watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is Cash Still King

Started by JimmyConway, September 09, 2019, 04:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

I'm very much in the dinosaur department when it comes to keeping up with the Joneses? It just seems to me whether at home or abroad whether the pub or Chip Shop nowadays it's all Tap Tap Tap
I can remember not so long ago especially around Europe you would never be able to buy drinks or a meal in a restaurant without cash! now you can buy a round of drinks or a few coffees and just Tap away. I've stood behind someone in a Supermarket recently where they paid 50p for a pint of milk by card.

I understand from a punters point nowadays the need not to carry a wedge around but what about the Publican or Owner of the restaurant has cash become difficult to handle? Do they prefer that within a day or two the monies are in there account as oppose to finding a bank that has not closed down and has a human greeting them. Does the small percentage on transactions out weigh the handling of cash or temptation cash can bring?
Will there come a time in next 10 years or before where cash becomes an hindrance if you have cash that is?

Spoke to a builder mate recently and he said it's changing where cash is concerned! What about the Black Cab as well they take Credit Cards now the last Bastion of Cash?

Lighthouse

Yes I can't say I like it. But I rarely have any cash on me. You can even pay by credit card on the bus now. Despite the card being able to just read the number in shops I always put it in the machine and tap away. No idea why I think it is any more secure. Most builders now agree payment by Bank transfer instead of cash. Unless they are off the books.

Much of the modern ways I am still not used to. I like to read meters and hand over cash and go to banks. But now to visit my bank is a twenty minute journey there, parking and walk and then return. With things all on line it doesn't take much for my wind up computer to break down and I am stranded. I still haven't worked out how to use the mobile phone and apps.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sarnian

Pay cash for everything except online purchases and take credit card on holiday for emergencies only.

May be old school but at least I know what I am spending. Putting everything on a card, most people have no idea how much they have spent each month and that's the reason a lot of people have numerous cards all maxed out.

love4ffc

I am the same as Lighthouse, hardly ever have any cash on me.  Pay almost everything with my credit card or the mobil accounts on my phone.  I even transfer money to my kids via my cell phone. 

The one thing my wife and are good about is paying the card off each month and earn our reward points which I save and try to use for travel. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

filham

I am a dinosaur and really like to use cash, I certainly will have nothing to do with on line banking as the security risk is frightening,

Howeever us oldies are losing the battle for the use of cash, Parking meters in Fulham will not take cash, a newly opened Warners holiday village has banned cash but uses their own card account everywhere on the site and you settle by credit card when you leave.

mrmicawbers

I tend to use cash when I go out and for small amounts in pubs shops.When I have a look at my statements I don't want pages and pages of transactions to trawl through.

Woolly Mammoth

I use cash all the time. It's quicker and easier especially in a store where people hold up the queue fuffing around with cards.The time some people take with a card can test your patience. I was in B & Q the other day, ordering a Garden Shed for minces Christmas present, and the bloke on the till even said he wished everyone used cash it's so much quicker.
Once cash is omitted from daily life, and it's cards only. The Government and the Establishment have got you where they want you. It's a carve up. Come into my parlour said the spider to the fly.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

I disagree that cash is preferable. It's so much more convenient to tap a card on a terminal and i've always found loose change a nuisance. I just keep a modest amount in notes in my wallet as a contingency.

Lighthouse

Just read that Big Issue sellers accept card contactless payments.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

hovewhite

If in the boozer always pay cash just habbit I guess.what with Dads ,S/o through banks.thats enough for me.

f321ffc

I'm old school always pay cash always have cash on me even if I know i probably won't need to spend but I can see the advantages of cashless, just watched footage of a corner shop robbery cash taken from the till.
In a cashless world this type of crime would be a thing of the past, not going to happen in my lifetime but it will come.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

filham

Quote from: f321ffc on September 10, 2019, 09:01:33 AM
I'm old school always pay cash always have cash on me even if I know i probably won't need to spend but I can see the advantages of cashless, just watched footage of a corner shop robbery cash taken from the till.
In a cashless world this type of crime would be a thing of the past, not going to happen in my lifetime but it will come.
Talk to a police officer and you will learn that large numbers of the force are employed  on Digital/Ciber crime and that the criminals are winning.

You know pretty quickly when your pocket has been picked for a few notes but you can be unaware for a long time that someone has dipped into your bank account for a large amount.

Mince n Tatties

Loved the old days,when you did a bit of overtime and the pay lady came round where you worked and your pay packet was extra thick,you felt like you were rich.
Trouble with cards is the amount of debt it gets people into,especially young females,spending money they don't have in the first place...Cash for me,only time I use card is to get cash from machine.
I think it made young people save better when you were payed cash,you gave your mum your board money,put away some for clothes and holidays,and what you had left you had to spend for the week.
The kids I've seen come out of local shop and throwing the coppers away,the change from them buying sweets,they have no money values at all some of them.

Jimpav

I do pretty much everything on cards and online banking. Easier to keep a record of what you are spending and move money between accounts, pay trades people etc.

Like one of the other posters I collect reward points (Amazon and Tesco) off the back off the monthly outgoings. Come the end of the year there's a few quid off the Christmas shopping.

I play pub poker every week though and that is strictly cash only, can't see that changing anytime soon.

RaySmith

Very disorientated last time i was in London, where i was born and brought up, to see Fulham play. Popping into  a  supermarket  in Victoria to get a drink and sandwich, an assistant had to come and help me negotiate the  cashless tills - no staffed or cash checkouts at all.

Then, down the tube, and no ticket offices just machines, and mostly cashless.

Later in a burger place in Fulham , i wondered what  people were doing at a machine in the centre of the shop, then realised they were ordering and  paying for  their order, using credit cars. I also saw people in a bar using  cards instead of cash.

What about those who don't have  bank accounts, or credit cards - are they now 'non-persons'? This trend also seems  less secure  re fraud, as does online  banking, which people are forced into with the closure of  actual banks.

Jem

I use a cashback  credit card for practically everything. Last year I received £111.00 which is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt kipper!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Logicalman

Quote from: filham on September 10, 2019, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: f321ffc on September 10, 2019, 09:01:33 AM
Talk to a police officer and you will learn that large numbers of the force are employed  on Digital/Ciber crime and that the criminals are winning.

You know pretty quickly when your pocket has been picked for a few notes but you can be unaware for a long time that someone has dipped into your bank account for a large amount.

Cyber Crime vs Robbery - not certain there is so much difference in Police time tbh, swings & roundabouts for me. I would say that the less number of cash transactions being completed by shop keepers provides less opportunity for them being robbed though when depositing the monies. Would be interesting to see the data on that over the past 20 years.

In respect of the pick-pocket awareness, most financial institutions (over here at least) offer real-time notification of account activity. For example, if I go to an ATM and withdraw money, by the time the cash is pumped out the slot, my phone already displays a message that a withdrawal has occurred from my account and I can also request email notifications, the same happens if my credit card is used any place. Thus, I will find out just as soon that my account has been used as I would my pocket being picked I guess, as long as I have my phone with me!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

General

I'm a millennial and used to swear by cash. I liked to keep on top of what I was spending. Now everytime I walk past a homeless person I feel bad and sorry for them as I simply don't carry cash on me anymore. That said, as will always be the case for the time being at least is cash will always be King. Having that physical asset and the security of having it in person will always count for more.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on September 10, 2019, 12:07:01 PM
Very disorientated last time i was in London, where i was born and brought up, to see Fulham play. Popping into  a  supermarket  in Victoria to get a drink and sandwich, an assistant had to come and help me negotiate the  cashless tills - no staffed or cash checkouts at all.

Then, down the tube, and no ticket offices just machines, and mostly cashless.

Later in a burger place in Fulham , i wondered what  people were doing at a machine in the centre of the shop, then realised they were ordering and  paying for  their order, using credit cars. I also saw people in a bar using  cards instead of cash.

What about those who don't have  bank accounts, or credit cards - are they now 'non-persons'? This trend also seems  less secure  re fraud, as does online  banking, which people are forced into with the closure of  actual banks.

The machines are taking over the world, and that is cause for concern. If you have seen that film  "I Robot", you will know what I mean.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

I understand Sweden is trying to completely eliminate cash by about 2022.

How do I replace that tasteful old expression about wanting to spend a penny when I have a need to urinate.