Our Non Cup Runs

Started by Mince n Tatties, August 27, 2019, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 27, 2019, 11:42:44 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on August 27, 2019, 11:26:57 PM
i would be hapy if we went out the cup and that guaranteed promotion
but it does not work like that in the real world
success breads success. i agree do not risk players but I am not in favoour of these wholesale changes.
I had the displeasure of paying to see reall poor player in particular MLM who rates with some of the poorest.
Christie too is out of his depth, he tries and seems a nice bloke, but is a fish out of water (mixing metaphors i know). I think we expect better than that to be on display.

losing two in a row is bad for moral, i think it hinders our chances and exposes our very poor lack if depth in defence, which is really not that good anyway.

I sympathise with the fact that fans paid good money to see a below par team. But the idea that success breeds  success is a nonsense. We won 4-0 last week than a few days later lost 2-1 with the same team. Football is not a computer game and players have good and bad days. The only teams that can claim that success breeds success are the teams at the top. There are very few of those in the game of football.

I really do not even start to agree with you. The notion of building momentum is a fundamental in any sport. We did win last week and now lost two on the bounce so any feel good factor has gone. The team we put out did OK but was not sent out with a realistic chance of winning. Playing to lose, and that is what we did, is a bad thing and all we demonstrated to the world is we have an 11 man squad with no depth. the youngsters were good but to blood so many at once is unreasoanble. Apparently southampton fielded an almost full first team, and they are rather more successful than us in the recent past.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: ALG01 on August 28, 2019, 08:37:12 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 27, 2019, 11:42:44 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on August 27, 2019, 11:26:57 PM
i would be hapy if we went out the cup and that guaranteed promotion
but it does not work like that in the real world
success breads success. i agree do not risk players but I am not in favoour of these wholesale changes.
I had the displeasure of paying to see reall poor player in particular MLM who rates with some of the poorest.
Christie too is out of his depth, he tries and seems a nice bloke, but is a fish out of water (mixing metaphors i know). I think we expect better than that to be on display.

losing two in a row is bad for moral, i think it hinders our chances and exposes our very poor lack if depth in defence, which is really not that good anyway.

I sympathise with the fact that fans paid good money to see a below par team. But the idea that success breeds  success is a nonsense. We won 4-0 last week than a few days later lost 2-1 with the same team. Football is not a computer game and players have good and bad days. The only teams that can claim that success breeds success are the teams at the top. There are very few of those in the game of football.

I really do not even start to agree with you. The notion of building momentum is a fundamental in any sport. We did win last week and now lost two on the bounce so any feel good factor has gone. The team we put out did OK but was not sent out with a realistic chance of winning. Playing to lose, and that is what we did, is a bad thing and all we demonstrated to the world is we have an 11 man squad with no depth. the youngsters were good but to blood so many at once is unreasoanble. Apparently southampton fielded an almost full first team, and they are rather more successful than us in the recent past.

👍

Whitestone

Our non cup runs are disappointing. Any loss is a disappointment isn't it ? A win last night would have been great for morale and ensured that the fringe and academy players got more game time.  I think team selection was about right. With Cardiff on the horizon it is vital that key players are kept fresh.

grandad

The team we put out was not even our 2nd string. It was composed of mainly our U 23´s plus a few benchers & only 2 players who started our last game. This was against a srtong PL team composed of mainly regular starters.
To only lose 1-0 was a good performance overall. It has given SP a good idea who could make the step up. It also proved what a liability MLM is. Rodak was our best player & McDonald showed he can fill in at CB.
Of course I wanted us to progress but not at the expense of having vital players exposed to injury. Our squad is still short of quality starters so there is no need to expose what we do have only to get drawn away to Man City.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Mince n Tatties

Don't get this at the expense of players risky injury,that can happen any game....Jesus we had one injure himself changing his boots.
So we get drawn away to Man City,what's wrong with that,go and beat them....Oh Mince don't be silly how could little Fulham upset them big boys...lol

grandad

Southampton were left counting the cost of their trip to Fulham after their second round win at Fulham was marred by a worrying injury to Nathan Redmond.

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl was visibly concerned after key man Redmond hobbled off in the second half not long after match-winner Michael Obafemi also had to be substituted.
Where there's a will there's a wife

colinwhite

We are playing Cardiff on friday night.Its aquestion of priorities .Pearce can shove his comments where the sun dont shine!

Plodder

I am in the camp of those who believe in playing the strongest team available for League Cup and FA Cup matches, unless a player is too jaded to play, and really needs a rest. To me, cup matches are as important as league fixtures. I have been a Fulham supporter since the early Seventies. The stand out memories are of cup matches; unless we were promoted or relegated, I would have to look up in which position we finished in the league in any season.  A good example is 1978-79 when we beat QPR (Stan Bowles et al) 2-0 at home in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and drew 1-1 v Manchester United in the 4th Round, before unluckily losing the replay at Old Trafford 1-0.  I had to look up where finished (10th in a forgettable league campaign).  Are the players selected on Friday going to perform better because they did not play on Tuesday?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Plodder on August 28, 2019, 12:06:25 PM
I am in the camp of those who believe in playing the strongest team available for League Cup and FA Cup matches, unless a player is too jaded to play, and really needs a rest. To me, cup matches are as important as league fixtures. I have been a Fulham supporter since the early Seventies. The stand out memories are of cup matches; unless we were promoted or relegated, I would have to look up in which position we finished in the league in any season.  A good example is 1978-79 when we beat QPR (Stan Bowles et al) 2-0 at home in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and drew 1-1 v Manchester United in the 4th Round, before unluckily losing the replay at Old Trafford 1-0.  I had to look up where finished (10th in a forgettable league campaign).  Are the players selected on Friday going to perform better because they did not play on Tuesday?

I was there for those cup games. Still remember John Margerison  leaping with a header against United. They were thrilling. But I just think that those days are over. I don't know or care who won the CuP. I don't watch the finals which used to be a family occasion and you poured over the press the week before even when your team wasn't involved. The league now is everything. Had we lost 1-0 or even won 1-0 and had an injury to a player it would seem madness as we have to visit Cardiff a few days after the cup game. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

toshes mate

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
I just think that those days are over. I don't know or care who won the CuP. I don't watch the finals which used to be a family occasion and you poured over the press the week before even when your team wasn't involved. The league now is everything. Had we lost 1-0 or even won 1-0 and had an injury to a player it would seem madness as we have to visit Cardiff a few days after the cup game. 
Yes, but who decided those days are over?  Is it the fans, the clubs, the players, or the media marketeers who attach greater value to matches they can guarantee big audience figures for their advertising and betting mates?  Football should be dominated by superlative performances like minnows flattening giants but now the football agenda, including match schedules, competition values and importance, are set by those who have no interest in professional sport as a live activity as in fans go to games for the thrill of seeing their team win.  Or do you think the fans started that particular ball rolling?

Barry White

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on August 27, 2019, 09:56:10 PM
With the disparity between the top teams and those below them it's pointless to progress in the cups as you will never win them. I'm glad we're out so we can focus on the important goal of getting promoted this season.

This is a madness. To that logic why do we want to be in the Premier league with the big times as we'll never beat them and we'll never win the league?

Cups are all we have as smaller sides, you just need to play a strong team and give them the focus they deserve.

Lighthouse

Quote from: toshes mate on August 28, 2019, 12:32:47 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2019, 12:23:27 PM
I just think that those days are over. I don't know or care who won the CuP. I don't watch the finals which used to be a family occasion and you poured over the press the week before even when your team wasn't involved. The league now is everything. Had we lost 1-0 or even won 1-0 and had an injury to a player it would seem madness as we have to visit Cardiff a few days after the cup game. 
Yes, but who decided those days are over?  Is it the fans, the clubs, the players, or the media marketeers who attach greater value to matches they can guarantee big audience figures for their advertising and betting mates?  Football should be dominated by superlative performances like minnows flattening giants but now the football agenda, including match schedules, competition values and importance, are set by those who have no interest in professional sport as a live activity as in fans go to games for the thrill of seeing their team win.  Or do you think the fans started that particular ball rolling?

I think once SKY were involved and the media concentrated on the League I think the Cups suffered. It is true that the fans have had the game taken out of their hands. Not only by the media but by the owners and the prices. I agree that the best memories of the 60s and 70s etc were dominated by cup upsets. The whole family sitting around for the cup final etc. The money and the media starting the League domination rolling and the fans just had to follow. Hence why a smaller crowd turns up for a visit from a Prem side.

Woolly Mammoth

I love a Cup Run, bring it on, it's time we had one, let's hope we make a better job of it in the FA Cup.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham1959

My main thought, 'at the final whistle', was of/for those fringe players -

"When am I going to get more game time and another chance to prove myself, now we're out of that Cup?".

MikeW

Quote from: grandad on August 28, 2019, 08:52:55 AM
The team we put out was not even our 2nd string. It was composed of mainly our U 23´s plus a few benchers & only 2 players who started our last game. This was against a srtong PL team composed of mainly regular starters.
To only lose 1-0 was a good performance overall. It has given SP a good idea who could make the step up. It also proved what a liability MLM is. Rodak was our best player & McDonald showed he can fill in at CB.
Of course I wanted us to progress but not at the expense of having vital players exposed to injury. Our squad is still short of quality starters so there is no need to expose what we do have only to get drawn away to Man City.

Quite a few of our 'second string' seem to double up as first team players.  Like the defence.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Mince n Tatties

Lighthouse you keep going on about if a player had got injured it would have hamper us against Cardiff.
What if it were 2 league games in a week,and last nights was a league match?
Utter nonsense resting players,and the cups matter.
I would hate for future generation to look at Football history and see we never won a major trophy.
Its the same when we were in premier last season and playing one of the top sides"Oh lets just accept a 3-0 defeat and move on" Never known such defeated attitude amongst a set of fans,no wonder we've never won a major trophy...

Lighthouse

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 28, 2019, 01:12:58 PM
Lighthouse you keep going on about if a player had got injured it would have hamper us against Cardiff.
I would hate for future generation to look at Football history and see we never won a major trophy.
Its the same when we were in premier last season and playing one of the top sides"Oh lets just accept a 3-0 defeat and move on" Never known such defeated attitude amongst a set of fans,no wonder we've never won a major trophy...

If a player is injured in a league match then he is injured in a game that meant something. Cup games, and I do understand that some fans still find the Cups exciting, mean nothing to many fans now. They certainly mean nothing to the clubs. I don't understand the idea that in the Prem if we lost badly it was the attitude of many fans that it was just one of those things. I never saw that response by anybody. As it was in the league and the league means something. The idea that it is a defeatist attitude is also wrong. It is just the clubs and many fans including a traditionalist like me. Now believe that the league is more important. It would be defeatist to have lost one nil against a Prem side and have to turn up against a very physical side like Cardiff a few days later. Look jaded and lose.  We may well still lose or we may have won against Southampton. But I prefer a result at Cardiff than a result against The Saints. This gives us a better chance.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2019, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 28, 2019, 01:12:58 PM

If a player is injured in a league match then he is injured in a game that meant something. Cup games, and I do understand that some fans still find the Cups exciting, mean nothing to many fans now. They certainly mean nothing to the clubs. I don't understand the idea that in the Prem if we lost badly it was the attitude of many fans that it was just one of those things. I never saw that response by anybody. As it was in the league and the league means something. The idea that it is a defeatist attitude is also wrong. It is just the clubs and many fans including a traditionalist like me. Now believe that the league is more important. It would be defeatist to have lost one nil against a Prem side and have to turn up against a very physical side like Cardiff a few days later. Look jaded and lose.  We may well still lose or we may have won against Southampton. But I prefer a result at Cardiff than a result against The Saints. This gives us a better chance.

Watch the highlights from them games last night and the many pictures in the papers today,of players and fans alike going crazy in celebration..
So the cup games mean nothing to them.?

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 28, 2019, 08:24:27 AM
Quote from: Sgt Fulham on August 28, 2019, 08:02:28 AM
"Call yourselves fans". Yes, we do. Stop having a tantrum over other people on a forum sharing different views and maybe attempt to tackle some of the points made by these posters.

Fans don't want their side to lose and be happy about it....Booooooo

If you actually read my post you would see two things:
1) I didn't want us to lose. I would have been happy if we won with our second team. Then they could go out and upset Man City. They would stand roughly the same chance as our first team.
2) I am looking at the silver lining of our loss. Less chance of injury, fatigue etc. which may impact our chances in the league.

Also to address your point about the fact that a player could be injured any time, please just use basic logic. If a player gets injured every X games, then increasing X games results in more injury. That's before considering that injuries are often a result of fatigue caused by more games.

Please read this twice to ensure you actually understand the contents of my post before replying abrasively, unlike last time.

Russianrob

Cannot recall a duller competitive match.Even the commentary seemed uninterested.Well done Gentleman Jim for staying awake the whole match!