watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 13/09/19...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2019, 07:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Are Handily Placed In The Championship Table But What Will The Next Three Fixtures Bring?

After completing six games in the new Championship season, Fulham sit in 6th place in the Championship table with a total of 10 points obtained from the 18 available.

To me, that represents a steady start upon which we can, hopefully, mount a promotion campaign that will see the club make a quick return to the Premier League.

After completing three games, here at Vital Fulham, we ran an article Click Here, asking you to predict just how many points Fulham would collect from their next three games.

In fact, the side collected four out of the nine available, a poorer return than some of you had hoped for.

But, with the international break now over and with the Championship set to resume this weekend, we're asking you to repeat the exercise.

With our next three Championship fixtures being:

• Fulham v West Brom (Saturday 14 September)
• Sheffield Wednesday v Fulham (Saturday 21 September)
• Fulham v Wigan (Friday 27 September)

How many points do you reckon Scott Parker's side can accumulate?

Personally, I'd be disappointed if we collected fewer than 5, but please feel free to have your say by dropping your viewpoint into the comment facility beneath this article.

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/fulham-are-handily-placed-in-the-championship-table-but-what-will-the-next-three-fixtures-bring/

WhiteJC

Fulham legend Tony Gale shares what West Brom's Julian Dicks has made of Championship life so far

The Baggies coach, along with Slaven Bilic, arrived at The Hawthorns this summer and West Brom have enjoyed a bright start to the season.

Fulham legend Tony Gale has shared his pre-match thoughts ahead of West Bromwich Albion's visit on Saturday and also disclosed what ex-teammate and current Baggies coach Julian Dicks told him about how he and Slaven Bilic are finding life in the Championship (Fulham website).

Craven Cottage will see Fulham lock horns with West Brom in Saturday's early kickoff as two sides gunning for promotion to the Premier League and both currently in the playoff places seek to edge closer to the top of the table ahead of the 3pm games.

Despite being sixth in the standings, the Cottagers have gone three games without a win in all competitions, while the Baggies are unbeaten so far in the league and held their own at Nottingham Forest, Luton Town and Derby County.

"It's a testing return to action this Saturday, as West Brom will be one of the teams up the top, no doubt about it," Gale, who made upwards of 250 appearances for Fulham from 1977 to 1984, wrote in his column on their website. "They've still got some Premier League quality players, and they'll continue improving the more used to the division Slaven Bilic gets.

"My old teammate Julian Dicks is a coach there now with Slaven. I spoke to Dicksy the other night and he was saying how difficult they've found the division and how every point you gain is a hard earned one."

Dicks is currently managing in the Championship for the first time, but previously worked with Bilic in the Premier League at West Ham, another club where Gale is also revered, having made 300 appearances for the Hammers.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/12/fulham-tony-gale-west-brom-julian-dicks-championship-life-so-far/

WhiteJC

Fulham legend Tony Gale looks ahead to Sheffield Wednesday fixture

The Cottagers will face Sheff Wed at Hillsborough a week on Saturday and Gale has spoken highly of the Owls.

Fulham legend Tony Gale has spoken highly of Sheffield Wednesday, their Championship opponents a week on Saturday, praising their team and their stadium in his column on the Cottagers official website.

After this Saturday's league game, against West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage, Scott Parker's charges head to Hillsborough - described by Gale as a "proper football ground" - where they will take on the Owls, now with Garry Monk in charge.

Wednesday were left reeling by Steve Bruce's departure just weeks the season started but Lee Bullen did a good job as caretaker manager, claiming three wins from their first six Championship games and putting them in the top half of the table ahead of the international break.

The Owls are in action on Sunday as they travel to Huddersfield Town, whose new manager Danny Cowley was linked with the Hillsborough job, but after that they will host Fulham, who are in the top six.

"Sheffield Wednesday... is never an easy trip," Gale wrote in his column. "I commentated on their first game against Reading, and I was impressed with them. Lee Bullen was in charge then but of course Garry Monk's taken over now, so they'll be hoping to have that new manager bounce.

"They've got some experienced players in there, and they're especially strong in midfield. It's away from home, and Hillsborough is what I call a proper football ground. It's a big club and that will be one of our more difficult fixtures this season."

Wednesday and Fulham have played 75 competitive fixtures over the years, with 32 Owls wins, 27 Cottagers wins and 16 draws, according to stats website 11v11.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/12/fulham-tony-gale-on-sheff-wed-hillsborough/

WhiteJC

Man arrested in Aleksandar Mitrovic transfer probe named
Former Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck has been arrested as part of an investigation linked to Aleksandar Mitrovic's move to Newcastle United, according to a report.

Herman Van Holsbeeck.

It was yesterday revealed that police had made two arrests after raids in London, Belgium and Monaco.

And AFP report that Van Holsbeeck has also been held by police probing payments made as part of Mitrovic's moves from Partizan Belgrade to Anderlecht six years ago and from the Belgian club to Newcastle.

Van Holsbeeck was a senior figure at Anderlecht for 15 years. He left his post last year.

Mitrovic, 24, joined United in 2015 for £13million. The striker joined Fulham on loan the season before last, and was sold to the club a year ago. Mitrovic had been a cult figure at Newcastle. He had found his opportunities limited following the arrival of Rafa Benitez three years ago.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/man-arrested-aleksandar-mitrovic-transfer-probe-named-565177

WhiteJC

Experience Fulham Palace

Combine the thrill of watching the matchday action unfold, with traditional culinary delights to enjoy at the historic Fulham Palace, as our new Buffet option launches this Saturday when Fulham welcome West Bromwich Albion to SW6 (kick-off 12:30pm).

Here, you'll enjoy a selection of high-quality traditional food dishes in an intimate environment, perfectly poised to suit London's original football club.

With drinks included, you'll make the short trip through Bishops Park ahead of kick-off before taking your seat at Craven Cottage for the match.

YOUR BUFFET PACKAGE INCLUDES:
• Hosted by Fulham record goalscorer Gordon Davies
• Prosecco on arrival
• Hot and cold buffet served pre-match
• Pre-match inclusive beer, wine and soft drinks
• Seats in the Putney End to watch the match
• Matchday programmes and team sheets per guest
• Complimentary half-time drink from the Putney End concourse

Elevate your matchday experience with the Fulham Palace Buffet, priced at £140 per person (+ VAT).

Season Ticket Holders are now also able to upgrade their seat to include Matchday Hospitality at Fulham Palace, priced at £120+VAT.

Supporters wishing to purchase the Fulham Palace A La Carte option can do so, with more information here.

Secure your space online, by calling 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5.30pm) or by emailing [email protected].

*Fulham Palace Buffet subject to availability.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/12/experience-fulham-palace

WhiteJC

Head Coach WBA Preview

Scott Parker says his side have used the international break to regroup and work hard on the training pitch following a pleasing first stretch of the season.

Fulham have impressed after a shaky start to life back in the Sky Bet Championship, picking up ten points from a possible fifteen in their last five games.

"The international break gives you time to recoup and get some work in," said Parker.

"I had my fingers crossed that the players all came back fit and healthy, and some of them just came back today.

"Overall, after six games, we're pleased with the way it's gone.

"Last year, we were used to losing games and it became a bit of a habit, but now we're in a league where we're expected to do something. I'm happy with the way we've started.

"We got off to a slow start, but we bounced back with some very good results in a very tough league. We all understand how tough this league is."

With the Whites set to face West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage on Saturday, an attacking game of football is anticipated, and Parker's fully aware of the opposition's offensive weapons.

"I'm fully aware of West Brom's quality, they're a very good side who will certainly be up there," continued Fulham's Head Coach.

"We've prepared like we do for every game, as we realise the challenge ahead.

"They've been in this division for two years now, so have come to grips with it.

"They've got a manager in Slaven Bilić who understands it and knows what it's about.

"They have some very good players, experience players, so we're looking forward to it. I expect it's going to be a very good game."

Aleksandar Mitrović has been in fine form, netting three times for Serbia as they target qualification for the European Championship, and Parker is hopeful that his striker's goalscoring streak continues.

"He's massively important to us, that's clear," Parker stated.

"He's a talisman, scored a lot of goal when this football club went up, and showed his qualities in the Premier League.

"You judge your goalscorer on scoring goals, so confidence is high. Hopefully he can stay in the form he's in."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/12/scott-parker-preview-wba

WhiteJC

2 West Brom changes Slaven Bilic should consider making ahead of trip to Fulham

West Bromwich Albion are undefeated in four matches, earning eight points from a possible 12 – with their latest three coming at the Hawthorns against Blackburn Rovers in a 3-2 victory.

Despite this good run of form, they soon face a different type of challenge entirely in the form of Fulham. The Baggies travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday in a tie that puts together two teams hoping for automatic promotion this season.

Slaven Bilic may very well remain content in not changing a winning formula, but here are two ideas to give him some food for thought.

Hal Robson-Kanu for Charlie Austin

The striker may have only played one game since the turn of the new season for West Brom, but it was Robson-Kanu's performance in their behind closed doors Central League fixture that may have peaked the interest of Bilic and made more than a fair case for his place in the team.

The Welshman grabbed a first half hat-trick in the match in a 4-3 win on Monday. The manager was in attendance for the match and may have to consider the striker for this weekend.

Austin hasn't really started the way many had expected him to either. The striker, who arrived from Southampton this summer, has failed to score in the Championship after three games, with his only goal for his new club coming against Millwall in the Football League Cup.

Filip Krovinovic for Matheus Pereira

In West Brom's number 10 role, you can take your pick between three good players. Krovinovic and Pereira join Kyle Edwards who have all had their chance in the position this season. The latter is the only one of the three to score a goal this season and has the best pass completion percentage of them all. He could easily be swapped into the team too.

Krovinovic, however, is Croatian and probably knows better than anyone in that team how Bilic will want to play and how to play against him; the youngster was in the under-21 squad at the time Bilic was managing the first team.

Against Fulham at Craven Cottage, chances may be few and far between. Of the three, perhaps the on-loan Benfica man is best equipped to unlock spaces and create chances for the Baggies against a tight Fulham defence that have conceded just two goals at home in the Championship so far.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-west-brom-changes-slaven-bilic-should-consider-making-ahead-of-trip-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton interested in Brazilian, negotiations ongoing

Surprising claims from Brazil this week say three English sides are currently following Thiago Pinto.

Outlet Lance reports Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace and Fulham are all interested in signing the player, who currently belongs to Catalan side Manresia.

The chase has been confirmed by the player's agent, who isn't named, and it's said he's currently negotiating the 19 year old's move to the United Kingdom.

Thiago Pinto signed for Manresia this summer. The club currently play in the Spanish fourth division, which is actually an amateur league, and this is said to be the youngster's first 'professional' challenge.

Although Lance call Thiago Pinto 'one of the Brazilian football's revelations', that's greatly stretching things (we've never heard of him), even though a few websites mention his past in Barcelona's youth ranks.

Perhaps it's true that Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton are all after the player, although we wonder what convinced them to go and check out a fourth division side.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/crystal-palace-fulham-charlton-interested-brazilian-negotiations-ongoing/

WhiteJC

Darnell Furlong: West Brom prepared for tough test at Cottage

DARNELL FURLONG says Albion are braced for their toughest test so far as they prepare to take on Fulham.

The Baggies – fresh from the international break – travel to the capital on Saturday where they will face a Fulham side eager to get back on track on home turf.

With a front three of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Anthony Knockaert and Ivan Cavaleiro, the Londoners are widely seen as one of the favourites to win promotion this year.

But they have lost their last two matches at Craven Cottage with a 2-1 loss to Nottingham Forest followed by a League Cup defeat to Southampton.

Albion, in contrast, are unbeaten in six Championships outings.

But Furlong knows the team will have to be at their best if they are to taste victory on Saturday.

"Fulham is a great game to get us going again and we just have to make sure we're ready for it," the defender said.

"I think it could be our toughest test so far, especially as it's away from home.

"They were a Premier League side last season so it's going to be a difficult game.

"It was nice to go into the international break unbeaten.

"Now we're looking forward to carrying that on."

Snapped up from QPR in the summer, Furlong says he has quickly settled into life at The Hawthorns.

And the full-back revealed he is particularly enjoying being part of an attacking side.

"We play an attractive style of football which is nice to be involved in," he continued.

"It's different to what I've been involved in before.

"I've played different styles with different managers and this is one that I'm really enjoying."

Albion have a host of talented full-backs on their books with Furlong, Nathan Ferguson, Kieran Gibbs, Conor Townsend and Chris Brunt all comfortable in the role.

For Furlong, though, that competition for places is only a positive.

"Competition is always good for the squad," he said.

"For morale, it's important no-one thinks they're playing every game.

"I've seen that in the past and players can become a little bit relaxed in how they do things. It's good competition, and it's the best thing for the football club."

One full-back who has particularly caught the eye this season is Ferguson who has returned to Albion having spent the past week with England Under-20s.

"He's very good – I didn't know he was 18 when I came in," Furlong said.

"He's fitted into the group very well, I think he only came in this season.

"As I said, there's good competition everywhere and we're just enjoying trying to play."

Despite Albion's unbeaten start, Furlong says there is no danger of over-confidence in the group.

"There's confidence in the group but we're not getting ahead of ourselves," he added.

"There's no arrogance in training or in games. We've worked hard for the results we've got."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/09/12/darnell-furlong-west-brom-prepared-for-tough-test-at-cottage/

WhiteJC

THE SECRET SCOUT: Fulham starlet Steven Sessegnon is a positive flying forward but must improve discipline

Secret Scout takes a look at Fulham youngster Steven Sessegnon this week
    19-year-old Sessegnon is the talented brother of Tottenham starlet Ryan
    The full back is an exciting player and trusted by Fulham's coaching staff

Our scout is a top football expert who attends matches each week searching for the next star.

This week Sportsmail's Secret Scout places Fulham starlet Steven Sessegnon under the microscope...

This week Sportsmail's Secret Scout looks at Fulham youngster Steven Sessegnon

WHAT HAS HE GOT?

The twin brother of Tottenham's Ryan has won a spot in the Fulham defence, having joined from schoolboy football.

As a full back, he is well-built, strong and around 5ft 9in. Very much right-footed, he has played many academy games as a centre half but he may lack the height for that position.

In the game I saw, he got caught out at right back, pushing forward when a pass went astray in midfield. His opponent took advantage to race away and score with a cross-shot. Sessegnon had been the victim of his own adventure. As a young player, he will make mistakes but the most important thing is how he reacts. Here, he was more than positive.

Positioning himself well for a right to left crossfield ball, he strode forward confidently to intercept and head clear. In the following moments he cleared an awkward situation with a swing of his left boot, not worrying if the ball landed in Row Z. He then headed away well under pressure but twice late on he looked insecure as he tried to win the ball early in the air against taller opponents.

Sessegnon can be slightly impetuous at times but his enthusiasm shines through at full back

His team play a passing game and as such he has the opportunity to break forward when the opposition are defending with a narrow block. His pace seems adequate but what I really liked was his body position when confronting an opponent who has possession — eyes on the ball, forcing the player inside and into the path of the covering midfield.

I also liked how he broke forward once on the inside rather than the overlap. The element of surprise almost resulted in a goal.

WHAT DOES HE NEED?

As a full back, he must sometimes hold his run rather than always going forward in search of a one-two.

He can be slightly impetuous at times but his enthusiasm shines through.

It looks clear that Fulham's coaching staff feel the time has come to give him his head and I am sure he will repay their faith.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7458059/THE-SECRET-SCOUT-Fulham-starlet-Steven-Sessegnon-positive-flying-forward.html

WhiteJC

2 players Fulham didn't but should have loaned out in the transfer window

It has been a somewhat underwhelming start to the season for Scott Parker's Fulham, who will be looking to get back to winning ways against West Bromwich Albion this weekend.

The Cottagers went big in the summer on the likes of Anthony Knockaert, Bobby Reid and Ivan Cavaleiro – players who have all thrived at Championship level before.

The goal for Parker's side is to win promotion back to the top-flight at the first time of asking this season, but the London club have got off to a stuttering start, winning three of their opening six league games, and failing to pick up all three points in their last two league outings.

Parker overhauled his squad with a host of big-name signings in the summer, but also bid farewell to those players who played a massive part in their relegation from the Premier League last season.

There are still some players who will be looking to move on in January, after failing to complete a move away during the course of the summer.

Here, we take a look at two players who should have been loaned out in the summer...

Martell Taylor-Crossdale

Taylor-Crossdale arrived at Craven Cottage on a two-year deal from Chelsea in the summer, having been a prolific goalscorer for the Blues in the academy.

The 19-year-old initially joined up with Mark Pembridge's under-23 squad, but was given his senior debut for the Cottagers in a 1-0 defeat to Southampton in the Carabao Cup last month.

The striker was only brought on with just minutes left to play, and will have hardly taken a lot of experience or lessons from his first appearance for the club.

Scoring goals for the under-23s week in, week out is one thing, but a loan move away to earn regular game-time in mens' football could have been beneficial for him.

Ibrahima Cisse

Cisse signed for Fulham ahead of the 2017/18 campaign, the season where they won the Sky Bet Championship play-offs under Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 25-year-old has since made only 13 appearances for the Cottagers, making only six appearances in all competitions last season with only two of those coming in the Premier League.

He is completely out-of-favour under Scott Parker, and with the quality that they have in midfield, it's highly unlikely that he will break into the team anytime soon.

He should have followed Jean Michael Seri's suit and left the club on loan in the summer.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-players-fulham-didnt-but-should-have-loaned-out-in-the-transfer-window/