WhiteJC

Results

Friday
Derby
1-1
Cardiff

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Scott Parker shares honest opinion of West Brom and Slaven Bilic

Fulham and West Bromwich Albion will lock horns at Craven Cottage on Saturday and Scott Parker is looking forward to taking on the Baggies and Slaven Bilic.

Ahead of their Championship fixture with West Bromwich Albion, Fulham manager Scott Parker has given his thoughts on the Baggies and boss Slaven Bilic, in conversation with the Cottagers website.

Craven Cottage will see the West Londoners lock horns with West Brom in Saturday's early kickoff as two sides seeking promotion to the Premier League and both currently in the playoff places seek to edge closer to the top of the table ahead of the bulk of the league's fixtures.

Despite being sixth in the standings, Fulham have gone three games without a win in all competitions, while the Baggies - who appointed Bilic in the summer - are unbeaten so far in the division and put in solid displays against Nottingham Forest, Luton Town and Derby County.

Parker is expecting a tough but "very good" game against a "quality" side featuring some very good players who he reckons will be in the upper echelons of the table, while their manager is knowledgeable and knows what the division is about.

"I'm fully aware of West Brom's quality, they're a very good side who will certainly be up there," Parker told the Fulham media team. "We've prepared like we do for every game, as we realise the challenge ahead.

"They've been in this division for two years now, so have come to grips with it. They've got a manager in Slaven Bilic who understands it and knows what it's about. They have some very good players, experienced players, so we're looking forward to it. I expect it's going to be a very good game."

Fulham are back in the Championship after a one-year stay in the Premier League, while WBA reached the playoffs last term, coming within two games of bringing Premier League football back to The Hawthorns.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/13/fulham-scott-parker-opinion-west-brom-slaven-bilic/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Micky Gray makes bold claim about Fulham and Leeds

Former Leeds United defender Micky Gray has highlighted Fulham and Leeds United as the top two sides in the Championship this season, in an exclusive interview with Football League World Chief Editor, Sam Rourke.

After six games, Leeds are third with 12 points, three places above Fulham in sixth, who have 10 points.

Speaking exclusively to Rourke, Gray highlighted the two sides as the finest in the division.

He said: "There is no doubt I think Leeds United are probably one of the best two teams in the Championship.

"They're certainly one of the favourites, there is no doubt about it. It's a good squad of players.

He added: "Fulham, if they get it right, their forward players are always going to cause a threat to anybody that they come up against."

However, Gray did have some concerns about the way Leeds struggled toward the end of the 2018/19 campaign.

He said: "I was very impressed with them last season.

"My only worry was that Bielsa came into that club trying to explain to a squad of players that they're going work their socks off like they've never worked before. You just wonder how many players really buy into that.

"I think they did until a point near the end of the season where it seemed like every time they had an opportunity to go top of the table they slipped up.

"Whether the players have learned from that this season is yet to be seen as it's still early on."

Fulham face West Bromwich Albion at Craven Cottage in the lunchtime kick-off on Saturday, while Leeds have to wait until Sunday for their visit to Oakwell to play Barnsley.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-micky-gray-makes-bold-claim-about-fulham-and-leeds/

WhiteJC

Report: Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton want Thiago Pinto

Thiago Pinto could be on his way to the Premier League with Crystal Palace but Fulham and the Addicks allegedly want to lure him to the Championship too.

Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton Athletic are all competing to lure Thiago Pinto to London in the new year with interest rising in the Brazilian striker, according to Lance.

Pinto might not be a household name right now but that could soon change. One of the rising stars of Brazilian football is currently playing for Spanish minnows CE Manresa but his prolific displays for the Catalan-based outfit have caught the eye of a number of clubs from the English capital.

Lance claims that Crystal Palace are hoping to make Pinto a Premier League player after the turn of the year while Fulham and Charlton, who are currently flying high in the Championship top six, are hoping to conclude a deal.

The former Vasca do Gama youngster is apparently already in negotiations over a switch from Spain to England after recovering from a prolonged spell on the sidelines with a knee injury.

"Being my first year as a professional, I think it's a great opportunity to show my potential," Pinto told Lance earlier in 2019.

"I will make the most of this period here so I can reach my goal step by step. I thank the club for their confidence and I am focused on making a great season - finished the player."

Pinto never revealed what his 'goal' is. But surely playing in the Premier League or for one of the Championship's most competitive clubs would be a dream come true for a player who has the world at his feet.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/13/do-report-crystal-palace-fulham-and-charlton-want-thiago-pinto/

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Brom: Inside track on The Cottagers

West Brom make the trip down to London this weekend as they take on Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Get to know Scott Parker's side

We spoke with Russell Goldman from Cottage Talk, and George Cooper from the Fulhamish podcast, to get a proper look at Scott Parker's side.

See what he had to say here...
How have Fulham started this season? Are things going well?

RG: The beginning of the season has been good so far, but Fulham are a work in progress.

I can certainly see in two months time, the players really clicking together and going on an unbeaten streak like they did two seasons ago.

With several new faces, it is going to take some time.

GC: It's been up and down!

But suppose that is to be expected given the circumstances: Terrible season last year, new unproven manager, plethora of new signings. Overall I am happy.

We're notoriously slow starters, but I am comfortable with where we are at the moment.
What are the expectations at Craven Cottage this season, is there some pressure to achieve promotion?

RG: I am expecting automatic promotion based on the players coming back from a couple of seasons ago in the Championship, and the additions that have been added this summer.

In my opinion just ending in the top six is not good enough. This club should gain automatic promotion, but it is up to the players and the coaching staff to make it happen.

Ivan Cavaleiro is on loan at the club from Wolves

GC: I would say so. Automatic promotion is the target, the club have been very clear.

I think anything other than promotion, whether that be automatic or via the playoffs, will be seen as a disappointment.
What have you made of Scott Parker's reign so far, is it an improvement?

RG: Just like the players on the pitch, he is a work in progress, and I will give him a chance to prove me wrong.

I wanted an established manager to be in charge of Fulham this season, but Parker deserves the time to make the club a success this season.

It is too early to tell if he is the right manager for Fulham.

GC: Anything was an improvement on Ranieri! The man did a lot of damage to the club, he just didn't care.

Scott is the opposite. He deserves his chance and I'm totally behind him. You get the impression he is learning and developing.

I do think he has what it takes to become a top manager and I hope we see what he's capable of at Fulham.
What kind of football can we expect to see from Fulham?

RG: It is not exactly the same style under Jokanovic, but Fulham want to control possession and attack.

I expect you will see that on Saturday, but West Brom it seems want to do the same so this should be a fascinating match.

GC: Anywhere between four and seven attacking players on the field at any one time, I believe it's what's known in american football as the "Hail Mary" approach.

Lots of passes, high possession but defensive frailties. Never a dull moment.
Who are the big danger men to worry about in the Fulham ranks for West Brom?

RG: It's the three up front as you have Aleksandar Mitrovic, Anthony Knockaert, and Ivan Cavaleiro to deal with which are all a handful.

When these three players are huge factors in the match, Fulham have an excellent chance to win. In midfield, you have Tom Cairney who is very important as well as he can create the opportunities for the three up front.

GC: Mitrovic has eight goals in seven games and is well and truly on fire as his song suggests. He's our biggest threat no-question.

His strength, finishing and positioning make him a real handful for even the most hardened Championship defenders.

We've also got Ivan Cavaleiro who is pitching in with goals and Anthony Knockaert (Tony Knockers) who is hitting his stride.
What's your predicted line-up for Fulham?

RG: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Mawson, Ream, Bryan, Cairney, Reed, Johansen, Cavaleiro, Mitrovic, Knockaert

GC: I think we'll go with: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Mawson, Ream, Bryan Cairney, Johansson, Reed, Knockaert, Mitro, Cavaleiro
Are there any injury worries at Craven Cottage this season?

RG: Not right now, but a big loss for this match is Harry Arter who is suspended for the match.

He has been very good for Fulham most of time this season, but he really cost Fulham with his two yellow cards against Cardiff City.

He will be a significant miss on Saturday.

GC: We pray Mitro stays fit! Mawson as well. Cairney is quite injury prone also. Fingers crossed they can stay off the treatment bench.
What have you made of West Brom from afar this season? Do you think they could challenge for promotion?

RG: I expect them to contend for automatic promotion and I see them on the same level as Fulham with quality players and they do have a manager who I believe can lead them back to the Premier League.

This will be a very tough match for both clubs.

Aleksandar Mitrovic could be a big threat from Fulham.

GC: Started very well. You have some real threats going forward, Zohore always seems to score against us.

I've always liked Bilic as a coach, I think you'll be there or there abouts come the end of the season! Can't wait to visit the Hawthorns also, it's a ground I've always wanted to go to.
Your match prediction?

RG: 2-1 Fulham.

I think this is a very important match for Parker's side and it could go any way, but I think the hosts will find a way to win.

GC: Tough game, but I'm thinking 2-1 Fulham. COYW!

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/09/13/fulham-v-west-brom-inside-track-on-the-cottagers/

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Fulham v West Bromwich Albion - Craven Cottage - Saturday 14th September 2019 - 12.30pm

The opposition

A very solid start to the season sees the Baggies sit two places above Fulham in fourth, having won three and drawn three of their games so far, making them one of a trio of Championship sides who remain unbeaten. They added some firepower up top this summer with the additions of Charlie Austin and Kenneth Zohore, but winger Grady Diangana tops their scoring charts, with the on-loan West Ham United man having netted three times in his four appearances.
Fulham doubts

None
Fulham suspensions

Harry Arter
West Brom doubts

Ahmed Hegazi, Kieran Gibbs
Tickets
Tickets remain available for supporters to purchase on General Sale.
Weather

It will be a decent day in SW6; dry and sunny with temperatures around 19 degrees at lunchtime.
FFCtv coverage

Due to the fixture being televised live on Sky Sports, we are not able to provide a live stream of the game on FFCtv. Live commentary will, though, be available for subscribers to listen to.
Dafabet match odds

Fulham: 21/20

Draw: 13/5

West Brom: 5/2

Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ only. begambleaware.org
He said

"It's a great game to get us going again and we just have to make sure we're ready for it. I think it could be our toughest test so far, especially as it's away from home. They were a Premier League side last season so it's going to be a difficult game." – West Brom right-back Darnell Furlong
Form

Fulham: WWLLD

West Brom: LWDDW

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/13/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Pochettino wants Tottenham to be Sessegnon's platform for success

Tottenham will do everything they can to provide Ryan Sessegnon with the platform he needs to flourish, says manager Mauricio Pochettino.

The talented England Under-21 international is fit again after moving to Spurs in August while carrying a hamstring injury.

At Fulham, Sessegnon established himself as one of the brightest prospects in the country, finding the net 15 times in the Championship during the 2017-18 campaign.

While the 19-year-old found the step up to the Premier League more challenging last season, Pochettino is confident he will enjoy success at Tottenham, but called for patience.

He said: "You can be a very good player, but you need a platform, team-mates and good coaching staff to help you. Then you need time and luck and training hard and hard work.

"Sometimes the people don't realise that for a player with talent to have a good career and be successful you need a platform. Tottenham, I hope, will provide that platform.

"It's the platform provided for Dele Alli, Harry Kane and Harry Winks and different players that were very successful in their moment. I hope that happens with him too because he's a great talent."

Ryan Sessegnon, second right, played a key role in helping Fulham win promotion to the Premier League in the 2017-18 season (John Walton/PA).

Tottenham's interest in Sessegnon charts back to when he made his debut as a 16-year-old in the 2016-17 campaign.

Capable of playing anywhere on the left side – full-back, wing-back or as a winger – the teenager was used in a variety of different positions by Fulham last season.

It perhaps explains why he struggled with the step up, in addition to working with three different managers.

Sessegnon even played as a right winger on occasions, but still managed to score three goals in the Premier League.

After recovering from a hamstring issue, the Londoner will hope to make the Tottenham squad on a matchday for the first time against Crystal Palace on Saturday, but his manager is not yet decided where best to use him given his recent injury lay-off.

Pochettino added: "I cannot tell you. We'll see. Because Thursday was the first day he was involved with the whole team and still he's not had one tactical session with us.

"We were six or seven players training in the last week and still I cannot tell if he's going to play in one or another position. We're going to assess him and see how he adapts to the new club and new level of football.

"From the Championship with Fulham to Tottenham in the Champions League is going to be completely different.

"The good thing is that he has the capacity to play in different positions. That's an interesting quality and maybe he can play in different positions for us. It will be very helpful."

Sessegnon will not be the only teenager hoping to make their Tottenham debut this month, after forward Troy Parrott enjoyed a week to remember on international duty.

The academy prospect scored three times for Republic of Ireland Under-21s and was named in the club's Champions League squad.

But Pochettino said: "I think he needs time, we need to be relaxed. We cannot put his name in the spotlight every day because we're not going to help him by doing that.

"He's still so young. The best way to help him is to be calm and relaxed about him. If he's going to be involved, perfect. If he's going to be involved with the Under-23s instead, perfect.

"Sometimes he'll train with us, good. Now it's a process where he needs to be relaxed. If we put too much pressure we're going to force or push him to make a mistake and that's what we don't want."

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/pochettino-wants-tottenham-be-sessegnons-platform-success#WDrobVF0l7i9JUbR.99

WhiteJC

David Prutton offers prediction for West Brom's clash with Fulham tomorrow

David Prutton has predicted a score draw when West Brom travel to Craven Cottage for the lunchtime kick-off on Saturday.

Both sides come into the game on the back of a fairly good start to the season and will both have intentions of reaching the Premier League once more.

West Brom have remained unbeaten and sit in fourth place whilst Fulham sit just two places behind in sixth.

Scott Parker's side will be looking to bounce back from their last home game where they fell to defeat against Sabri Lamouchi's Nottingham Forest.

The Baggies will come into the fixture in high spirits having beaten Blackburn before the international break, but it's set to be an interesting matchup with both sides having very strong Championship squads at their disposal.

Prutton has predicted that there will be goals, but shared across both sides. He's gone for a 2-2 draw.

Speaking in his Sky Sports column, Prutton said: "Two of the best attacking units in the division meet at Craven Cottage! Both sides will have their sights set on automatic promotion and will approach every game this season with the intention to win.

"Neither has had the most consistent start, which is to be expected after a relegation for one and a change of manager for the other. I fancy goals, but I can't split the pair."

The Verdict

This has all the makings of a very good game on Saturday, and both sides will fancy their chances heading into the fixture.

It'll be interesting to see whether Slaven Bilic will opt to remain with the out of form, Charlie Austin, up top or whether he feels the need to bring in Kenneth Zohore.

Fulham will be hoping to put a little run together after stuttering at Cardiff and losing to Nottingham Forest.

I think it'll be open, but the away side will be up for this, and I fancy them to runaway 1-2 winners.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/david-prutton-offers-prediction-for-west-broms-clash-with-fulham-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Baggies face sternest test so far at Fulham

After an international break during which the vast majority of the Baggies' squad will have been well rested, Slaven Bilić takes his team to Craven Cottage for the lunchtime kick off on Saturday in what should be a real test for his unbeaten side.

In stark difference to what we have been used to in recent years, only a handful of the Albion squad were involved in action for their countries over the international break, with only Matt Phillips (Scotland) and Semi Ajayi (Nigeria) seeing senior action.  Nathan Ferguson was the only other first team regular to play as he made his debut for the England U20s in a 1-0 win in Switzerland, while Dara O'Shea played in both of the Republic of Ireland U21 fixtures.  Ahmed Hegazi's Egypt did not play over this weekend but the Baggies centre back would have missed out through injury anyway.

Fulham represent the toughest test of Albion's season to date.  Nottingham Forest may be good enough to challenge for the top six, but many see the Cottagers as one of the favourites for promotion thanks to their potent front three of Ivan Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert and Aleksandar Mitrović.

Scott Parker's team surprisingly lost on the opening day at Barnsley, but then rattled off three successive victories including a 4-0 demolition of Millwall, the team that the Baggies failed to beat on two occasions.  Since then, however, Fulham suffered a home defeat at the hands of Nottingham Forest and then exited the Carabao Cup at home to Southampton.  Last time out, they earned a draw away to fellow relegated side, Cardiff City.

That leaves them two places and two points behind Albion.  Fulham have scored the same number of goals as the Baggies, ten, with half of those coming from Mitrović.  The Serbian has scored in each of his last five games while Tom Cairney is the only player outside of their front three to have found the net so far this season.

Parker has a fully fit squad for the visit of the Baggies, but he will be without Harry Arter who was sent off in the feisty encounter with Cardiff, with his second yellow card given for simulation.  That should mean that Stefan Johansen, on loan at the Hawthorns last season, will be in the starting eleven having been left out for the first time in the league this season at Cardiff.

Bilić, on the other hand, will still be without Hegazi who is not quite ready and doubts remain over the fitness of left backs Kieran Gibbs and Conor Townsend.  The long break will hopefully have given them time to recover, and for Charlie Austin to continue to build up to full match fitness.

After a extended period of training, the Croat may look to tweak things with Rekeem Harper pushing for more game time but facing a difficult task to displace either Romaine Sawyers or Jake Livermore.  Chris Brunt opted to play in a Central League fixture against Mansfield to get some match practise having only played four minutes in the Championship this season.

Other players pushing for some action include Chris Willock, although the performance of Pereira in the number ten slot against Blackburn has probably put his potential inclusion on ice for a while, and Hal Robson-Kanu who proved his form and fitness with a hat-trick in the 4-3 Central League win over the Stags.

Bilić has plenty of options, particularly across the front line, but I'd be surprised to see too much change from the side that beat Blackburn last time out.

Like Albion, Fulham are a work in progress having signed a number of new faces in the summer, including Arter, Knockeart and Cavaleiro on loan from Bournemouth, Brighton and Wolves respectively, while the lesser-known Sessegnon had not made a league start before this season.  Harry Reed (Brighton) and Bobby Reid (Cardiff) also moved to the Cottage on loan with Josh Onomah their only permanent signing joining on a free transfer from Spurs.

It should be Albion's sternest test to date.  Parker has his team set up in a similar way to Bilić with a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 with Mitrović as the central striker, Knockaert and Cavaleiro either side and Cairney as the number ten.  Full backs Sessegnon (Ryan's twin brother, Steven) and Bryan also get forward well so it should be an attractive open game.

History
Albion haven't won at Craven Cottage for 14 years, and it is that particular fixture, which I attended, is one I would like to feature this time.

October 2005 saw Fulham and Albion paired together in the third round of the Carling Cup.  Both sides were in the Premier League at the time with Bryan Robson's Baggies having pulled off the Great Escape just five months earlier.

Junichi Inamoto had spent two seasons on loan at Fulham before moving to the Hawthorns in the summer of 2004.  He had found regular football hard to come by under Bryan Robson but was handed a rare start for the trip to the Cottage.

He repaid his manager early on with a lovely through ball for Robert Earnshaw in just the third minute.  The Welshman converted with a wonderful dink over the advancing Tony Warner in the Fulham goal to give the visitors the lead.  Albion had the better of the first half but couldn't add to their lead and, just after the hour mark, the hosts were level.  Steed Malbranque looped a ball over the high Baggies defence and Luis Boa Morte raced through and slotted past Tomasz Kuszczak.

The game looked to be winding down to a draw and extra time, when Warner mis-controlled a fairly simple back pass allowing Nwankwo Kanu to dispossess him and easily stroke the ball home for what looked like being the winning goal.  It was not to be, however, as Heidar Helguson headed home Boa Morte's free kick in stoppage time to set up the extra half hour.

The moment of the match came nine minutes into the first period of extra time. Inamoto picked the ball up on the half way line and drove into the Fulham half unchallenged.  Thirty yards from goal, he unleashed an unstoppable shot that flew into the top corner to put Albion back in front.

There was more drama to come when Andy D'Urso decided to show a red card to Paul Robinson for his reaction to being pushed into the advertising hoardings by Zat Knight, but the Baggies held on for the victory.  They were to go out in the next round, however, losing 3-1 at Manchester United.

It was also to be a season to forget for Albion as they were relegated back to the Championship with one of their lowest points being a 6-1 defeat on their return to Craven Cottage for the league fixture the following February.

Stat Attack
Current Form
Albion    D    L    W    D    D    W
Fulham    W    W    W    L    L    D

All competitions; most recent game on the right
Last matches
Last meeting

22 Feb 2014 – Premier League
West Brom 1 (Vydra)
Fulham 1 (Dejagah)
Last meeting at Fulham

14 Sep 2013 – Premier League
Fulham 1 (Sidwell)
West Brom 1 (McAuley)
Last win

23 Oct 2010 – Premier League
West Brom 2 (Mulumbu, Fortuné)
Fulham 1 (Carson (o.g.))
Last win at Fulham

25 Oct 2005 – League Cup 3rd Round
Fulham 2 (Boa Morte, Helguson)
West Brom 3 (Earnshaw, Kanu, Inamoto)

Albion's Record against Fulham
   Overall       Away
   P    W    D    L    F    A       P    W    D    L    F    A
League    72    31    17    24    107    92       36    11    9    16    29    52
FA Cup    4    3    0    1    9    3       1    1    0    0    2    1
League Cup    6    2    2    2    7    7       3    2    0    1    4    3
Total    82    36    19    27    123    102       40    14    9    17    35    56

https://brummieroadender.com/baggies-preview/baggies-face-sternest-test-so-far-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham and Charlton in transfer tussle with Premier League club to sign striker

Fulham and Charlton are battling it out with Crystal Palace to the potential signing of Thiago Pinto according to Lance.

Pinto is currently playing for Spanish side CE Manresa, and has recently returned to action from a long-term spell in the treatment room with a knee injury.

The report from Lance claims that the forward is in talks over a move to England, although his agent was remaining tight-lipped on where his next destination will be.

A move to the Premier League is likely to be tempting for the striker, who will be keen to showcase his talent at the highest level possible in the near future.

But a potential move to the Championship shouldn't be ruled out, as both Fulham and Charlton have started this year's campaign brightly.

Scott Parker's side will be hoping to making an immediate return to the top-flight this term, and currently occupy one of the play-off places in the early stages of this season.

Whilst Charlton have been the surprise package so far under the guidance of Lee Bowyer, and are sat second in the table in their first season back in the second-tier of English football.

It remains to be seen as to where Pinto will be heading to in the future, but he'll be keen to make a name for himself in English football at the earliest of opportunities.

The Verdict:

This would be a gamble, but it could pay off.

Pinto isn't proven in English football, which always makes a transfer like this a risk for any potential suitors like Fulham and Charlton Athletic.

Fulham could be the more tempting proposition out of the two Championship clubs as they have a better chance at gaining promotion to the Premier League in my opinion.

But Crystal Palace surely have to be favourites to land his signature as they can guarantee Premier League football this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-and-charlton-in-transfer-tussle-with-premier-league-club-to-sign-striker/

WhiteJC

'Quality' - Fulham head coach Scott Parker gives his take on West Brom under Slaven Bilic

West Brom latest | Scott Paker's side take on the Baggies at Craven Cottage on Saturday

Fulham head coach Scott Parker believes West Bromwich Albion will be one of his side's closest challengers for promotion to the Premier League this season.

Slaven Bilic's side are currently fourth in the Championship, just two points ahead of the Cottagers who were in August the bookies favourite to make an instant return to the top flight.

And the two side will meet tomorrow at Craven Cottage in the division's early kick-off with Parker well aware of the threats that his "expereinced" opponents will pose.

"I'm fully aware of West Brom's quality, they're a very good side who will certainly be up there," Parker told Fulham's website.

"We've prepared like we do for every game, as we realise the challenge ahead.

"They've been in this division for two years now, so have got to grips with it.

He added: "They've got a manager in Bilic who understands it and knows what it's about.

"They have some very good players, experienced players, so we're looking forward to it. I expect it's going to be a very good game."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/quality-fulham-head-coach-scott-16914352

WhiteJC

Slaven Bilic gives West Brom injury update ahead of Fulham

Slaven Bilic will continue to assess his options at left-back with Kieran Gibbs and Conor Townsend unlikely to feature against Fulham tomorrow.

Gibbs, who has an ankle problem, has an outside chance of still being involved at Craven Cottage with Bilic set to run the rule over the 29-year-old in training today.

But Townsend will definitely not be available – with the former Scunthorpe man set to return to training next week.

It means Nathan Ferguson, who started at left-back against Blackburn, could continue to the role. The 18-year-old impressed playing at centre-back for England under-20s on Monday.

But Darnell Furlong and Chris Brunt could also be under consideration for the left-back role.

"Conor is not available," Bilic confirmed.

"It's one of them, I said before Blackburn if the game was a couple of days later he would be involved.

"It looked like that but it's not, it's nothing major and he had a scan which as come back all clear. He should be in training next week.

"Kieran is training with us today but we'll see. It might be too early, he will train today and then I will decide."

Albion had a host of players in action over the international break but Bilic confirmed none of them have reported back with an injury.

The head coach revealed Grady Diangana didn't feature for England under-21s in their matches against Turkey and Kosovo due to having a sore throat.

And he boss confirmed Ahmed Hegazi is closing in on a first-team return, with Bilic believing it is just match sharpness keeping him out his squad.

"He (Hegazi) is very close and, of course, we are delighted by that," said Bilic who celebrated his 51st birthday today.

"He's a major player for us, last year he was voted into the team of the season.

"He's very close to being back. He had a long break, so he needs a couple of games.

"I expect him to be back before the next international break, but it all depends.

"He's on 95 per cent he can't be any better, but that five per cent match fitness is the key at the end of the day and it makes the player ready after a long-ish absence. So far he's doing amazingly."

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/09/13/slaven-bilic-gives-west-brom-injury-update-ahead-of-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham v West Bromwich Albion
SAT 14 Sept 2019   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored eight goals in eight appearances for Fulham and Serbia this season

Fulham will be without midfielder Harry Arter after he was sent off in the draw at Cardiff, so Stefan Johansen could come into the starting XI.

Striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is looking to score for the eighth successive game for club and country.

Unbeaten West Bromwich Albion will make a decision on Kieran Gibbs (groin) following his return to training.

Boss Slaven Bilic may bring in Kenneth Zohore up front for Charlie Austin, who is yet to score in the league.

But Bilic says it is still too early for Egypt defender Ahmed Hegazi, who has not played since his ankle operation after the African Cup of Nations.

Match facts

Fulham are unbeaten in their last seven league games against West Bromwich Albiob, although this is their first Premier League meeting since February 2014.
    Albion are winless in each of their last 15 league trips to Fulham since a 2-1 victory in October 1967, when Jeff Astle and Tony 'Bomber' Brown scored the goals.
    Fulham have put together 126 sequences of 10 or more passes in open play this season - 47 more than any other Championship team.
    The Baggies have won the most points from losing positions in the Championship this season (11). The Baggies have gone behind in five of their six games and lost none.
    The two teams to complete the most successful passes in the opposition half this season are Fulham (1,347) and West Brom (1,308).
    Grady Diangana's three Championship goals this season for Albion have been worth five points. No Championship player has won more points for their team this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49617720

WhiteJC

'It's a lovely selection dilemma headache to have' – Parker has key Fulham call to make pre-WBA: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Fulham manager Scott Parker pitches his side against West Brom this weekend in a clash that sees fourth play sixth in the Championship, with both sides looking to close the gap on early season league leaders Swansea City.

Ahead of the match, one option that Parker could consider bringing in is goalkeeper Marek Rodák, after an impressive performance in the Carabao Cup against Southampton, in place of current first-choice keeper Marcus Bettinelli, who has started in all six league fixtures this season.

So should Parker look to start Rodak over Bettinelli against West Brom?

We discuss........

Alfie Burns

"Honestly, I can't see Parker doing anything too rash at this stage of the season.

"As a player, he was always very composed, and I feel he will carry that into management.

"Yes, Fulham's start could've been stronger, but Parker will maintain faith with a lot of his players, Bettinelli included.

"Rodak is a good player to have waiting in the wings, but his chance in the Championship shouldn't be coming just yet."

Dean Cooke

"He was excellent in Fulham's cup display but I really doubt that Parker will make a change between the sticks.

"Parker has trusted Bettinelli, and despite the different saves that the keepers make, there is more to it than that.

"Bettinelli is able to play from the back and that really helps Fulham build possession, especially at home. It'll be interesting to see if Rodak would be able to do that, but if he can then there is no reason why he doesn't deserve a league start at some point."

Ned Holmes

"No, I think the Fulham boss should stick with Bettinelli for this one.

"The Englishman has started the season well and only conceded two goals at Craven Cottage this season.

"This one looks as though it could be a tight game and the Baggies carry a fair bit of attacking threat, so I'm not sure this is the ideal time to give Rodak his first taste of Championship football as a Fulham player.

"It's a lovely selection dilemma headache to have for Parker, with two talented shot-stoppers in his squad, and I'm sure there are a fair few managers in the division who would just at the chance to use either."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/its-a-lovely-selection-dilemma-headache-to-have-parker-has-key-fulham-call-to-make-pre-wba-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

'We'll repeat this' Slaven Bilic has delivered this Fulham warning to West Brom

The Cottagers were beaten by Southampton in the Carabao Cup in front of their own fans, and were also turned over by Nottingham Forest in their last league fixture on home soil

Slaven Bilic has urged caution as West Brom head to Craven Cottage this weekend, a venue where hosts Fulham have been lacking home comforts just recently.

The Cottagers were beaten by Southampton in the Carabao Cup in front of their own fans, and were also turned over by Nottingham Forest in their last league fixture on home soil.

In comparison, the Baggies have won two of their first three away matches of the campaign and head to west London in a good mood after an unbeaten start to the league calendar.

Bilic wants his side to hit the ground running after the international break as they come against one of the most fancied teams in the whole division - but the Croat also plans to warn his players that their hosts for the day will make clear their intentions from the off.

"For us, and we'll repeat this to the players, they are going to be on fire because they didn't win the last couple of games, but it's also a big opportunity for us because some other teams have done it on their home soil," he said.

"They are a good team definitely, they were a bit unlucky in a couple of those games but Forest played well against them.

"It's a great opportunity for us but we know, like all the games, we are going to have to be on top of our game to get in a position where we can take anything from the game."

Fulham are in a similar boat to where the Baggies themselves were 12 months ago.

Following on from relegation from the top flight, with a novice boss taking responsibility of a highly talented group of players, comparisons can certainly be drawn with Darren Moore's free-scoring side.

It's not a given, of course, that you'll be at the top of the tree following the drop into a lesser league - as Bilic points out, Huddersfield and Cardiff are hardly making waves.

"On the one hand, what makes the Championship a big league is that every game is a big test," Bilic reasoned. "But on the other hand, yes. Fulham is a big team. They got relegated from the Premier League last year and they kept the players they wanted to keep.

"On paper, they are one of the favourites to go up so it's a big test for us, but it is also a big test for them.

"Nobody is cruising. If you look at the three teams who came down from the Premier League last season, they are doing everything but cruising.

"Fulham is doing well, but Huddersfield, Cardiff - that shows how competitive this league is.

"On paper, they are the best team we have faced so far, but first of all it's not easy for them in the Championship and we have already pleased against big teams like Derby, like Forest. It's a very big game for both of us."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/well-repeat-this-slaven-bilic-16916064

WhiteJC

Fulham vs West Brom preview: Championship clash live on Sky Sports Football
Watch live on Sky Sports Football on Saturday; Kick-off 12.30pm

Fulham face West Brom in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday. Coverage gets underway live on Sky Sports Football from midday, while kick-off is at 12.30pm.

Team news[/b]

Fulham will be without midfielder Harry Arter after he was sent off in the draw at Cardiff, so Stefan Johansen could come into the starting XI. Striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is looking to score for the eighth successive game for club and country.

Unbeaten West Bromwich Albion will make a decision on Kieran Gibbs (groin) following his return to training. Boss Slaven Bilic may bring in Kenneth Zohore up front for Charlie Austin, who is yet to score in the league. But Bilic says it is still too early for Egypt defender Ahmed Hegazi, who has not played since his ankle operation after the African Cup of Nations.

Recent form

Fulham's winning start to life back in the second tier has come to an end in recent weeks, with the Whites last tasting victory on 21 August, when they beat Millwall at Craven Cottage. Scott Parker's side lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest three days later, before crashing out of the Carabao Cup against Southampton. Prior to the first international break, they drew 1-1 with Cardiff.

Though they've won three and drawn three, the Baggies' unbeaten start has them sitting fourth in the Championship ahead of kick-off. Last time out, they beat Blackburn 3-2 at The Hawthorns, after successive 1-1 draws with Derby and Reading.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is looking to score in eighth successive game for club and country

The managers

Fulham boss Scott Parker:
"Overall, after six games, we're pleased with the way it's gone. Last year, we were used to losing games and it became a bit of a habit, but now we're in a league where we're expected to do something. I'm happy with the way we've started.

"I'm fully aware of West Brom's quality, they're a very good side who will certainly be up there. We've prepared like we do for every game, as we realise the challenge ahead. They've been in this division for two years now, so have come to grips with it. They have some very good players, experience players, so we're looking forward to it. I expect it's going to be a very good game."

West Brom boss Slaven Bilic: "It is the most difficult game but it is not like so far we have not played good teams yet. We have played against some top teams like Derby away and Forest away. What makes the Championship a big and interesting league is it is pretty much even and every game is a massive test for you, so I don't see it any different.

"We can talk about Fulham, that last year they were in the Premier League, but they are not cruising. For them it is also a big test for the players. On paper they are definitely one of the favourites to go up. Big club. We are playing on their ground and it is going to be a massive test for us."

Talking point - Should Parker be getting more out of Fulham?

On paper, Fulham have one of the best attacks ever seen in the Championship. Mitrovic would still walk into a No 9 role at a fair few Premier League clubs, Anthony Knockaert and Tom Cairney were the best players in the league last time they featured in a full campaign at this level and Ivan Cavaleiro was also a star performer for Wolves who more than held his own when called upon in the Premier League.

Having blown Millwall away a few weeks ago, it looked as though they had the capacity to romp this league, but have since stumbled to a 2-1 home defeat against Nottingham Forest and a 1-1 draw at an under-performing Cardiff. They have the capability to put a few goals past any side but there has been some suggestion that under Scott Parker they can be too predictable.

Opta stats

Fulham are unbeaten in their last seven league games against West Brom (W3 D4 L0), although this is their first meeting since February 2014 in the Premier League.

West Brom are winless in each of their last 15 league trips to Fulham (W0 D6 L9) since winning 2-1 in October 1967.

Fulham have put together 126 sequences of 10 or more passes in open play this season - 47 more than any other Championship team.

West Bromwich Albion have won the most points from losing positions in the Championship this season (11). The Baggies have gone behind in five of their six games and lost none (W3 D2 L0).

The two teams to complete the most successful passes in the opposition half this season are Fulham (1,347) and West Brom (1,308).

Grady Diangana's three Championship goals this season have been worth five points for West Brom - no player has won more points for their team in the division this season.

Prutton's prediction

Two of the best attacking units in the division meet at Craven Cottage! Both sides will have their sights set on automatic promotion and will approach every game this season with the intention to win.

Neither has had the most consistent start, which is to be expected after a relegation for one and a change of manager for the other. I fancy goals, but I can't split the pair.

David Prutton predicts: 2-2 (11/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-w-brom/preview/409424

WhiteJC

Jobi McAnuff points out what Fulham must improve

Jobi McAnuff has stated that Fulham must ensure they have a 'cutting edge' to their play as they look to return to winning ways against West Brom this Saturday.

Scott Parker's side has had a solid start to the season that sees them sit in sixth place in the division, although the Cottagers have failed to win in their last two Championship fixtures against Nottingham Forest and Cardiff.

On Saturday, they take on Slaven Bilic's unbeaten West Brom side at Craven Cottage, in what is sure to be an entertaining game.

McAnuff has spoken about a start to the season that Fulham will be happy with, but has run the rule over what Parker's side must improve.

Speaking to the EFL podcast, McAnuff said: "When you consider it's Scott Parker's first full season in charge, I think they would have taken where they are at the moment. The concern will be those last few games, teams have had a look at those first three or four games and have worked out how to stop them.

"I really enjoy the way they play and believe that over the season it will serve them well and pay dividends. They need to make sure they have that cutting edge when teams keep it tight and make it difficult for them."

The Verdict

I completely see what McAnuff is saying here, for the strikers/forwards that they have at their disposal, they must be more potent in the big games that they play in the season.

They have to ensure that their cutting edge and clinical nature improves otherwise they will find themselves frustrated against a number of sides who will decide to sit back against the Whites.

It's quite a big fixture early on for both teams as a win could get either side right up there, near the automatic places.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jobi-mcanuff-points-out-what-fulham-must-improve/

WhiteJC

'I have my doubts' – Fulham in transfer tussle with Premier League side for striker: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Fulham are rivalling Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic to the potential signing of Thiago Pinto, according to Lance.

The report claims that the striker is set for a move to England, although his agent is remaining tight-lipped on which club he will be signing for.

Pinto is currently playing for Spanish side CE Manresa, and has caught the eye with a number of impressive performances in recent weeks.

Fulham will be hoping that they can land his signature, as they look to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking this season.

Scott Parker's side have started this year's campaign brightly, and currently occupy one of the play-off places after six league games.

But would Pinto be a good signing for Fulham?

We discuss....

Chris Gallagher

"This would be a very interesting signing for Fulham.

"Whilst Pinto is unproven at a high level, he clearly has a lot of potential and the fact he is linked with a host of clubs in England shows that he is someone that many clubs see as a talent.

"Therefore, it would be a smart bit of business from the Cottagers, particularly as you can't imagine he will command a big fee from his current Spanish side.

"So, it's a move that is low-risk and could have big rewards if Pinto goes on to become the player that many feel he can be."

Toby Wilding

"I'm not altogether sure they need him at the minute to be honest.

"With Aleksandar Mitrovic leading the line impressively again this season, while being ably supported by the likes of Anthony Knockaert, Ivan Cavaleiro and Bobby Reid, it does seem as though the Cottagers have got plenty of options as it is up front right now.

"Add to that the fact that Pinto has had very little experience of high-level football, and I do wonder whether he would be capable of stepping up to a battle for promotion to the Premier League this season.

"That being said, with Premier League Crystal Palace also interested, there may be a case to be made for that argument that Pinto does have the potential to make an impact somewhere like Craven Cottage."

Jacob Potter

"I have my doubts with this one.

"Fulham already have a number of strong options in attacking positions, and I can't see Scott Parker being willing to take one of them out of the side for a forward that isn't proven in English football.

"Pinto could be a good signing for the future, but I still can't see him being good enough to force his way into Fulham's first-team anytime soon.

"Aleksandar Mitrovic is a much better option to have at this moment in time, and it would be a poor move for both parties involved if he moved to Craven Cottage."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-have-my-doubts-fulham-in-transfer-tussle-with-premier-league-side-for-striker-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

Slaven Bilic claims Fulham will be West Bromwich Albion's toughest opponents yet

Fulham host West Bromwich Albion this weekend.

West Bromwich Albion boss Slaven Bilic believes Fulham away is his side's most difficult game yet having already travelled to Nottingham Forest and Derby County, wba.co.uk report.

"It is the most difficult game but it is not like so far we have not played good teams yet. We have played against some top teams like Derby away and Forest away. On paper they are definitely one of the favourites to go up. It is a big test for us," Bilic explained.

West Brom travel to Fulham looking to protect their unbeaten Championship record. The Baggies have won three and drawn three of their six games so far, picking up 12 points.

Bilic's side have reason to be confident. They won at Nottingham Forest on the opening day, before drawing against last season's playoff finalists Derby County at Pride Park. They also beat Luton Town away.

But Fulham at Craven Cottage is arguably among the toughest games in the Championship. The Whites demonstrated their ability in the 4-0 thrashing of Millwall when they racked up over 75% possession.

In Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ivan Cavaleiro, Anthony Knockaert and Bobby Reid, they have an abundance of attacking riches at their disposal and manager Scott Parker couldn't have wished for more at Championship level.

Fulham, however, have shown some vulnerability this season. They lost to Nottingham Forest in their last home encounter, while they suffered a defeat at Barnsley on the opening day.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/13/slaven-bilic-claims-fulham-will-be-west-bromwich-albions-toughes/

WhiteJC

The key dilemma facing Bilic at West Brom ahead of Fulham clash: The verdict

West Brom get back to Championship action following the international break when Slaven Bilic's side travel to Fulham in the Saturday lunchtime kick-off, looking to close the gap on leaders Swansea City who they currently trail by four points.

One of the selection decisions facing Bilic ahead of this match, is whether to continue with striker Charlie Austin up front as he did last time out against Blackburn, or bring back in Kenneth Zohore who has been first choice over the opening matches of the season.

Should Bilic keep Austin in over Zohore for the Fulham clash?

We discuss........

Alfie Burns

"I think Bilic's long-term aim is going to be getting Austin amongst the goals and starting regularly.

"That might take time, but if you asked most Championship supporters, they'd see Austin as a bigger goal threat even after his run of injuries.

"Zohore offers something a little bit different and probably links play better at the top of Bilic's 4-2-3-1, but goals are what win you games.

"Getting Austin in the groove will help Albion maintain their place in the promotion race."

Dean Cooke

"No, Zohore has proved he can score, albeit from the spot, but he should be rewarded for getting the goals that West Brom need.

"We all know the goals will come for Austin, but when someone deserves a chance in the team, you have to give it to them. Football is a form and confidence game.

"Austin has looked lacklustre, and Bilic must find a way of getting the best out of him, but at Fulham, Zohore should start."

Ned Holmes

"Neither have found particularly good goal-scoring form yet for the Baggies but, for me, Austin is the more dangerous striker.

"Fulham have only conceded twice at Craven Cottage, so you feel Bilic's side will need all the attacking threat they can muster if they're to come away with a result.

"The Englishman has got a good record in the Championship, with 66 goals in 132 appearances, and if he can return to that sort of form he could be a real asset for West Brom season.

"The best way to help him to do that will be time in the team, so I could keeping him in the team could be good news both short- and long-term."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-key-dilemma-facing-bilic-at-west-brom-ahead-of-fulham-clash-the-verdict/