Leeds certainly are

Started by Fernhurst, September 15, 2019, 02:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on September 20, 2019, 09:17:20 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 20, 2019, 09:05:48 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 19, 2019, 11:45:03 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 19, 2019, 11:13:59 PM
It is not that his career to date really involves that much success. Not really much evidence at all that his methods are successful in the long run.

Indeed. He seems essentially to have a 'cult' following. Or to put it another way, a bit like a stock market bubble - another (much more successful) manager like Guardiola or Pochettino praises him then a load of armchair experts reinforce each other's increasingly positive opinions of him, until their perception of him is a huge bubble with no correlation at all to what he's actually achieved   

Bielsa no doubt has a cult-following, maybe for good reason he discovered Pochettino as a pre-teenager and coached Pep Guardiola as coach before managing Barcelona 2nd XI. As for not having much success, he has won the Olympics Gold Medal 2004, Copa America runner up 2004, Argentine Primera División 1991, Copa Libertadores runner-up 1992, Argentine Primera División 1998, UEFA Europa League runner-up 2012, Copa del Rey runner-up 2012, IFFHS World's Best National Coach 2001 and South American Coach of the Year 2009.

Well done for copy-pasting a list of largely second-place finishes in largely second-rate competitions from Wikipedia.

In a ranking of the most successful managers of all time, where would that put him? I'm guessing about a thousand places below Felix Magath and Claudio Ranieri

But one place above Laurie Sánchez.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 20, 2019, 10:12:42 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 20, 2019, 09:17:20 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 20, 2019, 09:05:48 AM
Quote from: Statto on September 19, 2019, 11:45:03 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on September 19, 2019, 11:13:59 PM
It is not that his career to date really involves that much success. Not really much evidence at all that his methods are successful in the long run.

Indeed. He seems essentially to have a 'cult' following. Or to put it another way, a bit like a stock market bubble - another (much more successful) manager like Guardiola or Pochettino praises him then a load of armchair experts reinforce each other's increasingly positive opinions of him, until their perception of him is a huge bubble with no correlation at all to what he's actually achieved   

Bielsa no doubt has a cult-following, maybe for good reason he discovered Pochettino as a pre-teenager and coached Pep Guardiola as coach before managing Barcelona 2nd XI. As for not having much success, he has won the Olympics Gold Medal 2004, Copa America runner up 2004, Argentine Primera División 1991, Copa Libertadores runner-up 1992, Argentine Primera División 1998, UEFA Europa League runner-up 2012, Copa del Rey runner-up 2012, IFFHS World's Best National Coach 2001 and South American Coach of the Year 2009.

Well done for copy-pasting a list of largely second-place finishes in largely second-rate competitions from Wikipedia.

In a ranking of the most successful managers of all time, where would that put him? I'm guessing about a thousand places below Felix Magath and Claudio Ranieri

But one place above Laurie Sánchez.

Felix Magath and Claudio Ranieri have incredible records as managers (whether they are truly great managers or lucky is debatable), but winning the Argentina Premier League with two underdog teams is still decent. I would point out that Bielsa is brillant at being the runner up and in this league runner up equals success, but I hope your right I would love Leeds to fail.

Woolly Mammoth

I reckon Leeds will be in the mix at the end of season, possibly top two, most certainly top six, and we need to beat them twice in the League if we want the same. Fannying around with a win here and a draw and a defeat there does not strike me as a team that are one of the favourites to get promotion as some people seem to think we are. Yes we need to do the double over teams like Blackburn, but the same goes for teams like Leeds as well, we may even end up playing them in the play offs. 

Never forget your Roots.

Skatzoffc

That's all right then Woolly.

They'll be knackered by then
😆
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

filham

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 15, 2019, 08:27:24 PM
The difference between having Bielsa and Parker.

Our squad is so much better than theirs, and the whole league.
Is our squad that good, we are all aware that we need a commanding figure in defence , now put Mitro to one side and name a player who looks like scoring ten goals this season. We need a goal poacher.

SP

One Martin Thomas

ffc73

Leeds doing a Fulham?

If you are that much on top, score a second & third or pay the price

PossessionKings

Leeds vs Fulham will be the footballing purist game this year in the Championship.

Both teams average 60+% possession

ffc73

Quote from: FFC73 on September 21, 2019, 02:25:22 PM
Leeds doing a Fulham?

If you are that much on top, score a second & third or pay the price

Told you  :031: :doh:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: PossessionKings on September 21, 2019, 03:51:01 PM
Leeds vs Fulham will be the footballing purist game this year in the Championship.

If that is the case then there is going to be too much possession and neither team will have the time or the opportunity to score, as the ball will not find the way to goal. So that's 2 goalless draws, 4 more points lost. 

Never forget your Roots.

PossessionKings

I can't wait to see who wins out.

The Rational Fan

:wow:
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2019, 07:01:19 PM

If that is the case then there is going to be too much possession and neither team will have the time or the opportunity to score, as the ball will not find the way to goal. So that's 2 goalless draws, 4 more points lost.

Depends, I wouldn't be surprised if your "pet dug bettle" is in charge by then, I think half the squad will go on strike when yoga, spas and sauna training is replaced with slide tackling practice when it's dry,  running 90 mins in the rain and every time a player makes a mistake instead of crying with the coach he'll pick up garbage at the cottage for a day.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 21, 2019, 11:24:02 PM
:wow:
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 21, 2019, 07:01:19 PM

Depends, I wouldn't be surprised if your "pet dug bettle" is in charge by then, I think half the squad will go on strike when yoga, spas and sauna training is replaced with slide tackling practice when it's dry,  running 90 mins in the rain and every time a player makes a mistake instead of crying with the coach he'll pick up garbage at the cottage for a day.

My pet Dung Beetle has no current aspirations to manage the team at the moment as he has full confidence in Scott Parker.
But he is looking very withdrawn and depressed at the moment. All attempts to motivate him have failed. I asked him why and he said, despite my reassurances he cannot stop worrying that Seri and Anguissa will come back to play for us again and Fabri will take over in goal.
Naturally he will soon realise that will never happen and he has been worrying for nothing.

Never forget your Roots.