Main Menu

Expected to slip up

Started by Rodshig, August 26, 2019, 01:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

Quote from: Matt10 on September 16, 2019, 12:56:31 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 16, 2019, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 16, 2019, 11:44:13 AM
Surely if the squad is as poor as you made out in your original post, it won't be Parker's fault if we don't go up.

Or am I missing something?

But the side is plainly good enough certainly to be top 6, possibly top 2. The problem is our painfully slow transition to our forwards from midfield does not suit or benefit our front 3 who have a packed and organised defence in front every time they receive the ball, due to the way we play we either need to score a perfect goal or spectacular strike. Parker worryingly refers to transition of play into attack as getting involved in a "Basketball match" that we're unsuited to. Nobody is asking us to launch it Cardiff or Millwall style but to increase the tempo of movement.

Are you basing this off of the Cardiff match? That was one of the only times I've seen us play at a much slower pace. This is because we will rarely face a team that man-marks the way they do, so the passing lanes are much more risky.

Where are we slow in transition exactly? And if it's so slow, how do we manage to get almost 20 shots in a match?

The stats don't balance out the statement unfortunately. I know it's tough to hear, due to its simplicity, but I think our "problem" is that we don't get enough shots on frame. We took 17 shots and only 6 on target, scoring 1 goal. That's not a good enough ratio. Pair that up with 13 corners in which 7 of them didn't get past the near post man...and we're just wasting chances to score.

SP said the first half against Cardiff we were too slow in the build up, so I think that is where the comment is from. Even Cardiff fans thought if Arter hadn't been sent off we would have won that one.

I couldn't disagree more with the opening post  on this thread but everyone is entitled to their opinion**

** no matter if it's so wrong they should be taken into a small room and have "you're wrong" shouted at them till their ears bleed

Spirit of 2000

isn't the 17 shots, only 6 on target partly to do that those chances largely are with a lot of bodies between us & the goal, something that wouldn't be a factor if we transition quicker into attacking positions? We moved the ball quicker by far under Slav & this IMO is a better side than he had to work with. However as you've said - 6 shots on target as a result of 69% possession isn't good enough & I'm not entirely sure that isn't a bi-product of the over-slow build up, the corners from Knockaert are unforgiveable though & he needs to improve delivery or pass those duties onto someone who can beat the 1st man.

Statto

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 16, 2019, 12:33:45 PM
Quote from: Statto on September 16, 2019, 11:44:13 AM
Surely if the squad is as poor as you made out in your original post, it won't be Parker's fault if we don't go up.

Or am I missing something?

But the side is plainly good enough certainly to be top 6, possibly top 2.

To clarify, I'm not claiming the squad is poor. I was just pointing out that it seems contradictory to me to criticise "the quality of our squad" and say "we have weaknesses in the team", and then at the same time to blame the manager for not making the top 2 with that squad.

FWIW I think our underwhelming performance so far is down to a mixture of factors. IMO the squad is probably the best in the division but around 7 of our first XI are either new players, or returning from long-term absences. Parker is far from the best manager in the division but as a new, young manager with all these new players thrown together he deserves much, much more time. He should still be good enough to get this team promoted, I reckon.

Rodshig

We only have 1 chance to be promoted back to the PL. if we are not successful this time round, i believe we will lose our front 3. 2 of which are on loan (although there is a chance of perm deal). Mitro probably too gd for the championship n will likely move on as well.

I do feel we lack depth in certain areas, we do not have gd back up for wingers and only full backs (both left n right) are a cause for concern.

To be successful in this league, takes more than juz putting out a best XI and hoping that results come our way.  Feels that tts what happening with SP team right now. Yes, you may say give him more time but the season goes by quickly and if a string of bad results come our way we will be playing catch up.

Jim©

I think that actually SP's team has a real identity about the way that we play.
Lack of depth will always be a problem in this division; Hector coming in to help CB, Odoi good cover too. Reed, KMac, Stef Jo great subs in MF, Neeskens, Kamara are ok wide options. Can't replace Mitro just like Spurs can't replace Kane. Good squad for this division.

WindyCity

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 16, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
isn't the 17 shots, only 6 on target partly to do that those chances largely are with a lot of bodies between us & the goal, something that wouldn't be a factor if we transition quicker into attacking positions?

Exactly!  This has been the problem all season long so far, save one 4 goal outburst.

The two challenges are:  1) Develop plays/opportunities from stand still possession play.  2) Move quickly in transition forward rather than pass backwards to establish that possession which this team, and coach, are so fond of. 

Statto

Quote from: Rodshig on September 16, 2019, 02:58:29 PM
Yes, you may say give him more time but the season goes by quickly and if a string of bad results come our way we will be playing catch up.

Still, history has shown us that even a decent manager like Jokanovic cannot transform a mid-table side into a promotion-winning side in the middle of the season. So even if we're mid-table in December, I'd leave SP in place and just hope he turns it around.

Whitesideup

"Getting caught early and slip ups can't happen if you are a top club, playing at home, against a 'weaker' opponent." - WindyCity - is it then ok for a top club to do it away from home?

If not, then I will have to rethink my opinion of Man City. 

Matt10

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 16, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
isn't the 17 shots, only 6 on target partly to do that those chances largely are with a lot of bodies between us & the goal, something that wouldn't be a factor if we transition quicker into attacking positions? We moved the ball quicker by far under Slav & this IMO is a better side than he had to work with. However as you've said - 6 shots on target as a result of 69% possession isn't good enough & I'm not entirely sure that isn't a bi-product of the over-slow build up, the corners from Knockaert are unforgiveable though & he needs to improve delivery or pass those duties onto someone who can beat the 1st man.

I think that's a good point, but I believe Parker does not want to isolate Mitro like that - because that will most likely happen. He stated in the match reaction that we changed how we played after conceding against West Brom:

"We turned the game into a bit of a basketball match. We go back to front very early with 50-50 balls all of a sudden, whereas before that I felt we controlled the game and it was on our terms.

"If you are going to pump the ball up to Mitro [Aleksandar Mitrovic] who's got two men around him, there's only a 50-50 chance he's going to win it, so that was a disappointment."

The thing is, I believe we've attacked in varying tempos in multiple matches. It's just that when you see stats of 70+% possession, the assumption is we just pass the ball around in non-threatening spots. If I'm not mistaken, the 4th goal against Millwall was pretty direct play. I'm sure there have been others. If we can ensure a variety of tempos like we have been, the opponents will be left to play a guessing game. It's definitely exciting to watch - and hopefully more can continue to get on board with it. At the end of the day, goals are the deciding factor for any system to be deemed successful - and we need to get more of them.