watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does anyone know why England are

Started by fulhamben, September 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Playing at st Mary's tonight. I'm presuming it's due to Wembley being double booked, or that they knew ticket sales might be low
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

DevonFFC

They are taking England around the country to promote the teen and allow fans living outside of London go and watch

The Rational Fan

Quote from: DevonFFC on September 11, 2019, 06:56:39 AM
They are taking England around the country to promote the teen and allow fans living outside of London go and watch

The FA have a policy of playing the England team outside London, so other people can have a chance to see them. Frankly, I don't understand the logic of building Wembley and then playing two hours by train from London in a 30,000 seater stadium.

filham

Yes , good idea to move England games away from Wembley from time to time but you would have thought Manchester or the North East would have been the first choice.

General

It makes complete sense to play games away from Wembley every now and then - it allows for greater comprehension for the players of what it means to play and represent an entire nation - going to away grounds and feeling like a home supporters at each one due to fans support but also allowing for fans to feel part of the national team, to feel more invested in the team and their identity and success            a       a           

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: General on September 11, 2019, 11:17:09 AM
It makes complete sense to play games away from Wembley every now and then - it allows for greater comprehension for the players of what it means to play and represent an entire nation - going to away grounds and feeling like a home supporters at each one due to fans support but also allowing for fans to feel part of the national team, to feel more invested in the team and their identity and success            a       a           

0001.jpeg
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

Wales do it, Scotland do it. Even Ireland played Italy at Craven Cottage. It's to appeal To their fan base who aren't just located in the capital, as well as to create a better atmosphere in smaller stadia in Scotland and Wales case in matches that wouldn't sell out in a huge stadium.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: fulhamben on September 10, 2019, 12:00:15 PM
Playing at st Mary's tonight. I'm presuming it's due to Wembley being double booked, or that they knew ticket sales might be low
To make it even harder for Northerners to get to? I get the idea of going to other grounds but why not go to the Midlands or North so that those fans that can't easily get to Wembley can watch England - Southampton would be easier to get to from France than Manchester!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Artful Dodger on September 11, 2019, 01:11:37 PM
To make it even harder for Northerners to get to? I get the idea of going to other grounds but why not go to the Midlands or North so that those fans that can't easily get to Wembley can watch England - Southampton would be easier to get to from France than Manchester!

The main thing stopping someone seeing England play is the ticket price and number of seats available, the location of London wouldn't stop fans with money.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 11, 2019, 01:25:57 PM

The main thing stopping someone seeing England play is the ticket price and number of seats available, the location of London wouldn't stop fans with money.
Having lived in Yorkshire for 25 years until last summer, to get to Wembley for a 7.45 kick off would realistically mean half days holiday, £100 train ticket and a very late return home - not attractive when the game is on TV. Old Trafford was less than hour and Elland Road 30 minutes - both would be far more attractive options when it comes to going to watch a match. If you have the money and the time, you can go anywhere, so your argument is missing the point.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

General

Didn't we play our home international games in Manchester whilst Wembley was being redeveloped? We've definitely played international games at old Trafford in my lifetime on a number of occasions. I'm sure it'd make sense and probably happen in due course to play games in Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham etc too.

Logicalman

I agree, I believe the idea of taking the National Team around the Country is great, but to select the south coast as compared to the Midlands, Manchester, etc, in that goal beggers belief.

Hopefully they will look to extend that in the future.

As for why did they rebuild Wembley and then play international matches elsewhere? Because Levy needed a place for his team to play whilst he dicked about inspecting every light-bulb in the renovations of WHL. Apparently he was looking at Brisbane Road at first but Orient thought it would lower their street cred!  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

fulhamben

Hmm this makes me very sceptical.if the only reason was to bring it to the fans, then this makes me think they are paving the way to selling Wembley.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WhiteJC

surly the idea of playing at a ground that's not been used before is bringing it to the fans?

arguments for playing at Old Trafford/Main Road(whatever its called nowadays), Liverpool, St James', Birmingham, Leeds or Sheffield could be made so I don't see what's wrong playing at Southampton provided a different ground is used next time.

WhiteJC

Quote from: fulhamben on September 11, 2019, 02:03:25 PM
Hmm this makes me very sceptical.if the only reason was to bring it to the fans, then this makes me think they are paving the way to selling Wembley.

I wonder who might be interested in buying it?  :dft012: