren't any new injury concerns. Jed is suspended as we know - for a three-game period - and we've not appealed the decision.

"To overturn these calls, you have to prove that the referee has made a genuine mistake, and there can be a lot of debate surrounding it - we didn't think we could definitively prove that the officials have made a genuine error. It was a 50/50 call, they went red, and we still won the game.

"We have the after-effect now of Jed missing the next three games, but we have a fully fit squad besides that."

The boss finally credits the support of the fans so far this season and expects an excellent reception on the night in West London.

"The fans will get behind the team as they have done in every game this season so far.

"They really made a great atmosphere on Saturday before the game, during the first half when we weren't playing so well, and then rallied behind the 10 men after the red card to see the game out. They were great, they carried the team, and credit goes to the display of the fans as well as the players.

"If we can recreate that at Craven Cottage, which we will do, then the fans will really enjoy it. They'll see a very good Fulham side and an in-form, dedicated Millwall team battle, and it should be a cracking atmosphere."

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/harris-pre-fulham/

WhiteJC

Millwall manager discusses midfield options with Jed Wallace banned for Fulham clash

NEIL Harris has to decide between Jiri Skalak, Shane Ferguson and Aiden O'Brien to replace suspended winger Jed Wallace against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening.

Wallace will serve a three-match ban after his red card against Sheffield Wednesday, also including in the league at Middlesbrough on Saturday and at Oxford United in the second round of the EFL Cup next Tuesday.

Millwall decided not to appeal referee Gavin Ward's decision after Wallace's late tackle on Kieran Lee.

"There are various ways that we can play and that's the beauty of the new-look squad. There are various shapes we can play," Harris said.

"In a four-man midfield Jiri looked fantastic pre-season. We know Shane's qualities in that position and Aiden played there for four years, so lots of options for us.

"What you have to do with the red card is prove that the referee got it wrong. As much as we thought that on another day with another referee it could have been a yellow card, we didn't feel there was enough evidence to dispute it was a tackle that the referee got the decision wrong."

Millwall are unbeaten in four games this season, after Saturday's 1-0 win over the Owls with 10 men for more than a half.

Defender Mahlon Romeo revealed the players relished the challenge ahead of the second half at the weekend.

Harris said: "It's a sign of confidence and belief in the shape and organisation that we have. We're a team that's used to not having the ball, we have to stand strong.

"It's also a mentality thing, a siege mentality. We knew it would be a struggle at times and difficult to get up the pitch and away from our goal to put pressure on them. But we felt quite reliable in the way we could defend. The players saw it as just another challenge.

"At times last year it was almost a feeling of relief coming of the pitch. This was a real sense of achievement. I said to the club press after the game it was probably one of my most pleasing wins as a manager just because of the way we had to do it.

"It wasn't very good, the first half hour, we gave away the ball far too cheaply. We never looked like conceding a goal but we weren't very good with the ball. I wanted to focus on the positives afterwards and saw what a positive display it was. It was very impressive."

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/72817-millwall-manager-discusses-midfield-options-with-jed-wallace-banned-for-fulham-clash

WhiteJC

Β Fulham vs Millwall preview: Championship clash live on Sky Sports Football Red Button
Watch live on Sky Sports Football Red Button and the Sky Sports app from 7.40pm on Wednesday; Kick-off is at 7.45pm

Fulham face Millwall in the Sky Bet Championship on Wednesday evening, live on Sky Sports.

Coverage gets underway live on Sky Sports Football Red Button from 7.40pm, while kick-off is at 7.45pm.

Team news
Josh Onomah could come into contention as Fulham seek to maintain their strong start to the new Sky Bet Championship season at home to Millwall. Onomah joined the Cottagers as part of the deal that took Ryan Sessegnon to Tottenham but has missed the last two games as he works on his fitness.

The 22-year-old joins a fully fit squad, with boss Scott Parker loathe to make changes after recording two wins from three league games. However, Maxime Le Marchand and Bobby Reid are both also pushing for places after making late substitute appearances in Friday's win at Huddersfield.

Lions boss Neil Harris is without Jed Wallace as his side look to remain unbeaten. Wallace was issued a straight red card during Saturday's win over Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall have opted not to appeal against the ruling.

Harris has identified either Jiri Skalak or Shane Ferguson as the players most likely to step in and replace Wallace. Jayson Molumby is not considered quite match-fit while goalkeeper Frank Fielding is recovering from a quad operation.

Recent form
Two of the league's in-form clubs meet at Craven Cottage, both having won their last two fixtures. Fulham were given a baptism of fire on their return to the second tier, as they were beaten 1-0 by newly-promoted Barnsley, but they've since bounced back with a 2-0 win over Blackburn and a 2-1 victory at Huddersfield, the latter of which resulted in the sacking of Jan Siewert.

Millwall are one of five sides leading the pack at the Championship summit, perhaps surprising a few in the process. The Den is such a tough ground to go to and the Lions have capitalised on this, grinding out 1-0 wins against Preston and Sheffield Wednesday. But in between those two, they've played West Brom twice, beating them once in the Carabao Cup, just three days after a draw in the league.

Talking point - Aleksander Mitrovic's goals continue to be key
His 11-goal haul may not have been enough to save Fulham from the depths of Premier League relegation last season, but Aleksandar Mitrovic's goals are sure to have an overwhelming influence as Scott Parker's Whites look to bounce back to the top flight at the first time of asking. During his initial loan spell from Newcastle in the second half of 2017/18, the Serb picked up back-to-back player of the month awards in March and April, scoring 12 goals in 20 appearances all told.

His deadly ability in the Championship will, no doubt, give opposing defenders nightmares throughout the next nine months and he's already set about instilling fear; after a tough opener against Barnsley, Mitrovic - who signed fresh terms on a five-year deal in July - has scored in Fulham's last two league games.

Opta stats
Fulham have won their last three games against Millwall in all competitions, most recently a 3-1 win in the League Cup last season.

Since winning 1-0 at Craven Cottage in August 2014, Millwall have failed to score in their last three league matches against Fulham (W0 D1 L2).

Fulham have lost their last 10 London league derbies, losing all 10 last season in the Premier League. Their last London derby victory was against Millwall in April 2018.

Millwall have only managed to win one of their last 12 away Championship matches in August (P12 W1 D6 L5), though that victory came at Craven Cottage back in 2014, thanks to a Martyn Woolford winner (1-0).

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored in his last two league appearances, has scored 14 goals in just 21 starts for Fulham in the Championship, last scoring in three straight matches in the competition back in April 2018, a run which included a goal against Millwall.

Millwall striker Matt Smith has scored has scored as many goals in his last seven league appearances as he managed in his previous 32 Championship matches before this run (four goals).

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-millwall/preview/409391

WhiteJC

2 changes: The Fulham XI that Parker should play v Millwall tomorrow

After an initial stumble, Fulham have got off to a good start to life in the Championship and will view the visit of Millwall as a winnable game.

The Lions, however, will be high on confidence after the start they have made. They remain unbeaten in all competitions and last weekend brought Sheffield Wednesday back down to earth despite playing with ten men for the majority of the match.

The same could happen to Fulham, so it is important Scott Parker keeps his squad on his toes, and he should make changes despite earning a 2-1 win over Huddersfield.

So far this season The Cottagers have been effective without particularly impressing, and their goals have been a mix of wonder strikes and fortune – with the two goals against The Terriers an example of both.

In addition, Millwall possess a different threat to what they have faced so far. They are a team full of aggression, hard work and have that physical edge, all of which are great traits to have and make them very difficult to play against.

They know what it takes to put in a back to the wall performance and if they play for a draw they are quite likely to get it, which means Fulham must compete on the same level whilst adding a bit of invention.

Fulham have quality throughout the team, but here are some changes Parker should make to his starting line-up to combat specific threats.

As well as he played, and despite how good it is to see young layers being given a chance, it would perhaps be unfair to start Steven Sessegnon again, particularly as he will come up against Matt Smith.

That means that Cyrus Christie should earn a recall. He is a lot more experienced but would still be able to provide an attacking threat, and keep the likes of Shane Ferguson confined to a defensive role.

Another decision Parker should make which could surprise a few is to replace Ivan Cavaleiro with Aboubakar Kamara.

Cavaleiro may have scored a wonderful winning goal on Friday, but he was mostly anonymous in the match and hasn't yet hit the heights he did at Wolves.

Kamara, as Fulham fans know too well, is a player who can blow hot and cold, but he would be better suited to the physical battle Millwall will bring and his unpredictably and direct style will unsettle their back four.

Having him in the side will open up space for his teammates, and that will be key to getting a result against Neil Harris' side, who will likely sit back and defend deep, and in doing so clutter the middle of the pitch.

Aside from that, the team should remain the same as it has done well so far, particularly the defence which is now looking assured with the permanent trio of Ream, Mawson and Bettinelli as the spine – and Arter covering in front, who has been excellent since his arrival.

It is expected to be a tight match given Millwall's style, and therefore Parker will be hopeful his key players come to the fore, with Knockaert and Cairney capable of creating something out of nowhere, and Mitrovic buzzing around the box to finish off any chances.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-changes-the-fulham-xi-that-parker-should-play-v-millwall-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Millwall won't compromise aggressive approach despite risk of Fulham theatrics

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris has promised his side will be "tough and aggressive" as they aim to continue their unbeaten start to the season when they travel to Fulham on Wednesday evening.

Harris said the Lions wouldn't change their approach in west London against Scott Parker's side.

Aleksander Mitrovic was roundly criticised for feigning injury at Huddersfield last Friday. The striker clutched his face in an attempt to get Rajiv van La Parra sent off in Fulham's 2-1 win but he escaped sanction.

Harris didn't pick out Mitrovic for criticism when asked about the incident this week, but wants tougher sanctions for players who try to con the referee.

"We don't compromise in what we do," Harris said. "We didn't get many red cards last year and bookings, compared to many teams. But we are very tough and aggressive in our approach, and that won't change.

"It's certainly not Mitrovic or Fulham, this is an English football problem. Play-acting, diving, conning, cheating, whatever word you want to use, is not punished a lot times or punished with a yellow card during the game.

"What you're doing is encouraging someone who's cheated once to do it again next game. I'd support [Burnley boss] Sean Dyche's comments after the game at the weekend [against Arsenal], let's stamp it out.

"We're trying to evolve the game, make it quicker, we're trying to set examples. Jed [Wallace] has got a red card at the weekend for a late tackle. That's the rule, that's fine. We're not moaning and I haven't come out and complained about the referee or the governing bodies.

"We're trying to show morally to youngsters coming through and grassroots football what's right and what's wrong. You can't make those challenges anymore or use violent conduct. But diving and feigning injury, that's alright? How does that help officials, how does that help parents, how does it help kids on Saturday mornings in junior games?

"We've really got to look at that one. We've got a beautiful game, the best league in the world, let's stamp this out."

Image: Millwall FC

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/72821-millwall-wont-compromise-aggressive-approach-despite-risk-of-fulham-theatrics

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Millwall: Neil Harris aware of 'Premier League qualities' as the Lions head to the Cottage

Aleksandar Mitrovic and Joe Bryan of Fulham celebrate after victory over Huddersfield Town on Friday night ( George Wood/Getty Images )

Millwall manager Neil Harris knows his side will be up against a team "with a lot of Premier League qualities" when they take on Fulham at Craven Cottage on Wednesday.

The Lions have made a strong unbeaten start to the new campaign, but Harris is under no illusions about the size of the task they face against Scott Parker's men.

"What a game this is - a London derby, we're in great form and up against a brilliant Fulham side," Harris said on his club's official website.

"Fulham have improved since their opening day defeat at Barnsley, and we have seven points from three games along with a (League) Cup victory. We're facing a team with a lot of Premier League qualities in it."

Harris had previously said it would be a "travesty" if Fulham were not to be promoted and he explained that comment was meant as a reflection on the quality of players they have at their disposal.

He added: "What I meant is that they're packed with experience, quality and promotion winners at this level.

"They have players who have played regularly in the Premier League. We know it's of course going to be a tough game, but it's just another obstacle for our players to overcome. The boys and the fans are looking forward to it, and we just have to go and give a good account of ourselves.

"Fulham have that nous in this division, and it's why I expect them to be the side I've said. They have a good sprinkling of overseas players and an excellent backbone of British players."

Millwall will be without Jed Wallace who was sent off in Saturday's 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday, while Fulham could give a debut to Josh Onomah following his arrival from Tottenham.

Reporting by PA

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-vs-millwall-neil-harris-aware-of-premier-league-qualities-as-the-lions-head-to-the-cottage-a4217851.html

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines: Fulham

MILLWALL continued their 100 per cent home record and unbeaten start to the 2019-20 season on Saturday after ending Sheffield Wednesday's perfect start.

The Lions played almost 50 minutes with 10 men against the Owls but an outstanding defensive performance saw them hold their 1-0 lead and make it two wins from two at The Den and two clean sheets for the season, something that took 15 games last season to achieve.

The Lions are back on the road this week and face two tough tests. The first of those is Wednesday night as Neil Harris and his charges make the short trip to Craven Cottage to face Fulham, who have won their last two games in the league.

Alex Grace spoke to Fulham fan Jack Collins from The Fulhamish Podcast this week.

Twitter: @jackjcollins @FulhamishPod

Why do you support Fulham?

Been in the family since my Grandad wandered over to west London from Cork in the 1950s. Dad took me when I was three, got me my first season ticket at five, and let the black-and-white bug hook another generation in my brother and I. That whole side of the family is Fulham, so it's a family affair still.

What has been your favourite season following the Cottagers?

The 2009-10 Europa League adventure. Knocking out Roma, Shakhtar Donetsk, Wolfsburg, Hamburg and Juventus on the way to a European final is the kind of thing reserved for other teams, not for Fulham, but it happened, and it happened in my lifetime. Special moments that probably won't happen again.

And the worst?

First year back down in the Championship where we very nearly got relegated. I'm too young to remember the darkest days where the club nearly merged with QPR and we nearly lost the Cottage, but that season, the first that I could remember outside the top flight and just being absolutely awful from start to finish, was atrocious from a footballing perspective.

Is Scott Parker the right man for the job?

He's got a lot to learn but I don't see why not – he's already shown briefly that he's learning from his mistakes and that he can adapt in this league, which is going to be crucial. It's always a risk having a rookie in the dugout, but if Scott can take lessons from the managers who he has learned under – Mauricio Pochettino, Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri – there's no reason he can't be a success.

Did all of the new signings last season cause a disruption to the team that may have contributed to relegation ?

Plenty of things went wrong last season, not just the new signings. We were unlucky in some regards, like Alfie Mawson's injury, and losing to a Burnley side who didn't register a shot on target.

Ultimately, the reason I feel we were relegated was the appointment of Ranieri to replace Jokanovic. Claudio tried to make us into a defensive unit to shore up the back, but didn't realise he had players who wanted to play in possession and work the ball around. It was a match made in hell, and his inability to adapt to the squad around him was the biggest contributor to our downfall.

What have you made of Fulham's summer business?

What was asked for was some Championship experience to help us look to promotion again, and that's exactly what's been brought in with Knockaert, Cavaleiro, Reid, Reed, Arter and Onomah.

I think we could have done with one more defender but the emergence of Steven Sessegnon as a first-team player could put those fears to rest. I think everyone is mostly pretty happy with the squad we've put together.

What are your expectations for the season?

With the attacking talent on show, we'd be mad not to be looking towards promotion again this season, though expecting anything is dangerous in a league as demanding and difficult as the Championship.

I hope that if Parker can continue to grow then we'll be in the mix come May, and with that front three of Mitrovic, Knockaert and Cavaleiro, we're always going to have a shot at scoring goals, and thus winning games.

What have you made of Millwall's summer business?

Matt Smith was always well liked at Fulham, but never really fitted tactically, and it feels like he's finally found a club where he can lead the line and who will play to his aerial strengths. I think he'll be a massive success at The Den and I'm delighted for him (apart from when he scores on Wednesday night!).

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson is a very decent back-up/partner for him. Frank Fielding and Alex Pearce are good additions with Championship experience.

But the one I'm excited to watch is Connor Mahoney. Whole lot of talent there, and a good delivery from what I've seen – was surprised Bournemouth didn't loan him out this season to be honest. Think it's been a good summer down at Millwall, lots of new names who should fit nicely.

What are your thoughts on Millwall boss Neil Harris?

He always has a lot to say when Fulham are in town. Quite the mind games merchant is your gaffer, but someone who I have a lot of respect for.

The year that Fulham went up I thought Millwall were good enough to be in the play-offs and I was very glad that we didn't have to face you because he'd overseen a really good unit that was far more than the sum of its parts.

Harris knows his stuff, he's a tough cookie and he plays to his strengths constantly – I think he's a very decent man to have in the dugout.

Who do the Lions need to watch out for on Wednesday?

I've mentioned them already, but there's an abundance of talent in the Fulham attacking corps. Knockaert is the one getting people off seats already but it was Cavaleiro who popped up with a stunning winner against Huddersfield and you'll be well aware of what Mitrovic can do as well.

Behind them, if Tom Cairney can get into his stride he's one of the best in the business at this level and Bobby Reid will probably come off the bench looking for his first goal in black and white – he's shown he's got the ability as well.

Will you be at the game on Wednesday evening?

I will indeed. Our first game under the lights at the Cottage this season, there's nowhere else I'd rather be on a Wednesday night than tucked up in the Hammersmith End.

What is your predicted Fulham starting XI and formation?

4-3-3: Bettinelli; Sessegnon, Ream, Mawson, Bryan; Arter, Johansen, Cairney; Cavaleiro, Mitrovic, Knockaert.

Finally, a score prediction?

I 100 per cent think Matt Smith is scoring against his old club, but I hope that we'll get the early impetus and be able to get a few ourselves. My heart says 3-1 Fulham, my head says a far nervier 2-1 win – just about surviving a last-minute aerial bombardment.

https://www.newsatden.co.uk/72827-behind-enemy-lines-fulham-3

WhiteJC

Fulham new boy Josh Onomah ready for senior debut after scoring for U23s against West Brom

Eager for debut: Josh Onomah could make his first senior Fulham appearance on Wednesday night ( Getty Images )

Josh Onomah is pushing to make his Fulham debut this week after playing for the club's under-23s on Monday.

Onomah is a new signing at Craven Cottage after joining the club on transfer deadline day as part of the deal that took Ryan Sessegnon to Tottenham.

The 22-year-old has left Spurs for Fulham in a bid to secure more first-team football, but he is yet to feature so far.

The midfielder has been involved in full training, though, while he also played for the U23s on Monday.

Onomah came through 45 minutes against West Brom's U23s at Motspur Park, getting on the scoresheet in the process.

He is now hoping to finally make his Fulham debut this week and could even get the chance on Wednesday night against Millwall.

Manager Scott Parker is reluctant to make changes to the side that beat Huddersfield 2-1 on Friday.

However, Onomah could secure himself a spot on the bench. If not, he could make his debut on Saturday at home to Nottingham Forest.

Fulham have a near fully-fit squad for Wednesday's visit of Millwall as they bid to make it three wins on the spin.

"We are all good," said Parker. "Denis Odoi is probably the only one who is struggling a bit at the moment as he tries to get over a bit of a knee issue.

"Other than that, we are fit and well."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-new-boy-josh-onomah-ready-for-senior-debut-after-scoring-for-u23s-against-west-brom-a4217921.html

WhiteJC

Summer signing pushing for Fulham debut as early as tonight

Midfielder Josh Onomah is pushing to make his Fulham debut at some point this week, the Evening Standard have reported.

The 22-year-old joined Fulham from Tottenham at the start of August, as part of a deal that saw Ryan Sessegnon move in the other direction, although Onomah has yet to make a senior appearance since his move to Fulham.

He has however been training with the first-team squad, and scored for the club's Under 23s side as he played 45 minutes of their meeting with West Brom on Monday.

It is thought that Onomah is now pushing for a place in the squad when they host Millwall on Wednesday night, although he could be forced to settle for a place on the bench, with manager Scott Parker reluctant to make changes to the side that beat Huddersfield Town 2-1 on Friday night.

That could mean that Onomah is forced to wait until the weekend for his debut, with Fulham taking on Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

After losing their opening game of the season away at Barnsley, Fulham have bounced back with wins over Blackburn and Huddersfield in next two Championship games, and currently sit ninth in the early Championship standings.

The Verdict

I think there could still be something of a waiting game for Onomah here.

Already this season, Fulham's midfield three of Harry Arter, Stefan Johansen and captain Tom Cairney look to have established a pretty solid partnership in the centre of the park for Fulham, which Parker may be reluctant to break up.

With the attacking threat provided by the front three of Mitrovic, Knockaert and Cavaleiro as well, I can't really see Parker wanting to drop one of them in order to make space in the midfield for someone such as Onomah.

It appears therefore, as though the pressure will really be on Onomah to take his chance when he gets it, although you imagine it will be a pretty nice feeling for Fulham fans to know that they have a player of his ability in reserve for when they need him.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/summer-signing-pushing-for-fulham-debut-as-early-as-tonight/

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest will face 'best team in the league' on Saturday

One Championship boss claims Fulham are the Championship's top side

Aleksander Mitrovic (centre) celebrates his goal at Huddersfield (Image: Graham Crowther/PhotoEye.co.uk)

Millwall boss Neil Harris has declared Wednesday's opponents Fulham "the best team in the league" ahead of their Championship clash at Craven Cottage.

The Lions have made a strong unbeaten start to the new campaign, but Harris is under no illusions about the size of the task they face against Scott Parker's men, who then face Sabri Lamouchi's Nottingham Forest at the Cottage on Saturday.

"What a game this is - a London derby, we're in great form and up against a brilliant Fulham side," the ex-Reds striker said.

"Fulham are a top side. If you look at their team on paper - and bench - they are the best team in the league.

Ivan Cavaleiro celebrates his goal for Fulham (Image: Graham Crowther/PhotoEye.co.uk)

"If they don't get in the top two it will be a travesty. We'll be the underdogs - not fancied. People will be writing us off.

"Fulham have improved since their opening day defeat at Barnsley, and we have seven points from three games along with a Cup victory. We're facing a team with a lot of Premier League qualities in it. They have players who have played regularly in the Premier League.Β 

"We know it's of course going to be a tough game, but it's just another obstacle for our players to overcome. The boys and the fans are looking forward to it, and we just have to go and give a good account of ourselves.

"Fulham have that nous in this division, and it's why I expect them to be the side I've said. They have a good sprinkling of overseas players and an excellent backbone of British players."

Before the Reds travel to West London, they face Charlton at The Valley on Wednesday night, looking for their first away win of the campaign which could move them into the top six, albeit at a very early stage.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/nottingham-forest-face-best-team-3232661

WhiteJC

Millwall Tickets

There's still time to secure your seat for this evening's London derby against Millwall (7:45pm kick-off) - so be sure not to miss out!

Fulham will be looking to build on their last two results having defeated and Huddersfield Town on Friday evening and Blackburn Rovers last time out at Craven Cottage, so be sure to bring your support to SW6 this evening.

Tickets for tonight's match are on sale to supporters with Booking History and fans able to secure up to four tickets each, with prices from Β£30 adults and Β£10 juniors.

Supporters can secure their seats online, by calling by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Supporters are reminded that the Putney End blocks P1, P2, P3, P4 are designated home seating areas. Away supporters identified in home areas at Craven Cottage will be ejected.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/august/21/millwall-tickets

WhiteJC

Preview | Fulham v Millwall

Lions travel across London

Millwall's Sky Bet Championship campaign continues on Wednesday night as The Lions travel across London to face Fulham (kick-off 7.45pm).

After a heroic defensive display saw Neil Harris' 10-man side keep up their unbeaten record with a 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday at The Den on Saturday, Millwall perhaps now face the toughest test so far against Scott Parker's promotion favourites.

The boss will be forced into at least one change to his starting XI, as Jed Wallace begins the first of a three-match ban following his first-half red card against The Owls. Jiri Skalak or Shane Ferguson are expected to deputise, but options are there should Harris wish to chop and change.

The Lions' allocation for the trip to Craven Cottage is SOLD OUT, but if you are unable to make it to West London, full match commentary will be available on iFollow Millwall, with coverage beginning at around 7.40pm. Alongside international subscribers, UK based subscribers to iFollow will also be able to watch this particular fixture by purchasing a match pass. For more information and to purchase, click the relevant links.

Mahlon Romeo and the manager have been speaking to millwallfc.co.uk in the build-up to Wednesday's fixture, whilst our opposition preview can be seen here.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/preview--fulham-v-millwall/

WhiteJC

The Opposition: Fulham

The lowdown on Wednesday night's hosts

Millwall are back on the road this Wednesday night (kick-off 7.45pm), contesting the first of three away games in six days as The Lions visit Craven Cottage to face Fulham. One point separates the sides in the Sky Bet Championship, with Neil Harris' men sitting encouragingly in the top six at this early stage of the season – Fulham not far behind in ninth position.

The Lions remain unbeaten heading across to West London, with victories at The Den over Preston North End and Sheffield Wednesday, coupled alongside a League draw at West Bromwich Albion and a Carabao Cup victory over The Baggies. Scott Parker's Fulham began the season with a surprise defeat at Barnsley, but redeemed their opening-day hiccup with victories over Blackburn Rovers and Huddersfield Town.

Fulham spent last season in the Premier League after Wembley success in the 2018 Play-Off Final over Aston Villa. Villa and The Cottagers however swapped places in the summer as Parker's side – also managed during last season by Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri – suffered a frustrating relegation totalling just 26 points, after spending significant funds to strengthen the squad.

The West Londoners secured several loan deals to build a very strong Championship side, with exciting wide players Ivan Cavaleiro and Anthony Knockaert making the step down from the top flight. Bobby Reid, Parker's brother-in-law Harry Arter, and Harrison Reed also joined the club, alongside a permanent deal for Josh Onomah from Tottenham Hotspur. Several players departed following the club's drop, including young talent Ryan Sessegnon for a Β£25m fee, along with high-profile players Ryan Babel, Jean Michael Seri and Andre Anguissa.

Scott Parker signed a two-year managerial contract at Craven Cottage in the summer after his initial caretaker spell towards the end of last campaign. The former Cottagers midfielder spent time as first-team coach under Jokanovic, following his maiden coaching role with Spurs' Under 18 side. Parker was well-known during his playing days as a tenacious central midfield player, representing five London clubs as well as Newcastle and Norwich and earning 18 senior England caps. After coming through the ranks at Charlton Athletic, Parker played 145 first-team games at The Valley and also represented West Ham United on 129 occasions. The former midfield man featured for England at Euro 2012, and at just 38 is already building respect in his coaching career.

Millwall have won 14 past meetings with Fulham – our opponents winning 19 along with 12 draws. The last contest between the sides was won by The Cottagers in September last year – a 3-1 Carabao Cup defeat for The Lions. Our last victory at Craven Cottage came in August 2014 – a 1-0 success with Martyn Woolford on the scoresheet.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/the-opposition-fulham/