watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next 5 League Games.

Started by FFC1987, August 24, 2019, 10:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

We have Cardiff (A) WestBrom (H) Sheffield Wed (A) Wigan (H) and Reading (A).

This season, we lost to Barnsley (A) and Forest (H) so we need to make up those points in games we would normally expect to draw/lose in.

I'm struggling to see us getting many points from these next 5 fixtures bar Wigan. We're currently 4 points off Leeds and 2 off second and I think this will potentially grow during these next 5 fixtures. I'm basing that on predicting we'll pick up 4, maybe 5 points from these 5 games.

Be interested in hearing where others think we'll be at.

Statto

IMO we can and will take 8-9 pts from that lot. Also reckon the top 2 will drop points, especially Charlton who will start sinking like a stone any second now

The Rock

77 percent possession yet scalped on the day while the team is still learning their way should be pretty telling. Some difficult fixtures, but we have the talent and I think they have the confidence which is the key. This isn't Man City away kind of fixtures.

Woolly Mammoth

No point in forecasting, it never works out the way it is expected. Just worry about the next game, which is the most important.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Tabby

I don't think any of the teams in the list have been impressive enough to be rated so highly. Wins should always be the aim.

It is pretty incredible what a single loss can do to the mood of this forum. Suddenly we're basically relegation fodder.

MJG

My preseason target was 16 - 20 points at the ten game stage to have us 6th or 2nd and I'd expect us to get similar to what Statto said, 8 to 9 points from those games, 7 would be the lowest you really want and 6 would be below par.
Just the views of a long term fan

One Martin Thomas

We'll definitely finish top 6 but to come into the top 2 we have to get the 1-0 wins and that worries me with our team. Can we win ugly when necessary ? Defence needs to grow as a unit...

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on August 24, 2019, 11:45:56 PM
I don't think any of the teams in the list have been impressive enough to be rated so highly. Wins should always be the aim.

It is pretty incredible what a single loss can do to the mood of this forum. Suddenly we're basically relegation fodder.

Whilst I agree, the mood can change, I don't see how anything I've posted would suggest we're relegation fodder. It was more of a concern to finishing top 2 than anywhere near bottom.... Regarding teams and being impressive enough, I didn't think Forest or Barnsley had shown anything too impressive either but they still beat us.

Fernhurst

Quote from: The Rock on August 24, 2019, 11:16:05 PM
77 percent possession yet scalped on the day while the team is still learning their way should be pretty telling. Some difficult fixtures, but we have the talent and I think they have the confidence which is the key. This isn't Man City away kind of fixtures.

Did anyone sense a bit of cockiness? 77% possession but all that matters is the result in the Sunday papers today. As MJG has pointed out in the past going to take a few weeks of bettering the results of those above us to repair the damage of yesterday.
Not sure what Arter meant this week by saying "Don't know what deal you think you have but the only way I can stay next season is getting promotion"?
Does that mean ---- Its the only way you can afford me?

Pure, unadulterated, fast, goal scoring football Fulham. ----- Lets be avin you.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 24, 2019, 11:39:44 PM
No point in forecasting, it never works out the way it is expected. Just worry about the next game, which is the most important.

Yes,one game at a time,and never worry what the likes of Leeds and co are doing,its what we do that counts...

MJG

Things can change quickly.

Leeds sit top on 13 points after 5 games, just as they sat top last year after 5 games on 13 points.

Then last season they picked up just 6 points in next 5.

The table is starting to take shape and over next 5 we will see the real challengers find their way.

Norwich were 18th at 5 games and 5th at 10.  Lots still to play off.

Just the views of a long term fan

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 24, 2019, 10:41:17 PM
We have Cardiff (A) WestBrom (H) Sheffield Wed (A) Wigan (H) and Reading (A).

This season, we lost to Barnsley (A) and Forest (H) so we need to make up those points in games we would normally expect to draw/lose in.

I'm struggling to see us getting many points from these next 5 fixtures bar Wigan. We're currently 4 points off Leeds and 2 off second and I think this will potentially grow during these next 5 fixtures. I'm basing that on predicting we'll pick up 4, maybe 5 points from these 5 games.

Be interested in hearing where others think we'll be at.

5 points from 5 games?   You really don't rate this squad at all huh?    You don't think Fulham are a better side than all of those teams?  Hell, even if we win 2  games that's already 6 points.

SuffolkWhite

The Mantra has to be one game at a time and I always say this every season.

Interestingly I think we have a little of the same problem the Slav tactics had the season we got promoted. The team need to gel and teams will hassle our defence while we continue to play out from the back, and if they get the lead then they will sit and say bring it on and hope to keep us out. The first goal is critical in any game but the way we play maybe more so, as the other team then has to ty and score which then opens them up.

Parker was right as are many on here, you can't start a game slowley. Ream said as much also.

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on August 25, 2019, 08:57:46 AM
The Mantra has to be one game at a time and I always say this every season.

Interestingly I think we have a little of the same problem the Slav tactics had the season we got promoted. The team need to gel and teams will hassle our defence while we continue to play out from the back, and if they get the lead then they will sit and say bring it on and hope to keep us out. The first goal is critical in any game but the way we play maybe more so, as the other team then has to ty and score which then opens them up.

Parker was right as are many on here, you can't start a game slowly. Ream said as much also.
Agree with this and also the notion that SP is seeing the negatives as early as he sees the positives.  One game at a time please.

Tabby

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 25, 2019, 07:31:11 AM

Whilst I agree, the mood can change, I don't see how anything I've posted would suggest we're relegation fodder. It was more of a concern to finishing top 2 than anywhere near bottom.... Regarding teams and being impressive enough, I didn't think Forest or Barnsley had shown anything too impressive either but they still beat us.

Do you think this Forest team and Barnsley were unbeatable teams going in to it? From your estimations we'll win against Wigan and not be able to beat any of Cardiff (who just drew 0-0 to Blackburn who were deemed relegation fodder after our game), West Brom (who lost and drew to the same Millwall that was apparently too dire to be counted for us), Sheffield Wednesday (who also lost to the oh so dire Millwall) and Reading who have been blowing hot and cold this season.

There are no insurmountable teams in this division.

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on August 25, 2019, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 25, 2019, 07:31:11 AM

Do you think this Forest team and Barnsley were unbeatable teams going in to it? From your estimations we'll win against Wigan and not be able to beat any of Cardiff (who just drew 0-0 to Blackburn who were deemed relegation fodder after our game), West Brom (who lost and drew to the same Millwall that was apparently too dire to be counted for us), Sheffield Wednesday (who also lost to the oh so dire Millwall) and Reading who have been blowing hot and cold this season.

There are no insurmountable teams in this division.

I'm unsure who you're Arguing with. I expect us to not be beaten by Barnsley and Forest, to at least pick up points if our aim is to be top 2. I never slagged Millwall off and said they'd be a challenging fixture or at least respected, most pretty much every team in this division. Reading have impressed me this year and have some form so I expect them to be difficult and Cardiff/Wednesday are never easy fixtures. I'd give these teams as much respect as say Forest and after being beaten by them at home, I'm extending the respect. It was awesome to win three on the bounce and MJG makes a good point here and in another post, the next 5 games will start to shape the table, but it still doesn't lie, we can be an unplayable team or a team extremely vulnerable. Having beaten 3 sides which we should be doing anyway, and getting none from 2 fixtures we should be winning, I don't think it's disrespectful to give the next 5 fixtures some respect. I rate this team, and squad, but I was always nervous for Parker, we have one of the most expensive squads and expectations are through the roof, but we do need better results especially at home and especially against teams who will fighting top 6.

bigalffc

Leeds will sink like a stone in the 2nd half of the season
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Tabby

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 25, 2019, 11:20:53 AM

I'm unsure who you're Arguing with. I expect us to not be beaten by Barnsley and Forest, to at least pick up points if our aim is to be top 2. I never slagged Millwall off and said they'd be a challenging fixture or at least respected, most pretty much every team in this division. Reading have impressed me this year and have some form so I expect them to be difficult and Cardiff/Wednesday are never easy fixtures. I'd give these teams as much respect as say Forest and after being beaten by them at home, I'm extending the respect. It was awesome to win three on the bounce and MJG makes a good point here and in another post, the next 5 games will start to shape the table, but it still doesn't lie, we can be an unplayable team or a team extremely vulnerable. Having beaten 3 sides which we should be doing anyway, and getting none from 2 fixtures we should be winning, I don't think it's disrespectful to give the next 5 fixtures some respect. I rate this team, and squad, but I was always nervous for Parker, we have one of the most expensive squads and expectations are through the roof, but we do need better results especially at home and especially against teams who will fighting top 6.

You're vastly overrating these teams if you have a hard time seeing any more than a draw, or maybe 2 out of those 4 games, which you do by your own admission.

Do you think it is reasonable to expect to lose 3 out of 4 games against Forest on yesterday's display?

FFC1987

Quote from: Tabby on August 25, 2019, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on August 25, 2019, 11:20:53 AM

You're vastly overrating these teams if you have a hard time seeing any more than a draw, or maybe 2 out of those 4 games, which you do by your own admission.

Do you think it is reasonable to expect to lose 3 out of 4 games against Forest on yesterday's display?

Overrating them, or underrating us, maybe? We'll soon see. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility to lose 3 of those games based on Barnsley and Forest. We could well turn over all 5 and play like we did with Millwall, we're more than capable. Im just concerned about consistency for a top 2 team is all.

FFC1987

So first fixture of the 5 is a draw. Takes us 3 points from both first, second and third. Pending results today we could be out of playoffs and 6 points from top 2/3. Could we at the very least admit we've had a poor start from our relatively ok on paper fixtures? I'm still very concerned to be honest.