Main Menu

Hector To Join In January

Started by Deeping_white, September 05, 2019, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 10, 2019, 06:59:21 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 09, 2019, 01:15:51 PM
Quote from: General on September 09, 2019, 12:24:11 PM
Can we please bare in mind that it is unlikely that he or any other of our defensive line barring perhaps sessegnon and Mawson have the quality necessary to succeed at premiership level.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree personally. We'll be upgrading 3 out of 4 positions with better players than we had last time we were in the PL (Mawson > Ream, Hector > Odoi and Sessegnon > Christie). Personally I reckon that's good enough for a newly-promoted team.

In any case, new transfers carry flop risk and will also take time to adapt, so if we were to go up, I wouldn't want to be making more than one change to the back four anyway.   

Sam Allardyce pointed out that spending £100m on a new starting XI is never going to keep a team up. He believes you need to get promoted with eight starters from the promotion season and then spend £33m each upgrade three positions with quality players totalling £100m.

We have at least four players that could be premier league starters now and at least another four that could prove to be premier league starters soon, plus we may pick up one or two potential starters during the winter transfer window (such as Hector). Making that magically objective of eight starters possible.

You seemingly mistake Big Sam's words for gospel, which it is not in my opinion. What you should take from that (again in my opinion) are two things:

1. It is better to change as little as possible in order to keep what obviously worked well and to decrease the risk of the team not functioning as a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

2. Players of already proven or reasonably expected high chance of being PL quality are very expensive nowadays. This means that spending 100 million is in no way a guarantee for even moderate success at PL level (as we are painfully aware).

Both of the above points should be well known to anyone that have paid attention the last few years (although the numbers keep going up all the time).

Lastly, 8 is no magic number at all, but better than 7 and worse than 9. Just as it has always been and will always be (all other factors alike).I agree though that if we would have 8 players capable of starting most games and doing it well in the PL that would be a very good start. 

Bassey the warrior

Whether these players are PL standard or not is irrelevant. First priority is to get there, then we can always move them on.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 10, 2019, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 10, 2019, 06:59:21 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 09, 2019, 01:15:51 PM
Quote from: General on September 09, 2019, 12:24:11 PM
Can we please bare in mind that it is unlikely that he or any other of our defensive line barring perhaps sessegnon and Mawson have the quality necessary to succeed at premiership level.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree personally. We'll be upgrading 3 out of 4 positions with better players than we had last time we were in the PL (Mawson > Ream, Hector > Odoi and Sessegnon > Christie). Personally I reckon that's good enough for a newly-promoted team.

In any case, new transfers carry flop risk and will also take time to adapt, so if we were to go up, I wouldn't want to be making more than one change to the back four anyway.   

Sam Allardyce pointed out that spending £100m on a new starting XI is never going to keep a team up. He believes you need to get promoted with eight starters from the promotion season and then spend £33m each upgrade three positions with quality players totalling £100m.

We have at least four players that could be premier league starters now and at least another four that could prove to be premier league starters soon, plus we may pick up one or two potential starters during the winter transfer window (such as Hector). Making that magically objective of eight starters possible.

You seemingly mistake Big Sam's words for gospel, which it is not in my opinion. What you should take from that (again in my opinion) are two things:

1. It is better to change as little as possible in order to keep what obviously worked well and to decrease the risk of the team not functioning as a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

2. Players of already proven or reasonably expected high chance of being PL quality are very expensive nowadays. This means that spending 100 million is in no way a guarantee for even moderate success at PL level (as we are painfully aware).

Both of the above points should be well known to anyone that have paid attention the last few years (although the numbers keep going up all the time).

Lastly, 8 is no magic number at all, but better than 7 and worse than 9. Just as it has always been and will always be (all other factors alike).I agree though that if we would have 8 players capable of starting most games and doing it well in the PL that would be a very good start.

Big Sam's opinion is not Gospel for me, unless he tells me what i already believe as i do in this case. Most other pundits are just mouth pieces of their employers, trying to promote the lie that Fulham outspent other teams that stayed up.

The media hates the truth that the three cheapest squads went down, with Fulham as equal third cheapest squads with a few other teams. No cheaper squad than Fulham stayed up. I guess they are scared people won't watch if it's all about money.

The truth is the Fulham squad cost about the same as Brighton, Burnley and Watford, all had made some good/bad purchases but their squads more settled, cohesive and tactically adjusted for premier league.

While eight is not a magic number for number of starters from promotion team, it is close and the number we should aim for. If we go up with eight players, then we only need three acquisitions to really fire.

Going up with six or seven PL players means we will struggle, but probably stay up just. Going up with four or five players means we will probably should be battling out til the end of season, but likely go down. Going up with only two or three premier league players means it will be very hard unless existing teams fall apart. Last year, only Huddersfield fell apart with Fulham never getting together until it was too late.

It does also depend a bit where those players are on the field, going up with a great centre back partnership and excellent defensive midfield is more valuable than a good striker and two decent wingers.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 11, 2019, 02:48:55 AM
[quote Most other pundits are just mouth pieces of their employers, trying to promote the lie that Fulham outspent other teams that stayed up.

The media hates the truth that the three cheapest squads went down, with Fulham as equal third cheapest squads with a few other teams. No cheaper squad than Fulham stayed up. I guess they are scared people won't watch if it's all about money.

I agree with your fundamental point that we need to minimise player turnover, but this point about us spending less than 17 other clubs was disproven IIRC when we looked at spending over a 3 year period. It also overlooks the fact that we finished below 18, not 17, other clubs, and the massive points gap between us and the clubs that stayed up.