more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 16/09/19...

Started by WhiteJC, September 16, 2019, 07:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Scott Parker says Fulham were punished for abandoning the basics

Scott Parker bemoaned his side's failure to stick to their style, as they threw away the chance of a win at the Cottage against West Brom.

For an hour, his team looked in charge and deservedly led with a goal just after the interval from Anthony Knockaert.

But the Whites boss says his team invited trouble by starting to play longer, turning the match into a '50-50 game of basketball'. And they paid the price when Semi Ajayi headed a late equaliser for the Baggies.

"I'm disappointed overall with the result. I thought the first half we were dominant, had some glorious opportunities really and probably it's fair to say if you go 2-0 up in at half-time, I don't think anyone would be grudging. We were worthy of that really.

"But I felt that after the goal, we probably played into West Brom's hands and got away from what we are about and how I want us to play.

"We turned the game into a bit of a basketball match. We go back to front very early with 50-50 balls all of a sudden, whereas before that I felt we controlled the game and it was on our terms.

"If you are going to pump the ball up to Mitro [Aleksandar Mitrovic] who's got two men around him, there's only a 50-50 chance he's going to win it, so that was a disappointment."

Parker added: "These players, what we're asking of them is how we want them to pay. For one, I feel that's the only way we can play and that's the way we're going to win football matches this year, but for two, I can't say how brave they are. It takes huge bravery to do what they do.

"First half, the crowd were on them a little bit, I sense and edginess about [Marcus] Bettinelli playing out from the back. But why are we doing that? We are doing it for a reason. West Brom are going to sit off us and we need to carve out openings

"The easy option is for Bettinelli to bang it down to Mitrovic, but for me these players and this team will not win football matches like that. I want the players to believe in what they are doing and have the courage and bravery at 1-0 up, or when West Brom are in the ascendancy, to keep doing it."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2019/09/15/Scott-Parker-says-Fulham-were-punished-for-abandoning-the-basics

WhiteJC

Bobby: Two Points Dropped

Bobby Decordova-Reid was disappointed but not disheartened when assessing Fulham's performance against West Brom.

Two points dropped?

Yeah I think so. I think if we get a goal first half then we would have been able to kill them off with a second and we would have won comfortably, but it wasn't to be. Their 'keeper pulled off some decent saves. We've just got to keep on going, not be too disappointed, the game's over now and we've got to look ahead to next week.

It's good that we were at least creating the chances...

There's positives to take. We controlled the game, we played well, it was enjoyable to play in, and I think if we take our chances then on another day we put the game to bed in the first half.

Good to get that first league start?

It was nice. To play for this team is always enjoyable. I want to continue playing, and playing well, and hopefully winning some games.

How did you find it in midfield?

To be fair, the way we play, you say midfield but I've got licence to go forward. I like to do my defensive duties as well so that's never a problem. In this team I know I'm always going to get chances so it's no problem playing that bit deeper.

Must help having Harrison Reed behind you?

He was very good, reading the game and mopping up. He played it simple and started attacks for us. We know what he's capable of and if he keeps doing that then it's only good for the team.

We thought Anthony Knockaert's goal was a shot...

100 per cent a cross! When we celebrated, a few lads were laughing and asking what the hell was he doing there. Thankfully for us we got a bit of luck that we needed with the goal, but I think on another day we could have scored four or five.

Tough trip to Hillsborough next...

It will be a difficult game but we've got to keep playing the way we're playing, control the game, and like I say, the chances will keep coming and we'll score more goals.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/15/bobby-decordova-reid-two-points-dropped

WhiteJC

Fulham: Fans want Marcus Bettinelli dropped after WBA howler

Fulham fans were calling for Marcus Bettinelli to be dropped after the goalkeeper was guilty of gifting West Bromwich Albion their equaliser in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage.

The Whites had taken the lead through Anthony Knockaert's wonder-strike, only for Bettinelli to flap at a West Brom corner that allowed Semi Ajayi to level the scores late on.

Scott Parker's side have now gone three league games without a win, and missed out on the chance of ending the weekend inside the play-off places.

Perhaps Fulham's downturn in form is getting to the fans, with supporters calling for drastic changes following the draw against the Baggies – as Bettinelli was the name on the lips of the Craven Cottage faithful for all the wrong reasons.

Some supporters have urged Parker to select Marek Rodak for their game against Sheffield Wednesday next weekend, as Fulham are set to go an entire month without a win in all competitions:

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham/fulham-fans-want-marcus-bettinelli-dropped-after-wba-howler/

WhiteJC

Thought's on Marcus Bettinelli

Yesterday's result was for me the most disappointing of the season. That might seem a strange thing to say given that West Brom are, on paper, the best team that we have played against this season and will undoubtably be fighting for promotion come May. But with how the game went, I can only come away frustrated and disappointed. We were in complete control of the game against a very strong side, but have handed the Baggies a draw away from home on a plate. We have to learn from this, and quick if we want to stay within touching distance of the teams at the top.

The big talking point coming away from yesterday's game, is whether or not we need a change between the sticks. Marcus Bettinelli hasn't helped his cause so far this season. He has always been a decent shot stopper, but isn't great in other areas. His distribution has constantly been called into question, and he is now making mistakes far too often, costing the team points. But before we start calling for his head, we need to look at things close up, and then look at things in from a wider perspective.

Close up-

Well it doesn't look great, does it? A good corner into the right area, but why is he flapping at that? And why is he trying to claim a foul when Austin did what every front man in world football will do at corners? He just wasn't strong enough, and his reaction has only made it worse. He has now come out and accepted the blame, and fair play to him for that, but really the mistakes need to be cut out.

However, while Betts made the error, there are a couple of other factors involved in this particular occasion. Firstly, why on earth do we not have a man in between Austin and Betts? For me, that's a huge error in judgement from our defensive coaches if it was supposed to be like that. Of course West Brom are going to put Austin in there trying to put the keeper off, so why was Ream, or anyone not there to give him some sort of cover? Also, Mawson can't come away from that scot free. He was supposed to be on Semi Ajayi, but he has let him run off him so easily. For a big lad, he sometimes doesn't use his strength. So, while Betts has made the biggest error of all in this situation, he certainly wasn't helped by his defence.

Wider perspective –

A lot of people won't like this, but I think there are a vocal section of fans who don't help the situation. At Barnsley away I was a couple of rows from the front and Betts was having abuse hurled at him from the word go. His distribution from the start was at it's usual level, but a number of fans were on his back in a pretty abusive way straight away. This isn't helping. Now, I know we have all paid hard earned cash to follow the team up and down the country so therefore have the right to express opinions, but for me there is a huge difference between that and just hurling abuse non-stop. If you honestly think that will encourage our players to up their game then you are mistaken. All it does is make the burden heavier and heavier, until someone will turn around and shout back, which is what I hear may have happened yesterday, although I can't confirm that this. Another example is Cyrus Christie. When he came on against Nottingham Forest a few weeks ago we had some numpties booing him straight away. The guy looked terrified every time he got near the ball, and unfortunately as a fan base WE have to take some of the blame for that. It's embarrassing.

I have no idea who we will start in goal against Sheffield Wednesday, but I do think that Rodak must be in with a chance. If Rodak does get the nod, then it should spur Betts on to up his game. Competition in that area of the pitch is important. But for us as fans, maybe it's time to have a think about how we respond to whoever is on the pitch.

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/09/thoughts-on-marcus-bettinelli/

WhiteJC

Five Thoughts: Fulham 1-1 West Bromwich Albion

Before the whistle, if you'd said to me that Fulham would draw 1-1 against Slaven Bilic's West Bromwich Albion, I would have taken it without question. From such a commanding position, though, our draw against the Baggies feels exactly like another damning defeat.

Reality check, it's not a loss, it's another point in an arduous slog of a campaign but at home, with the goal at our mercy, these are games that we need to be killing off with full conviction. You make hay when the sun's shining, but scorching afternoons by the Thames haven't always boded well for the Whites this season, really.

So, we're now 11th in the standings, three points behind Charlton Athletic who occupy 3rd. Seven games in and we're still a relevant force in this division that will make a mockery of virtually every opponent we face. What we have to do now, however, is regroup and recognise that we've shared a point with another promotion favourite. Lift that chin, we carry on.

Familiar Firepower Frustration
Fulham, as per, held an unrelenting grip on proceedings with 69% possession, although despite our evident dominance, we floundered in our attempts to put the game to bed. Moving forward in the weeks to come, we have to adopt a cutthroat edge when we're in the ascendancy. More often than not, regardless of our measured, finely-tuned approach, we're our own worst enemy.

Slick, fluent combinations arose throughout and our control and mediation on the ball stifled West Brom, and if we took our chances without hesitation, we would have claimed three points at a canter, undoubtedly. Tom Cairney's frame-clapping strike on 15 minutes epitomised the cruel frustration behind our lunchtime outing by the river, and we were subsequently made to rue our complacency in front of the target. The Whites hammered the Baggies with incisive sequences but intricacy doesn't win you matches. Not in the Championship.

With 17 shots registered (6 on target) our conversion rate simply isn't where it'd promised to be, especially with the lethal firepower we have within our armoury. Sam Johnstone, when called upon, safeguarded his goalmouth resolutely but the Whites had more than enough glaring opportunities to rubber-stamp their authority. I've no problem with the manner in which we distribute the ball or how we restrict opponents, the only overbearing offensive factor of our game that's developing into a serious dilemma is the lack of bite in the final third.

Anthony's Audacious Afternoon
Leashing Anthony Knockaert isn't for the faint-hearted, that's for sure. Fullbacks quiver at the sight of his name on the team sheet before kick-off and West Brom's Nathan Ferguson was not in line for a leisurely afternoon down by the river. "Knocky" roamed his channel menacingly, twisting and darting into threatening areas, and whilst the Baggies' 18-year-old left-back scrambled to contain him, the Frenchman was inspired to influence the game persistently.

The 27-year-old had license to dip inside and rifle fizzing efforts at the target, and if an opening to propel goal bound failed to materialise, he'd opt to spread play to the next available outlet, prolonging Fulham's impending spells on the parameter of West Brom's 18-yard box. Knockaert was our brightest spark on the break and never gave up, and one flash of audacity was all it took to cap off a fine performance.

Was it a cross? Not on your life. AK's only intention was to greet ball with top bins. Fulham don't score tap ins, they net worldies and Knockaert's 48th-minute dink was certainly within that category. It was sublime, unthinkable, and though it didn't clinch us three points in the end, it was worthy of winning any game in any division. We enjoyed that very much, Anthony, so plate us up some more limbs next Saturday at Hillsbrough, yeah?

Reed Rules Roost
Speaking of tireless enforcers of philosophy, Harrison Reed protected the centre of the park like a man in fire. In Harry Arter's absence, the Southampton loanee was selected to blanket our creaky back four and he did so without fatigue. Our midfield's graced with ingenious technicians but Reed was the driving force that meshed attack and defence together in perfect harmony.

Without delay, Reed charged into action and disrupted West Brom's triangle of Romaine Sawyers, Jake Livermore and Matheus Pereira. Disciplined in his positioning, the 24-year-old understood when to press and when to retreat, an awareness that will be hugely beneficial to Fulham's engine room as the season progresses. Arter's versed in his profession, but I must admit, Reed offers our midfield a higher gear to shift into, a dynamism that the Republic of Ireland international can't compete with or equal.

He did the simple things well, and that's all you ask for in a Championship anchorman. No need for flamboyance, just let your opponent know you're there and that you're not a soft touch. Surely, at this level, there's no one better to learn your trade from than Scott Parker if you aspire to be a practical holding midfielder, and it seems as though Reed's picked up a trick or two from the gaffer himself. Hard hitting, dogged, systematic, the diminutive despot was my personal Man of the Match candidate.

Bye-Bye, Betts
Is anyone still banging Marcus Bettinelli's drum after that calamitous flap? Asking for a mate. A divide's always been apparent where Betts is concerned but I'm not sitting on the fence, I think Marek Rodak should get the nod against Sheffield Wednesday and if he doesn't, Denis Odoi would be my next choice. Not his finest hour, but how many times have we said that within the last few weeks? I've lost count. We need a solid No.1 and Betts isn't that guy.

It was a bread and butter, routine catch for Betts but his hands are seemingly made of soggy pink wafers, so of course the visitors hit back due to his flimsy tendencies between the sticks. He's never been able to adequately contest for lofted crosses, he baulks at the sight of an airborne ball, so why are we denying Rodak the right to make the position his own? The Slovakian was raved about during his time at Rotherham United and I want to witness his appreciated expertise first hand, too.

One of our own or not, the 27-year-old lost us two extra points, essentially, and whilst our attackers didn't widen the gap at the other end of the turf, Betts made a torrid hash of his elemental responsibilities as well, and he had bugger all to do all afternoon, basically. I'm not after another goalkeeping conundrum like last term, I – like many others – just believe that resolve resides in Rodak. If anything, it'll also act as another invaluable period in Bettinelli's career as well, being dislodged for a second consecutive season and all that.

Reid's Revised Responsibilities
Deployed in an abstract position, in relation to what he's accustomed to, Bobby Reid operated alongside Tom Cairney and Reed as though he'd marshalled a midfield three for the duration of his career to date. A seamless integration, we could see the Cardiff City loanee feature in that capacity fairly frequently this season. I am stupidly excited for this appetising prospect to become a regular reality.

The 26-year-old collected possession and interlinked efficiently with Knockaert and Aleksandar Mitrovic predominantly, but as the game reached its natural tempo with momentum in Fulham's favour, Reid drifted across the breadth of the pitch, acting as a free-roaming catalyst. Presented with opportunities to test the target, the adaptable attacker could have tallied a goal or two, but as Johnstone's palms were primed, the Jamaica international will have to wait another week to open his account for the campaign.

Odoi's our defensive utility man and Reid is our offensive equivalent. Placed behind Mitro', on either side of the Serb or, ingeniously, within a midfield trio, the intelligent hitman will apply himself positively to the cause. Reid surged into congested gullies, zipped into tight pockets and stroked possession into various destinations without panic or alarm. A weapon of industry, Reid, until he was subbed in the 85th minute, enabled the Whites to advance freely, complimenting the club's vibrant, expressive style.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-09-15-five-thoughts-fulham-1-1-west-bromwich-albion/