more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team lineup for West Brom

Started by love4ffc, September 11, 2019, 04:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: Jim© on September 12, 2019, 11:22:20 AM
I'm not sure it's entirely worthless as it gives at the least an indicator.

When we got promoted, save % of shots on target was not in the top 6, though much healthier than it is now.
I'd say that Barnsley, Forest (2nd) and Cardiff were all saveable, though of course other factors could have prevented them in the first place (though that's not what's being discussed).

I agree that over time it is an indicator yes, but I stand by that it is not a very good one even then because it still suffers from the relatively small sample size as well as the lack of context. If we are discussing whether specific individual goals were saveable that is of course a very different thing.

Southcoastffc

Back to the original question in respect of team selection, WBA have Charlie Austin and Kenneth Zohore to choose between - or even play together (and WBA have what seems to me to be a very good squad overall) so perhaps one key question is which CBs are best placed, assuming fitness and international effects, to counter one or both of them.  For me, its Ream and Mawson, tho Mawson always worries me.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 12, 2019, 11:44:46 AM
Back to the original question in respect of team selection, WBA have Charlie Austin and Kenneth Zohore to choose between - or even play together (and WBA have what seems to me to be a very good squad overall) so perhaps one key question is which CBs are best placed, assuming fitness and international effects, to counter one or both of them.  For me, its Ream and Mawson, tho Mawson always worries me.

WBA attack will really test us, maybe the game calls to start with three centre backs Ream/MLM, Mawson, Odoi.

Jim©

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 12, 2019, 02:52:04 PM

WBA attack will really test us, maybe the game calls to start with three centre backs Ream/MLM, Mawson, Odoi.

I think changing the shape of the team when we're beginning to look proficient defensively would be the wrong thing to do. If anything,  3 at the back plays into the hands of teams with really good wide players (such as West Brom) as the WBs can often get caught up field (and we've two particularly attack minded ones).
I'd suggest that they're not relishing the thought of facing Mitro, Cav and Knockers.

hovewhite

Mawson is not up to the mark for me,and think Hector will replace him.

hovewhite

Sorry, when allowed by the EFL of course!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Jim© on September 12, 2019, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 12, 2019, 02:52:04 PM

I think changing the shape of the team when we're beginning to look proficient defensively would be the wrong thing to do. If anything,  3 at the back plays into the hands of teams with really good wide players (such as West Brom) as the WBs can often get caught up field (and we've two particularly attack minded ones).
I'd suggest that they're not relishing the thought of facing Mitro, Cav and Knockers.

True, we need full backs and not wing backs against WBA; it's a back four or back five. The later is probably too defensive for a home game with the front three we have, but maybe if we get ahead a couple of goals,

We Are Premier League

Quote from: love4ffc on September 11, 2019, 04:19:37 AM
International duty is finally coming to an end, thank goodness.  With that in mind, and considering that Arter will not be available, what would be your starting lineup? 

Mitro continues to be on fire so obviously he will lead the lineup.  I see no reason for the back four to change so Steven, Mawson, Ream and Bryan will defend with Betts still in goals.  Tom will retain his spot and I would assume Knockaert and Cavaleiro will also.  So that leaves just two players in the midfield to finish out the starting XI. 

I would be tempted to start Stef as he seems to have had a successful week during his national call up.  He should be running high with scoring a goal against Sweden.  That leaves only one more slot to fill.  Personally, I would continue to go with Reed, but I would be curious to hear other's thoughts. 

:plus one:

JEEVES

Quote from: love4ffc on September 11, 2019, 04:19:37 AM
International duty is finally coming to an end, thank goodness.  With that in mind, and considering that Arter will not be available, what would be your starting lineup? 

Mitro continues to be on fire so obviously he will lead the lineup.  I see no reason for the back four to change so Steven, Mawson, Ream and Bryan will defend with Betts still in goals.  Tom will retain his spot and I would assume Knockaert and Cavaleiro will also.  So that leaves just two players in the midfield to finish out the starting XI. 

I would be tempted to start Stef as he seems to have had a successful week during his national call up.  He should be running high with scoring a goal against Sweden.  That leaves only one more slot to fill.  Personally, I would continue to go with Reed, but I would be curious to hear other's thoughts. 

Team is absolutely spot on what I would pick and also the most obvious team and therefore what I would bet my money on.

That is of course assuming everyone is fit and 100% after the internationals.

I would be tempted to start Kmac and potentially sub him once he's lagging but then again Scotty P may have already decided by this point that Harrisom Reed is his next choice DM when Harry Arter is unavailable.

On that topic Harry Arter is not and has never been a proper DM but I my opinion (and I think maybe also SP's opinion) is that you can get away without a proper DM if you play two box to box midfielders (stefjo) who both chase down balls and tackle a lot in midfield and free up TC to play his best position as an attacking/ creative midfielder who can focus on creating chances for our disgusting front three.

Fernhurst

disgusting front three . ????

So glad I'm not, but if I were Scotty may be tempted to pull Steven out for this crucial game.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

MikeCdawg

Also fully agree with OP. I would also pick Johansen, good week in internationals, should be confident in himself and he played for West brom last season so could have more game knowledge.
Personally, because we're at home, I'd go for Onomah or Bobby Reid for 3rd midfield slot. It won't happen, but my first choice would be O'Riley. Although I'd be happy with Harrison or Kmac. Great options to have, can only be good that we have such depth and competition for places.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 13, 2019, 10:02:09 PM
disgusting front three . ????

So glad I'm not, but if I were Scotty may be tempted to pull Steven out for this crucial game.

I strongly expect him to bench S.Sess, Ream and Reed; we maybe back to the Barnsley lineup, with Knockaert instead of Kamara.

JoelH5

After Mitrovic, I think Arter is our most important player. I expect us to really struggle without him.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Fernhurst

Agreed, it's surprising how important Harry has become over a relatively short period.
It's was absolutely guaranteed Colin and his mob were going to attempt to get him sent off and they succeeded just when we really needed him today.
He is not a young kid, he really should not allowed that to happen.
Him not playing might be the difference between the teams today.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 14, 2019, 07:15:50 AM
Agreed, it's surprising how important Harry has become over a relatively short period.
It's was absolutely guaranteed Colin and his mob were going to attempt to get him sent off and they succeeded just when we really needed him today.
He is not a young kid, he really should not allowed that to happen.
Him not playing might be the difference between the teams today.

Midfield and Defensive reserves need to be able to do their job, otherwise we have no chance this season. Frankly, losing Anguissa and Seri will hurt when we haven't got either Arter or Cairney.

MrFFC

For West Brom

Rodak

Sessegnon    Mawson    Ream    Bryan

Reed

Johansen    Cairney

Knockeart                                   Cavaleiro

Mitrovic

Subs - Bettinelli , Christie , Odoi , McDonald , Onomah , Reid , Kamara
Come on you Whites!! :)

filham

Suspect we may use more than one player today to replace Arter, possibly McDonald for first 60 minutes then maybe Reed used as first sub.