News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is no one else sick of being a feeder club for Spurs?

Started by terryr, September 07, 2019, 01:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

What's the point of the academy?
Is it just a farm for the big 6?
Why develop the youngsters and let them make their mistakes in order to groom them for the big time especially when we're trying to get promoted?
I'm sick of it.
Whenever some on this board restlessly scream " play the kids!"
I say, why put them in the shop window so Spurs can play their game and we get left short with a depleted team?

Roberty

Career progression is something that happens in all professions, not just football - most people would accept a better paid position with better prospects if it was offered to them and sites like Linkedin and recruitment consultants exist to facilitate this

The advantage that soccer clubs have is that they get compensation, a transfer or development fee, for successfully developing a player, in other walks of life employees just have to give notice before they leave without any compensation being paid

Playing the kids not only allows us to progress their development, which increases the fee we would receive, but also saves the cost of buying in players that other clubs have developed.

So don't feel bad about it - it's life
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Tabby

If we buy ready players and they're good they'll also go to a top 6 side, as seen with Saha, VdS, Dembele etc. Clearly the only solution is to get bad players.

bobby01

:yay:
Quote from: Tabby on September 07, 2019, 09:38:35 AM
If we buy ready players and they're good they'll also go to a top 6 side, as seen with Saha, VdS, Dembele etc. Clearly the only solution is to get bad players.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

filham

Don't worry our academy is not that good, they don't produce Premier League quality players every season.
Now look at Southampton their fans really have reasons for complaint.

Roberty

Woops - please don't tell TK this
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Woolly Mammoth

064.gif
Quote from: Roberty on September 07, 2019, 10:34:22 AM

Woops - please don't tell TK this

064.gif
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bobbo

I am with you terry , it infuriates me , but it's how the game is now.
It makes me think we'll always be like it feeding the giants, we're not the only club doing it.
Big money has made the whole game/process like this now and at my ripe old age I feel I'll never see us as good as we were in the Los 1st division, mind you only a couple of seasons the rest of the time there we continually hanging on. How can we make serious headway when our better players are constantly nicked off us. For me it started when Allan Clarke went to Leeds.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Jamie88

Forgive me for possibly being dim, but how many of our academy players have been snapped up by spurs? I can actually only think of Sess and Sean Davis, though we got many years of service out of him.
Obviously Dembélé and Dempsey moves there but they were not academy players at the club.

jarv

Bobbo, I believe Allan Clarke went to Leicester before Leeds. Didn't we get a donkey called Frank Large in part exchange? Your point is spot on though. We let him go too cheaply. (Along with Rodney Marsh, Malcolm McDonald, Alan Mullery etc).

YankeeJim

To me, the issue could be brought under control by limiting the size of a team and the number of loans a team can engage in. A team like the scum buy up every player they can get their hands on when the player is just beginning. They loan them out and the odd 10-15% that come good end up at the Bridge while they that don't, (Michael Hector) are sold to the also ran's. I suspect at a profit. The thing that keeps the top six on top is the control of the talent. The loan system helps the top six pay for that talent. Limit the squad size to say 25 with a maximum of five loans. The youth teams could remain as is but a player moving up to the "A" team would require some one moving down. A player could move up because of an injury or falling out of favor. Yes the best players would still be at the top teams but that third striker that the scum are hording would be some were else. It likely would make a Steve Sess think before moving, knowing he'd be stuck in the under 23's. He'd stay at FFC, learn his craft and either opt to continue to dance with the horse that brung him or move on at a higher value once he is an established star.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

terryr

I agree
How many players would be in the PL if they weren't controlled by Chelsea?
They send them to teams who don't compete with them and simply farm them for profit.
I guess what's bothering me is that noises are already being made of Steve Sess leaving to Spurs in January.

DevonFFC

Just like Levy with Man United - he will not sell it trade with, we should adopt it with Levy and Spurs

bobbo

Quote from: jarv on September 07, 2019, 10:02:25 PM
Bobbo, I believe Allan Clarke went to Leicester before Leeds. Didn't we get a donkey called Frank Large in part exchange? Your point is spot on though. We let him go too cheaply. (Along with Rodney Marsh, Malcolm McDonald, Alan Mullery etc).
your right jarv, long term memory usually good it's what happened yesterday that fails me 👍
1975 just leaving home full of hope

toshes mate

The feeder argument has been around for a long time but one thing has not changed since I have watched football.  Successful clubs breed successful players and successful players breed successful clubs, a proverbial chicken and egg conundrum that is only satisfied by the rule that both are true. 

At the top of team sport successful clubs win things but there are fewer things to win than there are successful clubs and so successful players will tend to migrate to where their chances of winning stuff are greater.  Winning stuff generally means more income and greater affluence or security.

Younger players pick up those same notions both from the examples of their elders and via their own experiences as players winning a title, tournament, being picked to play for a national team and receiving praise from off field elders and betters.   There are different ways young players respond to praise and success and it usually boils down to who has the greater influence over their particular mind set at any one time.   Ambition can be indulged with or successfully tempered.

A youngster may have a terrific rapport with a successful coach or manager and then the team has a setback following success and the youngster's mentor is suddenly gone.  The law of unintended consequence takes over and everything about the club may now be unsettling rather than enriching.   That situation is soon circulating among those who are at least a step up the food chain.

The food chain these days has larger steps between its groupings and that simply emphasizes the attraction of the opportunity to move away from apparent instability towards something that seems more solid.  That next step up may actually prove to be a fragile place but who could blame anyone for trying it?

If Steven is as good as his brother then he'll almost certainly move on at some point.   But what if he proves to be much better than his brother – what then?   

BigbadBillyMcKinley

The way I see it is this; if the player is from the academy then they can't move till their 20. And when they do, they HAVE to be played buy the buying club and not loaned out. Guaranteed you'll see less of the old "buy a player and loan him out for 4 seasons and then sell him" malarkey.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Burt

The Brentford model is an interesting one.

Their academy was costing £2.5m to run and the competition from other London clubs more often than not meant that the promising ones would get snapped up elsewhere rather than turn professional and graduate to their first team.

So they closed their academy 3 years ago and switched the focus to picking up 17 to 20 year-olds who have been released by Premier League academies to try and bring them along via a B-team.

Has it worked?

Last season, four B-teamers played for the first team, more than the number of homegrown players who had made their debuts in any one season in over a decade.

It's certainly food for thought...

bobby01

Quote from: Burt on September 08, 2019, 10:24:14 AM
The Brentford model is an interesting one.

Their academy was costing £2.5m to run and the competition from other London clubs more often than not meant that the promising ones would get snapped up elsewhere rather than turn professional and graduate to their first team.

So they closed their academy 3 years ago and switched the focus to picking up 17 to 20 year-olds who have been released by Premier League academies to try and bring them along via a B-team.

Has it worked?

Last season, four B-teamers played for the first team, more than the number of homegrown players who had made their debuts in any one season in over a decade.

It's certainly food for thought...

Did not know that, thanks Burt, it certainly is food for thought as they continue to produce good young players.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

One Martin Thomas

Brentford model is interesting and something is working well for them !!!! As for Spurs; hate everything to do with them but it's just natural selection. The best players slowly find their way to the bigger teams.

We do our fair share of snapping up young players from smaller clubs than our own but I don't want SSess to go to Spurs... however they now have the ultimate weapon on their ranks to persuade him to come 😢

Andy S

In reality what does it matter as long as we get well paid for him