watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clubs & Fans: Wolves fan to pay 250K in costs to club

Started by Logicalman, September 10, 2019, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

Have to feel some sympathy towards this particular Wolves fan, not only inasmuch that, if what he says is true, he has missed out on a massive payday, but because of his wanting such recognition, he now faces ruin for his remainder...

I hope the club finds it in their heart to 'forgive' the costs, though I cannot fathom why they couldn't have come to some agreement earlier to have him drop his claim, or at least mediate it in some fashion to avoid all this. I'd be interested to understand where the sketch originated and what 'competition' he claims he submitted it for.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-48379921

Wolverhampton Wanderers badge claimant 'cannot pay' fees

A football fan who claimed to have designed his club's badge says he faces bankruptcy after losing a legal battle over the design.

Peter Davies, 72, said he submitted his version of the Wolverhampton Wanderers emblem for a competition in the 1960s.

His case was thrown out after he was unable to prove the design was copied, and Mr Davies was ordered to pay the club £250,000 by 29 May.

He said he has "no assets" and "obviously can't pay" the legal fees.

"I don't own anything," he said. "I've got a television and these bits of furniture in the house, about £600 in the bank - that's all I own."

Mr Davies, who rents a house in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, told the BBC he "really expected to win" and cried in court at the ruling.

He was represented by "no-win no-fee" law firm Keystone Law Limited.

It declined to comment when approached by the BBC, but Mr Davies said he had been informed of the risks if the case went against him.

John Linneker, a copyright expert, said it was an "awful situation" and hoped a compromise could be reached.

"The legal rules on paying costs are really harsh," he said.

"Individuals like Mr Davies rarely come before the High Court because if they lose and crash and burn they're left with a tonne of money to pay because the loser has to pay the winner's costs."

Although the designs "do look similar", Mr Linneker said a key component was to prove whether one was copied - something Mr Davies admitted he was unable to do.

"I do hope a compromise can be achieved," he said. "It's not a good look for Wolves if they're attempting to bankrupt one of their fans."

Wolverhampton Wanderers declined a request for comment.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Statto on September 10, 2019, 01:27:54 PM
ATE insurance?

Good point, not mentioned in the article, is this available to all law firms or the select few? Also are all law firms bound to offer CFA's?

I read on this particular Firms website that they do, indeed, offer them, though it is dependent on the third party acceptance criteria.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Andy S

He should have been advised to go home and forget about it when he first went to the law firm. Back in the 1960s when there was no memorabilia us young people would draw or make things that can be bought today. It wa# a different world then

davew

Sad world!! We could have bought a decent defender for that money!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

snarks

ATE insurance is available but they don't defer premiums that often. So for £100,000 cover can cost £15,000 in insurance premium. That's still a hefty amount even if the solicitors do it on a no win no fee arrangement