watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hector To Join In January

Started by Deeping_white, September 05, 2019, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Let us hope we will get our moneys worth, and are repaid ten fold. Which I believe he is capable of.

Interesting, hardly an "up and coming" at 27.
I have never seen him play so will reserve judgement.

Noticed the other record 8 million pound central defender (Kalas) was not playing for his new club on their last outing. Is he injured or disappointing?

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Twig

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 06, 2019, 09:58:36 AM
Quote from: Hatch007 on September 05, 2019, 11:43:42 PM
We've signed him for £8m according to the Express:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1174425/Chelsea-Fulham-Michael-Hector-Transfer-News

Ironically, the first game he is eligible for is our home match against Reading

That sounds very very expensive for a player that will not join us until he has 6 month left on his contract.

It sounds so expensive that I am inclined to disbelieve the figure.

Tabby

The fee was rumoured to be at £5 million this summer, so it'd be strange if he somehow got more expensive.

filham

Sounds as though this could at last be the man to replace Hangeland, it has been a long wait.

The transfer fee is being reported as £8m, that seems high and it hurts to think we are paying Chelsea that amount for a 27year old that has never made a 1st team appearance for them.

Spirit of 2000

As I work in Reading, I asked a number of their fans about Michael Hector as he was there a number of years after coming through their youth system and then going back on loan after signing for Chelsea. He played for them 80 times in total and the guys I spoke to held him in high regard. Their description of him tells you why Fulham targeted him. Good ball playing centre half who can also play CDM (he's the sort of player ideal if you want to play out from the back was one's comment), very fast for a CB, but who is a little casual and has a mistake in him – and this is why they doubt his ability to play regularly for a top half premiership side. As a championship player they rate him as superb though and would have happily had him back.

Also the transfer fee agreed in the last window was 5 million - Chelsea has asked at the start of the last window for £8m but realised they weren't getting that and he was in the last year of contract - so am guessing it's £5m or even a little less considering he'll be just 6 months from the end of his contract. Don't believe all you read in red tops!!

Chutney

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 05, 2019, 04:12:44 PM
Good one - recruitment department really doing well this summer. Learning from their mistakes potentially

Except the fact they failed to bring him in before the deadline, what if we are too far adrift by January? I think he's a good signing but we desperately needed a CB over the summer, Jan may well be too late.
C O Y W

Singding

Apparently he was Wednesday's player of the year, and according to the Wednesday fans who've been posting about him since the transfer deal broke, they're gutted! So all in all it looks like he's gonna be a great signing at this level. So long as we're not more than 7 or 8 points off first come January, I still think we should win the league as we're now, assuming Leeds don't make any great signings, not only the one team in the championship that don't have a first team weakness, but also the most talented, plus we have arguably the strongest bench.
COYW

Statto

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 06, 2019, 10:49:54 AM
Also the transfer fee agreed in the last window was 5 million - Chelsea has asked at the start of the last window for £8m but realised they weren't getting that and he was in the last year of contract - so am guessing it's £5m or even a little less considering he'll be just 6 months from the end of his contract. Don't believe all you read in red tops!!

If the proposed fee was £5m last month then I agree it's unlikely to have gone up to £8m this month.

Would be interested to know the original source of the £5m figure - if it's just the word among Reading fans then to be honest I don't attach any more credibility to that than the "red tops".

In any case, £8m is a reasonable price IMO. Sessegnon was probably a £40m player and his fee was reduced to £25m because he was in the last year of his contract. Hector, as a top Championship CB in today's market could probably fetch £12m, so knocking that down to £8m because he's also in the last year of his contract would be about the same discount as Spurs got on Sessegnon.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Statto on September 06, 2019, 11:30:04 AM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on September 06, 2019, 10:49:54 AM

If the proposed fee was £5m last month then I agree it's unlikely to have gone up to £8m this month.

Would be interested to know the original source of the £5m figure - if it's just the word among Reading fans then to be honest I don't attach any more credibility to that than the "red tops".

In any case, £8m is a reasonable price IMO. Sessegnon was probably a £40m player and his fee was reduced to £25m because he was in the last year of his contract. Hector, as a top Championship CB in today's market could probably fetch £12m, so knocking that down to £8m because he's also in the last year of his contract would be about the same discount as Spurs got on Sessegnon.

No word amongst Reading fans over the fee - that was just his abilities. I was following this one closely on the last deadline day and reading the Sheff Wed boards - they desperately wanted to sign Hector and the club reportedly offered £3m - Chelsea rejected this and told Wednesday to stump up £5m - but with FFP etc they couldn't find the extra 2 million. Wednesday fans seemed to think Chelsea were taking the p*ss asking for 5 mil for a player with just 1 year left. It was at that stage that we matched the Chelsea asking price. At the beginning of the window they had initially priced him at 8 million but there were no takers - the reduced price was better than them losing him on a free next June.

ALG01

late but sounds a good signing and better than  not at all because he seems to be the man we were after.
This seasons signings are clearly of the right sort rather than what happened last time, so hopefully we are turning the proverbial corner in that respect.

TBH I must have seen him but do not recall him but then unless they are stand out forwards I usually pay more attention to our team.

filham

Can't recall having seen him play but the important thing is has Parker seen him in competitive matches.

Moltobueno

toshes mate

I wouldn't wish to prejudge Michael Hector the player on any basis until we see him in action for FFC.  I am pleased to see that the Club have incorporated into their recruitment tools the facility of settling a deal well in advance of the actual start date in such a way that he can train with the Club now.  Whilst the details of the deal may intrigue me I don't expect to learn anything about it any time soon. 

The virtue of having almost four months of training with his new club has a lot of hidden benefits that could make it a very shrewd move indeed but I'll be patient and wait until January to see how it all pans out.     

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: filham on September 06, 2019, 10:43:10 AM
Sounds as though this could at last be the man to replace Hangeland, it has been a long wait.

The transfer fee is being reported as £8m, that seems high and it hurts to think we are paying Chelsea that amount for a 27year old that has never made a 1st team appearance for them.

He has the potential to be the best CB we have.    He put in 30+ games  for both Hull, and Sheffield Wednesday (whom he won player of the year for).

Sheffield Wednesday fans are gutted that he didn't come back even though they have an adequate replacement in the wings.

This is a good signing if he stays healthy.   Taller, and faster than Mawson... and he's in the prime of his career.   Good CBs can play into their mid 30s.   

Not really concerned about the fee at all.   All I'm concerned about is how he's going to perform on the pitch.

TK can worry about his fat purse.

YoungsBitter

They keep saying he cannot play for the First team until January 1st but can he play for PL2/U23? 4 moths of training is all well and good but match fitness would be good to have too.
Quark, strangeness and charm

Rj Fulham

Dare i say it, a good signing? :wine: cant wait to see him out on the pitch, at least now we have a bit more height in our squad! :62:

Woolly Mammoth

He will add much needed Height in both penalty areas, and aggression, and technique, and he has been coached well at his former club, shouldn't have a problem settling in, speaks English and won't have to move house. Knows the culture inside out, good upper body strength that every player needs in the English League, and he will punch his weight. What more do we need from a player.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Moltobueno on September 06, 2019, 04:26:15 PM
Is he rcb or lcb

He is right footed, but played a fair number at LCB, a few more at RCB and a number at CCB. My guess is he'll end up at RCB if Mawson is playing.

Whitesideup

Re reputation - when Mawson joined us, he enjoyed the reputation of a good premier league centre-half, even though Swansea were relegated that season. His injury certainly held him back last year, but I did not see the quality of the price tag.... but still hope we have yet to see the best of him  ... and our defence is definitely looking capable at Championship level, even though we have given away a couple of soft goals.

Re Stearman - Wolves player of the year before we bought him? Hmmmm....

I mention these two just to put things in perspective. Hector certainly seemed to be appreciated at Wednesday, and I hope he is a roaring success with us. Wednesday, however, play a much more conservative style than us, and try to protect their back 4 more than we have often done in the past. So it may have (with the emphasis on "may have") been easier to perform  as a centre-half in that set-up. But I like the assessment of him as a ball-playing and speedy centre-half, so my fingers are crossed.   

General

Based on all our other centre backs not being good enough in this league and Hector having experience and pace I expect he'll partner Mawson at CB.