watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Yet Another 2 Points Left on the Table. Leaky Leaky, and No Offensive Punch

Started by WindyCity, September 14, 2019, 03:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCity

Terribly disappointing draw today.  Any FFC fan that looks for promotion this year has to be disheartened by this result.  Poor goalkeeping.  Poor defense at the finish, actually West Brom had chances to leave with all 3 points.  And where is this offense?  Save one game, I'm still searching.  If Parker wants to win the "possession game", he's doing a fine job.  He needs to be reminded that goals win games.  I don't think this is the type of club that can sit back on a one goal advantage, especially having dominated so thoroughly the first half. 

Very frustrating, very disappointing result.

knightwest

Yes very frustrating.
Their keeper pulled off a few worldies. Barring that we would have been cruising. Same against forest I vaguely remember.
Not quite sharing the pessimism yet.

Buffalo76

Looks like we're gonna have 2 rely on our strikers yet again as our defensive capabilities can't b relied on.
That's it and that's all.

Jims Dentist

IMHO, again the offensive weak link was Cavalero.
He is lost out on the left as he does not seem confident crossing with his left foot.
We had heard that he was fast, but I have to say I have yet to see this.
Am I mistaken or is he carrying a bit too much timber?

Count Flapula

Slightly missing the point to say we're missing offensive punch when our front 3 have scored 10 in 7.

The problem is we leak far too many simple goals at the back - far too many.

Our squad is excellent for this division - not just first 11 - but we played in a naive way after going a goal up. I'm not one for digging out our own players but sadly Betts has cost us 4 points in 2 games now. He is an excellent 1-on-1 and reflex stopper, his kicking is decent overall but his angles / positioning on set pieces and crosses generally are not good enough for this level.

We have an amazing squad for this level but it's inescapable GK is out Achilles heel atm. From what I've seen for us and Rotherham, Rodak deserves a run as looks a lot more solid in terms of commanding his area - he at least deserves a run to see if he suits our play out from the back style of play and brings more stability because if he does, that will permeate to his defence and take the pressure off.

Time to try something different for the sake of the teams progress.

WindyCity

Quote from: Count Flapula on September 14, 2019, 04:47:08 PM
Slightly missing the point to say we're missing offensive punch when our front 3 have scored 10 in 7.

The problem is we leak far too many simple goals at the back - far too many.

As I noted in original post, save one game (4 goals scored), this offense has been very ordinary if not invisible.

True, defense is way too leaky, but we knew this at the start of the season.  We may get some help in January?  That new acquisition coming our way?

filham

Agree with WindyCity's opener, good reasoning.
We keep blaming our defence but goals are not being scored as they should be.

Just forget that magnificent Millwall result and this season we have scored seven goals and conceded six in six games. Today we again scored but a single goal. This is much to low a scoring rate for a promotion team, especial one that always seems to have match stats strongly in their favour.

Something is wrong, perhaps a change of tactics is needed so that our attacks are more direct and quicker so that better scoring chances are created.

Woolly Mammoth

If the forwards miss chances to score, it puts the defence under pressure not to concede.
If the defence is leaking goals, it's puts pressure on the forwards to score more.
It's a double edged sword.
That's why goals change games and stats mean diddly squat.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

clarkey

You are right about Betts. He never actually commands the area.
His geenral body language is poor, he is very slow on distribution, never shows urgency, is indecisive and of course often cocks up clearances completely.

But when it comes to crosses ,well dear oh dear.For a big man he is useless. Great shot stopper but so poor at being a big positive presence in the team.

Meanwhile we had a ten minute period after the 70th minute when we just faded, looked tired, kept having injuries, failed to boss it properly and looked very flat. We could have conceded another easily, thank good ness for Ream as usual.

Meanwhile up front apart we just did not take the chances, shame.First half we played some lovely stuff. Still only one win off second.

Whitestone

Until we can manage consistent clean sheets we are always gonna need to score more than we currently are.
Personally thought we could've/should've been 2 up by half time. We were superb up until the break but for some magnificent saves by Sam Johnstone, particularly the header from Bobby Reid. Cairney probably should have scored when one on one with Johnstone.
The double sub that West Brom made on 59 minutes made a difference. They bossed the last half hour. We didn't react to their changes in my view. Thought we needed a bit more in midfield. Johansen for B Reid would have been my choice.

WindyCity

Quote from: Whitestone on September 14, 2019, 05:42:26 PM
Until we can manage consistent clean sheets we are always gonna need to score more than we currently are.

True that.  And, clean sheets will be hard to come by with this group, and we knew such before season started.  Very disappointing start to the season so far.  This is a side that actually could/should be top 2 right now, had points dropped in games so far been secured.  Maybe FFC isn't a top 2 team, as pre-season scribes attributed?  Parker needs to exact more offensive chances coupled with the excess possession he has been getting.  And for goodness sake, this team cannot "sit" on a one goal advantage ever!

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WindyCity on September 14, 2019, 03:10:49 PM
Terribly disappointing draw today.  Any FFC fan that looks for promotion this year has to be disheartened by this result.  Poor goalkeeping.  Poor defense at the finish, actually West Brom had chances to leave with all 3 points.  And where is this offense?  Save one game, I'm still searching.  If Parker wants to win the "possession game", he's doing a fine job.  He needs to be reminded that goals win games.  I don't think this is the type of club that can sit back on a one goal advantage, especially having dominated so thoroughly the first half. 

If only you coached the team... there would never be any disappointments. Fulham should just do away with the coaching staff, and have the fans tell the team how to win every game.

Seriously, we are only 5 points from the top. West Brom is one of the better teams and we mostly controlled them. We have a good team. Results will come.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WindyCity on September 15, 2019, 04:02:11 PM

True that.  And, clean sheets will be hard to come by with this group, and we knew such before season started.  Very disappointing start to the season so far.  This is a side that actually could/should be top 2 right now, had points dropped in games so far been secured.  Maybe FFC isn't a top 2 team, as pre-season scribes attributed?  Parker needs to exact more offensive chances coupled with the excess possession he has been getting.  And for goodness sake, this team cannot "sit" on a one goal advantage ever!

Parker doesn't control the players by remote control. He can tell them everything you are saying and the players will still do something different. Fulham is having a better start than two years ago. Let's have some perspective.

WindyCity

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 15, 2019, 04:17:01 PM

If only you coached the team... there would never be any disappointments. Fulham should just do away with the coaching staff, and have the fans tell the team how to win every game.

Seriously, we are only 5 points from the top. West Brom is one of the better teams and we mostly controlled them. We have a good team. Results will come.

Well my friend, I'm not a coach, I'm just a fan.  For 'mostly controlling' a team, a home draw is not a good result. 

WindyCity

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 15, 2019, 04:18:42 PM

Parker doesn't control the players by remote control. He can tell them everything you are saying and the players will still do something different. Fulham is having a better start then two years ago. Let's have some perspective.

A coach does and can control some things.  Like bringing in players/subs at the right time, the right players.  And for that matter, starting the right players.  West Brom made some key substitutions late in the game (maybe around 60min?) that most definitely impacted how this game played out.  And WB had chances late to even walk out of Craven Cottage with 3 points.

FFC might be having a better start than 2 years ago, but that season they established a club record unbeaten streak.  Hard to repeat or bank on that.  Before season started, I actually feared a second drop, due mostly in part to a still very leaky defense that was not improved/upgraded.  So, at that time, I guess a mid table finish this year would be a reasonably satisfying result.  But, Mitro and Cairney stayed and we upgraded the offense (still waiting to see results of that) and betting lines had FFC top 2.  So, expectations were raised.  Don't you think that FFC could be top 2 right now had they secured points in games so far this season which they totally dominated and let slip away?  I do.  And that's what leads to my frustrations over this side.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WindyCity on September 15, 2019, 04:43:22 PM

Well my friend, I'm not a coach, I'm just a fan.  For 'mostly controlling' a team, a home draw is not a good result.

That's right, you're fan complaining that your team didn't win... like a win was just supposed to happen with some muttered words by the coaching staff. I'm disappointed we didn't win after bossing them for most of the game. We looked the better team. These things happen. Manchester City lost to a free flowing Norwich City yesterday.  Let's give this team time to get going. It's boring to read peoples' small-minded crying about a draw to West Brom in September.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: WindyCity on September 15, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 15, 2019, 04:18:42 PM

Parker doesn't control the players by remote control. He can tell them everything you are saying and the players will still do something different. Fulham is having a better start then two years ago. Let's have some perspective.

A coach does and can control some things.  Like bringing in players/subs at the right time, the right players.  And for that matter, starting the right players.  West Brom made some key substitutions late in the game (maybe around 60min?) that most definitely impacted how this game played out.  And WB had chances late to even walk out of Craven Cottage with 3 points.

FFC might be having a better start than 2 years ago, but that season they established a club record unbeaten streak.  Hard to repeat or bank on that.  Before season started, I actually feared a second drop, due mostly in part to a still very leaky defense that was not improved/upgraded.  So, at that time, I guess a mid table finish this year would be a reasonably satisfying result.  But, Mitro and Cairney stayed and we upgraded the offense (still waiting to see results of that) and betting lines had FFC top 2.  So, expectations were raised.  Don't you think that FFC could be top 2 right now had they secured points in games so far this season which they totally dominated and let slip away?  I do.  And that's what leads to my frustrations over this side.

FC Barcelona should be top two in La Liga right now, but they're not. What matters is where they are come May... not September. Get some perspective!!!

WindyCity

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on September 15, 2019, 05:28:01 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on September 15, 2019, 04:43:22 PM

That's right, you're fan complaining that your team didn't win... like a win was just supposed to happen with some muttered words by the coaching staff. I'm disappointed we didn't win after bossing them for most of the game. We looked the better team. These things happen. Manchester City lost to a free flowing Norwich City yesterday.  Let's give this team time to get going. It's boring to read peoples' small-minded crying about a draw to West Brom in September.

Fans are allowed.  That's what fans do.  If it's so boring to you, then avoid. 

Yeah, agree with you, all that matters is what happens by end of season and where you stand.  It would be a shame if FFC falls short of promotion based on a handful of points dropped early in the season.  All the games count.