watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham graffito - Barrow

Started by WhiteJC, September 09, 2019, 02:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

I've had a request from a Barrow fan about some info on some graffiti, can anyone help?

Hello..bit of an odd request...Im a Barrow fan , and until the 90's there was a Fulham graffito on the wall of the cinema across the road to the railway station.

Now, you only came up here once, in 1969-70..30/08/69..a tuesday night, almost 50 years ago, and of course the cinema is long gone but I took a photo.
I'm writing a piece loosely about graffiti, and I wonder if any of your readers - or their dads - or grandads - were responsible for it?
It became one of the fonder reminders of that season, and Im interested in any memories from the sprayers or anyone at the game, about the game, the ground, the journey-which must have taken all day- you get the idea.

Cheers and all the best.
John

WhiteJC

Lighthouse

Can't help I am afraid. But I do remember the game at The Cottage at home to Barrow. For some reason it was in the Christmas period. On the 26th or 27th. It was played in a very relaxed atmosphere.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dr Know

Londonfranky

I may be the graffiti artist concerned I remember going to that game and it might be my handiwork, we come overnight from London arriving at about 6 o'clock in the morning so we had best part of 9 hours to kill before the game, it's all a bit vague but I'm pretty sure they was some Fulham graffiti up by the ground as well, as to the game I knew we lost 3-1 but can remember anything about the game, I do remember falling asleep in the second half it had been such a long day and night, as to the graffiti our next away game was Bristol Rovers we sprayed Fulham on a white wall outside a bus garage, they might be some others but it's all very vague as it been such  a long time,

RaySmith

Interesting memories Franky.

Takes me back to the FA Cup semi-final replay v Brum at Maine Road,  Manchester in 1975. After travelling up on a coach from Fulham for the evening game, we  had to leave a pub after a bit of a confrontation with  some Brummmies, and a lad wearing a white butcher's style coat with the names of the Fulham team written on it  said to me 'stand there and  cover me', as he spray painted Fulham FC on the pub wall. i wonder if it's still there!

bog

I was at that home game in 1969. And still have the programme. It is good to hear of a Barrow supporter staying loyal through some very disappointing times. I do keep an eye on all those clubs that have lost their league status. Good luck!  :54:

092.gif

WhiteJC

message from John Hall (the Barrow supporter)

Hi London Franky, Lighthouse, Dr Know and Bog..Apologies for getting the date wrong, it was of course saturday, I erred and entered 09 into the date calculation thing.

It'd be good to discuss this further, Franky, I'll be in touch and meantime lets see if anyone else has any recollections about the game.

Congratulations to anyone who actually made it up here, it can be difficult enough now, god knows what it was like in 69.

Thanks for the good wishes Bog. I'm not native Barrow and I've only been up this way for about 25 years. Its a great club, and I have lots of friends who recall the seasons in Div 3 , Fulhams visit, and the horrors and injustices that followed and  saw us chucked out. Even in my time its been very up and down but there have been some glorious times, including 2 FA Trophy wins at Wembley. I was there for the second, when we mugged Stevenage and their smug fans.

All the best for the season.
John

Ronnief

Quote from: Londonfranky on September 11, 2019, 08:26:04 AM
I may be the graffiti artist concerned I remember going to that game and it might be my handiwork, we come overnight from London arriving at about 6 o'clock in the morning so we had best part of 9 hours to kill before the game, it's all a bit vague but I'm pretty sure they was some Fulham graffiti up by the ground as well, as to the game I knew we lost 3-1 but can remember anything about the game, I do remember falling asleep in the second half it had been such a long day and night, as to the graffiti our next away game was Bristol Rovers we sprayed Fulham on a white wall outside a bus garage, they might be some others but it's all very vague as it been such  a long time,
The cold case squad are on to this, expect a visit from the boys in blue.

ron

Quote from: whitejc on September 09, 2019, 05:01:28 PM
this is the cinema...

Looks as if it's only the graffiti that's been holding the cinema up all these years....

Colton F.C.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18239

The link is to an interesting blog about the cinema with a photograph of the building in happier times.

Apparently the building was haunted by a little girl wearing a red coat.  Don't look now .......but she may be the culprit.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Dr Know on September 09, 2019, 06:19:16 PM
30th August 1969 was a Saturday.
Ahhgg Doctor.
As soon as I read the original post I had a feeling that you would either remember the game/trip.
Did you go with/on the old TBT Coach?

Dr Know

Quote from: Jims Dentist on September 11, 2019, 10:25:52 PM
Ahhgg Doctor.
As soon as I read the original post I had a feeling that you would either remember the game/trip.
Evening Jim.   Pretty sure the Tbt didn't start until 1970 so no , I didn't go on the coach . Also , being 12 at the time I didn't have enough pocket money saved to afford the trip !   Mid 1970s onwards I was a regular on the said coach !

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Dr Know on September 11, 2019, 10:36:03 PM
Ahhgg Doctor.
Evening Jim.   Pretty sure the Tbt didn't start until 1970 so no , I didn't go on the coach . Also , being 12 at the time I didn't have enough pocket money saved to afford the trip !   Mid 1970s onwards I was a regular on the said coach !
Very quick reply Doctor.
I'd always thought that you were older than that😃!!

Dr Know

Quote from: Jims Dentist on September 11, 2019, 10:40:27 PM
Quote from: Dr Know on September 11, 2019, 10:36:03 PM
Ahhgg Doctor.
Very quick reply Doctor.
I'd always thought that you were older than that😃!!
Morning Jim , as they say looks can be deceiving !   I remember you shared a birthday with Diddy David Hamilton , 10th September I seem to recall  , so many happy returns Jim , are you the same age as David ? 81  ?  Are you still chancellor of the eggs chucker ?   Are you over the hump with your tin of paint ?  Lol.  Cheers