watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scotty P

Started by JEEVES, September 14, 2019, 09:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEEVES

Right. Please don't crucify the new guy (be gentle).

I'm sure there's been similar or even identical threads but I'm interested in your opinions on Scotty P as a manager so far.

To be fair it is too early to judge but my personal feeling is that the majority of us on here would find it pretty easy to pick our best team. The players kind of pick themselves imo. With the exception of introducing Stevie Sess he's not exactly had to make many master strokes so far regarding our starting line up.. and even then we were all calling out for a right back so Stevie probably didn't find it massively difficult to out perform an ageing Odoi and a kinda rubbish Christie in preseason/ training.

So for me I'm judging Scotty on his substitutions and tactics which personally I have not been to happy with.

But that's my opinion, what do you lot think?

Also watching the Man city Norwich game earlier (how wicked was that by the way?) I heard the commentator say something along the lines of norwich being 19th in October or maybe even december? Not guna lie I've forgotten but they went on to win the league which is mental, so I'm far from losing hope of automatic promotion at this point.

Good night and much love my fulham family x

The Rational Fan

England has 000s of football managers, Parker has been give the 22nd expensive squad in the country after the england manager and the 20 premier league positions. Surely, the person given the top job can be criticised as much as Mourino, Houghton, Sarri or Pep, if anyone things they deserve it.

For me, personally, I did not agree with Parker's appointment as he was too inexperienced but his performance so far has been better than i expected and his case "to stay" is probably marginally stronger than when he started. i think we should be thinking about other ideas to improve like maybe support staff.

toshes mate

Quote from: JEEVES on September 14, 2019, 09:55:00 PM
So for me I'm judging Scotty on his substitutions and tactics which personally I have not been to happy with.
I would agree about the substitution of Odoi for S Sessegnon at the death yesterday because the former hasn't played before this season, and the team were under self-inflicted pressure due to the usual suspects giving possession away cheaply.  I think our use of set pieces is very underwhelming.  I think some decision making is catching us out in the possession stakes, when, instead of recycling the ball we are trying to force the issue in the opponent's half.   SJ taught FFC the art of recycling the ball anywhere on the pitch; SP is only half way there and he needs to go that extra mile.  This team has some greedier players (they know who they are) than we have had in the recent past and I hope that doesn't get in the way of tactical nous.

Early days for SP but he is on the right track, IMHO.   

FFC1987

Personally, I love the way he wants us to play football and how he talks in his pressers and conducts himself on the sideline BUT and it's a big BUT, the results are what's important and we're throwing away points left right and centre and we're now 10th, 5 points from first, 3 points from second and 1-2 points from playoffs with about 9 teams battling for those 4 spots. We've had a below par start, thrown away games cheaply and just aren't clicking enough over 90 minutes to beat teams especially at home so I'm concerned to be honest. This squad should be nailed on top 2 and from our opening fixtures, should be much better off than we are so, as much as I love Scott, he has serious question marks on his head. A win next week, albeit unlikely, would go a long way to rectifying our poorish start.

Peabody

I have said this on another website, I think it is time that some off you put in your CV's for the job, you obviously know more about the job than the professionals doing it.

Our football is crying out for young English managers to gain experience and succeed ,  in the process of learning, they will make mistakes and it is inevitable that those mistakes will upset fans but it is essential that we stick with and allow these 'apprentices' to gain the necessary experience. Anyone remember Bobby Robson?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Peabody on September 15, 2019, 02:11:56 PM
I have said this on another website, I think it is time that some off you put in your CV's for the job, you obviously know more about the job than the professionals doing it.

Our football is crying out for young English managers to gain experience and succeed ,  in the process of learning, they will make mistakes and it is inevitable that those mistakes will upset fans but it is essential that we stick with and allow these 'apprentices' to gain the necessary experience. Anyone remember Bobby Robson?

Absolutely agree with this. Similar thing as to the lack of English/British players. We cry out for youth to be played so we should cry out for youth management.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Nick Bateman

Parker is a good manager for Fulham - one reserves one's opinion if he were to manage another club. He knows this Fulham squad and our style from Jokanovic, having played for us and served under 2 managers.  He identified with the damage the "French foreign legion" did and instantly removed almost all of them. Even the one remaining, Le Marchand, he subbed in the first half after the Frenchman was booked and playing recklessly against a hostile crowd and ref.

Yesterday he spotted Sessengnon struggling and he was also on a yellow and correctly brought Odoi back into the fold.  One would like Odoi to start next time.  Other than that one has faith in Scott Parker as the 'right man' for Fulham and if we can get a better tempo across the whole team we should start seeing the dividends.

Agreed we should be encouraging English managers, for once Peabody makes sense.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Peabody

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 15, 2019, 03:09:38 PM
Parker is a good manager for Fulham - one reserves one's opinion if he were to manage another club. He knows this Fulham squad and our style from Jokanovic, having played for us and served under 2 managers.  He identified with the damage the "French foreign legion" did and instantly removed almost all of them. Even the one remaining, Le Marchand, he subbed in the first half after the Frenchman was booked and playing recklessly against a hostile crowd and ref.

Yesterday he spotted Sessengnon struggling and he was also on a yellow and correctly brought Odoi back into the fold.  One would like Odoi to start next time.  Other than that one has faith in Scott Parker as the 'right man' for Fulham and if we can get a better tempo across the whole team we should start seeing the dividends.

Agreed we should be encouraging English managers, for once Peabody makes sense.

Pot and kettle come to mind Nick

filham

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on September 15, 2019, 08:24:31 AM
Please dont called him scotty p. Makes him sound like something from a reality TV show. He's better than that.
Please dont called him scotty p. Makes him sound like something from a reality TV show. He's better than that.
Or from Star Treck, I imagine Scott is acceptable though.
In my book Scott Parker is the best of managers for us, just wish he would start picking up three points at the Cottage on a regular basis and at the same time drawing or winning away.

We are now edging towards mid table, that is not good enough.

Matt10

He's been brilliant. Lets the boys play how they want in the offensive third, and instructs them clearly in the defensive transition. We saw how big of a difference our attack was when facing a zonal marking vs a man marking that Cardiff had previously showed. We dominated possession again, more shots overall, but the one area that keeps affecting things is our shots on target. Granted, there were two really good saves from the keeper, but overall we need to get the ball on frame much, much, more.

I think the more that happens, the less threads questioning Parker will appear.

Classic94

It's been a decent start. Nothing more, nothing less. We've shown glimpses of class but are yet to string a strong 90 minutes together bar the Millwall game. I like that we're trying to play possession football, however, the issue is tempo. Our ball retention is currently too slow and too predictable; lacking any real penetration. Of course, we're only 7 games in to a long season but we undoubtedly have the strongest squad in this division. Make no mistake, if we were to lose touch with the play-off places then SP will come under fire, and rightly so.

Finnans Right Peg

I like the job Scott has done do far when you consider he is trying to bed in the new front three and new players in midfield it takes time .
The one negative I have is that he takes too long to make subs there are plenty of games where we looked leggy but never made the sub or only made it when we conceded.

Matt10

I'd say he subs just as normally as most managers. The West Brom match was a lot later, but before that we've had subs at various stages of the match. Most of the time, we have been in a position to sub in order for a formation change. We usually start with a 4-3-3, sub to a 4-2-3-1, and if we're winning we'll go to a 5-3-2 in the later stages.

My only concern with the West Brom match is that I don't believe we ever switched out of the 4-3-3, which tells me Parker was content with letting it play out and settle safely for a point, but not so much we were going to bunker down against momentum. 

I think the West Brom match is too fresh for some, and the lack of subs in that one match is creating an overall mindset.

Here are the times of subs during the season:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/170/Fixtures/England-Fulham

v Barnsley
33rd - Christie > LeMarchand (injured)
65th - Knockaert > Johansen
74th - Ayite > Cava

v Blackburn
62th - Johansen > Reid
79th - Cava > Reed
84th - Knockaert > LeMarchand

v Hudds
76th - Reid > Johansen
84th - Reed > Cava
91st - LeMarchand > Knockaert

v Millwall
69th - Cairney > Reid
75th - Arter > McDonald
79th - Cava > Kamara

v Forest
46th - Johansen > Reid
74th - SSess > Kamara
87th - Christie > Mawson

v Cardiff
71st - Johansen > Knockaert
81st - Kamara > Cava
89th - LeMarchand > Cairney

v West Brom
85th - Onomah > Reid
90th - Odoi > SSess

simplyfulham

His post match conferences feel refreshingly honest. He did explain how he saw the game on Saturday and the decisions he makes to not change it too much do make sense after you'd heard how he viewed the game.

He also seemed visibly furious with the result and his assessment of the season so far seemed pretty sane.

Woolly Mammoth

Let's let Scott Parker do his job as he has the right philosophy and his interviews are refreshing and transparent, no cliches. The best is yet to come, but we must be more patient. He cannot be right every time, nobody can be.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 18, 2019, 01:18:00 AM
Let's let Scott Parker do his job as he has the right philosophy and his interviews are refreshing and transparent, no cliches. The best is yet to come, but we must be more patient. He cannot be right every time, nobody can be.

Scott Parker seems to work well better with Toby Khan than other Managers, which is important. It is rumoured Parker finds out the players that TK likes and tries to promote the better selections.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 18, 2019, 05:11:16 AM

Scott Parker seems to work well better with Toby Khan than other Managers, which is important. It is rumoured Parker finds out the players that TK likes and tries to promote the better selections.

Out of interest, where is that rumored?

Twig

Quote from: filham on September 15, 2019, 06:00:50 PM
Or from Star Treck, I imagine Scott is acceptable though.
In my book Scott Parker is the best of managers for us, just wish he would start picking up three points at the Cottage on a regular basis and at the same time drawing or winning away.

We are now edging towards mid table, that is not good enough.

Scotty P is a horrible moniker. OP please change the thread header.  Mid table is disappointing but let's give it another four or five games then judge.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Sting of the North on September 18, 2019, 07:35:41 AM

In the "Beano" on the "Bash Street Kids" page.😉

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 18, 2019, 08:51:55 AM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 18, 2019, 07:35:41 AM

In the "Beano" on the "Bash Street Kids" page.😉

Yes I read that, the culprit was called 'Plug', the gormless looking one wearing the flat cap. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.